PDA

View Full Version : Present day "YOU are the protagonist!" .. No..

SwagsTheDawg
11-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I was not too fussed in IV and Rogue, but this whole "YOU are the protagonist!" approach is the silliest thing ever (in my opinion). AC has lost it's movie like quality which is something it needs to have for me to be able to enjoy it. I would have preferred if the first person Abstergo employee was just a random nobody and Ubisoft got on with maybe making a new main character to follow or maybe sections of the present day where you play as Shaun or Rebecca tackling different endeavors for the assassin's or something. Once people in the game start talking to you as a player and ask you to make decisions, well the game becomes less romanticized if you know what i mean.

I guess it's a normal part of making video games. To have made something so great which inevitably will become commercialized and a reflection of the game companies insecurities and desire to be loved and make lot's of money, thus leaving us with cliche games full of recycled plots and character personalities. I'm so sad now :(

JustPlainQuirky
11-22-2014, 08:27 PM
I agree so much.

Everytime the game called ME an initiate, I threw up a bit.

PedroAntonio2
11-22-2014, 10:25 PM
They want to please the casual gamers, who seems to be too lazy to even do some search about the story of previous games before buying an AC Game. Instead of thinking of doing a game for the fans, they just want to sell their sh*t at any cost and writing a predictable and lazy storyline ( Like all that predictable plot about the Sage in ACU...seriously ? Everyone who played ACIV knew who was the Sage ) .

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Everytime the game called ME an initiate, I threw up a bit.

Me too. I mean, I know fully well that I'm not an initiate, so it just destroys any sense of suspension of disbelief. I think they think it makes it more real, but it doesn't - it makes it less real.

ShoryukenMan
11-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Definitely agree. I only like to play as "myself" when I play an rpg like skyrim or dragon age, or something like that. We're in the minority on this, though, my friend. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't like the modern day storyline. For me, it connected the whole series. Now I just feel like we're exploring these places "just because." I'll still get some enjoyment out of the games mechanics, but the story itself probably won't interest me. Without MD, this series is no longer a day one purchase. It's what kept me excited and eager to get my hands on the next game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 11:15 PM
I was never a fan of Desmond, and I actually was glad when he died. But I would never have wanted this to happen. I just wanted a different modern day protagonist.

I also hated the modern day storyline, but only because I felt it was too detached from the rest of the story and too puzzle-oriented. But I want a modern day story - just not the badly written one they kept giving us.

I actually liked the modern day story when they went to Monteriggioni - I thought that worked really well (well, until they killed Lucy). It felt like that archaeology show "Time Team". I was even starting to warm up to Desmond, as he was getting a bit more confident. But in AC3, it just went bad again.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Even if they do get another MD protagonist, he/she would just be unused and undeveloped like Desmond because the Historical aspect comes first.

Then fans will harp again about how he/she is boring, unimportant, annoying, etc. :rolleyes:

Mr.Black24
11-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Even if they do get another MD protagonist, he/she would just be unused and undeveloped like Desmond because the Historical aspect comes first.

Then fans will harp again about how he/she is boring, unimportant, annoying, etc. :rolleyes:I'll never understand how is he unimportant. The guy died...for 7 billion people!!!!! He saved all life on Earth, and yet we get the fanbase harking on him, because what, let me guess..."he isn't charismatic as Ezio?" His Assassin ancestors should be proud, if you ask me...and I bet they are too.

I have wishful thinkings that Desmond is making martinis for all his ancestors, just talking about hidden blades and stuff....:rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 11:57 PM
I'll never understand how is he unimportant. The guy died...for 7 billion people!!!!! He saved all life on Earth, and yet we get the fanbase harking on him, because what, let me guess..."he isn't charismatic as Ezio?" His Assassin ancestors should be proud, if you ask me...and I bet they are too.

I have wishful thinkings that Desmond is making martinis for all his ancestors, just talking about hidden blades and stuff....:rolleyes:

I believe all of it stems from him not being as developed or considered equal to the plot as his Ancestors.

Altair, Ezio, and Connor all played their parts, but the focus should've been that the buck began and ended with Desmond which they started to go with...then he died. -__-

I don't understand the hate for Desmond either, I've watched him from AC1-AC3 and just don't see it really.

wvstolzing
11-23-2014, 12:02 AM
It felt like that archaeology show "Time Team".

And Desmond would be the Tony Robinson of the group?

I would have tried a 'Worst Jobs', or 'Blackadder' joke here; but I'm too tired right now. :)

Actually, MD would have worked a LOT better, if it were about the adventures of a group of researchers (Assassin or not), unraveling the secrets of a past Assassin's life. In that context, there could still be a 'subject 16'-type character; only that he'd be a rogue assassin/researcher gone mad, because he'd have discovered 'the terrible truth' about the origins of mankind. 'The truth' video could still be there ---- perhaps our researchers would find first-civ video recordings, and the means to play them, etc.

The Animus stretches the limits of *reasonable* suspension of disbelief too far. And right now, those 'limits' have been overstretched so far, that we're left with this home console nonsense. The Animus--*not* the MD component--is the worst design decision of the series.

wvstolzing
11-23-2014, 12:03 AM
It felt like that archaeology show "Time Team".

And Desmond would be the Tony Robinson of the group?

I would have tried a 'Worst Jobs', or 'Blackadder' joke here; but I'm too tired right now. :)

Actually, MD would have worked a LOT better, if it were about the adventures of a group of researchers (Assassin or not), unraveling the secrets of a past Assassin's life. In that context, there could still be a 'subject 16'-type character; only that he'd be a rogue assassin/researcher gone mad, because he'd have discovered 'the terrible truth' about the origins of mankind. 'The truth' video could still be there ---- perhaps our researchers would find first-civ video recordings, and the means to play them, etc.

The Animus stretches the limits of *reasonable* suspension of disbelief too far. And right now, those 'limits' have been overstretched so far, that we're left with this home console nonsense. The Animus--*not* the MD component--is the worst design decision of the series.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Actually, MD would have worked a LOT better, if it were about the adventures of a group of researchers (Assassin or not), unraveling the secrets of a past Assassin's life...

Damned right! Heck, Ubisoft, give this guy a job.

Heck, I didn't like Desmond, but if I'd known they were going to replace a 30-something bartender/assassin with a 52 year-old basement-dwelling picture framer, history geek and software hacker (i.e. me), I'd have been Desmond's biggest fan.

Namikaze_17
11-23-2014, 12:10 AM
52 year-old basement-dwelling picture framer, history geek and software hacker (i.e. me)

TMI, much? :rolleyes:

wvstolzing
11-23-2014, 12:11 AM
** double post: blame AT&T and my flaky internet connection **

ps. I'd definitely appreciate a job at ubisoft; I'm sure they pay their people better than slave wages (?!), which is what universities pay their teaching assistants.

IntoTheGray
11-23-2014, 01:01 AM
I think the main problem with Ac is that they mess all up. One team doesnīt know what the other does.

In AC.BF they said that you would play yourself, in the AcInitiates Network podcast 9 they say that the guy from AC:BF was just some random guy and now you play yourself. Moreover they introduced Juno as the big new threat, but now the main threat are the templars again, because Juno is too weak.
Only one team should write present day story and that team shoud tell the other teams who develop the games what they have to implement story wise. To my mind that would be way better for the plot.
Back when Desmond died they said they canīt do further present day mission, because places like Brasil need to many new assets. In AC:U they model the eifel tower, air planes and ww2 solders.

They start a new acinitiates.com, but thereīs is no more wiki for the important dates in ac universe and no more surveilance. Surveilance was the main point why I followed acinitiates on twitter and why I visited the website, because the plot never stopped. Every week there was a small amount of info and so many more theories on forums what could happen next. Thatīs something I realy miss.

The end of initiates surveilance was not convincing. Will uncovers a hidden organization the assassins never heard about and the first thing he does is asking if the spies want to join them. Thatīs a thing I could still live with. But Shaun and Rebecca send one e-mail to all initiates and *magic*... all of them help the assassins. I mean ok the initiates want a balance between templar and assassins, who are near exstrinction, but thatīs way too easy.

Another silly thing is, why do I join the initiates now? I joined them more than a year ago. If AC:U was some random guy ok, but I play me, so I should be an initiate.

The assassins should have invited the random guy(/ourself) from AC:BF to the assassins hideout and should have told him what happened in the last year.and then let him join the initiates as a agent. All who of us who joined acinitiates before, would then be double agents.

JustPlainQuirky
11-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Me too. I mean, I know fully well that I'm not an initiate, so it just destroys any sense of suspension of disbelief. I think they think it makes it more real, but it doesn't - it makes it less real.

yeah it always puts me in a bad mood

Namikaze_17
11-23-2014, 01:18 AM
yeah it always puts me in a bad mood

You two should start a revolution of your own and stop this. :rolleyes:

SwagsTheDawg
11-23-2014, 01:30 AM
I just don't like that i'm the protagonist now.. Even if they did something like reveal that the employee was in fact William or someone else we know and love (obviously bad from a stealth point of view) i would be far more happier than i am now.

I feel alone in liking the present day story up until the end of III when it got way too sci-fi. Yeah the game was obviously already sci-fi but i mean it went next level sci-fi. AC1 was perfect in that we only got a small taste of sci-fi when learning about the POE and the map to more POE's. AC II was great as well, though obviously Ubisoft dug themselves into a pretty deep hole basing the main premise around the 2012 Mayan conspiracy, sort of putting an expiration date on the story. It was good while it lasted though and the mysteries were many! Especially with Clay leaving his bits and pieces everywhere to find revealing crazy things about the past.

I'm not too keen on this whole Skynet situation. I mean.. Juno situation..

I liked the present day story all the way until the end of ACIII when it got too sci-fi for my taste. I just wish there were more parts like when Desmond searched the Colosseum. That was a fun way to end the game. The mysteriousness of that whole situation was enough to give me tingles.

ze_topazio
11-23-2014, 01:32 AM
I understand Ubisoft's desire to have a sexy man beast such as myself for their main character, but I ain't interested.

They could have easily created a third person character with minimum personality just to wander around Abstergo's offices instead of the flying tablet or someone behind some menus, they could have a new one for each entry if necessary, no need to even continuing their storyline.

How can I pretend to be the Abstergo's researcher if they specifically mention that the person in Rogue is not the same from AC4? the guy in AC4 was me, but the guy in Rogue is not the same from last year, so it's not me but it is me after all, mind blowing.

SwagsTheDawg
11-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Oh, i thought AC IV, Rogue and Unity were all the same employee? Well, cool what ever lol

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 02:14 AM
It's the best twist of all time. Come on, guys

You're an Abstergo employee, but you're not, you're an Initiate Assassin AND Templar all at the same time.

ze_topazio
11-23-2014, 02:20 AM
And in the end turns out we were Desmond all along but we didn't knew because we had amnesia.

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 02:21 AM
And in the end turns out we were Desmond all along but we didn't knew because we had amnesia.
Or just regular Desmond, he's a dummy..."Go here, Desmond" "Yes" "Do this, Dazman" "Yez"

Namikaze_17
11-23-2014, 02:22 AM
Or we're an Assassin in the year 2135 who's looking through memories in the Helix... :rolleyes:

*Cue Suspense Music*

TwentyGlyphs
11-23-2014, 02:29 AM
Yeah, this new setup is just not that interesting. I don't mind just making everything about the series take place in the digital world and having me run around different servers getting encrypted data like the Rifts, but there should still be more story to it. Maybe we encounter Juno in the Helix and have to escape from her. There's just no tension or suspense to this story. Juno's out there. Ooh, scary stuff... they haven't shown her doing anything. Abstergo is not that interesting or scary anymore after AC3. They seem so incompetent. And starting an entertainment company? And having the modern day story focus on Abstergo Entertainment? That's just too dull.

And what's up with the Helix being some kind of virtual reality headset that you wear? Why isn't it just a console hooked up to my TV like I'm actually using in real life? If you're trying to take things meta and mimic the real world, why do only some aspects of it?

One of the database entries you unlock through the Rifts hints at Juno's big plan involving getting humanity to follow her into "The Grey." She says humanity is unsuitable to be a host for her, so it seems she's planning on getting humanity into this digital realm similar to how Subject 16 was "alive" inside the Animus. I wouldn't be surprised if the series uses this to make more and more things happen inside the digital world of the Helix, so we'll play ourselves with a Helix avatar moving through "The Grey" at times.

The new modern day is also unrealistic, because we all know in real life the Initiates site works like crap, so I doubt they could actually keep a connection to my Helix system stable enough to see the memories I'm uncovering and keep track of them. ;)

D.I.D.
11-23-2014, 02:42 AM
And what's up with the Helix being some kind of virtual reality headset that you wear? Why isn't it just a console hooked up to my TV like I'm actually using in real life? If you're trying to take things meta and mimic the real world, why do only some aspects of it?

Think about this again when Oculus Rift's consumer model becomes the biggest selling peripheral of the year ;)

SixKeys
11-23-2014, 03:33 AM
I don't have a huge problem with the "you are the protagonist" if only they were consistent about it. Like many people said, this current approach just isn't working. Unity's idea is all right, but needs to be better executed. They're trying to sell you this fantasy of you being a perfectly unsuspecting, normal person just sitting at home playing a video game when suddenly you're contacted by what can only be described as shady hackers who tell you all this crazy stuff about assassins and Templars. Any normal person would disconnect and call the cops, but we just carry on and "congratulations, you're an assassin now!". Are we really to believe the modern assassins have zero standards?

Like someone suggested, it would be better if instead of ourselves we were pretending to be an independent researcher who snoops around too much and gets entangled in the assassin/templar conflict against their will. Basically like how Shaun got recruited.

SwagsTheDawg
11-23-2014, 05:23 AM
It's the best twist of all time. Come on, guys

You're an Abstergo employee, but you're not, you're an Initiate Assassin AND Templar all at the same time.

Mate, i'd even be fine with that, it's just that i don't want it to be ME who is the protagonist. It absolutely MUST be a character with a name and a face just like a character from any movie. I can't take in the story in any real deep kind of poetic way unless it is played out like a movie. Involving me as a person to be the main character is just weird, cheesy and it cannot be romanticized in any way at all.

SORRYY but AC is heading way down on my fav games list. I don't want it to be that way, but apparently i'm weird and have different a taste compared to popular demand.

MnemonicSyntax
11-23-2014, 05:31 AM
I'm not sure how you can't say you're not an Initiate if you sign up on the Initiates website. Unless you don't. But if you do, you're an Initiate.

Problem with modern day is that people want to go all Assassin-y in modern day, and that's not something Ubisoft really wants to do it seems, having dabbled in it in AC3.

SwagsTheDawg
11-23-2014, 05:37 AM
That's what makes me feel apart from the rest of the fans. I thought the idea of being a present day chap searching for artifacts from the past via animus technology was a great premise. I guess i don't know why everyone is so hungry for action. I like those intimate moments when Desmond is talking to the team. Especially when he talks to Shaun, and Shaun having his sarcastic Ricky Gervais like attitude lol

SixKeys
11-23-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm not sure how you can't say you're not an Initiate if you sign up on the Initiates website. Unless you don't. But if you do, you're an Initiate.

Problem with modern day is that people want to go all Assassin-y in modern day, and that's not something Ubisoft really wants to do it seems, having dabbled in it in AC3.

I think the argument is that we don't feel like "real" Initiates because we know it's all pretend. The game tries to tell us "hey, you're an assassin now!" but we know that's not true. We know we're just slobs sitting behind a screen with a controller in our hands, not part of a real secret society. Ubi is trying to sell the fantasy that YOU, the real, actual you, are an Initiate, but it's not done well enough to sell us on the idea. The setup is too vague, there's no explanation for Initiates in the game and the website doesn't explain itself. We're supposed to simultaneously pretend we've never heard of the Initiates (or assassins or Templars) before, while at the same time most of us have been registered on the website for over a year. It's a poorly crafted fantasy.

I-Like-Pie45
11-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Initiates, Abstergo Researchers, Assassins, Templars, you...

In the end, no matter what names are bestowed, we are one and one are we.

We are the Gentry and the world of the Assassin's Creed is the Fell.

SwagsTheDawg
11-23-2014, 08:04 AM
I think you would have to be aged 13 and under or mentally ill to fully immerse into this new initiates story dealio XD

Sabuto78
11-23-2014, 08:24 AM
they could have made Desmond the ultimate assassin and have us doing nice modern day missions like ones in AC3, then just hop into the animus whenever we felt like it. **** they could have even gave desmond his own base to explore lewl.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-23-2014, 08:24 AM
You know folks, we players should be very afraid - especially if any of us are women. Ubisoft's tendency to kill off characters is legendary, and now they've decided we're the main character in the present day storyline. It's only a matter of time until we disappoint them somehow and they decide to get all electrocutey or stabby on us. Based on the game's major character death rate, I give us about a 60% chance of survival for male players, but only 40% for female players (Ubisoft is like that - they love killing women).

Sabuto78
11-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Does that make ubi templars or assassin? :rolleyes: