PDA

View Full Version : Freerunning - perfected concept in AC?

MatrixCerberus
11-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I have noticed alot of people seem to be inclined to think that Arno's free-running mechanic is broken, or at least bonkers, where he jumps off in the wrong direction or does something completely unexpected. Personally i'm on the last mission and i havent even noticed this once. In AC2 and AC:B I lost count of how many times i died due to Ezio jumping off in the completely wrong direction, and in Unity - not once.

I'm curious to see how many people here think that the mechanics for free running is pretty damn awesome.

SixKeys
11-22-2014, 11:35 AM
It's still pretty bad. Parkour in AC1-ACB was the most precise it's ever been (not counting ACR because **** the hookblade). The AC3 system was horrid and Unity has inherited much of its imprecision. The "parkour up/parkour down" controls are a great idea, but Arno's aiming leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes he jumps in the opposite direction from where I am pointing. Not to mention all the times my stealth approach has been ruined because Arno grabs on to the wrong ledge where everyone can see him and refuses to drop down or move sideways, basically leaving me stuck until I get shot down by snipers.

Lass4rus
11-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Its clearly not *bad* as I dont know of another game that has the freedom or believeability in movement as the AC games have.

AC Unity IS a big step forward with up-down controls and another step forward in believeable animation (if exaggerated), BUT its not always clear what going up or down will do, the precision isnt there yet. With AC Unity being the first in the new line of games I expect the next game to be more refined in its freerunning. One of the major tasks Ubi should handle by next years time.

Again, freerunning is a much more perfected concept in AC than in any other game I know of, but I still voted "havent decided".

ace3001
11-22-2014, 12:48 PM
AC Unity tried to fix what wasn't broken and ****ed up. While AC3 and AC4's free running wasn't as good as I wanted them to be, they were still very much functional. Not so much in the case of Unity. I've lost count of the number of moments where I had to awkwardly shuffle around trying to get around a small obstacle try to get Arno unstuck from where he had got himself apparently permanently planted all the while a guard is getting close and I'm hoping to be stealthy.

MatrixCerberus
11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
AC Unity tried to fix what wasn't broken and ****ed up. While AC3 and AC4's free running wasn't as good as I wanted them to be, they were still very much functional. Not so much in the case of Unity. I've lost count of the number of moments where I had to awkwardly shuffle around trying to get around a small obstacle try to get Arno unstuck from where he had got himself apparently permanently planted all the while a guard is getting close and I'm hoping to be stealthy.

Hm i think i can agree on this. If they had used AC3 along with the controlled ascent then they'd have a pretty good set of controls.

DraconisLupus
11-22-2014, 03:43 PM
I can't count the number of times in AC2-AC4 that the jump didn't match the direction I was even facing. Which was extremely frustrating during race side missions. And just for an FYI I have 100% Sync in all of them. In Unity I am only at the beginning of Sequence 4 but have collected all the chests that do not require lock picking, have all the Nostradamus glyphs done, and currently working on other side missions. In Rogue I have only done the very first Memory but it feels like it will be a repeat of AC3 & AC4. The only thing that I have had issues with its entering windows and getting him to drop.I hit the B button but he continues to hang on until I mash it several times. Over the roof top free running is a lot better. I would much rather do race missions, chase missions, item chases, and other roof top free running missions with the new system. The only other thing that seems to be of with roof top stuff is the assassination distance.

D.I.D.
11-22-2014, 04:20 PM
It's really hard to get right. Generally, it's good. It's neither "pretty bad" nor "awesome", but it's pretty awkward. You get used to it, but you have a giant advantage if you've dealt with the idiosyncrasies of AC parkour in the past. If you don't, you've got a huge amount to forgive, and I think a lot of us forget that.

It's also easy to forget when you're playing what's actually going on under the hood. You think "Go THERE. I am pointing RIGHT THERE. GO." But as a player, each of us locks into the game in ways that aren't so easy to cover in the design. Forward on the analogue stick can mean both "up vertically" and "forward on my current level". From different angles, when climbing a wall, "left" can mean "left" or "up", or "go past this window", or "go through this window".

Perhaps it could benefit from a selection glow for windows and doors, in the same way character selection lets you choose a target for aerial assassination? I'd really like to see fewer object highlights in the game if possible, but if the only way to achieve accurate traversal is to have Dishonored Blink-style targeting, then maybe that's worth a try.

I'm puzzled that there was no mention of the need for double jump in my game, or maybe I missed it after turning off Tutorials to free up my HUD? The reverse jump pushing off the wall is not RT + A, as the game says, but RT + A,A. Similarly A won't let you jump off a high roof directly, but you can with A,A. The double tap seems to be the key to doing lots of things that Arno doesn't want to do.