PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Icon Moving after quit game or alt-tab

ronli_84
11-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Does anyone see this issue where if you alt-tab out of the game, or quit the game, the desktop 7th row of desktop icon will shift downwards (leaving the 7th row icon empty)?

I am having this issue consistently with Assassin's Creed Unity.

P.S. I have "Align icon to grid" checked on desktop. Running Windows 8.1

Update from my investigation:

Setting I am using
1080p desktop, 1080p in game
Fullscreen
Ultra setting with aa set to FXAA

I tried numerous setting:
1.) "Personalized" -> "Change desktop icons" -> Uncheck "Allow themes to change desktop icons"
Doesn't help

2.) Roll Nvidia driver to 344.60
Doesn't help

3.) Changing monitor (Was originally using a 120hz monitor), switched to a 60hz monitor
Doesn't help

4.) Turn off in game "stretching" option
Doesn't help

5.) Nvidia Control Panel -> "Adjust desktop size and position" -> "No scaling"
Doesn't help

6.) Uncheck "Align to grid" on desktop
Icon doesn't move anymore. But makes creating a clean desktop icon layout a hassle

7.) In-game, switch to "Borderless Window"
Icon doesn't move anymore

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 10:50 PM
You lost me at Windows 8.1 ... don't have any experience with that, I'm afraid :c (I was about to try and provide a constructive, helpful response, for the record. ... Good deed done! :D)

BlackLord049
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Dude I had the same issue today (win 8.1)

ronli_84
11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
I was originally gaming on my Windows 7 pc, and actually never have this issue.

However I just recently (2 days ago) built a new pc with some updated components (and also thinking I might as well use the latest OS).
This issue started appearing on my Win 8.1 desktop

What operating system do you use? What was the suggestion you were going to make?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One weird thing I notice is when I alt-tab out of the game, and mouse-over the Assassin Creed icon at the taskbar. I see a small white window align to the top left of the preview (the rest is black). It seems somehow the game is rending something in a smaller resolution and pushing my icons away (a byproduct of the align to grid setting)

ronli_84
11-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Updated original post with more info

ronli_84
11-28-2014, 06:39 AM
No one else encounter the same thing?

ronli_84
12-01-2014, 04:40 AM
One last time, seriously no one else encounter this issue?

Anykeyer
12-01-2014, 08:30 AM
LOL. Have the same problem but on Windows 7 and with desktop gadgets instead of icons.
Some of the gadgets I pinned to the right side of my screen change position almost each time I play ACU. Never had this problem before.

ronli_84
12-01-2014, 09:36 AM
LOL. Have the same problem but on Windows 7 and with desktop gadgets instead of icons.
Some of the gadgets I pinned to the right side of my screen change position almost each time I play ACU. Never had this problem before.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The reason I got frustrated about this issue is because I am not sure if this behavior is caused by the new computer I built, the Windows version I use... or some random thing I did when I freshly installed my OS.

Your reply proves at least 2 other ppl observes the same thing I do :P

ZZZHarpy2007
12-29-2014, 02:23 AM
No one else encounter the same thing? I have also a Win 8.1 rig and get that bug but not always. Cannot reproduce the exact circumstance when it does and when it doesn't. I tried your tip about removing the "align to grid". Will see if it's working. I will let you know if it occurs again. Thanks for the tip.

KmarkoPL
12-29-2014, 04:05 AM

Got exactly same problem .
And I noticed the gadgets move to the position like the screen was 720p

ronli_84
12-29-2014, 04:40 AM
I have also a Win 8.1 rig and get that bug but not always. Cannot reproduce the exact circumstance when it does and when it doesn't. I tried your tip about removing the "align to grid". Will see if it's working. I will let you know if it occurs again. Thanks for the tip.

I start noticing other games have similar behavior (such as Crysis 3)
My suspicion is how Windows 8.1 handles temporary switch in resolution in-game.

I'm not sure how this happens on Windows 7, as I never had this issue before until I got this new rig with Win 8.1 installed

H17lerWasRight
05-31-2017, 01:25 PM
It probably is the change of the resolution.Say that you run your system at your monitor's recommended resolution(ex.1920x1080) and the game runs at lower resolution for performance reasons or because you havent changed it(ex.1366x768) while you are playing a game at that resolution your icons switch places to fit your screen and when you close your game it doesnt change the position because now it has even more space.

DSD27
05-31-2017, 04:04 PM
I had this problem when using Nvidia DSR, I have a 1080p monitor and I use DSR to render 1440p and 4K in some games, because the resolution in-game was different from the desktop resolution, the icons would get out of place. But this problem got fixed some weeks ago on the latest Windows 10 big updates, now the icons never go anywhere.
If you for some reason want to use an older version of windows (can't think of one), use this utility https://funk.eu/icu-icon-configuration-utility/

naumaan
05-31-2017, 05:40 PM
It probably is the change of the resolution.Say that you run your system at your monitor's recommended resolution(ex.1920x1080) and the game runs at lower resolution for performance reasons or because you havent changed it(ex.1366x768) while you are playing a game at that resolution your icons switch places to fit your screen and when you close your game it doesnt change the position because now it has even more space.

that pretty much summarize what I wanted to say, I have a 4k led and when I connect my laptop which supports 2k for media purpose only, it changes the desktop icon places, icon sizes, font sizes and sometimes scroll bar sizes and many things.