PDA

View Full Version : I hate that they brought back the medicine health system

Dan77777777777
11-19-2014, 06:18 PM
It is stupid because you can easily heal yourself during combat, which essentially defeats the purpose of making it more difficult. It's inconvenient to have to keep buying medicine as well. What was wrong with the regenerating health system?

ace3001
11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Medicine back.
Whistle gone.
Ambient music gone yet again.

This game is a few steps forward and many steps back.

You kidding?

Health gives incentive to actually go to the store. And you need it when a single bullet can take away 90% of your health.

Regenerating health takes away sense of urgency IMO

That's not the point, though. When you have a stack of 10+ medicine, you almost never are at risk of dying even if you go headlong into combat. 90% health gone? Use medicine! It'll heal you completely! With regenerating health, this wouldn't be possible.

JustPlainQuirky
11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
You kidding?

Health gives incentive to actually go to the store. And you need it when a single bullet can take away 90% of your health.

Namikaze_17
11-19-2014, 06:27 PM
If anything, I think both Medicine and Regenerating health take away the challenge.

Both feel like cheat codes to me...

JustPlainQuirky
11-19-2014, 06:30 PM
i thought you could only have up to 5 medicine

rrebe
11-19-2014, 06:32 PM

At default, yes. There's upgrades that come with some equipment, like belts.

ladosefan
11-19-2014, 06:34 PM
i had the exact same thoughts on medicine.one way to ease your pain is unlock group healing which is a self heal with cooldown.it almost feels like health regeneration :o

ace3001
11-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Armor upgrades will handle that for you. http://i.imgur.com/H1DxyDu.jpg

EmptyCrustacean
11-19-2014, 06:56 PM
It is stupid because you can easily heal yourself during combat, which essentially defeats the purpose of making it more difficult. It's inconvenient to have to keep buying medicine as well. What was wrong with the regenerating health system?

I don't mind it. Only problem is that it's so expensive! As are the lock picks!

Fatal-Feit
11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Health potions was a stupid decision. I can literally take on 20-30+ guards with my surplus. Ammunition is much more balanced than before, I'll give it that, but it's still broken AF.

If it was capped at, say, 4-6 potions MAX, then it'd be alright. Start players off at 2 potions and then have them upgrade for more but cap it at no more than 6. And 6 should have some major trade-offs, as well.

D.I.D.
11-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I can see both sides of this. On one hand, yes, it takes away the difficulty. On the other, in order to earn a massive loadout of health, you need to have proved yourself earlier on in the game when you didn't have those resources. Also, you're going to have a pretty hard time beating some of the co-op missions solo without cheesing health and smoke, given that the mission won't let you stray very far from the friendly NPCs.

SixKeys
11-19-2014, 10:23 PM
I was the first one to cry "NOOOOOO!!!" when I heard ACU was bringing back medicine. I thought it would ruin the combat. However, I think the game has a good enough balance between challenging combat and the convenience of medicine. I'll confess to healing myself a lot in the heat of battle, but I still occasionally get shot or impaled due to carelessness. Some outfits allow you to carry more medicine, but unless you stick with the same one throughout the whole game, you're mostly limited to 5 bottles. In the Ezio games once you upgraded armor, you automatically gained the ability to carry more and you couldn't downgrade even if you wanted to. In my opinion ACU combat is challenging enough that medicine has the right to exist.

TorQue1988
11-20-2014, 06:28 PM
I like the medicine but they should mix it up so you can't heal yourself during combat. In other words if you are hit you need to win the battle or escape, buy medicine (if you don't already have some) and then heal yourself while incognito.
This way it would be harder, more strategic and more logical.

jetlee2777
11-20-2014, 06:39 PM
I like the medicine but they should mix it up so you can't heal yourself during combat. In other words if you are hit you need to win the battle or escape, buy medicine (if you don't already have some) and then heal yourself while incognito.

If you canīt heal yourself during combat,that would even more suck imao cause some enemies are tough and there attacks can kill you with a few hits.

And which armor you have to buy to upgrade the medicine to nine bottles?

darksavior1977
11-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Combat isn't really more difficult, you are just stripped down in this one until you buy some of what assassin's had in previous games. Once you have some of the top tier weapons, and a little gear to expand your supply of medicine and bombs etc, its actually easier than previous games, but now almost no fun, because most of what made combat interesting has been stripped out of this game. Less combat options than even the first game. They blew it with this one.

DynaRider
11-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Nothing says you have to use medicine in combat. If you don't want to then don't push the drink medicine button.

Fatal-Feit
11-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Combat isn't really more difficult, you are just stripped down in this one until you buy some of what assassin's had in previous games. Once you have some of the top tier weapons, and a little gear to expand your supply of medicine and bombs etc, its actually easier than previous games, but now almost no fun, because most of what made combat interesting has been stripped out of this game. Less combat options than even the first game. They blew it with this one.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's easier than the previous, but it is fairly moderate after some progression. But this game isn't Dark Souls or whatever, so I don't care. If it has a decent level of difficulty, enough to make me cautious, I'm satisfied.

TorQue1988
11-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Nothing says you have to use medicine in combat. If you don't want to then don't push the drink medicine button.
The point is that you SHOULDN'T be able to use it in combat...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2014, 09:29 PM

I agree. Now there's no reason to run from combat, nor is there any reason to improve your combat skills so that you can counter and dodge rather than soaking up damage..

TheMadToeCutter
11-20-2014, 09:33 PM

Nah, it's way better this way. Makes you think before battling.

jetlee2777
11-21-2014, 05:01 AM

It is cause when they got to many,and you canīt heal yourself anymore during a combat then you will mostly die pretty much.

So what is now the armor called with,which you can carry more than only five medicine bottles?

Thanks.

Im2aKillerfish
11-21-2014, 08:54 AM
It is cause when they got to many,and you canīt heal yourself anymore during a combat then you will mostly die pretty much.

So what is now the armor called with,which you can carry more than only five medicine bottles?

Thanks.

In the customization menu, any belt which upgrades Health gives access to more medicine bottles. Then upgrade those with creed points, and you get even more space for medicine.

I have nothing against medicine. There is still need to run away from fights, as if you run out of medicine, it's usually time to escape. At least Assassin Cache doesn't give any medicine, though the "heal skill" still exists.

Dan77777777777
11-21-2014, 07:39 PM
You're kidding right?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
You're kidding right?

Don't tease them. It only makes them say even more stuff.

Farlander1991
11-21-2014, 07:54 PM
I have died more times in the playthrough of total 19% of the game (so far) than I have in all the years of playing and replaying AC games since the first game was released on PC combined. And that's with the medicine system and upgraded stuff. It might become easier in the long run, but at least there's a method of having a difficulty level setting in form of what you have equipped, unlike all other AC games where the default is just fine (with the exception of AC1, actually, which is close to ACU in this regard, only it's got a linear progression, but the combat there due to some flaws is still ridiculously easy).

Shahkulu101
11-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Well since the game is actually hard I've found use for the medicine!

Why aren't there more people rejoicing at the fact the game is actually, FINALLY - got some degree of challenge?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Why aren't there more people rejoicing at the fact the game is actually, FINALLY - got some degree of challenge?

I resent the fact that they think AC should be challenging. I never asked for a challenge, nor did I ever want one. AC has never been about the challenge. I want to play through the game and experience the story. If I wanted a challenge, there are other franchises that will give me that.

Shahkulu101
11-21-2014, 08:18 PM
I resent the fact that they think AC should be challenging. I never asked for a challenge, nor did I ever want one. AC has never been about the challenge. I want to play through the game and experience the story. If I wanted a challenge, there are other franchises that will give me that.

Well tbh mate, in comparison to other games, ACU is still a relatively easy game. But I understand you, since there's a split in the fan base now would be a better time than ever to add difficulty levels.

Fatal-Feit
11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Well tbh mate, in comparison to other games, ACU is still a relatively easy game. But I understand you, since there's a split in the fan base now would be a better time than ever to add difficulty levels.

I agree. People are mixing challenge with challenging. AC:U isn't hard, but it's harder than the previous entries (which were extremely easy). Once you've upgraded a few times, the difficulty fades away pretty quickly.

And like you, I'm just glad there's some degree of challenge. In every AC until now, I had to cripple myself after learning all the mechanics for a challenge.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-21-2014, 08:36 PM
You kidding?

Actually, regenerating health doesn't take away the sense of urgency, because you can only regen health when you're not in combat. It'd basically mean that, if you're surrounded during a fight, and you're low on health, you're screwed because you can't just pop a magic pill.

MnemonicSyntax
11-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Making health not able to be consumed in combat doesn't give people choices, which is the point behind these games. If anyone feels that they should run away first instead of spamming medicine, they should just not push the button to activate it.

Farlander1991
11-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Making health not able to be consumed in combat doesn't give people choices, which is the point behind these games. If anyone feels that they should run away first instead of spamming medicine, they should just not push the button to activate it.

I disagree a bit with that statement. I mean, I do agree about choice and flexibility, but I don't know, it reminded me a lot of what was told me when I said that counter-attack in AC1 is an incredibly dominant strategy that breaks the whole system and it's much more fun without it, and people said to me 'well don't use it if you don't like it'. It's there. It's part of the system. It exists to be used, why should I not use it if it's there? Same with medicine in AC2 to be honest, even though I didn't use it that much myself, but people spam medicine because it's there. And it breaks the system.

Though I do think that in case of ACU it's quite different. ACU is frankly more balanced than any of the previous AC games. There is a reason behind medicine, and spamming it like someone would in AC2/ACB can be dangerous. Because in AC2/ACB quite honestly getting to a very low health in combat is a pretty extreme state, even when you're careless and don't combat well, it doesn't happen as often as in ACU, while in ACU it can be a more frequent occurence therefore running out of medicine is actually a real possibility which you have to account for. Add to that the fact that ACU has a changeable equipment that serves as a difficulty level change for those who feel there's not enough challenge (you don't have to worry about handicapping yourself on purpose like you'd need in AC1 or AC2, for example), and you have a flexible system that accounts for both those who want to have more medicine with them and those who don't. Either way, medicine is more useful in ACU than in previous games and not nearly as game-breaking.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2014, 09:12 PM

I completely understand that it's still easy - I actually don't think it's any harder than any other game in the franchise - I actually found it easier than AC1. I'm just concerned that the developers felt it was okay to go ahead and decide that it would be good to make the franchise more difficult, and I'm concerned that folks like Shahkulu101 think that such a change would be met with universal rejoicing.

Difficulty should never be changed in game franchises unless players also get the option to choose the previous standard difficulty level.

MnemonicSyntax
11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I disagree a bit with that statement. I mean, I do agree about choice and flexibility, but I don't know, it reminded me a lot of what was told me when I said that counter-attack in AC1 is an incredibly dominant strategy that breaks the whole system and it's much more fun without it, and people said to me 'well don't use it if you don't like it'. It's there. It's part of the system. It exists to be used, why should I not use it if it's there? Same with medicine in AC2 to be honest, even though I didn't use it that much myself, but people spam medicine because it's there. And it breaks the system.

Though I do think that in case of ACU it's quite different. ACU is frankly more balanced than any of the previous AC games. There is a reason behind medicine, and spamming it like someone would in AC2/ACB can be dangerous. Because in AC2/ACB quite honestly getting to a very low health in combat is a pretty extreme state, even when you're careless and don't combat well, it doesn't happen as often as in ACU, while in ACU it can be a more frequent occurence therefore running out of medicine is actually a real possibility which you have to account for. Add to that the fact that ACU has a changeable equipment that serves as a difficulty level change for those who feel there's not enough challenge (you don't have to worry about handicapping yourself on purpose like you'd need in AC1 or AC2, for example), and you have a flexible system that accounts for both those who want to have more medicine with them and those who don't. Either way, medicine is more useful in ACU than in previous games and not nearly as game-breaking.

I'd run to the shadows and use medicine outside of combat if running away was actually fair, but it's not. Shooting through walls, and even at a high level (five diamonds) one shot can take off half my health, zig zagging and smoke bombs rarely work, at least for me, so I'm glad the "spamming" option is there.

I would definitely use parkour to get away if I could though, implementing the three core pillars and such.