PDA

View Full Version : Help with online play

CAP401
05-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I know I must sound like a noob with all of the questions I've asked lately, but I was trying to get online for the first time today. I did succeed, but their were two problems:

1) What is Ping? I have no idea what it is and I got a warning saying I had high Ping. What is it and how do I keep it low?

2) The game was very slow. I was able to take off once, but after I got up, the plane would move for a second, freeze, move again, and freeze again in that pattern for 3 min. Why did it do that? Did it have to do with ping?

Please help. I really would like to play online, since that is where everyone seems to like to go. So, thx in advance.

CAP401
05-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I know I must sound like a noob with all of the questions I've asked lately, but I was trying to get online for the first time today. I did succeed, but their were two problems:

1) What is Ping? I have no idea what it is and I got a warning saying I had high Ping. What is it and how do I keep it low?

2) The game was very slow. I was able to take off once, but after I got up, the plane would move for a second, freeze, move again, and freeze again in that pattern for 3 min. Why did it do that? Did it have to do with ping?

Please help. I really would like to play online, since that is where everyone seems to like to go. So, thx in advance.

Hoarmurath
05-26-2004, 07:17 PM
the ping is the time it take data to go from one computer to another. The lower, the better. In FB, it refer to yourcomputer, and the computer hosting the game.

the best is to check your ping to the host before joining. better to chose hosts that have ping of less than 400 for you (400 milliseconds).

it seem also that your computer freeze during online play... it could be because there was too many objects on the server for example.

http://hoarmurath.free.fr/images/sighoar.jpg (http://hoarmurath.free.fr/)

Taylortony
05-26-2004, 07:25 PM
ok to put it simply a ping is the time it takes for a piece of information to reach the host machine and back to yours and update your position etc, now if you have a really high ping as all of the other planes are moving through the sky, by the time it has reached the host pc updated and come back to yours the planes have moved from where you see them on your game, so they will zoom across the screen as your pc updates to the host computers position. does that make sense? on a worse case senario you can be shooting at a plane that is no longer there on the host machine and you will see some aircraft warping to there new position, this will be the shortest route the pc knows so they can go through buildings etc.

As for the freezing this can be caused by a high ping to, or try you may be running online at to high a setting so your pc is struggling to update with being connected, there are a few things that could be causing it though, try to reduce the amount of programs running in the background etc, i would ask this in the help room, they are very good and will ask you to post your settings and diagx dont worry if you do not know what that is say and they will tell you where to find it.