PDA

View Full Version : Critical Issue: FC4 Does Not Start

P4tch666
11-18-2014, 01:27 PM
There is an issue where the game will not start. There are several posts on the STEAM forums about this.
This is a serious issue as many users appear to be impacted.

Problem Statement:
After the splash screen is displayed the game window appears but is filled with black or gray. It hangs in this state forever (game does not run).

Conditions:
I'm using STEAM to run the game. This successfully runs the Uplay client which then launches the game.
I've tried running the game directly from the Uplay client but same issue. (It runs STEAM which then runs Uplay again which then runs the game).
In Offline mode the game window is black.
In Online mode the game window is gray.
All STEAM game files verify ok.
Windows 7 64 bit
X48 chipset
C2D CPU
Creative X-Fi PCE-e sound card.

Workarounds:
USB:
Some users on STEAM are reporting that disconnecting USB devices can cause the game to run.
This is an ad-hoc solution in that its not clear why this works or which devices are involved.
Also, its not usually feasible because keyboards and mouse are often USB.
There can be other USB devices too such as sound cards and controllers.

Day One Patch:
It is not possible to verify that the Day One patch has been deployed or installed on my machine.
STEAM does not list it and does not show that its installed.
Uplay does not provide any method to manually download and install the patch.

Uplay technical support: please advise.

bonorbitz
11-18-2014, 02:12 PM
It's happening to me to, but I didn't buy the game through Steam. FC4 consistently doesn't launch. Well, it does "launch," shows the logo for a moment then fills the screen with a black window and doesn't go anywhere. It quits responding and I have to force quit through task manager.

dores1240
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
It's happening to me to, but I didn't buy the game through Steam. FC4 consistently doesn't launch. Well, it does "launch," shows the logo for a moment then fills the screen with a black window and doesn't go anywhere. It quits responding and I have to force quit through task manager.

Same problem here. Did you get the solution ?

bonorbitz
11-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Same problem here. Did you get the solution ?

Nope. I glad others are experience the same though because it'd be tougher to fix if it was isolated just to me. I'm going to wait for the two day one patches from Ubisoft (have the even been released yet?) and today's update from Nvidia becauseI have a GTX 770.

MarcSoulfly
11-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Im having exactly the same problem as the OP, and I can tell you that the only similarity between our systems is the WIN 7 64 bits. Probably something to do with the operational system, maybe?

ElCid.
11-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Im having exactly the same problem as the OP, and I can tell you that the only similarity between our systems is the WIN 7 64 bits. Probably something to do with the operational system, maybe?

Same issue here and I have Window 8.1 so I don't think its OS related.

Voculus
11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Chiming in to say I'm having the same issue. I've tried unplugging everything but the mouse and keyboard in a desperate attempt to get this thing running. All drivers are up to date, and the specs are way over the top. Ubi, when is the patch coming to fix this issue?

zacrobmer
11-18-2014, 02:59 PM
I am having the same issue.

Win 8.1
I7-4790k
GTX 980

The game is not writing the gameprofile.xml at launch do to the hang, it seems to be not able to write the .xml if you have any controllers other then an xbox controller installed.

soldierat
11-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Same issue here -but i'm only using uplay.
Far Cry 4 Logo for about 5 seconds, then window filling the main monitor just showing black. task-manager shows far cry as inactive.

System:
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i5 4670K
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970
2 Screens used (second monitor running on Intel HD 4600)
SSD with OS etc (full)
HDD with Far Cry 4

Hope there is a working fix or workaround soon...

EDIT: got it running by unplugging a usb-device by razer

Sandcracka
11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm having the same issues as the OP. I too would like to know if/when/how the day 1 patch is/was installed.

ace3001
11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Day 1 patch is installed for everyone. Anyone who downloaded the game after launch automatically has the patch. Those who preloaded it beforehand got the patch loaded when the game launched.

That doesn't fix this issue. And neither does the previewed second patch. gg Ubisoft Kiev.

Brage1
11-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Same here, after starting the game, blackscreen and game doesn`t response. After some forum search I disconnected my usb Tartarus, a gaming device like Nostromo. Restart the game, and it works, connect it while gaming freeze. In Steam forum a lot of people report about usb device problems too, for some its the logitech keyboard, for others the mouse.

Try to start the game just with a cable mouse, if it doesn`t work, try do disconnect other usb devices an hope the best. For me it works now.

P4tch666
11-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Disconnecting USB devices has not worked for me.

cattaru5
11-19-2014, 07:39 AM
i have an over clocked core 2 duo with gtx 640 4gb and it just black screens on me loads up shows logo but then just stays black screen my amd laptop runs it though with easyness:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: