PDA

View Full Version : The Best Protagonist

RinoTheBouncer
11-18-2014, 01:23 AM
This is probably the 10000th time we make a thread like that, but since we have new characters, let’s see if any opinions change. So, who is in your opinion, the best protagonist in an AC game?

I guess you know whom I’m gonna vote for :P
Hint: look down.

Fatal-Feit
11-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Inb4threadbecomesaboutwhostheirworseprotagonistbec ausefanboyism

For me, it's a tie between Connor, Edward, and Shay (Shay might have the slight advantage, though). The North American Saga still takes the top spot in the story department, which is one of the most important thing in an AC game. :)

[EDIT] You know what, I'll just check every North American Saga protagonist.

ACfan443
11-18-2014, 01:30 AM
Why would you make this a multiple choice poll if you're looking for one definitve answer?

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Alta´r...

His life was nothing but the Creed, he knew no other.

RinoTheBouncer
11-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Why would you make this a multiple choice poll if you're looking for one definitve answer?

Made a mistake and I hope a moderator can fix it for me.

PedroAntonio2
11-18-2014, 01:44 AM
Connor is the best for me, he wasn't charismatic as Ezio or loyal to the Creed as Alta´r, but his personality was deep, he fought for his people and didn't care for nothing else other than that...he wanted to protect the ones he loved, but he was too young to understand what would happen if he fought alongside the Patriots and in the end he lost everything, but the noly thing that remained was hope, hope for a better future where every man and woman would be free...he saw the contradictions in the speeches of those who defended freedom...Samuel Adams wanted freedom, but he had a slave and even after the Revolution, Connor saw people selling slaves in the middle of the crowd.

Connor was a hero, even though he did not want to see his people leave him, but still...he had hope.

Fatal-Feit
11-18-2014, 02:00 AM
I'm devastated by the lack of votes for Shay and Haytham.

ze_topazio
11-18-2014, 02:04 AM

If it makes you happy, I voted in everybody.

PedroAntonio2
11-18-2014, 02:05 AM
I voted in Connor and Shay.

I-Like-Pie45
11-18-2014, 02:09 AM
There are no heroes.

There is only the Crossed.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 02:29 AM

I voted for Shay and Haytham. :)

Along with Connor and Alta´r...

boosho
11-18-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm newish here so I'm not sure what previous debates/discussions took place. But its hard to say who is best. But for me my favorite is Ezio because we got to live so much of his story and feel the roller-coaster of emotions he went through. All the way to the end.
Other than altair we will never be able to know the others to the same extent because it may change how you feel about them. If we only got to see Ezio in AC2 without the the rest of his story he may have been pretty forgettable compared to Edward or shay.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:13 AM
Connor/Altair/Shay > Edward/Haytham/ACR Ezio > Arno/ACB Ezio > Aveline > Adewale > AC II Ezio

F3nix013
11-18-2014, 03:14 AM
I have to say Ezio even though i like both him and Altair is because the only difference between the two is Ezio is humorous whereas Altair isnt but at the same time, Altair is a badass.

I have to say no way in hell on Connor mainly because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever. No humor, no witty sarcasm, he was more of a drone than anything else with being all serious all the time.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:19 AM
Ezio sucks

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Connor/Altair/Shay > Edward/Haytham/ACR Ezio > Arno/ACB Ezio > Aveline > Adewale > AC II Ezio

I dare you to spent one day with ACII Ezio. :rolleyes:

X_xWolverinEx_X
11-18-2014, 03:23 AM
only old ezio(acr) is good young is horrible mmmm them gray hairs

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:23 AM
I dare you to spent one day with ACII Ezio. :rolleyes:
Oh I would love a day with AC II Ezio. He's a cool guy to hang out with but that's not why I dislike him. He's unrealistic and goes through 0 character development. His story in AC II was just pretty ****.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 03:25 AM
Oh I would love a day with AC II Ezio. He's a cool guy to hang out with but that's not why I dislike him. He's unrealistic and goes through 0 character development. His story in AC II was just pretty ****.

How about ACB Ezio? :rolleyes:

F3nix013
11-18-2014, 03:29 AM

You know Ezio had 3 games dedicated to him right? The opinion i gave was going based off of him from all 3 games combined.

boosho
11-18-2014, 03:31 AM
I have to say no way in hell on Connor mainly because he has absolutely no personality whatsoever. No humor, no witty sarcasm, he was more of a drone than anything else with being all serious all the time.

I dont like Connor either, whenever i play AC3 i just want to punch him in the face. to me he comes across as arrogant and stubborn with major daddy issues.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:33 AM
How about ACB Ezio? :rolleyes:
The logical progression of AC II Ezio at about sequence 5-7 in AC II. ACB Ezio was okay.

You know Ezio had 3 games dedicated to him right? The opinion i gave was going based off of him from all 3 games combined.
I don't care, Ezio's longest game was AC II. Every other protagonist got one game and they actually developed and went through progression. Ezio did ****. It took Ezio 3 games and I should judge him on ALL of them? Nah.

F3nix013
11-18-2014, 03:38 AM
The logical progression of AC II Ezio at about sequence 5-7 in AC II. ACB Ezio was okay.

I don't care, Ezio's longest game was AC II. Every other protagonist got one game and they actually developed and went through progression. Ezio did ****.

Then you have absolutely no foundation for your not liking Ezio. The reason why he got 3 games was because he was the messenger for the First Civilization and he was the MAIN ancestor for helping the MD assassins see all of what was to come.

But of course you would have to understand the story which you are making it look like you dont. There was plenty of reason to keep going with him and that is why they made 3 games for him.

Hood2theBurbs
11-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Gotta agree with M when it comes to Ezio in AC2, I really don't see why people like him so much he the same from beginning to end, ACR Ezio is far better and it's the first time I see him as an actual human being, that there is some actual depth to that character.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Then you have absolutely no foundation for your not liking Ezio. The reason why he got 3 games was because he was the messenger for the First Civilization and he was the MAIN ancestor for helping the MD assassins see all of what was to come.

But of course you would have to understand the story which you are making it look like you dont. There was plenty of reason to keep going with him and that is why they made 3 games for him.
Nah, I do lol. don't be so stingy about it. I think Ezio sucks, that's okay. I don't care what he "is" in the games or what your "criteria" for dislike or like is.

I really don't see why people like him so much he the same from beginning to end
But...but......buuuuuut, he's zo charizma and funnyyyyy and he good wiz woman.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 03:47 AM

Hmm...Fair enough.

Hood2theBurbs
11-18-2014, 03:53 AM

(Facepalm) Of course now it aaaall makes sense can't believe I missed something so obvious. Clearly AC2 Ezio is da bomb :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
11-18-2014, 04:03 AM
AC2 Ezio is my favorite Ezio.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/ejhm3s.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76c7eHoDd1qjqdifo1_400.gif

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 04:05 AM
The thing with Ezio is that he does grow as a character over the course of his 3 games- but we don't actually see a lot of that growth. In fact, a lot of it seems to happen behind the scenes, between games.

As far as character growth goes, I'd have to say that the most prominent changes go to either Shay or Edward.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Shay or Edward.
And Altair.

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 04:12 AM
And Altair.

True, that's a valid point.

rprkjj
11-18-2014, 04:16 AM
Edward > Altair > ACR Ezio > Arno > ACB Ezio > Connor/AC2 Ezio > Adewale > Haytham.

Haven't played Rogue or Liberation, might change the list in the future since I hear good things about Shay.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 04:37 AM
Edward > Altair > ACR Ezio > Arno > ACB Ezio > Connor/AC2 Ezio > Adewale > Haytham.

Haven't played Rogue or Liberation, might change the list in the future since I hear good things about Shay.

You don't like Haytham? :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

rprkjj
11-18-2014, 05:01 AM
You don't like Haytham? :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

That came down to the limited time we had with him. I don't know, he seemed very 1 note, and it boiled down to him and Adewale, but I actually like Adewale because of his wisdom, stoicism and dedication to the Creed. I still like him though, there's no AC protag of games I've played that I actually dislike.

Conniving_Eagle
11-18-2014, 05:08 AM
Shay, hands down. He at least has to be up there if he's not your #1.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 05:23 AM
That came down to the limited time we had with him. I don't know, he seemed very 1 note, and it boiled down to him and Adewale, but I actually like Adewale because of his wisdom, stoicism and dedication to the Creed. I still like him though, there's no AC protag of games I've played that I actually dislike.

Oh, okay that makes sense.

And me too. ^^

Let's see...for me it's:

Alta´r/Connor=Shay/Haytham > Edward=Adewale>Ezio>Arno/Aveline

Sabuto78
11-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Tough. def not connor or arno

gonna have to go with the one and only auditore da firenze! Shay and Edward were great as well

Cactiii
11-18-2014, 05:54 AM
I have to put Ezio. I may be a bit biased because he was the first character I played as, but I really liked his charisma and convictions. I feel like Connor could've been my favorite character- I certainly feel that he had the best background, but he just seemed too flat. In AC3, with Lafayette, there were allusions to the French Revolution, so what I figured would happen would be Connor traveling to Paris when he's a bit older, and Ubisoft would give his character another go, with less wooden acting. They went with Arno instead, which wasn't a bad choice, but it was a missed opportunity I guess.

killzab
11-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Shay for me, definitely !

Funny how the game that was supposed to be a mere cash-grab ended up having the best protagonist and one of the best stories (albeit too short)

sem1rek
11-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Happy to see Alta´r is still so high :)

DaveyNorton
11-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Shay for me, definitely !

Funny how the game that was supposed to be a mere cash-grab ended up having the best protagonist and one of the best stories (albeit too short)
Indeed! It warms my heart to see Rogue getting such positive reception.

I'm still one sequence short of finishing Rogue, but as I already spoiled myself hard before the release (and it didn't ruin my experience at all), I can without any hesitation vote for Shay. He is a fantastic protagonist, that really challenges expectations and has a surprising depth to him.

Edward and Connor can take the second and third place respectively. Haytham is mai husbando, but it doesn't quite feel right putting him among the major protagonists. That's like saying Snake was the protagonist of MGS2. Sure, technically he was, but he spend 3/4 of the game as a supporting character.

king-hailz
11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I voted Ezio obviously... He is my favourite character from any game... I experienced his journey from birth till death... That's special!

steveeire
11-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Ezio he saved this franchise and I suppose Edward kinda saved it too.

F3nix013
11-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Nah, I do lol. don't be so stingy about it. I think Ezio sucks, that's okay. I don't care what he "is" in the games or what your "criteria" for dislike or like is.

I do admit i could have handled that better because i wasnt trying to be hostile. I just dont understand why when people talk about not liking Ezio, they only either talk about him from 1 game he had or the first game he was in even though he had 3 titles.

When you talk about Ezio you have to talk about him combining all 3 games. Because its not like those 3 games all had different characters, its all the same character just different titles. He may have had the longest story but like i said, there was a reason for that. If he just had 1 game, then i could kinda understand but when he had 3 titles and they continue his life, you MUST include those other titles because it shows the character growth you are saying doesnt exist in AC2. All 3 titles are his full life as an Assassin which is why it is important to combine all 3 when talking about him and not just 1 title or the beginning title that literllay introduces you to a character you would be using later with more of what you were saying was lacking in the first game he was in.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 03:05 PM
I do admit i could have handled that better because i wasnt trying to be hostile. I just dont understand why when people talk about not liking Ezio, they only either talk about him from 1 game he had or the first game he was in even though he had 3 titles.

When you talk about Ezio you have to talk about him combining all 3 games. Because its not like those 3 games all had different characters, its all the same character just different titles. He may have had the longest story but like i said, there was a reason for that. If he just had 1 game, then i could kinda understand but when he had 3 titles and they continue his life, you MUST include those other titles because it shows the character growth you are saying doesnt exist in AC2. All 3 titles are his full life as an Assassin which is why it is important to combine all 3 when talking about him and not just 1 title or the beginning title that literllay introduces you to a character you would be using later with more of what you were saying was lacking in the first game he was in.

Does it really matter? Just accept his opinion and move on.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Well, no. I don't HAVE to take all 3 games into consideration. Brotherhood and Revelations were cash grabs that capitalized on Ezio's popularity. They were never planned to be as big as they are now. They were last minute additions. Revelations even more so than Brotherhood. What I care about is the game that was planned long ahead, the longest game in the character's arc. AC II showed Ezio for 23 years. That's the longest an AC game has showed ANYONE and you want me to add a couple of years from ACB and one year from ACR? lolno.

Altair had a complete arc in one game, Connor had a complete arc in one game, heck Haytham got a good arc in 1/4 of a game and Edward got a great arc in one game. It took Ezio 3 games....JUST that fact is enough for me to dislike the character. He's unrealistic, he has 0 progression in his longest game and he's quite frankly bleh. He had no inner conflict, no layer of complexity, no nothing. 99.9% of his fans ONLY talk about his charisma and charm and the fact that we saw his entire life when asked why they like him...that's it and who can blame them? there's nothing more to him, to be quite honest and for me, I need a little more than charisma and charm to actually like a character (Yeah and don't try to pull any "complex" reason as to why you like him, it's the first, spontaneous answer that counts)

Revelations actually humanized Ezio. it showed his flaws, his temper, his mistakes...I think that this is the real reason people dislike Revelations. It was basically Brotherhood and people LOVED Brotherhood but Ezio wasnt the god he was anymore.

Does it really matter? Just accept his opinion and move on.
That's quite alright. I'm having fun. Love these new members.

ColdBloodedVet
11-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Adewale and Connor for me. Followed by "Old Man" Ezio and Edward. (If I could have 4 choices)

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
I couldnt get attached to Edward or Aveline. I wanted to like her, but the voice acting really threw me off.

I haven't played Freedom Cry yet, but everyone says he's cool.

I haven't played Rogue or Unity yet, but according to what I've heard, Shay is a sweetheart and Arno is a bit bland.

So my votes will be reflecting those if thats the case.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 04:06 PM
That's quite alright. I'm having fun. Love these new members.

It's your funeral... :rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
11-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I did enjoy playing as all of the protagonists to a certain extent, but I'm only attached to Altair, Ezio and Connor.

RinoTheBouncer
11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
I will shamelessly say that unlike others who like Ezio because he’s funny, a womanizer or charismatic. I like him cause he’s hot. It may sound shallow to others, but he’s super good looking. The other thing is that his games chronicled his whole life, making me super attached to him, especially in AC:R which showed a much more mature, wise and realistic version of him and in addition to that, the events that went on in the modern day of Ezio’s games were the best. I’m not even a fan of Renaissance Italy, but his games made me like it.

I personally love Connor so much while others hated him for being naive or stoic or brash. I personally found Connor to be so realistic and you can’t really blame him from being the way he was. He reacted based on the events that went on around him and the little knowledge he had about the world and its factions and affairs.

I love Edward, I love Altair, I even love Arno so much. However, non of them managed to top Ezio, for one reason or another. The Ezio Trilogy as a whole was a mixture of the best elements in the franchise, at least to me.

For Ezio:

http://youtu.be/0WlfQJW_va0

Nihilog
11-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Arno Dorian, of course.

JustPlainQuirky
11-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Shay and Haytham.

Templar duo are mah baes.

Namikaze_17
11-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Shay and Haytham.

Templar duo are mah baes.

"May the Father of Understanding guide us." :rolleyes:

hood3dassassin5
11-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Connor, his story was the deepest.

Aaron5588
11-19-2014, 02:39 AM
One word..... Ezio!!!!

pacmanate
11-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Edward. Loved his character/attitude/voice, everything.

Bullet747
11-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Connor Kenway of course. I'll always have a soft spot for the dude.

lothario-da-be
11-19-2014, 09:38 PM
For me:
1. Connor
2. Edward
3. Haytham
4. Ezio
5. Altair
6. Adewale
7. Aveline
Arno and Shay aren't on my list yet because I am only in sequence 6 in acu and haven't bought rogue yet.

JustPlainQuirky
11-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Revised

My babies: Haytham/Shay/Connor/Altair

But Shay and Haytham still mah favs

Namikaze_17
11-20-2014, 12:14 AM
That's funny...

My four favorite characters are also yours... :D

They're all equal to me though.

Well except Alta´r, because he's Alta´r. :rolleyes:

Megas_Doux
11-20-2014, 12:18 AM
I quite like all with the exception of Aveline. My pics:

- Altair.
- Edward.
- Ezio.
- Arno.

I liked Connor┤s story and overall concept, but his VA kinda kills him for me.

Namikaze_17
11-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Is everyone forgetting Nikolai?

And if we're going by playable only, where's Desmond?