PDA

View Full Version : Unity serious question for the complaints

DEADP5YCH0
11-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Personally having read the forum the past few days, it seems much of this hate is from sheep just hating on the new thing and possibly Ubisoft as a whole.
Most things are based on preference and opinion of that said user or just because they don't like change.

Now complaints about the story or new changes in this game which weren't in older games I see as fine as I have the same view on a few.

But this is targeted at those that keep claiming for refunds, or all the bugs/glitches this and that, f*** Ubisoft, worst AC due to these details alone, never buying another sequel again.

My question is

If you played these games or even liked them, did you (1) moan as much (2) think they were great games even with these problems. (3) Go to get a refund ASAP

RDR
Fallout
Skyrim
GTA V
Batman AO
Diablo 3

Just a few big games that launched with game breaking bugs that I have played, and a good few minor and cosmetic bugs aswell.

I'm not saying developers should release games with some serious bugs or giving them an excuse. But I feel there is more to this hate that Unity is getting right now which is more than the bugs and glitches.

I'd like honest answers here

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't know are you butthurt fanboy or what? Yes, I was complaining with GTA V because their shi*ty online at the release. And I will not buy it again, I played the full story on PS3, and I would get on PS4 it IF!! they would add heists in the online as they promised. They never did that and of course I ranted over Rockstar. I played Red Dead Redemption, but never had any problems with it, so... I've never played other games listed below, but if I'm not wrong, my brother did play Skyrim at day 1, and was mad as fu*k because game was pure garbage like the Unity is with it's bugs and overall performance issue. Anything else? And yeah, after I finished GTA V story I sold it for little more than half price. So I got some kind of refund from it, never really enjoyed online, actually it was never that "good" as it was advertised. Unity is just unplayable for me at the current state, I won't play fuc*ing game below 20fps, it's a god*amn slideshow.

Ygdrasel
11-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Personally, I shrug off bug complaints because by the time I get the game, it's either patched up or I've just been lucky enough to never encounter bugs firsthand in AC. My big issue with Ubisoft right now is the microtransactions. They clearly have no clue at all how those are meant to work or what the word "micro" means and somebody (maybe multiple bodies) seriously needs to be fired.

xbl_xtro1
11-18-2014, 12:28 AM
I love the direction unity took and the mechanics implemented in that game... however this is the worst release i can remember of and I am sure the developers of this game didn't agree to release it in that condition. I hope none of them get blamed for this mess. Everything that came up they were probably well aware of. Maybe the online features are too ambitious for now... anyways I've seen betas that were far more polished than this. I didnt remember any huge issue with any of the games you mention. The only game that's been in trouble from the start has been driveclub. But even then technically Driveclub at launch was 100% more polished than ACU.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 12:28 AM
And yeah, one more thing. They suck so bad at coding that if this game would even come NEAR 30fps the Jesus would come down to say hello to you.

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 12:31 AM
I don't know are you butthurt fanboy or what? Yes, I was complaining with GTA V because their shi*ty online at the release. And I will not buy it again, I played the full story on PS3, and I would get on PS4 it IF!! they would add heists in the online as they promised. They never did that and of course I ranted over Rockstar. I played Red Dead Redemption, but never had any problems with it, so... I've never played other games listed below, but if I'm not wrong, my brother did play Skyrim at day 1, and was mad as fu*k because game was pure garbage like the Unity is with it's bugs and overall performance issue. Anything else? And yeah, after I finished GTA V story I sold it for little more than half price. So I got some kind of refund from it, never really enjoyed online, actually it was never that "good" as it was advertised. Unity is just unplayable for my at the current state, I won't play fuc*ing game below 20fps, it's a god*amn slideshow.

Why would I/ am I being a butthurt fanboy for asking a serious question to those complaining.

Exactly like you said you never had problems on a certain game, I know many people on the games I mentioned and including Unity ( which I can relate too ) I haven't come across one bug in 20 + hours unless you count frame problems a bug? Not sure on that. My frames are better than the PS4 version of the game if you "believe" tests, one person doesn't mean all people have better frames on the XB1 than the PS4

I want to know if it's the bugs/glitches for people saying the games sucks, or whether it's some gameplay mechanic or even the story they weren't fussed about.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Why would I/ am I being a butthurt fanboy for asking a serious question to those complaining.

Exactly like you said you never had problems on a certain game, I know many people on the games I mentioned and including Unity ( which I can relate too ) I haven't come across one bug in 20 + hours unless you count frame problems a bug? Not sure on that. My frames are better than the PS4 version of the game if you "believe" tests, one person doesn't mean all people have better frames on the XB1 than the PS4

I want to know if it's the bugs/glitches for people saying the games sucks, or whether it's some gameplay mechanic or even the story they weren't fussed about.

Of course I had problems with games, but problems was never that big as they are at the Unity, that's a pure fact. That game should NEVER, I'll say it again NEVER be released in this condition. This is basically beta game my friend, we payed quite a lot of money for beta version of a game. Why shouldn't we complain? I don't play pirate copies of the games, if I pay for some product I have all the rights to complain if it's not working as it should. I can take bugs, I can take glitches, such things happens in the games, not big problem for me. I don't even bother if sometimes some NPC pop-up, I really don't. But I just can't pass by this poorly optimized DOG SH*T, and nobody should. Like I said, if this cra* goes near 30fps Jesus will come down to say hello to you, it's that bad. I never said anything about story or anything else, I've played this dog sh*t for like 30 minutes and just couldn't stand it, my brain was totally confused.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 12:42 AM
And yeah, one more thing. They suck so bad at coding that if this game would even come NEAR 30fps the Jesus would come down to say hello to you.

How's your programming languages?

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Of course I had problems with games, but problems was never that big as they are at the Unity, that's a pure fact. That game should NEVER, I'll say it again NEVER be released in this condition. This is basically beta game my friend, we payed quite a lot of money for beta version of a game. Why shouldn't we complain? I don't play pirate copies of the games, if I pay for some product I have all the rights to complain if it's not working as it should. I can take bugs, I can take glitches, such things happens in the games, not big problem for me. I don't even bother if sometimes some NPC pop-up, I really don't. But I just can't pass by this poorly optimized DOG SH*T, and nobody should. Like I said, if this cra* goes near 30fps Jesus will come down to say hello to you, it's that bad. I never said anything about story or anything else, I've played this dog sh*t for like 30 minutes and just couldn't stand it, my brain was totally confused.

It's a fact to you perhaps but not everyone, there are loads of gamers with different issues with Unity, yeah I can agree to that. Doesn't mean everyone has a problem with it. Same as new technology products having defects with them, a good few people could have them but many do not. Doesn't mean it's completely broken, means it needs to be fixed ASAP for those having said issues.

Perhaps the frame problem is due to the PS4 hardware or a limitation on the dev kit if thats the case, there's not much Ubisoft can do other than make the graphics worse than what they are.

Like I said people can complain, they have that right. But I feel some people are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Maybe Unity is getting it too harsh, I mean games like Skyrim won GOTY and that was broken as hell and yet it's scored high and the majority loves it.

Depends on how many people have the problem, that those testing may have missed ( also depending on how many testers there were )

I never said people don't have the right to complain or want a game that runs smooth.
But a game is never going to be bug free, like games are never going to be cheater/hacker free. Human errors will occur

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 12:54 AM
It's a fact to you perhaps but not everyone, there are loads of gamers with different issues with Unity, yeah I can agree to that. Doesn't mean everyone has a problem with it. Same as new technology products having defects with them, a good few people could have them but many do not. Doesn't mean it's completely broken, means it needs to be fixed ASAP for those having said issues.

Perhaps the frame problem is due to the PS4 hardware or a limitation on the dev kit if thats the case, there's not much Ubisoft can do other than make the graphics worse than what they are.

Like I said people can complain, they have that right. But I feel some people are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Maybe Unity is getting it too harsh, I mean games like Skyrim won GOTY and that was broken as hell and yet it's scored high and the majority loves it.

Depends on how many people have the problem, that those testing may have missed ( also depending on how many testers there were )

I never said people don't have the right to complain or want a game that runs smooth.
But a game is never going to be bug free, like games are never going to be cheater/hacker free. Human errors will occur

AC Unity's issues have less to do with the power of the consoles and more to do with Ubisoft's stupidity. Showing a poorly optimized game and saying "oh guess the consoles aren't all that powerful" is something a slow child would do. 

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 12:56 AM
How's your programming languages?

I'm not selling crap for 60$ to the people.

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 01:01 AM
AC Unity's issues have less to do with the power of the consoles and more to do with Ubisoft's stupidity. Showing a poorly optimized game and saying "oh guess the consoles aren't all that powerful" is something a slow child would do. 

So you can be 100% sure that it's nothing to do with consoles, you can say the reason the games both run at 900p and 30 frames ( both of which were described before the game released ) is really because they wanted the more "cinematic" feel?

So if they lowered both the frames and resolution for that, do you think the consoles can run it at 1080p and 60fps if the fps is indeed a coding bug?

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 01:01 AM
That doesn't answer my question.

I digress though, I'm having a blast with Unity.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:03 AM
And to make it clear, I personally think that they have done awesome job with Paris. It looks gorgeous, I really love it. Like I said, my only problem with Unity is poor optimiziation, it's that so hard to understand? Roger out, I said what I mention to, I'll wait a few more days and see what are they going to do with it, if they don't fix it, I'll sell it and that's the end of the story. When I see that the game works fine I'll buy it again at the lower price, I would love to play Unity, but I just can't, because thing is running like a piece of dog sh*t. Peace!

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:08 AM
So you can be 100% sure that it's nothing to do with consoles, you can say the reason the games both run at 900p and 30 frames ( both of which were described before the game released ) is really because they wanted the more "cinematic" feel?

So if they lowered both the frames and resolution for that, do you think the consoles can run it at 1080p and 60fps if the fps is indeed a coding bug?

Seriously? Are you kidding me or what? I've never said that they can run it at 60fps, I don't even demand 60fps. Yeah, they downscaled it like they do with their's every game, they suck at optimiziation. For example look at fu*king Watch Dogs and their E3 demo. Did the game looked near that? No, because they suck at optimization and that's all. Even the high-end PC's are having trouble by handling this mess. You have PC section of a forum here, check it out. If the problems would exist only on consoles I would say, ok fu*k it, console suck balls and that's it.

Ygdrasel
11-18-2014, 01:10 AM
And yeah, frame issues aren't a bug but they ARE a sign of bad quality. And the 900p upscaled to 1080 is garbage too. If you're gonna waste resources going for 1080, don't half-*** it like that. All it does is damage the game for no benefit. 720 is fine. Nobody sees a worthwhile difference above that. Gameplay and smoothness > Resolution.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:11 AM
That doesn't answer my question.

I digress though, I'm having a blast with Unity.

I'm glad to hear that, this game should be enjoyable, but it's not for everyone... Fu*k me, what can I do? About my programming. I know sh*t about it, but I can tell the difference between good optimized and awful optimized game.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:12 AM
And yeah, frame issues aren't a bug but they ARE a sign of bad quality. And the 900p upscaled to 1080 is garbage too. If you're gonna waste resources going for 1080, don't half-*** it like that. All it does is damage the game for no benefit. 720 is fine. Nobody sees a worthwhile difference above that. Gameplay and smoothness > Resolution.

Bravo!

xbl_xtro1
11-18-2014, 01:16 AM
I'm glad to hear that, this game should be enjoyable, but it's not for everyone... Fu*k me, what can I do? About my programming. I know sh*t about it, but I can tell the difference between good optimized and awful optimized game.

I'm a programmer and I can tell you that optimizing stuff is the most challenging and also the most fun part of the job. It pushes you to learn and discover new things. They should have a team at ubisoft dedicated to that only. Personally I didnt mind that they downgraded the graphics of watch dogs. at least it was super smooth (on consoles).

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm a programmer and I can tell you that optimizing stuff is the most challenging and also the most fun part of the job. It pushes you to learn and discover new things. They should have a team at ubisoft dedicated to that only. Personally I didnt mind that they downgraded the graphics of watch dogs. at least it was super smooth (on consoles).

I respect programmers, it's absolutely amazing what they (you) are able to do. But don't tell my that this crap is acceptable. OK, discovering new things and that stuff, but if something doesn't work, DON'T RELEASE IT, because sh*t is broken as hell. That's my point. Take your time, discover it even more if you like, but don't release it if it's broken. And there is a lot of people out that have huge problems with that game.

xbl_xtro1
11-18-2014, 01:23 AM
I respect programmers, it's absolutely amazing what they (you) are able to do. But don't tell my that this crap is acceptable. OK, discovering new things and that stuff, but if something doesn't work, DON'T RELEASE IT, because sh*t is broken as hell. That's my point. And there is a lot of people out that have huge problems with that game.

I can guarantee you that releasing that game in november is a business decision. The programmers probably warned against it. but i'm sure they're gonna fix/finish it. And I agree with you though it is not acceptable in this state. It just gives a bad image of the company eventhough there's an awesome game hidden under the technical problem

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:28 AM
I can guarantee you that releasing that game in november is a business decision. The programmers probably warned against it. but i'm sure they're gonna fix/finish it.

Of course it's a business decision, no doubt about that. And that's the MAIN problem at Ubisoft, they are releasing half-made products, just like EA. I'm not blaming only the programmers, I'm blaming all of them. We are living in the capitalism and that sucks balls, just give them money and that's it.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 01:34 AM
I respect programmers, it's absolutely amazing what they (you) are able to do. But don't tell my that this crap is acceptable. OK, discovering new things and that stuff, but if something doesn't work, DON'T RELEASE IT, because sh*t is broken as hell. That's my point. Take your time, discover it even more if you like, but don't release it if it's broken. And there is a lot of people out that have huge problems with that game.

I don't want to be *that guy* but it's not broken for everyone.

That being said, I think it's mainly online components that are causing the most issues, even with FPS.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 01:53 AM
I don't want to be *that guy* but it's not broken for everyone.

That being said, I think it's mainly online components that are causing the most issues, even with FPS.

Can you point out my friend where did I said that everyone has broken game?

Please, I'm begging you to point this out. If I said it, I apologize for talking in the name of the others. I'm mainly talking about my experience, not yours or anybody elses.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Can you point out my friend where did I said that everyone has broken game?

Please, I'm begging you to point this out. If I said it, I apologize for talking in the name of the others. I'm mainly talking about my experience, not yours or anybody elses.

No, but the point that I was trying to make was you keep saying "Don't release trash" etc. etc. ad nauseam but obviously when tested it was working relatively well enough for them, and for others as well.

To be more clear: If something is tested and it works, and it's released in that state it doesn't mean it wasn't tested. That's the nature of beta testing and technical support in general, recreating the issue.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 02:19 AM
No, but the point that I was trying to make was you keep saying "Don't release trash" etc. etc. ad nauseam but obviously when tested it was working relatively well enough for them, and for others as well.

To be more clear: If something is tested and it works, and it's released in that state it doesn't mean it wasn't tested. That's the nature of beta testing and technical support in general, recreating the issue.

It depends on what you assume as working. If you buy for example a microwave oven and you want your dish to be let's say near 20░C. When you put out your dish it's like 10░C. Yeah, shi* is working, before you have putted it in, it was 5░C, and now it's 10░C, but you have been said that shi* can go up to 20. That's half-made product. Yeah it was tested, by us, customers and now they are trying to fix what customers (we) reported to them. We are so stupid, not them, we are... They don't even have to pay test team, we PAY THEM to test it. Nice way to go. I don't want to discuss this anymore, if this is OK to you, let it be. I don't like that, the end. Was nice to chat with you guys though...

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 02:21 AM
It depends on what you assume as working. If you buy for example a microwave oven and you want your dish to be let's say near 20░C. When you put out your dish it's like 10░C. Yeah, shi* is working, before you have putted it in, it was 5░C, and now it's 10░C, but you have been said that shi* can go up to 20. That's half-made product. Yeah it was tested, by us, customers and now they are trying to fix what customers (we) reported to them. We are so stupid, not them, we are... They don't even have to pay test team, we PAY THEM to test it. Nice way to go. I don't want to discuss this anymore, if this is OK to you, let it be. I don't like that, the end. Was nice to chat with you guys though...

I mean working well enough that you can play the game without stuttering or other issues. Uplay and Initiates were clearly after thoughts because they weren't even ready on launch.

As for not having a testing team, you really have to be kidding yourself if you think they don't. Otherwise lag and low FPS would the least of their problems.

I digress however, if you wish to not discuss anymore, that's on you. Good evening to you, or morning.

ltheghost
11-18-2014, 02:36 AM
I am and probably always will be a huge fan of AC. I've been a gamer for damn near all my life...NES days. But I'm a little sad and disappointed with Unity. I like the graphic, combat, and some of the free running. But it is missing a story...or even what I like to call an immersive experience. Now, I just beat the game last night and I played a lot of the co-op, but I'm feeling like a lot is missing.

There were no real, "OOOOOO" moments in the game. The ending was extremely rushed and it feels like there should be more. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, if there someone was rushing the entire project or what, but I'm disappointed. Then you have the glitches and the bugs. It was just a poorly optimized game from the beginning. The patches are helping but I'm afraid the franchise is ruined. All the gimmicks with micro transactions and tablet games to unlock boxes is just a distraction from the main game. The map...seriously...look at the mess they called a map. It's an eyesore. No modern period play, you are just throw into one situation after another with no real explanation of what the heck is going on. The Sword of Eden? Can anyone explain that? You see it twice in the game and that's it. Oh..there is a Revolution going on? Oh...when did it happen in the game? Are you an Assassin at the end of the game or not? So yeah, I'm disappointed in this entry. Very disappointed. I want my Assassin's Creed fix....I may have to go get Rouge.....now that is just sad.

Maybe I'm getting up there in years, but for those of you who have Assassin's Creed 2 or Brotherhood...go back and play those games and think about what Unity is missing. If anything Unity feels like a soul-less MMO. Heck even AC3 had more emotion to it then Unity. What about the main story? The Sage, Juno, the First Civilization, what was the point of this game!? (Get to the end and you will see what I'm saying) What is the point of Unity? When there really wasn't any Unity? lol

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 02:37 AM
I mean working well enough that you can play the game without stuttering or other issues. Uplay and Initiates were clearly after thoughts because they weren't even ready on launch.

As for not having a testing team, you really have to be kidding yourself if you think they don't. Otherwise lag and low FPS would the least of their problems.

I digress however, if you wish to not discuss anymore, that's on you. Good evening to you, or morning.

If they have a testing team, they were smoking some dope before they tested it. What about those on PC? They can't even start it, shi* crashes immediately, that's just sad. And now for real, roger out. Cheers!

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 02:55 AM
If they have a testing team, they were smoking some dope before they tested it. What about those on PC? They can't even start it, shi* crashes immediately, that's just sad. And now for real, roger out. Cheers!

I'm on PC. Max graphics, 50 hours in.

Again, it's not everyone.

And cheers.

Kyler45
11-18-2014, 03:16 AM
I don't want a refund, however a Console game should never drop below 30 frames per second. Not in 2014, ever. That's not an opinion, that is a fact that the game was not optimized on any platform.

Also, on your list:

RDR had no major game breaking bugs/flaws that weren't ironed out quickly

Fallout had the community to fix it while Bethesda worked on more permanent fixes

Skyrim had the community to fix it while Bethesda worked on more permanent fixes

GTA V...Well...Yea, I'll give you that one. Fair play

Batman AO I've never played, so you could be right.

Diablo 3 wasn't broken, it was just missing features that were in all previous installments, yes there were server issues, but that's not the game that's having a problem.

You do bring up some good points, and yes, no one is in the position for a refund because of this, but the point stands that the game needed more time, and more optimization.

Journey93
11-18-2014, 03:27 AM
Ubisoft is that you???
a very desperate attempt so what just because the games you listed also had a few glitches and bugs somehow Unity shouldn't get criticized??
What kind of logic is that?
And all the games you listed were nowhere near as bad as Unity in terms of performance

Also Unity's problems is not only the lacking performance but the terrible story, weak characters etc.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 04:16 AM
Ubisoft is that you???
a very desperate attempt so what just because the games you listed also had a few glitches and bugs somehow Unity shouldn't get criticized??

It's proving a point.

Kinda like saying "Ubisoft is that you???" is a strawman argument just because other games have other issues as well.

And all the games you listed were nowhere near as bad as Unity in terms of performance

Again though, the point is some people are acting like Ubisoft is the first game ever released to work correctly out the gate. Correctly being able to run properly without issues. If that list isn't good enough for you, GTAIV comes to mind quite easily.

Also Unity's problems is not only the lacking performance but the terrible story, weak characters etc.

This is all subjective. Some people enjoy the story, the characters and find it engaging. If you don't, that's not something that needs to be "fixed" and you're letting your opinions cloud your mind regarding the real issues.

I don't want a refund, however a Console game should never drop below 30 frames per second. Not in 2014, ever. That's not an opinion, that is a fact

You're free to think that, but that's not fact at all. The *fact* is, "Next Gen Consoles" are already being left behind at a rapid pace. 4K is already becoming mainstream and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Point is, console hardware isn't going to be up to snuff, and it's struggling already.

drmambo1999
11-18-2014, 04:52 AM
I agree for sure about the "sheep hate." Yes ACU has issues, yes it should have been delayed, but there are MANY people posting reviews on a game they haven't even played becuase they saw a video showing some bugs that can occur. Mind you, I haven't run into a single game breaking bug since I played aside from FPS and ONE moment where I felt I was seen while very well hidden in stealth mode. So these bugs are happening, but not all at once and to different people.

The game crash bug is not acceptable. I will agree with that, but the immersion breaking ones I can live with. I don't want to disregard those who are having real trouble playing the game because of bugs, but to those who are still stuck on the side lines (haven't played the game yet) complaining about the FPS and saying the game is crap on that fact only are the ones that really annoy me.

If you don't think the game is worth your money then don't get it. I just get annoyed when the focus is taken off the actual issues with the game's bugs, and blown out of proportion to make the game look like it as a whole is bad and every idea that was put into it was BAD. There are many good things about this game that I would love to see put into future AC games. The bugs are solely what detract from it in my opinion. (Story is a matter of opinion and has been a topic of discussion since AC has come out. Some people love it and some hate it.)

At any rate, once the bugs and FPS are fix which I will admit, Ubisoft needs hurry up if they can, this game will be a very solid AC game for me. lol I need to get off the forums before my brain explodes. XD

Cactiii
11-18-2014, 06:09 AM
For Unity I only ever have framerate issues when I'm near Notre Dame, which was simply too detailed, especially with the huge crowd out front. It's sad because it really is a masterpiece of design. Nowhere else in the game did I encounter framerate issues. I've had two glitches of clipping, both of which were solved by using a fast travel, and one crash, which was annoying but it was a one-off thing. Sadly, modern games seem to be coming with more and more of these issues off the bat, but really it wasn't distracting to me, and Ubisoft is already making a transparent attempt to fix them, which I respect. I have a few gripes with Unity, but overall it has to be somewhere above an 8.5 in my book, at lowest.

This comes in stark contrast to GTA5, which was mentioned really early on, where Rockstar had thousands of issues (online was literally unplayable for like a week, which was two weeks after releasing the game) and Rockstar did an awful job of communicating, with awfully misplaced priorities. (Heists? Nah, let's give them beach based dlc. In October. Charging people absurd amounts of money for dying and discouraging the chaos and impulsiveness of classic GTA by blatant greed? That sounds nice- while we're at it, let's nerf any ways of getting money without paying us). As you can tell, I detested Rockstar in GTA5. I'm being patient with Ubisoft, because they haven't let me down before (besides AC3).

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't want a refund, however a Console game should never drop below 30 frames per second. Not in 2014, ever. That's not an opinion, that is a fact that the game was not optimized on any platform.

Also, on your list:

RDR had no major game breaking bugs/flaws that weren't ironed out quickly

Fallout had the community to fix it while Bethesda worked on more permanent fixes

Skyrim had the community to fix it while Bethesda worked on more permanent fixes

GTA V...Well...Yea, I'll give you that one. Fair play

Batman AO I've never played, so you could be right.

Diablo 3 wasn't broken, it was just missing features that were in all previous installments, yes there were server issues, but that's not the game that's having a problem.

You do bring up some good points, and yes, no one is in the position for a refund because of this, but the point stands that the game needed more time, and more optimization.

"I" came across major glitches/bugs in RDR, getting stuck in walls, npc's and characters teleporting.
Apparently according to everyone it doesn't matter how quick it was fixed, it was still there for me at launch.

Fallout ( don't see how the community fixed it on consoles atleast, when bethesda push the patches through)
Skyrim (the same)

See the thing is, some people are having issues others are not, is the game completely broken in bugs/glitches ( not talking about non working online features, only core gameplay mechanics ) I personally don't think so. Like I said above depending on how many testers they were and how much time given they might not have come across some of the stuff that's been spoke of.

Like I said not trying to shush those complaining or defending the bugs/glitches but many big games have had them at launch especially games with big open worlds. Can't remember seeing as much hate for those games.

I'm just trying to understand where all this hate arises from

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Ubisoft is that you???

Guessing you are talking to me.

Not a desperate attempt of anything, the games I mentioned are some of the biggest games to be released in years gone by, I'm simply stating that I didn't see as much complaints in regards to those games around the web.

Your last sentence is a matter of opinion based on your experience with the game, I found Fallout + Skyrim far worse for game breaking bugs, Unity I've only come across fps drops. I play on a XB1 whether or not that makes a difference for the other bugs I don't know

BatsEendje
11-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Most likely the storyline, because that's totally messed up.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 12:31 PM
I've only played two of the games you mentioned (Skyrim and GTA V) and neither of them were as buggy as AC: Unity.

As for hating the new thing and Ubisoft as a whole, well I've been a fan of Ubisoft games since 2003, and I've liked every AC game, with the exception of AC3 (which was buggy too - but not this buggy). As for complaining, no, I've never complained this much about any console game I've bought, because no console game had this many bugs. I switched over to consoles from the PC because I was tired of PC game developers releasing unfinished games, and at the time console developers had a reputation for releasing fully polished games. The only game I ever had that had more bugs than AC: Unity was Red Baron 2 - a PC game that came out 17 years ago.

Sure, there are some people out there that want to see Ubisoft drop Assassin's Creed because they don't appreciate it and want Ubisoft to use those resources making different games. But very few of those people are here.

There are very serious and major problems with this release. That is the problem and that's the only reason we are upset about it. Ubisoft should be better than this, and when I pay $60 for a game, I expect it to work properly. If it doesn't, I have every right to be as mad as hell. Anyone who thinks otherwise when a game this broken hits the shelves is nothing more than a fanboy in denial.

Jackdaw951
11-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Personally having read the forum the past few days, it seems much of this hate is from sheep just hating on the new thing and possibly Ubisoft as a whole.
Most things are based on preference and opinion of that said user or just because they don't like change.

Now complaints about the story or new changes in this game which weren't in older games I see as fine as I have the same view on a few.

But this is targeted at those that keep claiming for refunds, or all the bugs/glitches this and that, f*** Ubisoft, worst AC due to these details alone, never buying another sequel again.

My question is

If you played these games or even liked them, did you (1) moan as much (2) think they were great games even with these problems. (3) Go to get a refund ASAP

RDR
Fallout
Skyrim
GTA V
Batman AO
Diablo 3

. . .

I've used a similar argument before myself. For example, if Alex Navarro's 4/10 Unity review score at Giant Bomb is justified because of the technical issues, then they need to go back and retract all of the good scores they gave games like Skyrim, which launched with horrendous bugs, and still to this day needs technical work on the consoles.

In addition to such nonsense, there is a lot of PS4-console-fanboy hate going around, because of the perceived "parity" hamstringing of the PS4 version to 900p resolution. No amount of science or logic will convince these folks that the game is CPU-bound, and therefore the 50% GPU advantage in their beloved toys won't make a bit of difference to performance. They are adamant that Ubi made a deal with the Microsoft devil to hold their superior version back. Not much can be done about them, other than ignore them.

Personally, I find the game quite enjoyable even with its inexcusable technical faults.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
...according to everyone it doesn't matter how quick it was fixed, it was still there for me at launch.

Yes, because when you pay full price for a game, people expect it to work, and not just barely - they expect it to work well. I realize that's a difficult concept for you.

...is the game completely broken in bugs/glitches ( not talking about non working online features, only core gameplay mechanics ) I personally don't think so.

Then you're wrong. Heck, I can't even do some missions (i.e. The Infernal Machine) because the ranged shooting mechanic makes it impossible to shoot someone over balconies or through windows! That is a core gameplay mechanic that's completely broken.

...Like I said above depending on how many testers they were and how much time given they might not have come across some of the stuff that's been spoke of.

Well yes, if testers are not given enough time, they're not going to catch bugs. But that's no excuse. Back in the 2000s, console developers almost never turned out a game that didn't play fine on release, because testers and QC departments were given enough time. You are excusing the inexcusable.

Like I said not trying to shush those complaining or defending the bugs/glitches

No, the problem is not that you're trying to stifle dissent. You just don't understand how people could be upset when they pay $60 for a broken game. I get that.

I'm just trying to understand where all this hate arises from

It arises from Ubisoft releasing a broken game and charging us $60 for it. Sure, bugs aren't a problem after they fix them, and the problem is not as bad when games are in the bargain bin. But that isn't the case here. We're not playing a game that's been fixed and we're not playing a game that cost us only $10.

...the games I mentioned are some of the biggest games to be released in years gone by, I'm simply stating that I didn't see as much complaints in regards to those games around the web.

Then you haven't been looking.

Unity I've only come across fps drops.

Then you're one of the lucky ones.

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Then you haven't been looking.

Then you're one of the lucky ones.

I was looking at the time and I personally didn't see as many threads in such a short period of time as the there have been here.

Sorry you are having issue's with your game and like I said I am not defending the problems that do exist, just stating what I see on the forum and some others I'm on.

Just wondering whether most of this hate ( bugs/glitches, features. story aside) are just hating on Ubisoft which is the current trend, or just in regards to locking the frames and lowering resolution for both console versions. As there was a lot of hate for Unity before it released it seems some of it could have continued into release.

I'm a gamer at the end of the day, I want people to enjoy this game as much as I have since I've encountered small issues.It's not a thread created to tell people to stop complaining because I agree that the problems shouldn't be there but no game can be bug free as with most things 100% can't be guaranteed..

One gameplay mechanic doesn't mean the entire game is broken, a part perhaps.

i do understand why people are upset about it, I never said I didn't. The thing I'm discussing is whether most of the hate generated towards the game is based on something else other than it's problems

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 01:35 PM
When I buy a game I usually play it for at most a month before losing interest. There are a very few games that I continue to play on a regular basis long after they came out: Star Wars Battlefront is one, Left 4 Dead is another. Since my time with a game is short, it's very important to me that games arrive in my house fully ready to play. If they aren't, the developer has only a few days to put the game right. If not, my only experience with the game is one filled with frustration. When I pay $60 for a game, that's nearly a day's wages for me, and I work hard for that money, so when I buy something with it, I expect a fully finished product. THAT is why I have a legitimate gripe about this game.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
When I buy a game I usually play it for at most a month before losing interest. There are a very few games that I continue to play on a regular basis long after they came out: Star Wars Battlefront is one, Left 4 Dead is another. Since my time with a game is short, it's very important to me that games arrive in my house fully ready to play. If they aren't, the developer has only a few days to put the game right. If not, my only experience with the game is one filled with frustration. When I pay $60 for a game, that's nearly a day's wages for me, and I work hard for that money, so when I buy something with it, I expect a fully finished product. THAT is why I have a legitimate gripe about this game.

You sir are using your brain, congratulations! That was my point from the beggining of this topic, but it's just so hard for them to recieve some things. Wish you best sir, and good luck with that mess of a game.

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 04:07 PM
You sir are using your brain, congratulations! That was my point from the beggining of this topic, but it's just so hard for them to recieve some things. Wish you best sir, and good luck with that mess of a game.

I've agreed on most of what he says, it's you that couldn't quite understand what everyone else on the board says "pure fact" ( quote from you), maybe if you stop and read the posts for what they are rather than what you think you see you'll understand. This thread has nothing to do with the game itself, but whether or not most people here are hating it just because it's cool too ( like CoD series, most people won't have played it but still says it sucks or insult it because others do ) there are other companies and games this happens to.

I've said it numerous times what I think of the bug/glitches in posts throughout this thread and can't be bothered to type them again and I think my view on them is fair.

I like the way the first post was by you asking whether or not I was a butthurt fanboy, great way to answer a thread. Now I'm dumb to understand stuff and not using my brain

Now if you have nothing constructive to bring to the thread on what I asked, then stay away please

steveeire
11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
I like this game but tbf Helix points is enough reason alone to hate this game, and nothing works right, it is the buggiest game I've played in along time, since Skyrim on PS3 I suppose.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
I've agreed on most of what he says, it's you that couldn't quite understand what everyone else on the board says "pure fact" ( quote from you), maybe if you stop and read the posts for what they are rather than what you think you see you'll understand. This thread has nothing to do with the game itself, but whether or not most people here are hating it just because it's cool too ( like CoD series, most people won't have played it but still says it sucks or insult it because others do ) there are other companies and games this happens to.

I've said it numerous times what I think of the bug/glitches in posts throughout this thread and can't be bothered to type them again and I think my view on them is fair.

I like the way the first post was by you asking whether or not I was a butthurt fanboy, great way to answer a thread. Now I'm dumb to understand stuff and not using my brain

Now if you have nothing constructive to bring to the thread on what I asked, then stay away please

Are you fuc*ing dumb or what is wrong with you? Yes, the PURE FACT is that the game was released in awful condition, just look around this forum and you'll se what are people complaning about. Hate? Yes I hate greedy companies like Ubisoft is at the moment ok? Look at the YouTube, look at the reviews of this mess. Do you recieve, I'll ask you again.

What the fu*k do you even want to know from me? Why I complain about this game, or why I hate those greedy, monopolistic corporations like Ubisoft is at the moment? I complain about fuc*ing broken game, OK? I personally have problems with it! I paid for it, and I will complain. About those jumping on "hate bandwagon"... Yeah, I agree, if you didn't play the game, don't talk about it, because you don't know nothing about it. I said it 100 times, I would enjoy this game so much if this dog sh*t would even work as it should, and wouldn't complain about anything. I like it when developers come out with new ideas for the franchize, new mechanics, new characters, new stories, new engines and so on, but I HATE when they release mess for $60. If you have personal problem with my posts don't even read them. Your thread was named as "Unity serious question for the complaints" and I did complain, so I thought that I might answer to you, and give my reasons why I complained. Now if you have problem with that, than you should stay away please.

I never had anything to say about Ubisoft, in fact the were one of my favourite companies out there. Played all of the AC, Price of Persia, Splinter Cell's and so on, but I don't like the direction they took- DOWNHILL with their own greed for money and not giving a damn about customers. Do you understand now?

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Are you fuc*ing dumb or what is wrong with you? Yes, the PURE FACT is that the game was released in awful condition, just look around this forum and you'll se what are people complaning about. Hate? Yes I hate greedy companies like Ubisoft is at the moment ok? Look at the YouTube, look at the reviews of this mess. Do you recieve, I'll ask you again.

What the fu*k do you even want to know from me? Why I complain about this game, or why I hate those greedy, monopolistic corporations like Ubisoft is at the moment? I complain about fuc*ing broken game, OK? I personally have problems with it! I paid for it, and I will complain. About those jumping on "hate bandwagon"... Yeah, I agree, if you didn't play the game, don't talk about it, because you don't know nothing about it. I said it 100 times, I would enjoy this game so much if this dog sh*t would even work as it should, and wouldn't complain about anything. I like it when developers come out with new ideas for the franchize, new mechanics, new characters, new stories, new engines and so on, but I HATE when they release mess for $60. If you have personal problem with my posts don't even read them. Your thread was named as "Unity serious question for the complaints" and I did complain, so I thought that I might answer to you, and give my reasons why I complained. Now if you have problem with that, than you should stay away please.

I never had anything to say about Ubisoft, in fact the were one of my favourite companies out there. Played all of the AC, Price of Persia, Splinter Cell's and so on, but I don't like the direction they took- DOWNHILL with their own greed for money and not giving a damn about customers. Do you understand now?

It's hard to say that Ubisoft is "greedy" and don't care about the customers when they are already working on Patch 3, had 2 patches release in a week's time since release and is providing a blog keeping us updated. Sorry, that's customer service right there.

It's not good enough for some though, and expect no problems out the gate. That's just not going to happen for everyone, but again that doesn't mean it was a crappy release and "half-finished."

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 08:02 PM
It's hard to say that Ubisoft is "greedy" and don't care about the customers when they are already working on Patch 3, had 2 patches release in a week's time since release and is providing a blog keeping us updated. Sorry, that's customer service right there.

It's not good enough for some though, and expect no problems out the gate. That's just not going to happen for everyone, but again that doesn't mean it was a crappy release and "half-finished."

Yeah, and that's why they need to release 100 patches to fix this pile of crap. There is no point to discuss about that with fanboys though...

Charles_Phipps
11-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Dude, I review video games as a hobby and have done a 100+.

Unity is a bad game from someone who LIKES Assassin's Creed.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 08:46 PM

Rubbish! It's a desperate attempt to shore up the company's stock price, which took a nose dive when news of this game's incompetent release got out. "Customer service" means releasing a finished game and thereby keeping the customer happy THROUGHOUT his experience with the game.

You know all this fanboy denial just makes people MORE upset about the game, right? I mean, there are serious issues with this game, and you folks just try to whitewash it all and pretend that the bad news is just due to "haters". Well, I've been a fan of AC since the first game, and I'm complaining because Ubisoft used to be (and should be) better than this.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Rubbish! It's a desperate attempt to shore up the company's stock price, which took a nose dive when news of this game's incompetent release got out. "Customer service" means releasing a finished game and thereby keeping the customer happy THROUGHOUT his experience with the game.

You know all this fanboy denial just makes people MORE upset about the game, right? I mean, there are serious issues with this game, and you folks just try to whitewash it all and pretend that the bad news is just due to "haters". Well, I've been a fan of AC since the first game, and I'm complaining because Ubisoft used to be (and should be) better than this.

What you call fanboy denial, I call "understanding how software works." As someone who works with programming languages on a regular basis, issues can and do happen. I'm sorry you're the "opposite" of whatever a fanboy is, but not every single game is going to be released working functionally for everyone.

As for "whitewashing" I'm "doing that" because I'm not having issues. The fact that you've been playing since AC1 and this seems to be the first problems you've had should be a clear indicator to you that you're letting one game release cloud your mind.

You do realize that as more and more games add more online content it's going to cause more problems right? I certainly don't condone all this online rubbish but I understand that's a serious problem with games, especially as of late.

You can sit there and call me names and insult me, but if you didn't play Watch_Dogs, then this is a far cry from that fiasco where patches didn't come out for a month after release, and there was zero communication from Ubisoft on the matter either.

You've been around since the 60s, stop acting like this is your first video game with issues and acting like an entitled child. I had you pegged for someone far more mature and with a basic understanding how this process works. I guess I was wrong.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Exactly, but like I said, there is no point to discuss that with those fanboys here, they just won't admit that this game has serious problems (technical) and shouldn't be released at this condition by any means. And now they think that everyone hates their beloved Ubisoft. Bullsh*t at it's finest right here. Just get it together, if everybody would be hating Ubisoft so much, would anyone even bother with their games? No, exactly. I do care, and I will care, because back in the days they were not that careless with their games as they are today. If the game would be fine and all of the complaints would be just a "product" of hating on Ubisoft would they even bother with those patches? Probably not, right? So just please, stop with that fanboyism crap, because it's not interesting at all. People are complaining on all platforms, not just consoles. Some of them can't even start their game, that's just not acceptable by someone that actually cares about AC.

"Customer service" means releasing a finished game and thereby keeping the customer happy THROUGHOUT his experience with the game.

Word for that Pr0metheus...

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Exactly, but like I said, there is no point to discuss that with those fanboys here, they just won't admit that this game has serious problems (technical) and shouldn't be released at this condition by any means. And now they think that everyone hates their beloved Ubisoft. Bullsh*t at it's finest right here. Just get it together, if everybody would be hating Ubisoft so much, would anyone even bother with their games? No, exactly. I do care, and I will care, because back in the days they were not that careless with their games as they are today. If the game would be fine and all of the complaints would be just a "product" of hating on Ubisoft would they even bother with those patches? Probably not, right? So just please, stop with that fanboyism crap, because it's not interesting at all. People are complaining on all platforms, not just consoles. Some of them can't even start their game, that's just not acceptable by someone that actually cares about AC.

"Customer service" means releasing a finished game and thereby keeping the customer happy THROUGHOUT his experience with the game.

Go troll elsewhere please, clearly you can't read anything I've posted.

How am I a fanboy?
1.Where have I denied bug/glitches?
2.Where have I said the game should have been released with bugs?
I like one series from Ubisoft, hardly love them that much

I always stated my own experience of the game, I made that clear every post I made and I said I understand the problems existing and they shouldn't have been there or released but sometimes they are missed out due to human error of not coming across them while testing or coding errors. Is this an excuse or defending them, not really. It's understanding some things are more complex as they seem and that they should be sorted out asap and the main priority right now for Ubisoft

Like I said in my first line, go troll elsewhere because clearly you have not been properly reading what I've wrote properly

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 09:30 PM
What you call fanboy denial, I call "understanding how software works." As someone who works with programming languages on a regular basis, issues can and do happen.

Sure, they happen. And the mark of a good company is shown by how they respond when these things happen. A good company does not just shovel crap out the door onto the heads of their customers. In a good company, management sees the problem and either solves it so that it doesn't affect the customer, or they delay the release so that the customer is not left holding the bag. That's not what happened here, and that's why Ubisoft's share price dropped 8%. Companies don't lose 8% of their share price unless they've screwed up big time.

Sejdovic11
11-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Go troll elsewhere please, clearly you can't read anything I've posted.

How am I a fanboy?
1.Where have I denied bug/glitches?
2.Where have I said the game should have been released with bugs?
I like one series from Ubisoft, hardly love them that much

I always stated my own experience of the game, I made that clear every post I made and I said I understand the problems existing and they shouldn't have been there or released but sometimes they are missed out due to human error of not coming across them while testing or coding errors.

Like I said in my first line, go troll elsewhere because clearly you have not been properly reading what I've wrote properly

Did I mention your name anywhere? I don't give a sh*t about you, what's your problem here? Just fuc* off man, I never said anything about you, neither mentioned your nickname. If you found yourself in my last comment than that's your own problem, not my. Like I said, fuc* off, I don't know why the fu*k are you ranting over me... You opened this thread to ask if we hate on Ubisoft and just jumping on bandwagon. No, we fu*king hate the fact that they released a broken game. And please, don't answer to me, don't bother with me, just fu*k off, mind your own business, and I won't bother with you. Have a nice day.

DEADP5YCH0
11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Did I mention your name anywhere? I don't give a sh*t about you, what's your problem here? Just fuc* off man, I never said anything about you, neither mentioned your nickname. If you found yourself in my last comment than that's your own problem, not my. Like I said, fuc* off, I don't know why the fu*k are you ranting over me...

Don't need a name or nickname posted to know you were implying me, it's clear to see to most that would read this thread as I'm one of the few to keep commenting back.
Don't try to play victim when you know in that post I was one of the "fanboys" you were speaking of.

Funny thing is, you don't need to comment back on my thread, I have no problem as you are the one being aggressive in regards to response

Dan77777777777
11-18-2014, 10:05 PM
I've complained a lot, but not about the bugs. Bugs have never bothered me too much. However, with the exception of new animations and parkouring down, gameplay is pretty much the same boring thing. Combat is more difficult (slightly) but it is super slow and not too responsive. It's good the infinite kill streak is gone but it would still be nice to be able to take out a few guards in sequence instead off parrying then hacking away at one guard at a time.

The story is pretty weak, but what makes it worse is that it is vague. There is hardly any introduction to characters and it's hard to understand why Arno is taking out certain targets. Rather than develop a few good characters like Napoleon the writers opt to throw in a bunch of historical figures that Arno briefly interacts with. Also, the story hardly makes mention of a French Revolution. People who don't know history probably don't know what is going on.

Although the graphics are not quite near what was advertised, they are the best ones yet for an AC game. So there's a diamond in the rough.

It's not a bad game, but it doesn't live up to the hype. That's a trend with a lot of these new AAA games though.

Neotency
11-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Wall of Text incoming. Also I suspect this is a bit ranty. You've been warned.

I'm going to go ahead and ignore the bit of meandering that's taken place here and respond to the initial question. First though, a bit of background:

I've been playing Ubisoft games for ages and games in general for much longer. I've seen good, bad, and absolutely ugly game openings and acknowledge that no producer is immune from the various hiccups that plague products once they hit the shelves. I'm a diehard fan of the AC series and have owned and nearly 100% sync'd every title except for Liberation and Rogue as of now. I tend to wander off once it comes down the final little tidbits.

Alright, moving on - I have indeed played most of the games OP mentioned. In a game like Fallout of Skyrim where there are practically limitless code flags and terrain issues abound, I think it's actually foolish to hope for a pristine release. Having that mentality I never took a gamebreaking bug as more than a severe annoyance in lieu of an experience ruining blasphemy that called for the head of development being impaled. GTA V was a bork in terms of online play, and I'm still embittered over the lack of the heist system that was promised beforehand... but I loved the main story and encountered very few issues. The game still rates pretty highly with me. Diablo III isn't something I see as being in the same ballpark, and I've had a love/hate relationship with Blizzard for years now over the changes in the Diablo and Starcraft franchises. Always On DRM has been a sore spot as I've yet to see a single developer keep their servers up during the first two weeks of release.

So, now, Unity. I, personally, haven't encountered many bugs and not a single thing that was 'gamebreaking.' I -have- encountered framerate issues and one instance where the Assassin hideout didn't load textures and made it appear as though I was walking in outer space. That was more entertaining than upsetting, though.

My gripes come from the companion app, macrotransactions, and the (admittedly expected) lack of online availability. The companion app was entertaining at first, hearkening back to my Brotherhood days, but quickly grew tiresome to manage and for me fell to the wayside. The concept was there, but the execution and feel was just a bit lacking. There's just something about playing a game on my phone while playing one on my PS4 that never jived with me. The macrotransactions (That's not a typo. If you have $100 packages for sale there's nothing 'micro' about it.) are a personal pet peeve of mine that have no business existing in the console/pc gaming market. It's money gouging plain and simple. Coming from a generation where shareware and extended demos were a thing, I even find DLC and Season Passes to be a point of irritation so perhaps that's just me. There was a pretty severe PR mis-step locking reviews out as they did and I don't see the wisdom in not having some kind of a beta with a game so heavily invested in multiplayer/online play. Uplay and Initiates (Initiates especially, considering the lengthy 'beta' that -did- in fact run) should have been functioning on a core level out of the gate and they simply did not. It's been a week and I'm still waiting for club competitions alongside the nifty gear that remains locked out to me as a result. Further, in this day and age where game companies are growing increasingly comfortable with blatantly lying to consumers regarding their product quality (I'm looking right at you, WatchDogs), it's correspondingly easy for consumers to react harshly with less and less provocation. It's also easy to start recognizing certain, hated, patterns of behavior among developers. EA laid a significant amount of groundwork here and Ubisoft unfortunately followed in a few of those footsteps. They started with Uplay points and the interactions I had to go through in Black Flag unsettled me a bit as it felt like microtransaction training. Now here we are and the whole shebang is in full gear. Games are coming out every single year like CoD clones. Nothing feels 'fresh,' or innovative.

So what does this all boil down to? I don't hate Unity, I'm still playing and collecting some final things, but I am displeased. Gameplay changes are expected, combat changes are expected, movement changes are all expected, and bugs are absolutely expected. In a few weeks there probably won't even be any remaining issues with gameplay. Everything will be sorted out and running smoothly. Unfortunately, in a few weeks I won't be interested in playing Unity any more. I'll be doing something else or playing another game. Unity will fall to the wayside. The pattern here is that games nowadays are no longer 'complete' at launch and I'm not sure how to move forward with that knowledge. I'll probably still look into Ubisoft and support some games but I damn sure won't ever purchase anything at launch from them ever again after all the flubs this year. I'll wait for the inevitable month it will take after launch to fix everything. I'll probably forget about the game at that point since the hype will be dead and simply resort to picking up the title months down the road when I notice the prices drop. I know many people that feel the same way, and quite frankly, that's not the feeling you want to be instilling into your customer base.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Sure, they happen. And the mark of a good company is shown by how they respond when these things happen. A good company does not just shovel crap out the door onto the heads of their customers. In a good company, management sees the problem and either solves it so that it doesn't affect the customer, or they delay the release so that the customer is not left holding the bag. That's not what happened here, and that's why Ubisoft's share price dropped 8%. Companies don't lose 8% of their share price unless they've screwed up big time.

The response is pretty clear. Two patches in less than a week, with discussion of a third patch on the way? Updates and strong, clear communication?

Again, compare this to Watch_Dogs and they've learned to not be vague and avoid any information or putting out patches with a serious delay.

As for the 8%... that doesn't mean anything in the span of all things.

Wrong son. I'm not a Ubisoft fanboy. I'm an Assassin's Creed fanboy. But my issue, and I keep saying it you, because you don't get it, is that not everyone is having issues. From a technical standpoint, I tried to explain it to you. It's not fanboyism in the least to try to get a point across to you that:

1) Other games get released with issues
2) Ubisoft is listening and communicating.
3) Not everyone is having issues.

None of that is in defense of Ubisoft. It's just fact. It's being open-minded about issues and problems and realizing they happen. Coming on a forum and having a discussion and having a thorough thought process is far better than just coming here and insulting other people because you're upset over a game release and can't seem to hold an argument otherwise so you resort to the strawman argument that everyone who disagrees or tries to show you a different idea of thinking even if you don't agree and is automatically a fanboy isn't conducive in resolving the issues that are happening.

No, customer service is getting help after the fact. If a game is released and works flawless, customer service isn't needed, is it?

Wall of Text incoming. Also I suspect this is a bit ranty. You've been warned.

I'm going to go ahead and ignore the bit of meandering that's taken place here and respond to the initial question. First though, a bit of background:

I've been playing Ubisoft games for ages and games in general for much longer. I've seen good, bad, and absolutely ugly game openings and acknowledge that no producer is immune from the various hiccups that plague products once they hit the shelves. I'm a diehard fan of the AC series and have owned and nearly 100% sync'd every title except for Liberation and Rogue as of now. I tend to wander off once it comes down the final little tidbits.

Good opening. *keeps reading*

Alright, moving on - I have indeed played most of the games OP mentioned. In a game like Fallout of Skyrim where there are practically limitless code flags and terrain issues abound, I think it's actually foolish to hope for a pristine release. Having that mentality I never took a gamebreaking bug as more than a severe annoyance in lieu of an experience ruining blasphemy that called for the head of development being impaled. GTA V was a bork in terms of online play, and I'm still embittered over the lack of the heist system that was promised beforehand... but I loved the main story and encountered very few issues. The game still rates pretty highly with me. Diablo III isn't something I see as being in the same ballpark, and I've had a love/hate relationship with Blizzard for years now over the changes in the Diablo and Starcraft franchises. Always On DRM has been a sore spot as I've yet to see a single developer keep their servers up during the first two weeks of release.

This guy gets it.

So, now, Unity. I, personally, haven't encountered many bugs and not a single thing that was 'gamebreaking.' I -have- encountered framerate issues and one instance where the Assassin hideout didn't load textures and made it appear as though I was walking in outer space. That was more entertaining than upsetting, though.

My gripes come from the companion app, macrotransactions, and the (admittedly expected) lack of online availability. The companion app was entertaining at first, hearkening back to my Brotherhood days, but quickly grew tiresome to manage and for me fell to the wayside. The concept was there, but the execution and feel was just a bit lacking. There's just something about playing a game on my phone while playing one on my PS4 that never jived with me. The macrotransactions (That's not a typo. If you have $100 packages for sale there's nothing 'micro' about it.) are a personal pet peeve of mine that have no business existing in the console/pc gaming market. It's money gouging plain and simple. Coming from a generation where shareware and extended demos were a thing, I even find DLC and Season Passes to be a point of irritation so perhaps that's just me.

Agreed, though I know that certain people will want to play Unity mainly for the Co-Op, my fiancÚ is one of these people and having the Macrotransactions is handy for someone who doesn't want to play the entire story all the way through.

There was a pretty severe PR mis-step locking reviews out as they did and I don't see the wisdom in not having some kind of a beta with a game so heavily invested in multiplayer/online play. Uplay and Initiates (Initiates especially, considering the lengthy 'beta' that -did- in fact run) should have been functioning on a core level out of the gate and they simply did not. It's been a week and I'm still waiting for club competitions alongside the nifty gear that remains locked out to me as a result. Further, in this day and age where game companies are growing increasingly comfortable with blatantly lying to consumers regarding their product quality (I'm looking right at you, WatchDogs), it's correspondingly easy for consumers to react harshly with less and less provocation. It's also easy to start recognizing certain, hated, patterns of behavior among developers. EA laid a significant amount of groundwork here and Ubisoft unfortunately followed in a few of those footsteps. They started with Uplay points and the interactions I had to go through in Black Flag unsettled me a bit as it felt like microtransaction training. Now here we are and the whole shebang is in full gear. Games are coming out every single year like CoD clones. Nothing feels 'fresh,' or innovative.

I agree about the beta, and the review embargoes that occurred, and I was very surprised to see that Initiates wasn't ready before the release, and apparently still isn't ready now. (I haven't checked, but I still have my account level from before and have been able to get the outfits so far, so that doesn't matter to me)

I feel like from Watch_Dogs, Ubisoft has learned from their mistakes and isn't leaving us in the dark and are trying. Would releasing a game where it worked perfectly and pleased everyone across the board be awesome? Absolutely. In a perfect world. But I know better, and it seems like you do as well.

So what does this all boil down to? I don't hate Unity, I'm still playing and collecting some final things, but I am displeased. Gameplay changes are expected, combat changes are expected, movement changes are all expected, and bugs are absolutely expected. In a few weeks there probably won't even be any remaining issues with gameplay. Everything will be sorted out and running smoothly. Unfortunately, in a few weeks I won't be interested in playing Unity any more. I'll be doing something else or playing another game. Unity will fall to the wayside. The pattern here is that games nowadays are no longer 'complete' at launch and I'm not sure how to move forward with that knowledge. I'll probably still look into Ubisoft and support some games but I damn sure won't ever purchase anything at launch from them ever again after all the flubs this year. I'll wait for the inevitable month it will take after launch to fix everything. I'll probably forget about the game at that point since the hype will be dead and simply resort to picking up the title months down the road when I notice the prices drop. I know many people that feel the same way, and quite frankly, that's not the feeling you want to be instilling into your customer base.

This is very true for all games, sadly. It gets to a point where most plow through it with the minor issues and don't enjoy themselves or just give up on it completely and swear to never purchase a game from XXX developer again.

I feel like the Co-Op has replay value though, so hopefully people like my fiancÚ who just want a pick up game will be able to play it, even six months from now.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-18-2014, 11:38 PM
The response is pretty clear. Two patches in less than a week, with discussion of a third patch on the way? Updates and strong, clear communication?

Don't you get it? That doesn't matter! It's all too little too late.

It would be great, if it made my experience with the game any better, but it hasn't. The game - that I paid $60 for - is still nowhere near fixed, and I've already finished the main story missions and most of the additional content before the first patch hit the Xbox, and I've had a frustrating time the whole way through. Why should their scramble to fix what should have been fixed prior to release make me feel any better? Their fixes are too late for that.

Again, compare this to Watch_Dogs and they've learned to not be vague and avoid any information or putting out patches with a serious delay.

How they're doing in terms of public relations compared to another game they released before it was finished is irrelevant. Their new-found ability to do competent PR in covering up and whitewashing their production blunders doesn't make my game experience any better.

As for the 8%... that doesn't mean anything in the span of all things...

If Ubisoft keeps going along the path it's chosen, that 8% will turn into 10% and then 20% and 50% and sooner or later the company will go out of business. And that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things either, nor do all the flawed games and the lost jobs that result from it. I'd just prefer the small scheme of things to work out a bit differently, so that we get good games and so that Ubisoft stays relevant and people keep their jobs.

But you're right - nothing any of us ever does will matter in the grand scheme of things. Does that mean we should just stop trying to make things better and be content with mediocrity? You may think so. I do not. In fact I think your attitude of "It's good enough" is a big part of the problem at Ubisoft.

drmambo1999
11-19-2014, 05:29 AM
I don't understand when people continue playing a game that is in a state that they feel is unplayable when they know there are patches coming out to fix the very things that make it "unplayable" and say the patches are too little too late, because they have near completed the game.

Just to be clear I still agree ACU should have been postponed, but it seems to me that this mind set is what causes games like this to get put on the back burner and possibly even left unfinished, because the company has decided it is a lost cause. I understand the frustration with the bugs at launch, they shouldn't have happened, but please, for the sake of all the gamers who still want to play this game the way it was meant to be played, don't disregard the importance of patching it by saying it doesn't matter.

EDIT: I do want to be clear, I am not intending to attack anyone here when I type this. I really do understand the frustration of being promised something at a specific time and then having it not work when you get it. It can be one of the most disappointing feelings under any circumstance. All I am saying is, if there is an effort to make it right, please don't turn it away.

QQuegChristian
11-19-2014, 07:56 AM
First, fair warning that I'm the guy that wrote the sarcastic Amazon review of Unity that was passed around the internet.

Second, no I have not played a single game on that list, honestly.

Third, Unity was the single most frustrating game I've ever played and I HAVE played The Evil Within.

My wife and I (her name is actually Elise) went on our honeymoon in Florence. Went horseback riding in Monterrigiano even, which is pretty crazy... And then Assassin's Creed 2 came out. I believe we'd actually been to Florence twice before it came out (four times now). That game was magical for us and we've sat down and played every Assassin's Creed game together upon launch ever since.

Unity was the reason I bought a PS4. It had been far too long since Assassin's Creed was in a proper city and my wife and I couldn't wait. We went to Paris on our first anniversary, so we were going into Unity with another wonderful personal connection to the location.

The game is broken, boring, and borderline theft. We played on a brand new PS4 with fully updated firmware with the game updated with patch 1 and then patch 2. We turned our internet connection off to squeeze as many frames as possible out of it, but the experience was simply terrible.

Here's the thing... I am working on post production on a film this week through at least January. Last week, I was completely free. Ubisoft didn't wait for me to patch them my money and I have a life that can't wait for patches to come in. I played through Unity like a chore that I had to finish to feel less like I was ripped off. It was either that or wait until January or February when I am free again and the game will cost $22.95 on Amazon.

I learned an important lesson with Unity. That I am truly done beta testing $60 games so that the people that pick it up in the bargain bin next year can have a wonderfully patched experience.

We fell through the ground or got stuck in objects having to reset about 10 times in our plathrough, but it was honestly the erratic frame rate that ruined the entire game for me. I'm very sensitive to frame rate as I am a cinematographer, and the frame rate combined with fast motion and long draw distances can be disorienting and fatiguing. I can't see a reason to stick up for the presentation of this game, at least in the PS4 version.

We were consistently losing all sound effects during combat... Just no sword sounds or anything. Audio in cinematics was constantly popping.

My wife spent hours trying to play the brothel murder mystery but it would never pop up on her map. She was even in the room with a bloodied bed but no mission. I mean, she went back to that damn place 10 times.

There was another mission we couldn't get to pop up either, even after beating the game. No amount of eagle vision would work.

There's a lot of talented people at Ubisoft, but clearly there also some higher ups that weighed the bad press of releasing an unfinished game versus the loss of not selling for the holidays. They chose to take our money now and patch later because their stock would've gone down even further had they postponed their annual AC game. That is the biggest problem with an annual franchise... That the stockholders are already banking on the game before it is even announced. Ubisoft literally HAS to deliver. They are a company. They chose their stockholders over their fans. Imagine what would happen to Apple's stock if, at the last minute, they postponed their annual iPhone release until after the holidays!

Pr0metheus 1962
11-19-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't understand when people continue playing a game that is in a state that they feel is unplayable...

No one says it's unplayable. That's part of the problem - it is playable - fun even. So we play it, and we get endlessly frustrated by the annoying bugs that should not be there. You don't get frustrated by a game that's unplayable. If it was unplayable, we could return it and wait for patches.

Fun and frustrating are not mutually exclusive. And Unity is by far the most frustrating game I've ever had fun playing, since Red Baron II on the PC.

It's disgusting that they can release a game this unfinished and not be charged with defrauding the customer.

dxsxhxcx
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
What you call fanboy denial, I call "understanding how software works." As someone who works with programming languages on a regular basis, issues can and do happen. I'm sorry you're the "opposite" of whatever a fanboy is, but not every single game is going to be released working functionally for everyone.

bugs and glitches happen but a company that annualize a franchise in order to maximize profit clearly putting quality on second (or third) place in their priority list doesn't deserve to be cut some slack because of this...

MnemonicSyntax
11-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Ah well, that's you guys opinion. In a month it'll all or mostly be fixed for the better and the cycle will repeat next year.

So maybe for the people who have issues should just wait it out next time? Or for most games for that matter, because Ubisoft sure as hell isn't the only dev studio to have problems on launch.

You guys seem so bitter, yet you keep buying their games, coming on the forums, etc. Vote with your wallets then. Don't preorder games. Wait for it to go on sale. Don't buy the game period and find a different franchise to sink your money into.

Those are your options.

RpgCraig
11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
overall i would give the game a 6/10 story good, gameplay decent, online coop play good, the theres the requirement for a lot of the equipment. i don't mind playing a game and having to buy some equipment for cash even but having to have an app as a requirement or playing a club competition thing that doesn't exist on release is total bull and its shoddy business practice if the next ac is like this im done with ubisofts games for awhile. i didn't like watchdogs online feature either tbh its lame i would rather play ac online where the whole games online or play ac single player thats does not require you to be online to access the items or equipment in the game so that ruined it for me. i played just before patch and i have only crashed 2 times after patch 2 not before it lol

Dan77777777777
11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
The game just doesn't feel right. In a way it feels like a step backwards. Combat is pretty boring. I know the killstreak mechanic in other games was boring and too easy but at least it was over pretty quick. Maybe with the new system if it was not so slow it would be better. It would be nice to pull off some combo kills with at least two people though. They could do it without having the ridiculous kill streak. I just wish that the AC games had some free flow combat that required skill to be honest. If they could implement some stealth that wasn't so arcade-like as well then I would be set. The free running is a little better now at least, but it definitely still has issues. One thing that is a pain is getting shot so much when being chased.

I'm not against change, but unity just wasn't that fun.