PDA

View Full Version : Is the story in Unity actually that bad?

Ziiimmie
11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
i keep hearing bad things about the story in Unity is it actually that bad :confused:

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Yeas,it is really weak ad short IMO.And something i joticed is:"Where is the reign of terror?!?!?!?!?!?!"It lasts barely 1-2 sequences....

rob1990312
11-17-2014, 04:05 PM
its not short is just kind of forgettable and dull but it is still a good game

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's that bad, no. There's almost nothing to roll your eyes at, unlike say AC3 which is loaded with duff moments.

It might feel different depending on how you play it, however. I was spacing out all my main missions with side content up to a point, when I felt like I'd done enough to allow myself to just take the story through to its end. I think that was the best way to go, and maybe it feels different if you play them in more of a chain.

I'm sure it could be better, and I can see why it might leave some people cold, but I think it's a huge overstatement when people say it's actively "bad". Previous games had howling problems, whereas this game has a bare minimum of objectionable points.

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeas,it is really weak ad short IMO.And something i joticed is:"Where is the reign of terror?!?!?!?!?!?!"It lasts barely 1-2 sequences....

I think that's a problem of an open world game, and the fact that 99% of players will have lots more to do in the city after the story's ending. They have to leave the story with the city in more or less the same state that it was in for most of the game, so that the conditions remain equal before and after the ending.

WraithWalker93
11-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Yes. It's a piece of crap. It's forgettable. Uninteresting characters and a story that doesn't go anywhere. It's not worth your time. If you do decide to get it, just get it for the season pass and be done with it. Rogue's story is waaaayyyy better

steveeire
11-17-2014, 04:09 PM
meh it isn't the best story ever written in gaming but I enjoyed it and thought it was fine.

rob1990312
11-17-2014, 04:10 PM
rogues story is more interesting but its way shorter and as a whole unity is a far better game than rogue

ace3001
11-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Starts off rather intriguing, both Arno and Elise are likeable characters, but then it drops the ball soon enough, and to top it all off, the ending sucks donkey butt.

WraithWalker93
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM
rouges story is more interesting but its way shorter and as a whole unity is a far better game than rogue

Way interesting than rogue? Hhahahahahahahahahahahaha, now THAT'S funneh xDD. Rogue may be short, but it did something right. It didn't manage to screw around with the formula (the engine) Unity (as it stands right now) is a broken mess, which can't be redeemed by a few patch fixes. The damage has been done to unity. People hate it, despise it, no going back.

rob1990312
11-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Way interesting than rogue? Hhahahahahahahahahahahaha, now THAT'S funneh xDD. Rogue may be short, but it did something right. It didn't manage to screw around with the formula (the engine) Unity (as it stands right now) is a broken mess, which can't be redeemed by a few patch fixes. The damage has been done to unity. People hate it, despise it, no going back.

it is not a broken mess iv been plaing it for days and have only came a cross a couple bugs if it wasnt for the story it would be the best ac game

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM

I disagree. I won't be interested in playing future ACs unless they keep and build on what makes Unity so great. There's no going back to the old game style, in my view. The new game is such a dramatic improvement in every way. The gameplay is better, the flexibility is better, there are situations that can emerge to make my game different to yours (which is almost unheard of in the AC series). It's finally delivering on what the series set out to be. Yes, it's got a ton of rough edges, but it's much more valuable to overcome those than to go back to the old formula. Shadow Of Mordor's sequel will kill this series if AC is allowed to be so stale, but Unity puts AC back at the forefront of this type of game.

WraithWalker93
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
It's a broken mess. Have you not seen thousands of people complaining how awful it is to play? Where have you been living? Under a rock? It's a messy game, which obviously needed a few more months. I LOVE rogue, it's a better game. It's kinda ironic that rogue is doing much better than unity.

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I will just leave these here:
1)The reign of terror was advertised really much the past months.For example,after watching the E3 demo,i thought that at least 30-50% of the game would take plave in the RoT.But,what happens in game?Arno is at the Versailles that time,and only comes back for one sequence,which i haven't played yet.So,the whole Robespierre,quillotine executions thing will last one sequence?Great...
2)Arno is kicked out of the assassins at one point and then he can still take part in brotherhood missions and also becomes a master assassin.Couldn't they just make a cutscene in which he is forgiven?
3)Halfway through Arno knows that his main target is Germain...Why didn't he just pursue him?Why did he kill 4 templars(rouille,marie,la touche and the other guy) instead of doing that?they offerd him almost no additional information..
4)The ending:Elise dying didn't feel right at that particular moment

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
It's a broken mess. Have you not seen thousands of people complaining how awful it is to play? Where have you been living? Under a rock? It's a messy game, which obviously needed a few more months. I LOVE rogue, it's a better game. It's kinda ironic that rogue is doing much better than unity.

Nobody's arguing that it's a botched release, Ubisoft included. Everyone knows it should have had more time, and I don't expect people who are having game-breaking bugs to continue muscling past them. Nobody owes Ubisoft anything.

However, it worked really well on my PC with all settings maxed, and I experienced only a few problems, so I've seen the game as it was meant to run - how it will be, once they fix it up - and it's a great game.

NinthFall
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
The story is just fine. The criticism to it is way too harsh and imo rushing the story is not the way it was meant to be played. Side stories and missions play big part in this open world and therefore I recommend doing them always around the main missions, because then you actually feel the atmosphere of the city and I just believe that's how it's meant to be played!

rob1990312
11-17-2014, 04:23 PM

iv been playing the game thats where iv been i have a feeling u havent played unity for yourself

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
The story is just fine. The criticism to it is way too harsh and imo rushing the story is not the way it was meant to be played. Side stories and missions play big part in this open world and therefore I recommend doing them always around the main missions, because then you actually feel the atmosphere of the city and I just believe that's how it's meant to be played!

Yeah,but it doesn't feel right,narratively wise,if you decide to solve a Nostradamus riddle,instead of going to Luis' execution to find Germain...

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I disagree. I won't be interested in playing future ACs unless they keep and build on what makes Unity so great. There's no going back to the old game style, in my view. The new game is such a dramatic improvement in every way. The gameplay is better, the flexibility is better, there are situations that can emerge to make my game different to yours (which is almost unheard of in the AC series). It's finally delivering on what the series set out to be. Yes, it's got a ton of rough edges, but it's much more valuable to overcome those than to go back to the old formula. Shadow Of Mordor's sequel will kill this series if AC is allowed to be so stale, but Unity puts AC back at the forefront of this type of game.

Unity does have improvements in that regard but the mission design doesn't accomodate it and it gets repititive. Emerging gameplay has never been the appeal of Assassin's Creed, people play it, and replay it by the way, for the story and characters, the historical details and the fun gameplay. It's never been a hard game but it used to be a fun game and that fun is not there in UNITY.

As for Shadow of Mordor, I don't think its remotely in competition with Assassin's Creed

WraithWalker93
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
iv been playing the game thats where iv been i have a feeling u havent played unity for yourself

Ohh I've played unity (rogue too) Everything about Unity just feels ... wrong? I dunna, I can't put my finger on it. There's something off about it. That ending ... jaysus >> So predictable. The story, is predictable. There's no enjoyment out of it. There's no progress to the "AC Universe" in unity. We find a sage and what? Nothing, absolutely sod all happens. What a waste, just a waste. This is by far one of the worst creed games I've ever played. At least the story in rogue did something different.

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I will just leave these here:
1)The reign of terror was advertised really much the past months.For example,after watching the E3 demo,i thought that at least 30-50% of the game would take plave in the RoT.But,what happens in game?Arno is at the Versailles that time,and only comes back for one sequence,which i haven't played yet.So,the whole Robespierre,quillotine executions thing will last one sequence?Great...

Agree.

2)Arno is kicked out of the assassins at one point and then he can still take part in brotherhood missions and also becomes a master assassin.Couldn't they just make a cutscene in which he is forgiven?

Not quite - they said they reduced his rank to "Tainted", whatever that means, and told him he was no longer part of their chapter. He doesn't become a Master Assassin as such, does he? You unlock Arno's Master robes, but they don't say how or where he got them.

3)Halfway through Arno knows that his main target is Germain...Why didn't he just pursue him?Why did he kill 4 templars(rouille,marie,la touche and the other guy) instead of doing that?they offerd him almost no additional information..

All the games do this, although that's no excuse. You could level this criticism at a lot of films, too (and people do). Sure, they could have strung that out longer, but I think they must have known that you would make the important but seemingly inconsequential Germain too conspicuous by either his ubiquity or his absence if they did not reveal his surprise when they did.

Here are two good reasons not to get mad:
1) So he goes after Germain, and then you story is extremely short, and the game benefits not at all.
2) We miss out on some of the best assassination missions in the entire game.

4)The ending: Elise dying didn't feel right at that particular moment

Yeah, that was terrible. In this series, if you're young, female and pretty and the male protag cares about you, you're going to die so that he can Have Feels (sole exception: Sofia). This is so common in AC that it sometimes happens twice in one game (Cristina/Lucy in Brotherhood, Mary/Caroline in AC4), and I'm fed up with women being accessory story vehicles. They can do better than this.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Nobody's arguing that it's a botched release, Ubisoft included. Everyone knows it should have had more time, and I don't expect people who are having game-breaking bugs to continue muscling past them. Nobody owes Ubisoft anything.

However, it worked really well on my PC with all settings maxed, and I experienced only a few problems, so I've seen the game as it was meant to run - how it will be, once they fix it up - and it's a great game.It's a great game if it ran as expected. Which it doesn't. So far, only a very small minority of PC gamers who have over the top rigs can play this with solid frame rates. Average PC gamers and pretty much all console gamers are **** out of luck in that regard. That is not what makes a great game. No matter how good the design of a game is, if it doesn't run as expected, all that's useless. You can keep on hoping for "once they fix it up", but as of now, it's a big IF rather then when.

e_3_gaming
11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
The story was terrible except Elise's dying part. I'm really glad that ***** has died. I hated her from the sequence 1.

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
3)Well,he could have tried to find germain and maybe then he escapes.So,after that he has to do the killings to find where he is.OR arno kills fermain and then elise becomes Grand Master,which would result in conflict or something
3)What bugs me mostly is the time she died,not the death itself.

The story,just leaves me to want more,but in a bad way...Also,co-op missions should have been available at a specific time,so that they could tie up to the main storyline....That way,the main story would feel bigger..

ace3001
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Guys, use spoiler tags. This is not a thread labelled with [Spoiler].

Anyway, I don't get why someone would hate Elise.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
It's a great game if it ran as expected. Which it doesn't. So far, only a very small minority of PC gamers who have over the top rigs can play this with solid frame rates. Average PC gamers and pretty much all console gamers are **** out of luck in that regard. That is not what makes a great game. No matter how good the design of a game is, if it doesn't run as expected, all that's useless. You can keep on hoping for "once they fix it up", but as of now, it's a big IF rather then when.

The fact is even when you clear up the bugs you are still left with a beautiful well-made game that is a huge disappointment. No patching-in can fix the fact that Arno is a terrible protagonist, that the story is a waste of potential, that the game is far below its earlier standards of historical fidelity and tells one lie after another, that the villains suck. That despite the promise of a gray storyline the bad guys, barring one exception, are still psycho-Templars who are less entertaining and memorable than the Borgia. You certainly don't get the same feeling or sympathy for them that you do in III. The supporting cast is also flat.

UNITY is an attempt by the Franchise to think it can do without the strong writing and stories of earlier games and go into systemic gameplay where the AC franchise is not about that. Some games need systemic gameplay and co-op and all that but in the AC games, all those features derive meaning from the protagonist and setting, they have right since AC1.

JustPlainQuirky
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes.

There's only like 3 notable characters including Arno in the game to engage with.

Pierre is barely in the game so it's really hard to care about him when he bites the dust. Especially since he dies like not even halfway in the game. Not to mention him being a traitor was hella predictable.

We only really 'bond' with Elise for two sequences and that the last two sequences in the game. And even then it's just them walking around doing missions. There's hardly any emotional connection to invest in considering they were already in love by the time the game started.

The Reign of terror does not exist in the story whatsoever. One of the final sequences is the death of the king and that's before the reign of terror even begins. All of that happens in co-op. So it hardly even feels like the french revolution.

The story is a generic revenge/redemption plot. Elise is killed off for the sake of feels. The whole hunt for the sage is for nothing because the body is hidden in the catacombs, making the game a pointless adventure.

At no point does Arno bother to find his father's killer. And that would have been an interesting turn of events if he had.

To sum it up:
-barely any characters
-the only characters we see are bland
-doesnt have reign of terror
-predictable unoriginal story
-cheap deaths for sake of feels
-missed potential with father's killer
-pointless adventure overall

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Yes.

There's only like 3 notable characters including Arno in the game to engage with.

Pierre is barely in the game so it's really hard to care about him when he bites the dust. Especially since he dies like not even halfway in the game. Not to mention him being a traitor was hella predictable.

We only really 'bond' with Elise for two sequences and that the last two sequences in the game. And even then it's just them walking around doing missions. There's hardly any emotional connection to invest in considering they were already in love by the time the game started.

The Reign of terror does not exist in the story whatsoever. One of the final sequences is the death of the king and that's before the reign of terror even begins. All of that happens in co-op. So it hardly even feels like the french revolution.

The story is a generic revenge/redemption plot. Elise is killed off for the sake of feels. The whole hunt for the sage is for nothing because the body is hidden in the catacombs, making the game a pointless adventure.

At no point does Arno bother to find his father's killer. And that would have been an interesting turn of events if he had.

To sum it up:
-barely any characters
-the only characters we see are bland
-doesnt have reign of terror
-predictable unoriginal story
-cheap deaths for sake of feels
-missed potential with father's killer
-pointless adventure overall

Well said.

Arno never trie to find his father killer.Maybe ubisoft wants to make a rogue/unity sequel,if you know what i mean.I don't know how old the killer would be at the Napoleonic wars though.Maybe 60-70 y.o.?
I would have preffered if we had an additional 1-3 sequences between sequences 12-13 about the reign of terror,instead of the coop missions...

DavisP92
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Umm... is it just me or did no one else notice that we never killed or looked for Shay at all?

edit: at least two other people have, but really that's it. Unity's story is really bad and feels like Ubisoft didn't even really work on it. I can make a better story then this. They need to take it back to AC2's level and improve on that story. The stories shouldn't be getting worse as time goes on, but better. Improve on the gameplay we have in Unity, and make a new story that captures the attention of the audience from beginning to end.

JustPlainQuirky
11-17-2014, 06:07 PM
It really feels like Ubi was like

"ok how about a redemption plot to find killer of adoptive father with templar girlfriend complications"

and called it a day.

Because that's all it is. There is no substance whatsoever.

Shahkulu101
11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I know it's partly my fault for reading a thread like this having not played the game but FFS use spoiler tags. Two major plot points have just been spoiled for me, not that I didn't see one of them coming but it's still very frustrating.

Good thing the story is supposedly crap, maybe I won't care as much. :/

rprkjj
11-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Agree.

Not quite - they said they reduced his rank to "Tainted", whatever that means, and told him he was no longer part of their chapter. He doesn't become a Master Assassin as such, does he? You unlock Arno's Master robes, but they don't say how or where he got them.

All the games do this, although that's no excuse. You could level this criticism at a lot of films, too (and people do). Sure, they could have strung that out longer, but I think they must have known that you would make the important but seemingly inconsequential Germain too conspicuous by either his ubiquity or his absence if they did not reveal his surprise when they did.

Here are two good reasons not to get mad:
1) So he goes after Germain, and then you story is extremely short, and the game benefits not at all.
2) We miss out on some of the best assassination missions in the entire game.

Yeah, that was terrible. In this series, if you're young, female and pretty and the male protag cares about you, you're going to die so that he can Have Feels (sole exception: Sofia). This is so common in AC that it sometimes happens twice in one game (Cristina/Lucy in Brotherhood, Mary/Caroline in AC4), and I'm fed up with women being accessory story vehicles. They can do better than this.

Pretty sure Caroline had a canon death before AC4, they had to include Mary's historical death, and I'm pretty sure Lucy died because the voice actor left the series. But compare that to all the male father figures/buddies who die: Mario, Giovanni, Haytham, Achilles, Blackbeard, Hornigold, Pierre, Mirabeau, and then theres Claudia, all the female homesteaders, Dobby, Maria, Sofia, and Anne Bonney who all survive. You've said this same thing on like 3 different threads.

Charles_Phipps
11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure Caroline had a canon death before AC4, they had to include Mary's historical death, and I'm pretty sure Lucy died because the voice actor left the series. But compare that to all the male father figures/buddies who die: Mario, Giovanni, Haytham, Achilles, Blackbeard, Hornigold, Pierre, Mirabeau, and then theres Claudia, all the female homesteaders, Dobby, Maria, Sofia, and Anne Bonney who all survive. You've said this same thing on like 3 different threads.

Assassins Creed used to be very good about female representation. Assassins Creed 2 had two major female Assassins, Claudia, your mother, Caterina Sforza, that thief girl Ezio romances, Rebecca, Lucy, and Lucrezia Borgia. That's more than some game FRANCHISES have.

In Brotherhood, Claudia becomes an Assassin so most of those disappearing isn't a big deal.

However, in AC 3, the number of female characters of importance is MASSIVELY reduced.

I'm okay with Black Flagg as Mary Read was a character who died in a way which wasn't just there to give Edward feels. Mary was her own woman. Still, I could have used more.

I go by this. "Every Assassins game should have more than one major female character so they're better than Smurf Village."

I'd go so far as to say three at least.

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Two threads, I think, and one of them was my own. I don't see anybody having a limit on how many times they can mention a problem, do you? Anyway, this wouldn't be as conspicuous if there were any female protags in the main games, but there aren't, so it makes it especially prominent. They're also not all pretty young men. I don't know how Caroline's death was "pre-canon" but I also don't see how that's relevant. I found out about it in the game, as did 99% of everyone else I expect, so whether it was in some book or other means nothing. It happened in the game and it was presented as a sad moment that we weren't supposed to know about.

I also think the "revenge for family murder" is generally overdone in games, but Ubisoft does it a hell of a lot. They began Watch Dogs with that one, and then killed off Clara too , so that was another twofer. The Crew does this to the player's brother , and that's a driving game! There can be better motivations and more interesting stories to tell once you decide not to fall back on the easiest, most comfortable ones.

rprkjj
11-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Assassins Creed used to be very good about female representation. Assassins Creed 2 had two major female Assassins, Claudia, your mother, Caterina Sforza, that thief girl Ezio romances, Rebecca, Lucy, and Lucrezia Borgia. That's more than some game FRANCHISES have.

In Brotherhood, Claudia becomes an Assassin so most of those disappearing isn't a big deal.

However, in AC 3, the number of female characters of importance is MASSIVELY reduced.

I'm okay with Black Flagg as Mary Read was a character who died in a way which wasn't just there to give Edward feels. Mary was her own woman. Still, I could have used more.

I go by this. "Every Assassins game should have more than one major female character so they're better than Smurf Village."

I'd go so far as to say three at least.

I'm sorry, but did you even read my post? Because it seems like you just started rambling about how you expect AC to have at least 3 major characters who happen to have ******'s per entry, as if it actually mattered. You haven't addressed the much larger amount of male father figure/buddy characters that are used just like the women you listed are.

Two threads, I think, and one of them was my own. I don't see anybody having a limit on how many times they can mention a problem, do you? Anyway, this wouldn't be as conspicuous if there were any female protags in the main games, but there aren't, so it makes it especially prominent. They're also not all pretty young men. I don't know how Caroline's death was "pre-canon" but I also don't see how that's relevant. I found out about it in the game, as did 99% of everyone else I expect, so whether it was in some book or other means nothing. It happened in the game and it was presented as a sad moment that we weren't supposed to know about.

I also think the "revenge for family murder" is generally overdone in games, but Ubisoft does it a hell of a lot. They began Watch Dogs with that one, and then killed off Clara too , so that was another twofer. The Crew does this to the player's brother , and that's a driving game! There can be better motivations and more interesting stories to tell once you decide not to fall back on the easiest, most comfortable ones.

It's called spamming and it's not allowed. Pretty sure it was 3 threads, each post parroting the same thing as if we hadn't heard the first time. Also, Caroline's death was hardly treated as a sad moment, it's probably up there with the least dramatic deaths in AC. Why? Because we already knew she died, and that's not mentioning the execution.

Also, what does them not being pretty or young have anything to do with it? Are ugly and old people not allowed to be used as emotional vehicles for the player?

Charming23
11-17-2014, 08:42 PM
After completing the story, I just have this want for even more. And BADLY. I feel very slighted. The story isn't terrible, but I find it too predictable and very bland. I guess I was hoping for more out of it, and it seems as far as Elise's death; Idk, seems out of place in a sense and like how many times have we seen this before? Also, I was thinking of starting a thread on ACU ending because I have more questions then answers and I need some clarification. I don't want to discuss it here because this thread doesn't have a SPOILER title so I don't want to ruin it for anyone. Is their a thread that discusses ACU ending?

souNdwAve89
11-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it is. I mean, there are some cool parts, but for the most part, the story and characters are forgettable. I didn't like Arno a whole lot, but I didn't hate him either. I found Elise to be likable at first, then became annoying as the story went on. I'm lucky that I didn't encounter a lot of bugs/glitches during my time playing the game so far because if I did, then I might have hated the overall game.

Namikaze_17
11-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes, it is.

Here is why:
Arno was trying too hard to be another Ezio, and his overall story and personality was so unoriginal and boring to me.

Elise was also disappointing...

First she's a one track record about revenge, and she doesn't seem to grow as a character because Arno had to have his life lesson and ****.
( She's pretty much AC2 Ezio if he didn't get Brotherhood & Revelations.)

Not to mention Ubi decided to give her the death that EVERYONE saw coming.

I didn't care about their love story as that felt very cliche and uninspiring.

And speaking of cliche and uninspiring, how about the Templars in this game? A major step back compared to the previous games.

-Mustache twirling motives? Check.
- Predictable Conspiracy? Check.
-Player has to little to no sympathy or fulfillment in killing them? Check.

( Lack of White Room speeches didn't help either -__- )

The Council wasn't in the slightest interesting, all they did was discuss politics and about their "peace" with the Templars.
(Which they never went into btw)

Pierre was great as a character, but his betrayal was so predictable, with Arno showing ZERO emotion in killing him. Just a waste.

And I'm guessing his betrayal meant nothing because no one mentioned it? Like really? Ever?

Germain was weak as a villain...
( Again? We're back at that format?)

He didn't give any reasons to care for him as a character nor did I care about the chase for him or his death. And aren't the sages like neither Assassin or Templar? Then why the **** is he a grandmaster!?
It made no sense.

They never went into the sword of Eden or its significance to overall plot and narrative...which made it pointless.

The ending was so anticlimactic with hardly any relevance to MD or the Juno plot....they especially made that clear when Bishop came and chimed about how we didn't need the sages body because it was decayed.

Then what was the point of this story!?

Okay, Rant over. :)

And some notable gripes I had:
- FR hardly impacts the story whatsoever.
-Lack of Historical Figures
-Who the hell were leaving the glyphs? Desmond? Clay? Someone new?
-What happened to the corrupted brotherhood plot?
-How did Mirabeau and De la sierre make Temporary peace?
- So I guess Arno doesn't care who killed his father?

Cactiii
11-18-2014, 05:41 AM
I personally would have to say no. I feel that the reign of terror could have certainly been a bigger part of the game, and I'm really disappointed that there was no major assassination at (sort of spoiler, I guess?) the palace of versailles, and the major historical figures were more or less just cameos; certain extremely important figures of the game figure either not at all, or only in co-op/side missions.

The story wasn't a great one by any stretch of the imagination, but everyone's way too overeager to criticize the story (and everything else about the game). The characters are all well done- Elise is great, but for me Bellec was my favorite character- When you see through his memories and get to understand the bond he had with Arno's father, everything gets even more tragic. His ultimate betrayal came as a surprise, but was believable at the same time. While it did feel a bit like Darth Vader trying to get Luke to join the dark side, the whole mission was one of my favorites, with Bellec's killing of Mirabeau really acting as an excellent representation for the revolution- an extremist, violent reaction to what he saw as Mirabeau leading the order to ruin. It was an excellent sequence which really tugged at you.

The pocketwatch motif was also a really good symbol. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about it, but if you haven't played yet/are planning to play, pay close attention to it and the situations it's used in.

As for the ending, I personally feel that it could've been handled slightly better, but it wasn't a bad ending like everyone seems to say for some reason. Elise had spent the whole story searching for Germain, and two years prior, when she had her seemingly only chance that she would ever get, Germain escaped because Arno valued Elise over redemption; When Germain starts limping off, Elise is torn. Germain had teleported away before, as we saw, and she didn't want to risk that happening again, losing what would likely be her last chance to kill Germain. She leaves Arno behind to take him down, despite knowing how likely it is that Germain, with the sword of Eden, could kill her. She values the redemption over her life, so she takes the chance to kill him. She fails, but Arno finally manages to take down Germain, despite having lost everyone who had ever supported him. He kills Germain, and doesn't rejoin the Assassin's order, as his use for it was complete, and he didn't respect the creed or value it like the others, it was only a means to an end.

One of the last scenes is of Arno looking at his pocketwatch, which has finally been fixed; he may have lost everyone, but he accomplished his goal of redeeming his father by killing the conspirator of his murder.

As a whole, I feel that the story is one of the better ones in the series. The modern day storyline was very minimal and not very satisfying, but it didn't really interrupt Arno's narrative, except for a few sections where it showed Paris in different points of history as some non-sensical glitch, which was cool albeit odd. Much more than other games, it focused on a very small group of characters; the vast majority of the time is spent with Arno and Elise, exploring their relationship, which I felt worked. The story also has a lot more room for analysis than other games. It's much more 'intelligently' written, with motifs and symbols and other artistic devices. While the story itself may not have been the best, it certainly engaged me a lot more than AC3 and AC4. Maybe it's the detail in the faces which makes each character feel more alive, but I felt a lot more attached to many of the characters.

My only real criticisms of the story are that it lacks focus on historical events (in the last third of the story, the writers seemed to notice this and began focusing a lot more on the historical events, but before that it didn't seem like the setting was affecting the narrative) and that there were a lot of samey looking white dudes in major roles. Mirabeau, Elise's father and Arno's father were all big white guys with round, shaven faces and the typical white wigs of the era, and it took me a while to learn which was which, especially since none appear on screen at the same time. As a whole, I would rate Unity's story as one of the best of the series personally.

trickster351
11-18-2014, 07:00 AM
The pocketwatch motif was also a really good symbol. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about it, but if you haven't played yet/are planning to play, pay close attention to it and the situations it's used in.
The story also has a lot more room for analysis than other games. It's much more 'intelligently' written, with motifs and symbols and other artistic devices.

Well I wasn't paying close attention to the pocket watch or other symbols when I played, so I guess I missed it, but that sounds interesting. What did you think it means? What are the other symbols you found?

SectionHades
11-18-2014, 07:44 AM
It's ****ing pathetic and pointless. Does not make the smallest difference in the modern story.

DevilGearKombat
11-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Starts off rather intriguing, both Arno and Elise are likeable characters, but then it drops the ball soon enough, and to top it all off, the ending sucks donkey butt.

Agreed - one of those stories that begun strongly but I didn't feel any better about the further I played.

BatsEendje
11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
The story súcks áss. That's all I have to say really. I mean yeah it started off great and the game is great as well but the story itself and especially the ending fúcking súck.

DevilGearKombat
11-18-2014, 12:53 PM
The ending was frigging terrible - and the whole climax was predictable as hell!

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 02:37 PM
The biggest thing that I miss is the ability to back eject and side jump. For the most part, I'm happy with what they took out/added.