PDA

View Full Version : Unity just doesn't "feel" right

Dangerzone50
11-17-2014, 12:52 PM
I have been with ac since the original in 07, got the comics, movies, books, spin of games, all the dlc, you name it... I played through rogue, and loved it. I was able to just jump right into it, the controls, the visuals, navigating and fighting, it was all a lot of fun... It took me some time to adapt to the new controls that came with the anvil next engine in ac3, but I learned to enjoy them after an hour or two. (Rogue still uses this system btw)

but when I play unity, I don't feel like an assassin. It's hard to do... Well, anything really. I don't feel very stealthy in a game built around stealth. I don't feel like I can take on anymore than a few guards at a time. I don't feel like I move very fast or even climb as well as previous assassins could. I don't feel like my arsenal is expanding as the decades roll by, it feels smaller. And I can't outrun and give guards the slip like previous assassins and Templars could. Eagle vision always manged to get more and more powerful, unity made it weaker and introduced a cool down to it. Plus the whole game has this almost indescribable "cheap plastic" feel to it. It feels like a cheap knock off of an ac game instead of a proper entry, like something made in China.

I see see things like initiates and the companion app as hindrances, not world expanding.

I give every new character in the universe a fair chance. but when they just act like ezio, Then I REALLY dislike them... In Arno's case, I actually HATE him because of this. In fact I would say I hate him more than Connor which is REALLY saying something.

When I see cheats in the menu that you can buy to pass levels because the game is too hard for some people, then I begun to question the competency of the developers. Why not just make an optional "hard mode" like every other developer.

I really want to enjoy unity but it just doesn't feel right, nothing in this game feels right... Everything feels slow, sluggish, and delayed. And I seriously doubt that the crisp controls of past assassins creed games can be patched into this nonsense. As far as I am concerned, rogue is the only true ac game this year.

And this isn't even taking all the other bs and bugs into account like psychic guards, one shot kills, getting stuck, and falling through the world.

Sure the game is pretty, so was destiny, and my copy of unity and sit and look pretty next to my copy of destiny and watch dogs on the "used games" shelf of my local GameStop.

Maybe I'll buy it back if they do manage to patch a decent control system into this game, this one is garbage and changes way too much for it to even be practical to veteran ac players. because all of my "instincts" are now wrong, and I don't have the time or patience to retrain myself to use an entirely new system. I have better things to do than die over and over.

maybe I am alone in my feelings of pure disappointment, but I'm willing to bet im not. And if you do enjoy unity, that's awesome. But ac is just too far off the tracks for me now and I actually felt the need to voice my opinion and concern

Charles_Phipps
11-17-2014, 01:27 PM
It feels like a cheap knock off of an ac game instead of a proper entry, like something made in China.

I'm actually rather dreading that because Assassins and Templars is pretty hard to translate to an Eastern cultural context. I say that as a man with a degree in Asian History.

Wolfmeister1010
11-17-2014, 01:30 PM
So what you're saying is:

1. You are upset because you can't take on an army in combat
2. You are upset because you can't climb as ridiculously fast as previous games (When you should be fine with it considering you were around since AC1..the game where you are EXTREMELY slow)
3. You are upset because you can't exploit eagle vision for eternity to make the game easier
4. You are upset because your arsenal of weapons doesn't reach a ridiculous near batman level of overpoweredness.
5. You are upset because guards can one shot you
6. You are upset because you are terrible at escaping from guards, because they are actually somewhat smart this time, thus heralding them as "psychic". Because when anyone who can god forbid best you, whenever your assassin god forbid feels like an actual human being who can't always easily slip away from the guards just like that, the enemies are obviously psychic. Bravo.

hm

You act like you are a true AC fan who has been here "since the beginning", but all I hear are the complaints of someone who purely misses the ease of previous games.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 01:38 PM
...maybe I am alone in my feelings of pure disappointment, but I'm willing to bet im not. And if you do enjoy unity, that's awesome. But ac is just too far off the tracks for me now and I actually felt the need to voice my opinion and concern

I'm disappointed too. But there's enough good stuff in Unity that I can get over my many issues with the game - enough at least to tide me over until they get some serious fixes done, which I'm still confident they will do. And I like Arno - he may have his faults, but he's charismatic, which is what every AC game needs in a main character.

As for reselling the game back to GameStop, well, that's your prerogative, but I think anyone who does that is nuts, ESPECIALLY if there's the slightest chance you might re-buy it. GameStop gives you pennies on the dollar. You're better-off selling it on eBay.

Wolfmeister1010
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
I love how people post that they are returning the game to gamestop on these forums like they think Yves is reading and trembling in shame and their getting a refund will put Ubi in its place when in reality he is probably sipping his coffee and laughing hysterically because GAMESTOP.

GAMESTOP

Dangerzone50
11-17-2014, 01:57 PM

2. You are upset because you can't climb as ridiculously fast as previous games (When you should be fine with it considering you were around since AC1..the game where you are EXTREMELY slow)
3. You are upset because you can't exploit eagle vision for eternity to make the game easier
4. You are upset because your arsenal of weapons doesn't reach a ridiculous near batman level of overpoweredness.
6. You are upset because you are terrible at escaping from guards, because they are actually somewhat smart this time, thus heralding them as "psychic". Because when anyone who can god forbid best you, whenever your assassin god forbid feels like an actual human being who can't always easily slip away from the guards just like that, the enemies are obviously psychic. Bravo.

hm

You act like you are a true AC fan who has been here "since the beginning", but all I hear are the complaints of someone who purely misses the ease of previous games.

You... Really don't get it, do you? I mean, I enjoy a challenge. But I don't play ac games for their realism. anyone who can Believe that hay can save your life in a 10 story fall, or go on to stab someone 10 times while they keep walking... Isn't in touch with reality

i play them Because, yes I do I like feeling overpowered. I enjoy that balance of challenge and skill until you get that one sword or armor that just breaks the game and makes it easy mode.

but my main gripe is just the change in controls and how everything seems so sluggish in this game.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 02:08 PM
but when I play unity, I don't feel like an assassin. It's hard to do... Well, anything really. I don't feel very stealthy in a game built around stealth. I don't feel like I can take on anymore than a few guards at a time. I don't feel like I move very fast or even climb as well as previous assassins could. I don't feel like my arsenal is expanding as the decades roll by, it feels smaller. And I can't outrun and give guards the slip like previous assassins and Templars could. Eagle vision always manged to get more and more powerful, unity made it weaker and introduced a cool down to it. Plus the whole game has this almost indescribable "cheap plastic" feel to it. It feels like a cheap knock off of an ac game instead of a proper entry, like something made in China.

Wow, these points of yours are actually the things I liked about this version - a return to some of the harder, slower, more thought required approaches to progression; where uber-gear, and mass slaying with ease (button mashing rather than timing and tactics) have come to evolve in the latest versions. Do not get me wrong, I loved BF & FC, but felt the game had cheapened itself there to appeal to the masses, which was why I was glad to see the branching off of the two approaches (Rogue/Unity) with one staying with the Pre ACIII gameplay and the other retaining the ACIII+ style of combat and play-through. Cheap Plastic, made in China - not from my perspective, but I do respect yours mate.

I see see things like initiates and the companion app as hindrances, not world expanding.

Here I have a strong opinion about this. For the AC Initiates (which I enjoyed) I could use the site to expand my AC4 (et al) game play and I did not need any other equipment besides the console that the game played on - I agreed with that and even though i used my laptop more than the console, the option was there for anyone that did not have a computer to connect to the site. As far as the new Smart Phone Companion material - that requires me to own another expensive (IMHO) piece of hardware and the rewards cannot be gained without it. I am not at all pleased with this aspect.

I give every new character in the universe a fair chance. but when they just act like Enzio, Then I REALLY dislike them... In Arno's case, I actually HATE him because of this. In fact I would say I hate him more than Connor which is REALLY saying something.

Give me a chance to kill off Connor and I will be thrilled to death. I hated him, I actually like Arno, he (as has been said) is charismatic, he is charming, and he owns his personality. He may not be Enzio, but I will take him any given day and enjoy the way he works within the story. I do not think he "acts" like Enzio, he seems unique and of a strong enough personality on his own. But that is my opinion of course.

When I see cheats in the menu that you can buy to pass levels because the game is too hard for some people, then I begun to question the competency of the developers. Why not just make an optional "hard mode" like every other developer.

It is not forced on you to use, so why be upset about it? I do think that they should have made the material you cannot get unless you use the companion app from the Helix credits though, at least then those without it could get access.

i play them Because, yes I do I like feeling overpowered. I enjoy that balance of challenge and skill until you get that one sword or armor that just breaks the game and makes it easy mode.

Though this really confused me, you like being overpowered and having all the best gear, so why are you upset that you can bypass earning it and just buy it.?. That seemed like the easiest cheat possible for players that enjoy the game in the manner that you state. Just curious I guess as it seemed rather contradictory.

I really want to enjoy unity but it just doesn't feel right, nothing in this game feels right... Everything feels slow, sluggish, and delayed. And I seriously doubt that the crisp controls of past assassins creed games can be patched into this nonsense. As far as I am concerned, rogue is the only true ac game this year.
And this isn't even taking all the other bs and bugs into account like psychic guards, one shot kills, getting stuck, and falling through the world.

Back to what I said when I started this, these are the aspects that I do enjoy and what makes it feel "right" to me. Crisp controls? They seem crisp to me, in fact they require more attention to timing than the newer material, so maybe that is why they do not seem right to you.? Anyway, just wanted to add my 2-cents to your 2-cents, that way we would almost have a wooden nickel's worth of perspectives.

Good Hunting mate!

joelsantos24
11-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I have been with ac since the original in 07, got the comics, movies, books, spin of games, all the dlc, you name it... I played through rogue, and loved it. I was able to just jump right into it, the controls, the visuals, navigating and fighting, it was all a lot of fun... It took me some time to adapt to the new controls that came with the anvil next engine in ac3, but I learned to enjoy them after an hour or two. (Rogue still uses this system btw)

I give every new character in the universe a fair chance. but when they just act like ezio, Then I REALLY dislike them... In Arno's case, I actually HATE him because of this. In fact I would say I hate him more than Connor which is REALLY saying something.

Sure the game is pretty, so was destiny, and my copy of unity and sit and look pretty next to my copy of destiny and watch dogs on the "used games" shelf of my local GameStop.

Maybe I'll buy it back if they do manage to patch a decent control system into this game, this one is garbage and changes way too much for it to even be practical to veteran ac players. because all of my "instincts" are now wrong, and I don't have the time or patience to retrain myself to use an entirely new system. I have better things to do than die over and over.

maybe I am alone in my feelings of pure disappointment, but I'm willing to bet im not. And if you do enjoy unity, that's awesome. But ac is just too far off the tracks for me now and I actually felt the need to voice my opinion and concern
I disagree with pretty much everything you've wrote. Not to mention that I don't really see what you apparently saw in your experience of the game, quite literally. If anything, the game feels more realistic, since people do actually die out of one single gunshot.

- The difference in gameplay system is due to a new developed game engine, and that's called evolution; it does feel different, but you get used to it, the same way we did so in previous installments;
- Yes, its hard to go by in Unity, no doubt, the game evolved, the AI evolved, and now guards will recognize you after previous encounters or incidents; people do actually have brains, you know, and they do have memory, so nice to see that finally acknowledged and reflected in the game;
- The stealth mode still needs improvements, granted, as well as many other aspects of the game; in parallel with all the other errors and glitches, this merely tells us that the game engine is new, and that the game wasn't ready to be released, and could in fact benefit from 3-4 additional months of development;
- Well, there is no such thing as one-man armies, so the whole Ezio vs. The World approach wasn't accurate; if you're facing 4-5 opponents at the same time, neither of them will just sit and wait for you to dispatch of one, so that the remaining can attack you, that's just idiotic and nonsensical; the new fighting system is awesome, and finally we have a challenge on our hands;
- Regarding the mobile application ant Initiates, I do agree with you; it makes no sense, for a gamer who just bought Unity for PS4, for instance, having to play a 400 Mb smartphone application, just to unlock a few items; the same goes for Initiates; in AC4, getting the Season Pass and having played the previous games, would enable you access to the outfits plus a multitude of other items, including weapons like the swords of Altaļr, Ezio, etc.; not to mention, you won't be able to reach full synchronization in Unity, unless you play those applications, which is ridiculous;
- Eagle vision does feel outdated, particularly considering it has a timer on it;
- I don't understand the cheap plastic reference, in fact, I believe the game got increasingly realistic;
- Regarding the cheats, I agree with you, but there's a good way to bypass this aspect of the game, just ignore it;
- I've already said this, but the game feels slower because it got more realistic, especially when it comes to climbing building facades; how funny was it, when we saw characters climbing through huge infrastructures as quickly and as easily as if they were climbing a set of stairs, and how pathetic was that?;
- You reference to the fact that you've returned your copy is meaningless, it sounds like a tantrum, and Ubisoft doesn't give a damn, so you might as well keep it off-the-record;

hm

Exactly.

Dev_Anj
11-17-2014, 03:09 PM
i play them Because, yes I do I like feeling overpowered. I enjoy that balance of challenge and skill

Where was this balance of challenge and skill in the previous games?

Also do try and adjust yourselves to the new control scheme. I've been hearing from a lot of people that it actually lets you have a lot of control, much more than in AC games in general where too much was automated.

Dangerzone50
11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I disagree with pretty much everything you've wrote. Not to mention that I don't really see what you apparently saw in your experience of the game, quite literally. If anything, the game feels more realistic, since people do actually die out of one single gunshot.

- The difference in gameplay system is due to a new developed game engine, and that's called evolution; it does feel different, but you get used to it, the same way we did so in previous installments;
- Yes, its hard to go by in Unity, no doubt, the game evolved, the AI evolved, and now guards will recognize you after previous encounters or incidents; people do actually have brains, you know, and they do have memory, so nice to see that finally acknowledged and reflected in the game;
- The stealth mode still needs improvements, granted, as well as many other aspects of the game; in parallel with all the other errors and glitches, this merely tells us that the game engine is new, and that the game wasn't ready to be released, and could in fact benefit from 3-4 additional months of development;
- Well, there is no such thing as one-man armies, so the whole Ezio vs. The World approach wasn't accurate; if you're facing 4-5 opponents at the same time, neither of them will just sit and wait for you to dispatch of one, so that the remaining can attack you, that's just idiotic and nonsensical; the new fighting system is awesome, and finally we have a challenge on our hands;
- Regarding the mobile application ant Initiates, I do agree with you; it makes no sense, for a gamer who just bought Unity for PS4, for instance, having to play a 400 Mb smartphone application, just to unlock a few items; the same goes for Initiates; in AC4, getting the Season Pass and having played the previous games, would enable you access to the outfits plus a multitude of other items, including weapons like the swords of Altaļr, Ezio, etc.; not to mention, you won't be able to reach full synchronization in Unity, unless you play those applications, which is ridiculous;
- Eagle vision does feel outdated, particularly considering it has a timer on it;
- I don't understand the cheap plastic reference, in fact, I believe the game got increasingly realistic;
- Regarding the cheats, I agree with you, but there's a good way to bypass this aspect of the game, just ignore it;
- I've already said this, but the game feels slower because it got more realistic, especially when it comes to climbing building facades; how funny was it, when we saw characters climbing through huge infrastructures as quickly and as easily as if they were climbing a set of stairs, and how pathetic was that?;
- You reference to the fact that you've returned your copy is meaningless, it sounds like a tantrum, and Ubisoft doesn't give a damn, so you might as well keep it off-the-record;

Exactly.

you seem to be missing the point of my argument and the ac series in general, so I'll be a bit more blunt... Ac is NOT a place for realism, I play games to escape reality. Eventually becoming that one man army is half of the charm of every previous ac game. Same with easily evading pursuers, or easily getting the drop on people... It's what made ac fun for me.

the fact that ac is now suddenly catering to an entirely different audience with no warning makes me feel betrayed... As if I didn't feel betrayed enough after the whole watch dogs debacle.

if I wanted to get beat up with swords I'll join a real life sword fighting class... If I want challenge, I'll dig out Diablo or dark souls.

But it realism and serious challenge have no place In an ac game... If they had any interest in either of those previously, they had 7 games to show it... They never did, till now.

AbiX MichMasteR
11-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Exactly.
Wrong sir... those are optional.

joelsantos24
11-17-2014, 03:42 PM
you seem to be missing the point of my argument and the ac series in general, so I'll be a bit more blunt... Ac is NOT a place for realism, I play games to escape reality. Eventually becoming that one man army is half of the charm of every previous ac game. Same with easily evading pursuers, or easily getting the drop on people... It's what made ac fun for me.

the fact that ac is now suddenly catering to an entirely different audience with no warning makes me feel betrayed... As if I didn't feel betrayed enough after the whole watch dogs debacle.

if I wanted to get beat up with swords I'll join a real life sword fighting class... If I want challenge, I'll dig out Diablo or dark souls.

But it realism and serious challenge have no place In an ac game... If they had any interest in either of those previously, they had 7 games to show it... They never did, till now.
Well, you forgot one little detail: AC is not a place for realism, in your opinion. Who gets to decide what AC is or isn't? You?

I welcome the increasing realism in the AC series, and God knows it was desperately needing some. And how can it not be fun? I'm totally addicted to Unity right now, and I've died countless times. But that's common, it happens to everyone the first time they play a game. We humans are actually meant to learn from our mistakes, you know?

And AC is not reflecting the wishes and desires of a new audience, on the contrary, in many ways Ubisoft demonstrated that they've been listening to our complaints and criticism over the years. Unity still isn't perfect, but because the game wasn't ready for release. I'd have welcomed a release postponement of a few months, as it's been happening with many games lately, so it could be released, experienced and enjoyed properly. Either way, the next update should take care of most of the known errors, which is all I ask for now. #LovingACUnity ;)

Wrong sir... those are optional.
Well, I learned this first hand, from someone who claimed to be stuck at 98-99% of synchronization state, because he didn't finish the game in the mobile application. If that's not true, then he lied to me. Moreover, he said he couldn't do so, because after 8-10 hours of gameplay in the application, he still hadn't reached 20% of it. Don't really know if all of this is true or not, either way, I'm not troubled since I'm still a long way from reaching those marks.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Ac is NOT a place for realism, I play games to escape reality...

Realism and reality are not even close to being the same thing. You do realize that, right? 'Cos it seems like you don't.

realism and serious challenge have no place In an ac game...

I'm with you on the serious challenge thing. I like the fact that AC is not too challenging (and it still isn't in Unity), but you seem to have a thing against realism. Yet how would you feel if 18th Century Paris had cellphones, atom bombs and dragons? I'm guessing you wouldn't be all that happy, because you desire more realism than that in a game that's set during the French Revolution.

Realism has its place in every game. Even fantasy games have a certain amount of realism - for example, you can't fly like Superman in Skyrim, and armor protects against weapons in a realistic way (i.e. it doesn't turn swords into bunches of flowers when they connect with it). I think you may be confusing "realism", which makes a game seem more real (but without making game characters do boring things like eat and sleep) and "reality" which no one really wants in a game (because you'd have to do boring things like cook, eat and sleep for 8 hours every day).

The trick in every game is getting the right amount of realism, so that players can willingly suspend disbelief, while avoiding getting too close to reality so that a game becomes too boring. Now if you're arguing that the game is getting too close to reality, by all means argue that, but please don't confuse realism with reality - they are not the same thing.

Dev_Anj
11-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Ac is NOT a place for realism, I play games to escape reality. Eventually becoming that one man army is half of the charm of every previous ac game. Same with easily evading pursuers, or easily getting the drop on people... It's what made ac fun for me.

Okay, AC is not a game that aims for realism, but are you trying to defend the counter heavy combat from the previous games? Also as for easily evading pursuers, you can do that in this game, you just need to have hiding spots. Easily getting the drop on people, that can be done in Unity too.

Also you're forgetting that games generally need to balance out difficulty and ease to feel like good games, and ACs in general never did that.

How about try and learn the mechanics and then post here if you can't?

I'm with you on the serious challenge thing. I like the fact that AC is not too challenging (and it still isn't in Unity), but you seem to have a thing against realism. Yet how would you feel if 18th Century Paris had cellphones, atom bombs and dragons? I'm guessing you wouldn't be all that happy, because you desire more realism than that in a game that's set during the French Revolution.

Realism has its place in every game. Even fantasy games have a certain amount of realism - for example, you can't fly like Superman in Skyrim, and armor protects against weapons in a realistic way (i.e. it doesn't turn swords into bunches of flowers when they connect with it). I think you may be confusing "realism", which makes a game seem more real (but without making game characters do boring things like eat and sleep) and "reality" which no one really wants in a game.

Wow. This is the first post where I've agreed with you. A very good one too.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow. This is the first post where I've agreed with you.

Watch out for that. You don't want it to become a habit. :)

Dangerzone50
11-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Okay, AC is not a game that aims for realism, but are you trying to defend the counter heavy combat from the previous games? Also as for easily evading pursuers, you can do that in this game, you just need to have hiding spots. Easily getting the drop on people, that can be done in Unity too.

Also you're forgetting that games generally need to balance out difficulty and ease to feel like good games, and ACs in general never did that.

How about try and learn the mechanics and then post here if you can't?

thats kinda why I made this thread, I had the same issues the whole way through the game... I was having the same hang ups 10 minutes in as I was 10 hours in, stealth not working, combat kicking my ***, Arno not going where I point, and/or not wanting to climb crap. Maybe I just suck at the game, but I never did get the hang of it. For me, it as ALL difficult. And I failed numerous times on every mission at the same places, and even had to have a friend complete a mission for me. laugh if you want... But I had a legitimately tough time with unity compared to every other game INCLUDING the bug ridden ac3 and liberation... It's only because I was determined to see the end that I endured all of it, I had no fun during the game at all, and the ending sucked.

i know this is only the opinion of one guy, but it's still valid... The series has strayed a long way from its roots now, I'm glad some are happy. But The truth is that my favorite annual series is no longer fun to me... After 7 years of sticking with it, that's a hard kick in the teeth for me to accept.

Dev_Anj
11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Looks like you need to describe your issues with the controls in detail. It definitely sounds like you have problems with the controls.

SirenianPrime
11-17-2014, 06:23 PM

You're not alone. I HATE this game. From the very beginning, Ubisoft built upon the original gameplay, and with Unity it seems to have been thrown out for this new one that clunks around, and makes me feel like a crybaby in a hood instead of an assassin. I do welcome the guards to be smarter, but this introduction to an entirely different system makes the game unplayable for me. I would appreciate a refund, but I got it from Target as a freebie. So I will just sell this pile to someone else. If this is the new standard for AC games, I'm done with the series. I'll play Rogue and previous titles, but I want NOTHING to do with this garbage.

Shahkulu101
11-17-2014, 07:02 PM
You're not alone. I HATE this game. From the very beginning, Ubisoft built upon the original gameplay, and with Unity it seems to have been thrown out for this new one that clunks around, and makes me feel like a crybaby in a hood instead of an assassin. I do welcome the guards to be smarter, but this introduction to an entirely different system makes the game unplayable for me. I would appreciate a refund, but I got it from Target as a freebie. So I will just sell this pile to someone else. If this is the new standard for AC games, I'm done with the series. I'll play Rogue and previous titles, but I want NOTHING to do with this garbage.

Oh and being able to massacre twenty guards with no effort or thought constitutes being an Assassin does it? Not using stealth, carefully planning your route or anything?...

#Logic

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2014, 07:27 PM
I can still massacre 20 guards in Unity. I just had to build up to be able to do it.

I won't deny though that if anyone of them pulls a gun, I'm toast, but if they don't I can still make the bodies hit the floor.

So in a way, I feel accomplished because I worked my way up to that ability and skill.

Wolfmeister1010
11-17-2014, 07:28 PM
>Says I don't get it
>Proves my point in next sentence.

If you like being overpowered then..well..thats my point.

This whole thread confirms my earlier thread btw. This game has separated the fan base into two parts: one that is more hardcore, enjoys the slower paced and difficult murder mystery and enigma challenges, enjoys the difficult combat.

And another which wants the game to be a "vacation". An escape from reality. Basically, they don't want to use effort.

Either way, the amount of irony I see in so many people's arguments (Not including OP, his/her argument is a whole different level) is HUGE.

>Complain that AC games are copy paste and piss poor easy
>Complain that new game isn't similar enough to past games and is too difficult

This is the first game where I literally can NOT beat certain guards until I develop my skills and "level up". In AC4 they said the same thing about being mowed down by certain ships if you enter a certain difficult area too soon. but you could always beat them by spamming the mortars and stay far away. This game actually makes me wary when exploring new districts.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Either way, the amount of irony I see in so many people's arguments (Not including OP, his/her argument is a whole different level) is HUGE.

This is the first game where I literally can NOT beat certain guards until I develop my skills and "level up". In AC4 they said the same thing about being mowed down by certain ships if you enter a certain difficult area too soon. but you could always beat them by spamming the mortars and stay far away. This game actually makes me wary when exploring new districts.

I SO agree with you mate, and welcomed what they did with this one - it was a step back, in the right direction. For the first time in a while now with the AC series, I actually have to plan, create tactics and am wary of just strolling into new places.

Faustiis
11-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Last night i did the mission where u assassinate the guy in the confessional booth (the one seen in the black box mission trailer). This was after i spent approximately 45 minutes determinately unlocking the uplay rewarded Golden Bec de Corbin. I had to attempt logging in to Uplay 10 to 15 times. Even after it showed i "owned it" i couldn't equip it until i restarted my ps4.

Back to the broken mission...
I more or less took the route i had seen in the trailer, admittedly with less cinematic continuity and more collateral blood spilling. I completed the two side quests of stealing the key and eavesdropping on the conspirators. When i got into the confessional booth with the target, NOTHING happened. I spent twenty minutes trying different unbugging tactics while the guy in the confessional booth (i could see him there using eagle vision) complained about waiting for the other guy. Eventually i got so frustrated i tried to kill everyone in the building before i shut down the ps4 and fell into a fitful sleep.

Talk about a game not "feeling right"...

joelsantos24
11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I can still massacre 20 guards in Unity. I just had to build up to be able to do it.

I won't deny though that if anyone of them pulls a gun, I'm toast, but if they don't I can still make the bodies hit the floor.

So in a way, I feel accomplished because I worked my way up to that ability and skill.
Then, I don't understand what the problem is? The standard created with the Ezio trilogy, mostly, was everything except accurate. Do you think an Assassin would linger around, after just hitting a lethal blow on an important political target? For the sake of what, exactly? Assassins must be utterly inconspicuous, which means they must pass unnoticed, which means that carrying a whole suit of armor just stands in the way of that precisely, which in turn is also tied to the need to climb building facades, and of course, carrying a full armor would be blatantly counterproductive in that regard. Still, Ezio managed to jump off buildings and run as fas as the Borgia guards specialized in sprinting, for instance, and all that while carrying a full armor suit. See any logic or reason in that? Being as fast as humanly possible would be essential for an Assassin, and Assassins are not and were not warriors, their purpose was to assassinate targets and just escape as fast as possible, since they were neither willing or able (equipped) to stay around and try to kill everyone else.

The guard response level in Unity is much more accurate now, and I'm not saying it's perfect, because we all know the game needs some improvements. And the gameplay system evolved, but after a few hours I'd already mastered it. It's very hard for me to believe anyone else would have problems doing so.

>Says I don't get it
>Proves my point in next sentence.

If you like being overpowered then..well..thats my point.

This whole thread confirms my earlier thread btw. This game has separated the fan base into two parts: one that is more hardcore, enjoys the slower paced and difficult murder mystery and enigma challenges, enjoys the difficult combat.

And another which wants the game to be a "vacation". An escape from reality. Basically, they don't want to use effort.

Totally agree. :cool:

Last night i did the mission where u assassinate the guy in the confessional booth (the one seen in the black box mission trailer). This was after i spent approximately 45 minutes determinately unlocking the uplay rewarded Golden Bec de Corbin. I had to attempt logging in to Uplay 10 to 15 times. Even after it showed i "owned it" i couldn't equip it until i restarted my ps4.

Back to the broken mission...
I more or less took the route i had seen in the trailer, admittedly with less cinematic continuity and more collateral blood spilling. I completed the two side quests of stealing the key and eavesdropping on the conspirators. When i got into the confessional booth with the target, NOTHING happened. I spent twenty minutes trying different unbugging tactics while the guy in the confessional booth (i could see him there using eagle vision) complained about waiting for the other guy. Eventually i got so frustrated i tried to kill everyone in the building before i shut down the ps4 and fell into a fitful sleep.

Talk about a game not "feeling right"...
Did you kill the conspirator, the one supposed to go to the confessional? In the mission, you're supposed to take his place, provided you want to do it exactly as the developer did in the gameplay trailer, but that can't actually happen if he's still breathing.

ColdBloodedVet
11-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Ūnity feels good to me. I've figuredout how to do the controlled decent almost as good as the way it was shown at E3..almost.. The stealth is still a bit off but the combat is what I have been waiting for. Last night I made it to the slums and the "red" guards are in groups of 4 and not 2. I have yet to pick a fight with them like I was doing in the beginning of the game.

As far as the companion app goes, I feel like if I didn't have as much free time at work then I wouldn't even bother. And with Initiates, if I couldn't use my Xbox to go there from the game I wouldn't consider doing it either. Kinda wish the extra content was in game or even the season pass. I don't really like having my atm twisted into playing the app and visiting initiates.

Oh I also did that first confessional mission but I did it the way the girl did the day of the Ubisoft live stream on twitch. It went perfect. I too have been playing AC since the days of riding the horse in the desert with Altair and I can say that this is one of my favorite AC games. Dont hey me wrong, it's not perfect but it's definitely some steps in the right direction.

Arno is cool. I like him way better than Ezio. I kinda feel like Ubi was trying to find and Ezio replacement which is fine with me because honestly I only liked old man Ezio from Embers. (Dont shoot me)

My advice to anybody who says the new controls sūck is to learn how to play the game. It takes a little more than banging the X button to attack while doing it in the infinite glow of eagle vision. By the way I like the new eagle vision too. All these new things work together to help you become an Assassin and not Master Chief

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Then, I don't understand what the problem is? The standard created with the Ezio trilogy, mostly, was everything except accurate. Do you think an Assassin would linger around, after just hitting a lethal blow on an important political target? For the sake of what, exactly? Assassins must be utterly inconspicuous, which means they must pass unnoticed, which means that carrying a whole suit of armor just stands in the way of that precisely, which in turn is also tied to the need to climb building facades, and of course, carrying a full armor would be blatantly counterproductive in that regard. Still, Ezio managed to jump off buildings and run as fas as the Borgia guards specialized in sprinting, for instance, and all that while carrying a full armor suit. See any logic or reason in that? Being as fast as humanly possible would be essential for an Assassin, and Assassins are not and were not warriors, their purpose was to assassinate targets and just escape as fast as possible, since they were neither willing or able (equipped) to stay around and try to kill everyone else.

The guard response level in Unity is much more accurate now, and I'm not saying it's perfect, because we all know the game needs some improvements. And the gameplay system evolved, but after a few hours I'd already mastered it. It's very hard for me to believe anyone else would have problems doing so.

I don't understand how you think I have a problem here? I'm confused.

I have no issue with Unity except I'd like to be able to disarm or at least pick up weapons off the ground, gentle push, and uh... I think that's it really.

So, what are you getting at?

Dangerzone50
11-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Looks like you need to describe your issues with the controls in detail. It definitely sounds like you have problems with the controls.

like I said, 9 times out of 10 I could not do anything... I push a button, the game says "**** you". Hide behind something, get spotted, die. Sneak into the next room, get spotted through a wall, die. Get into a fight, try to parry/doge, die. Guy gulls a gun, try to roll, die. Go hunting for collectables, die. Try to run away from a fight, Arno gets stuck staring at a wall, die. Try to climb anything, Arno stares at it. Try to assassinate, get spotted, die. blue chests need the companion to app, I download it, and Still have no idea how to open them with it. Gold chests need initiates, of which I am level 23 from hours of challenges during ac3, 4, fc, and lib, and I had every daily challenge from when they offered them, now it says I am level 1 with no xp.

i just never felt in control of Arno at all. it felt like I was always rolling the dice, and once in a while Lady Luck would smile and he would actually do what I wanted. But these moments always came after a half dozen identical failures so they never felt very satisfying... I still felt like a cat running on ice, the worst shot in Paris, and a child flailing a sword. it felt like a RNG was playing my game, not me.

Also no, it's not my controller, I checked it. Plus, I played all of rogue with my PS4 controller and had zero issues in 60 hours with controlling shay. I pushed buttons, things happened, and I loved it.

in unity, everything was a time consuming chain of failures for me... Maybe I just suck, but its still possible to enjoy a game while sucking at it if you get used to it or learn something from that failure. But I never did get used to it, none of those defeats felt legit to me. in every case it highlighted a flaw in the games logic or controls, and in every case it reminded me why the old games were better... They were forgiving, and was actually in control.

Dev_Anj
11-18-2014, 01:32 AM
That wasn't a helpful description at all, it just sounds like you were trying to use controls from the older games and unsurprisingly, it didn't work. I know the controls for stealth and combat are sluggish, but otherwise they work fine. Looks like you need to figure out how the control system works.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 01:36 AM
That wasn't a helpful description at all, it just sounds like you were trying to use controls from the older games and unsurprisingly, it didn't work. I know the controls for stealth and combat are sluggish, but otherwise they work fine. Looks like you need to figure out how the control system works.

Agreed. I'm nearly 50 hours in and I *still* sometimes press Y to activate a smoke bomb instead of R shoulder.

DynaRider
11-18-2014, 03:48 AM
Keep in mind that there have been 6 previous versions of Assassin's Creed and they have been wildly popular. Fairly easy combat was a feature of all of the series and the main thrust was solving some puzzles, exploring villages, cities and open country in a quest to kill Templars. Sure there were funny glitches with people stuck in walls, weapons floating in air and all manner of unlikely happenings. But through it all the outstanding, historically accurate graphics, realistic weather, and ever more realistic water kept people coming back and enticed new assassins to join up in the fight. Did the game's popularity suffer because of the easy combat? Doesn't look like it. I've been blessed, or cursed with a bad case of vertigo and I have to admit that climbing some of those towers and scaling the heights in buildings gave me the "willies". I personally enjoyed the games in part due to the ease and de-emphasis on combat and concentrating on what I thought an assassin would be doing. Any assassin worth his weight would probably avoid combat as much as possible and depend on stealth and ranged weapons to deal with his quarry.

The "death level" for Arno is in my opinion way too high and happening into a situation with no possible means of winning and having to endure being killed over and over and over is a large irritant in Unity. Throwing in all the on line and co-op stuff is another major distraction. If I want difficult combat and nonstop furious action I can buy first person shooters and some others but I don't like the high stress style of play. It's just one of the reasons I've enjoyed Assassin's Creed. The relaxed game play, not dying very much, enjoying exploring and finding ways to track your quarry in buildings, catacombs and other places is what kept me hooked on all the series. Ubi has introduced a new, harder level of combat into Unity and I'm finding that to be a turn off. I'd like to see Ubi return to the style of game and game play that has made the series so popular. I'm still playing Unity and have no intention of returning it but a lot of the fun and enjoyment factor seems to be missing for me.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2014, 04:09 AM
The "death level" for Arno is in my opinion way too high and happening into a situation with no possible means of winning and having to endure being killed over and over and over is a large irritant in Unity. Throwing in all the on line and co-op stuff is another major distraction. If I want difficult combat and nonstop furious action I can buy first person shooters and some others but I don't like the high stress style of play. It's just one of the reasons I've enjoyed Assassin's Creed. The relaxed game play, not dying very much, enjoying exploring and finding ways to track your quarry in buildings, catacombs and other places is what kept me hooked on all the series. Ubi has introduced a new, harder level of combat into Unity and I'm finding that to be a turn off. I'd like to see Ubi return to the style of game and game play that has made the series so popular. I'm still playing Unity and have no intention of returning it but a lot of the fun and enjoyment factor seems to be missing for me.

You're not supposed to stand your ground as often, you're supposed to flee, hence the new parkour mechanics.

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 04:09 AM
I think it's important to remember that no game is specifically made for one of its own individual players. If Unity doesn't "feel right" to you, that's fine- but maybe the error is on your own end.

Assassin_M
11-18-2014, 04:11 AM
Please please please please please don't listen to people whining about difficulty, please don't, please don't, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

My_Treehawk
11-18-2014, 04:14 AM
IMHO I think they provided for both schools of play, Unity for those that missed the more disciplined, tactical approach to the combat, and Rogue for those that enjoyed the click and kill method. I actually appreciated having this done and was glad to see it, and yes, after I finish Unity I will get and play Rogue.

It took some time to understand how to handle the groups of opponents in this one - by groups I mean more than 3 - and I had to acquire both the skills and the gear to survive. Now, with those two in hand, and planning out stealthy approaches and tactics that use all the assassin skills I can muster, I hardly ever die anymore. That was not the case in the beginning, not when I was learning the combat skills, and not when I had the gear beneath the level of my adversaries. But once gained, and if you take the time to scope out the area, watch the AI move and plan ahead, you can be even more stealthy than I think I ever could in any of the other versions.

I understand that each person has things they like or don't like, and there is a definite learning curve for this one - much more so than in the ACIII and later games. I am a stealth based player, I avoid combat as much as I can, and while I can see where some people are having a hard time with it, the game does provide for you to tackle it without the emphasis being as heavy as you might think. My advice is slow down, only take on what is at or below your level, get the Villa completed so you can purchase better gear faster, and then spend time looking at all the possible angles you might take as you enter into the various missions - the obvious one is usually not the stealthy one.

Dangerzone50
11-18-2014, 04:37 AM

when I played, and I actually hit the right buttons on time, it felt like there was a 50% chance of the game actually doing what I wanted. And the rest of the time my input would be ignored. He would just stand there, not do what I commanded, get detected, not block, not assassinate, not climb the building all the way, etc... It always felt like I was fighting the game to do the most basic of tasks.

Then to top it off, no it never did click for me, I was always pressing the wrong buttons... When I explored to upgrade my character, I was always dying. every lock was a higher skill than I had, I could not finish half the missions. I was up against a brick wall and had to have a friend help me out of it just so I could progress. Challenge is one thing, but I just had a way tougher time of it then I should of had. The game was almost unplayable.

also yes, I was one of those players who preferred to murder my way through every ac game. I solved every problem with a sword, I enjoied that. I'm happy they added to the stealth and free run systems, but don't require me to use them. The whole Time I felt like I was playing how someone else wated me to play, not like I was taking on situations in my own way. It was always option a or b, and neither let me fight my way in or out.

OrangeFret
11-18-2014, 04:47 AM
OP couldn't have said it any better. The controls on this game are unbelievably sluggish. I can't move around with any confidence in tough situations, and fighting more than two guards at a time is suicide.

joelsantos24
11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't understand how you think I have a problem here? I'm confused.

I have no issue with Unity except I'd like to be able to disarm or at least pick up weapons off the ground, gentle push, and uh... I think that's it really.

So, what are you getting at?
I apologize, it was my confusion. ;)

Keep in mind that there have been 6 previous versions of Assassin's Creed and they have been wildly popular. Fairly easy combat was a feature of all of the series and the main thrust was solving some puzzles, exploring villages, cities and open country in a quest to kill Templars. Sure there were funny glitches with people stuck in walls, weapons floating in air and all manner of unlikely happenings. But through it all the outstanding, historically accurate graphics, realistic weather, and ever more realistic water kept people coming back and enticed new assassins to join up in the fight. Did the game's popularity suffer because of the easy combat? Doesn't look like it. I've been blessed, or cursed with a bad case of vertigo and I have to admit that climbing some of those towers and scaling the heights in buildings gave me the "willies". I personally enjoyed the games in part due to the ease and de-emphasis on combat and concentrating on what I thought an assassin would be doing. Any assassin worth his weight would probably avoid combat as much as possible and depend on stealth and ranged weapons to deal with his quarry.

Exactly, but an Assassin would avoid, at all costs, combat with multi-opponents, not just because it'd be more productive to actually move in the shadows, but also because he wouldn't be prepared and equipped to deal with that kind of situation. The best-suited stealth equipment or gear in Unity, are the Sans-Culottes sets. Have you actually noticed the level of protection they provides? It basically provides zero protection. If you want to blend in, you have to look the part, and the Sans-Culotte gear does that phenomenally, but that will also involve eliminating all kinds of special and heavy attack and protection gear. In other words, you're not actually meant to linger and fight against 5-10 opponents, because they'd crush you. And finally, Unity respects that unavoidable fact, and if you favor either the stealth or the range styles, and are therefore equipped accordingly, you have to accept that you need to kill your target and just run, because if you linger, you'll most likely die.

I've died countless times, and I still keep going, because for the first time it's really challenging and addictive. As @MnemonicSyntax said, you're not really meant to linger on and fight every single guard and opponent. Especially if you favor the range or stealth styles. Find your way to the target on stealth mode, kill the target, throw a few smoke bombs and just run.

when I played, and I actually hit the right buttons on time, it felt like there was a 50% chance of the game actually doing what I wanted. And the rest of the time my input would be ignored. He would just stand there, not do what I commanded, get detected, not block, not assassinate, not climb the building all the way, etc... It always felt like I was fighting the game to do the most basic of tasks.

Then to top it off, no it never did click for me, I was always pressing the wrong buttons... When I explored to upgrade my character, I was always dying. every lock was a higher skill than I had, I could not finish half the missions. I was up against a brick wall and had to have a friend help me out of it just so I could progress. Challenge is one thing, but I just had a way tougher time of it then I should of had. The game was almost unplayable.

also yes, I was one of those players who preferred to murder my way through every ac game. I solved every problem with a sword, I enjoied that. I'm happy they added to the stealth and free run systems, but don't require me to use them. The whole Time I felt like I was playing how someone else wated me to play, not like I was taking on situations in my own way. It was always option a or b, and neither let me fight my way in or out.
Well, that just doesn't happen with me, the controls look fine. If you can't complete basic missions, you won't evolve, and if you can't evolve, you won't be able or prepared to tackle even more difficult missions and opponents. That's simple.

I've told you before, there is no such thing as a one-man army. That's blatantly inaccurate, idiotic and non-sensical. In real life, if an Assassin fought against 5-10 better equipped opponents, he'd be crushed. That's why they didn't do so, they sticked to the shadows. Unity is more realistic now, and it reflects the behavior and response of real guards more accurately. If you don't like that, it's your prerogative to do so. No one has the right to tell you you're wrong, but please don't blame the game for reflecting a more accurate and realistic context.

DevilGearKombat
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
This was the worst Assassin's Creed game, and by far the black sheep of the series - and I hate to be negative on my first post in this entire website, and not every single person should agree, but this was flat out dull. I guess I didn't hate the game, but it's difficult for me to suppress my thoughts on the game, considering it failed to be on par with the standard set with the other games in the series.

I've been a huge Assassin's Creed fan, been playing since the original, and have enjoyed everything the franchise has let out - I've completed the game's, purchased DLCs, the novels and the comic books, and it'd be pure truth to be able to say heck yeah, this is my favorite franchise, and my favorite in trasmedia, and Unity simply wasn't enough. I believe I'll grow to like Unity more, though. I liked Rogue and enjoyed it more than Unity.

Either way - I'm replaying every single Assassin's Creed, and have already begun today with the Original AC, so... um... yeah!

joelsantos24
11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
I guess that, like someone said before, if Unity doesn't appease or satisfy you, no AC ever will.

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I guess that, like someone said before, if Unity doesn't appease or satisfy you, no AC ever will.

Or, if Unity doesn't appease or satisfy you, you need to get better gear.

Dangerzone50
11-18-2014, 06:31 PM

Every ac game has appeased and satisfied me UNTIL unity came out... Even AC3 and liberation had their enjoyable moments, at least I could play them how I wanted.

And unity takes about 10 major steps backward in the series. Know the last game that only had one major game map? Brotherhood. Know the last game that did not offer the hidden blade as a combat weapon? AC 1. Know the last game that made you run from almost every fight. The answer, none of them.

Also, anyone saying that an assassin is not a one man army clearly didn't pay any attention to the last missions in AC 1, AC 2, or ACB... You also must have skipped the opening cutscenes of revelation, or just been sleeping during the mission in AC 3 when Connor literally took on an army and won.

Sense and logic be damned, being a one man army is in the very DNA of assassins creed... If I want to fight my way through this game, I should be able to. If I want to go stealth and finish without being detected even once, I should be able to. Or if I want to play the whole game striking silently from shadows, I should be able to.... But the game was far too clunky for me to accomplish any of these.

TwentyGlyphs
11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Yeah, the controls in Unity feel sluggish and unresponsive. Assassin's Creed has generally always felt rather sluggish to respond, but this one feels a little worse. Especially stealth. Even in the first Arkham game, holding the stealth button and entering cover, which uses the same controls as Unity, feels so much smoother. Moving in stealth felt faster in Arkham too. It just feels too clunky in Unity.

It's almost like because the stealth button can be either pressed or held that the system has to wait an extra 100 milliseconds to determine what you meant to do, and sometimes it does neither. I'm seeing the same thing with the staggering strike move in combat. Pressing X on PS4 dodges, but holding does the staggering strike move. Many, many times I've held the button to do a staggering strike and had the game do nothing, not even the dodge. It usually happens right after some other combat move.

And I appreciate the increased difficulty, but at times it's just frustrating, not challenging. Guards aren't shown on the mini-map until you turn on Eagle Vision, so I often find myself assassinating one or two trying to be stealthy and getting spotted by another passing group out of my field of vision. Or I'll think I'm stealthily eliminating a rooftop guard only to get spotted by another one. I don't want to turn on Eagle Vision constantly and look around to plan things every single time. In the past I could always glance at the mini-map quickly to see if other guards were around. Black Flag made it even nicer by showing me which direction they were looking on the mini-map. In Unity, I have to constantly turn it on to look for stuff, and it doesn't last very long despite my gear boosts. On top of that, it's annoying that the red outline that sticks around from it interferes with me being able to see if guards are outlined in red to know if my double assassination move will work.