PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo's

No601_Zulu
04-30-2004, 07:21 AM
~S~ Guys

Why wont a torpedo sink a ship??

Just lately I have got into building missions that contains IL-2's carrying Torpedo's in some very interesting maritime scenario's. However what I find very strange is that a single torpeodo will not sink a dry cargo ship or a tanker, yet a salvo of rockets from a P47 will. I'm not to sure about the size of the rockets but I bet thay carry 6 X 60lb warheads, thats = to 360lbs or 163kgs. I would have thought that a single torpedo strike under the waterline would have had a catastrophic effect on a Fuel Tanker, but it seems to have no effect at all and the ship just sails on.

For extra info IL-2 is flying at 200kph and 50 meters altitude when released, the torpedo runs straight, hits amidships with a huge explosion.

No601_Zulu
04-30-2004, 07:21 AM
~S~ Guys

Why wont a torpedo sink a ship??

Just lately I have got into building missions that contains IL-2's carrying Torpedo's in some very interesting maritime scenario's. However what I find very strange is that a single torpeodo will not sink a dry cargo ship or a tanker, yet a salvo of rockets from a P47 will. I'm not to sure about the size of the rockets but I bet thay carry 6 X 60lb warheads, thats = to 360lbs or 163kgs. I would have thought that a single torpedo strike under the waterline would have had a catastrophic effect on a Fuel Tanker, but it seems to have no effect at all and the ship just sails on.

For extra info IL-2 is flying at 200kph and 50 meters altitude when released, the torpedo runs straight, hits amidships with a huge explosion.

Thud-Vols
04-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Nice comparison. Although I havn't tried the rockets, I know it's taking us 3 torpedos in an IL-2 to sink one ship.

http://ivedog.com/warbirds/assets/images/banners/fadingplanes.gif
http://www.the-volunteers.com/

Prof.Wizard
04-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope they fix it together with more realism on the whole procedure of launching successfully a torpedo attack, in other words, taking into consideration also height and speed.

-----------------------------
http://www.mihailidis.com/images/WizardSig.gif
Me-163's HWK 109-509 Rocket Engine
http://www.mihailidis.com/images/HWK109509.jpg

whitetornado_1
04-30-2004, 08:40 PM
The RAF Misquito and Typhoon pilots would use
Armor piercing AT rockets with a mixture of HE
ones.The pilot would shoot just under water line level to pierce it.Alot of ships didnt make it home because of this tactic.Rockets were surprisingly effect.

439th_Wtornado

RCAF 439th ''Fangs of death''SABRE TOOTH TIGER
Combat support Sq.

Zeus-cat
04-30-2004, 09:38 PM
For my upcoming IL-2T campaign, I tested the number of torpedoes required to sink a ship using an IL-2. Here are my results:

Ship - Torpedoes needed to Sink - (Smoking)
Russian Torpedo Boat G-5 1 (n/a)
Russian Hunter MO-4 2 (n/a)
Russian Armored Boat BBK-1/1942 1 (n/a)
Russian Armored Boat BBK-1/1943 1 (n/a)
Russian Destroyer Type 7 3 (n/a)
Russian Destroyer Type 7/1944 3 (n/a)
Russian 'Aurora' (Cruiser) 2-4 (3)Russian 'Marat' (Battleship) 4-6 (3-5)
Russian 'Kirov' (Light Cruiser) 5 (3)
Russian 'Tashkent' (Destroyer) 2 (n/a)
Russian Trawler (Transport) 1 (n/a)
Russian Dry Cargo Ship 2-3 (1)
Russian Liquid Cargo Carrier 4 (1)
Russian Submarine 'Tshuka' 1 (n/a)
Italian torpedo boat MAS 501 1 (n/a)
German torpedo boat S-80 1 (n/a)
German MFP Type I 1 (n/a)
German MFP Type II 1 (n/a)
Roman. "Amiral Murgesku" 2 (n/a)
German M-boat 2 (n/a)
German 'Niobe' (AA Cruiser) 3 (n/a)
German "Illmarine" 6 (4)
German "Vainamoinen" 5 (4)
Tirpitz 10 (7)
German Type IIB Submarine 1 (n/a)
German Type VIIC Submarine 2 (1)

Keep in mind that bow and stern hits have little effect on the ship being attacked. Hits amidships are the best hits.

Look for my 29 mission IL-2T campaign coming soon!

Zeus-cat

VMF513_Sandman
04-30-2004, 10:03 PM
the 111 carries a pair of torpedoes, and it seems its the bigger ships that needs at least 3 run-in's to sink em when the rest only needs 1 run. u get a german aaa ship smokin reeeeeeeal good by dive bombing them with 3x350kg fab bombs from the p-63, at times sinkin it on the spot. just aim about 10 degrees above the ship and come in at practically a 90 degree dive.....bye bye ship

No601_Zulu
05-01-2004, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitetornado_1:
The RAF Misquito and Typhoon pilots would use
Armor piercing AT rockets with a mixture of HE
ones.The pilot would shoot just under water line level to pierce it.Alot of ships didnt make it home because of this tactic.Rockets were surprisingly effect.

439th_Wtornado

RCAF 439th ''Fangs of death''SABRE TOOTH TIGER
Combat support Sq.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, I have read an account by former members of 603 squadron based in the Med that flew Beaufighters. A salvo of 8 60lbHE RP's was the equivelent of one shell from a 6" cruiser gun, packed quite a punch I recon. The big problem was that any misses would explode when the rocket hits the water. Against small ships, that became their main target, the RP of choice was the 25lb AP rocket as it did not explode on impact, just 2 was enough to sink a small ship as if the hit was below the waterline, and the rockets had a clear passage they would punch straight through the hull leaving 4 nice big holes.

I have also tested out an He111 carrying 2 torpedo's just a pair is enough to sink a tanker.

It's so strange how AI attack. I set them at 50 meters Alt and airspeed of 200-250. As they reach the target waypoint they climb to some crazy altitude then lob the torpedo at the target. I reality the torpedo if dropped from that height would have broken up on impact with the water.

Zulu

Continuing a campaign to bring the Typhoon/Tempest, Mosquito and Beaufighter to IL-2 FB AEP....Please.

VMF513_Sandman
05-01-2004, 09:55 AM
the japanese were masters in the art of torpedo attacks. remember how they said that pearl harbor would have been too shallow to use torpedoes? they fitted wooden fins on the fish and they devastated pearl more with torpedoes than with the dive/heavy bombers. we were fortunate enought that the carriers wasnt in port or in the area during the 2 waves. if the japs would have launched a 3rd wave, the war might have gone on a bit longer than it did. they didnt hit the fuel storage areas in either wave, and if i remember right, a couple of carriers were coming into port not long after the 2nd wave vanished. if they had hit the carriers, we would have really been in for a rough time. that was their primary target.

Prof.Wizard
05-01-2004, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Look for my 29 mission IL-2T campaign coming soon!

Zeus-cat<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow! A IL-2T campaign, that would be really interesting Zeus-cat, looking forward to it!

-----------------------------
http://www.mihailidis.com/images/WizardSig.gif
Me-163's HWK 109-509 Rocket Engine
http://www.mihailidis.com/images/HWK109509.jpg