PDA

View Full Version : How should assassin creed move forward?

Vortex189
11-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Should Assassins Creed keep progressing in history or go back to the past?

kingtwofer
11-16-2014, 11:12 PM
I would personally like to see an AC game cover ww2 to the end of the cold war!! Including Vietnam/bay of pigs. You know stuff like that.

Sejdovic11
11-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Good step forward would be... Oh, playable game at day 1 maybe? But I think that this is too much for Ubisoft.

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Oh you mean time period?

I don't care. Any time period works as long as the writing is good and gameplay is fun.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Thirty Years War.

We haven't done Germany or Sweden yet.

Gustavus Adolphus is like the PERFECT guy to kill when you're an Assassin.

Namikaze_17
11-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Any time period works as long as the writing is good and gameplay is fun.

This.

But I personally want three games about Bishop. :p. :rolleyes:

Minsooky
11-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Go back to the past. I really don't like any modern settings at all when it comes to AC games. Besides if I want to play modern AC I'll just play Watch Doge...

Fatal-Feit
11-17-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't care about the time period. Whether its further into the future, or the past, I just want a good and interesting setting that the developers feel worth sharing. During the announcement of AC:3, I was super disappointed because I wasn't a fan of American history (cuz schoolz), but I ended up being completely hooked in both the historical figures, setting, etc. I just learned to accept it and be excited. :)

DavisP92
11-17-2014, 01:55 AM
Honestly, wherever they go it won't be great unless they take their time with it. But They can only go to India 18th century before they start going back in time. Personally I prefer the bow and arrow so I'd like to see them go back to that era. No more guns, bows, swords, daggers, more customization. China would be cool, Egypt as well.

UniteUnderPower
11-17-2014, 02:09 AM
They should hop back and forth between time periods in the games. One game could be in the 1700's and the other could be in the 1200's. They just need to make sure everything that they come out with is a polished project after what happened with Unity (I loved Unity, but much of it was very unpolished and I just encountered my first game-breaking bug recently).

The next time period/setting I think they should tackle? Ancient Egypt during the time of pharaohs and riches. That would provide for a drastically different experience in Assassins Creed and could possibly be the breath of fresh air the series needs. I loved Paris, but a lot of it still felt kind of "samey".

WestLil0
11-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Definitely backwards. There's a LOT of world history that can provide an excellent environment and story telling. From Japan's Samurais and feudal system to Spain's & Britain's monarchies, and so much more. I like the French history and I think the expansive "world" of Paris is great in Unity, but what I miss the most with Unity is a connection/rapport with the main character. At least with Ezio we knew who he was, his family, how & why he became an assassin, etc. With Enzo, I have no idea yet who his parents were or why he was chosen to be who he is. Even with AC Blackflag I enjoyed the naval battles and various locations in the Caribbean and could recognize a reason for the pirate world to exist. But so far in Unity, that seems a bland aspect of the game. Anyways, backwards is my answer!

steveeire
11-17-2014, 02:22 AM
You need a choice for both, I think there is room to go both ways.

Also MD assassin game needs to happen.

GoldenBoy9999
11-17-2014, 02:38 AM
I've been a contender of moving the AC series forward in time as much as possible for a big bit of my AC fandom. There are a few reasons for this. First of all, it makes logical sense. the farther in history, the more advanced the graphics, controls, combat, and overall gameplay. This isn't the main reason though.

The number one reason I want the AC franchise to go forward is the availability of awesome technology. I like to think of assassins as members of a secret group with access to advanced technology. This is proven in a few ways. In AC1 we had very little technology at our disposal. Our equipment consisted of basic weaponry such as throwing knives and swords. Throughout the Ezio trilogy more tech was introduced, AC2 with the hidden gun(at a time when very little guns existed), ACB with the crossbow and many Leonardo machines such as the tank, ACR with the increased prevalence of parachutes and the hookblade (sounds a lot like Just Cause actually...), AC3 with flintlock rifles, the pivot blade, and naval warfare. These are the things that bring me back to this series year after year.

There are a few exceptions though. It seems that the tech of items in-game increase with each chronological release regardless of the time period. For example, The Aquila had relatively basic weaponry (cannons and precision shot) but going back 60 years heralded the arrival of crucial and more advanced weaponry such as the mortar and fire barrels. Rogue, although after AC4, was still before AC3 and included superior weaponry like Puckle's gun, oil barrels, a prototype of an air rifle, and a grenade launcher. This shows that no matter the time period, Ubisoft will find ways to make the tools available interesting and functional.

So after saying this, I can't decide on the poll. I think the AC game should go further into history than the 18th century but not now or anytime soon necessarily. I know whatever setting Ubisoft picks, they will make it awesome. :cool:

DA SHIZZLE IG
11-17-2014, 02:43 AM
Playing through rogue it seems like they are moving towards the viking era.

Sejdovic11
11-17-2014, 03:14 AM
I know whatever setting Ubisoft picks, they will make it awesome. :cool:

Like they made Unity awesome?

Conniving_Eagle
11-17-2014, 03:31 AM
Thirty Years War.

We haven't done Germany or Sweden yet.

Gustavus Adolphus is like the PERFECT guy to kill when you're an Assassin.

That's crazy. I was thinking the exact same thing. The thirty years war and letting you assassinate Gustavus Adolphus. My only concern with the 30 years war is if they would feature the whole war, and if so, how would the protagonist progress? It would certainly be a challenge for Ubisoft's mostly mediocre writers.

GoldenBoy9999
11-17-2014, 03:39 AM
Like they made Unity awesome?

:nonchalance: I was waiting for this. I still have Unity in my CE box, do you not think Paris was accurately represented?

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 05:13 AM
I have said it before and I'll say it again. Stay away from Revolutions and go to cultural settings.

ELIZABETHAN ENGLAND

19TH CENTURY RUSSIA

Cactiii
11-17-2014, 05:59 AM
I think that either is fine so long as it's not too far in either direction. The furthest into the future I can imagine realistically would be 1930's Civil War Spain or 1932-1945 China. I think that the Rape of Nanjing would lend itself really well to assassin's creed, and the emphasis on swords with officers and bayonets with the Japanese would allow it to focus on hand-to-hand combat. Something set in Nanjing-Tokyo-Beijing/Manchuria/Hong Kong/whatever else could work, I think.

The only other settings in the future I can really picture would be 1800s Japan, with the opening of Japan's borders, 1800s India fighting the British East India Company, Georgian/Victorian England, and 1800s Hong Kong during and around the Opium Wars. I don't think America would really work during the civil war or gold rush because so much of it was so rural. AC3 tried to tackle a rural setting and it didn't really work out all that well.

Back in the past, there's obviously a lot more opportunities. If they want to go with the naval route, I think 1400s Indian Ocean would be, by miles, the best choice. You get figures like Zheng He and De Gama sailing around, and a huge variety of locations- from Africa to the Middle East, from Indonesia to India to China. There's a lot of opportunity for variety there, although I don't know how much actual chaos there was during that time.

That's crazy. I was thinking the exact same thing. The thirty years war and letting you assassinate Gustavus Adolphus. My only concern with the 30 years war is if they would feature the whole war, and if so, how would the protagonist progress? It would certainly be a challenge for Ubisoft's mostly mediocre writers.

The setting I would really, really, really like to see would be Prague during the 30 Years War. Prague is an absolutely gorgeous city and played a huge part in the war, including a few very famous assassinations. The entire city is a maze of buildings, even more so than Paris in Unity. It could even expand to include Vienna and some places in Germany (ahem, the Holy Roman Empire), with spontaneous fights breaking out in a 'frontier' type area. With 10,000 NPCs on screen in Unity, seeing two armies, each with 200 people charge towards one another and fight could be a really cool sight, something I thought would happen in AC3.
I think that they could cover the entire war- after all, Ezio's storyline lasted from when he was a baby up until when he was 60 or so. There was a lot that happened in the 30 years war. I don't really know enough about it to say for sure of the details. I think it could work really well for another Ezio type trilogy. One game could take place focusing in Prague, another focusing in Vienna, etc., etc..

Another opportunity would be the 4th crusade, working with Thomas de Carneillon to take down the templars, like what we saw in Unity. Heck, we could even be him if the game wanted.