PDA

View Full Version : Why unity's storyline is bad, and how it could have been epic (spoiler)

GundamZplus
11-16-2014, 06:05 PM
After a hasty play through of the latest Assassin's creed Unity, I can't help but feel that the game is completely junk in terms of story. The fighting was good; I like the new assassinations; I enjoyed the street view( and heads), but I cannot stand the story. So I will analyze here how it is such a bad story.

1. repetition

A man of noble birth, whose father died of conspiracy and murder, who had lost his status and good life, discovered that he was the descendant of an assassin, and joins the Brotherhood for vendetta...Why do I think I've seen this before? The whole character of Arno Dorian literally smells like Ezio Auditore. Hell, they have the same name, only in different language. You can sense how hard Ubi is trying to recreate the Assassin's creed II vibe, yes, with even a piece of Ezio's theme music on multiple scenes. But, this is not working. We are in revolutionary France, not Renaissance Italy. The vibe is completely different. Trying to mimic the story made the character Arno seems disconnected from his time: He did not seem revolutionary; he is just some idiot who is hell-bent on revenge in an improper time.

2. trivialization of historic figures

One thing I really liked about the previous Assassin's creed stories is the strong connection to real historic figures and events, say Da Vinci, the Pope, or Washington. This creates an interesting alternative explanation of history, and made the story much more engaging and interesting. But in this game what do we have? Napoleon who shows up briefly and disappears; Robespierre who goes to the guillotine without much story; and Lafayette who was mentioned only by name. It's the French revolution for Christ sakes! How many conspiracies, heroism and historic mysteries are there to be explored by our assassin Arno, and he just killed a bunch of Templars( who is literally nobody) and the game ends?

3. a stupid modern presentation of storyline

Where is the Assassin's creed modern story line? Well, it's there, but it's only a bunch of animations and some guys we don't know trying to tell you everything. I truly enjoyed the modern storyline, as it really creates a sense of history and character. (Remember Ezio's conversation with Desmond over 500 years at the end of Brotherhood? Remember the ultimate revelation in Masyaf?)

So, how could it be better? Well the building blocks are there, I am going to try and construct a much better story using that.

1. Instead of being some nobody, let the Abstergo employee from Black Flag return, and let the mystery of Juno return (the sage is here anyway). The two modern assassins might as well be Rebecca and Shaun. Since Black Flag, our employee became a secret assassin and spies on Abstergo's plans. He/she sabotaged the modern sage's body so Abstergo could not obtained the First Civilization DNA, but was compromised during the process. Before our employee runs off and locate the assassins, he managed to steal a large amount of data on Abstergo's research on the sage. Later Rebecca discovers that Abstergo has located another sage that could compile the DNA sequence, and pulls Arno's DNA out for the player to explore.

2. Please do not let Arno know De La Serre is a templar! The drama is out there, and it was spoiled like instantly because Arno knows. The story could be mostly the same, but instead of De La Serre dying, Arno was thrown into the Bastille because he was caught in the King's palace without an invitation. Then the story could progress into him witnessing the siege of the Bastille and escape with the assassins. He discovers that his father was an assassin, and joined up with the brotherhood, convinced by the ideals of the French Revolution,

3. Let the French revolution have an influence on Arno: under the guidance of the revolutionary ideals, Arno became zealous and killed a bunch of templars who he believes to be bad people. He met Lafayette during the process, and made friend with him. Lafayette knew Connor from the War of Independence, so he valued Arno's skill and friendship. But Arno was too fixated on killing templars that he somehow instigated a riot. Lafayette was forced to fire on the crowd in order to save him, and lost power ever since( this is real history). Arno was banished from the Brotherhood as he did not follow orders and caused Lafayette's exile. He wondered the streets and came across the siege of the palace. Remembering De La Serre's close relation with the King, he tried to sneak in and destroy any evidence against him, but he was late, as Gemain has already set the coup in motion and stole all the evidence before hand. Arno was trapped in the palace until he met Napoleon, who was stealing the apple from the palace.

4. Let the death of De La Serre be a life changing event for Arno. Together Arno and Napoleon escaped and discovered that the templars Arno killed was all loyal to De La Serre, who was the grand master of templars all along. Now these loyal templars are gone, Gemain exposed De La Serre to the revolutionary government and executed him. Shaken, Arno managed to rescue Elise from the guillotine only to discover that she was a templar as well. Elise was shocked to see Arno become an assassin and accused him for killing her father. Meanwhile, the Brotherhood was afraid of getting into trouble because of Arno's visit to the guillotine, and moves to capture him and turn him in. Desperate, Arno writes to his new best friend Napoleon, who was about to go to Italy. Napoleon took Arno as his personal entourage and marched to Italy.

5. In Italy, Arno fought at Napoleon's side and came into touch with the Italian Brotherhood, which ultimately secured Napoleon's victory. He also discovers relic sites around Italy concerning the pieces of Eden. He was increasingly suspicious of Napoleon's possession of the apple.

6. Back in Paris, Robespierre's reign of terror continued, Elise wrote to Arno and begged him for help. Arno came back to Paris with his new knowledge and cooperated wit h Elise to bring down Robespierre. When he was about the succeed in assassinating Robespierre, he learned that Elise was also a templar, and was completely shocked. Elise explained to him that templars are not all evil, but Arno felt like Elise deceived him all along, and drinks to his sorrow. Elise, meanwhile, brings down Robespierre with her templar ways.

7. Arno lost his watch and searches for it in the Versallies as the original story portrays. He eventually came to an understanding with Elise, but could never feel the same again for her. Elise reveals that she wishes to revenge her family and kill Gemain. Arno was not interested and followed Napoleon to Egypt.

8.In Egypt, Arno visited more historic relics and learned of the first civilization. He confronted Napoleon for his possession of the apple. Napoleon explains that he is neither templar nor assassin. He wishes only to bring peace again to France. Arno, disillusioned of the radical ideals of the revolution after the reign of terror, agrees with Napoleon and reveals to him that Gemain was the real instigator of revolution. Napoleon planned to go back and confront Gemain, but was stopped as the British templars defeated him in the Battle of the Nile.

9. After a long struggle, Arno and Napoleon finally came back to Paris. Together with Elise, they confronted Gemain, and Napoleon used the Apple to nullify the power of Gemain's sword. With the help of Arno and Elise, Napoleon brings glory and justice to France and declares himself emperor. Gemain's body was left in the temple.

10. Rebecca and Shaun raced to the temple and discovered that the sage's body is not there, and a dead German officer lied on the ground, in his pocket is Hitler's order to retrieve the sage's body.

lagrue
11-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Funny you mention Napoleon and that Apple. It's how I came here... I remember the glyphs and puzzles from one of the older games and he had one in his possession, so as soon as I seen the glow in Unity I knew he had stolen one. And then he's just basically gone.... talk to the 2-3 more times and that's it?

This could have, and should have been a vital plot point, Napoleon rose to power not just once but twice even after exile. No stopping this guy's ambition.. and not really any implications of it being taken up further in the DLC. I guess it was just a bit of an easter egg of sorts for fans who played the earlier ones and understood what was happening.

It was actually a good laugh for me, realizing that Arno basically let a piece of Eden walk right by for papers :p

xChip1998x
11-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I too thought the story was very poor for a big studio. Ubisoft needs to bring back the Juno threat, and give the story some progression. Honestly, the ending of this game made me hit my head of the desk, how do these people even keep their jobs?

I play AC for the modern day story, its so interesting... except for black flag's and unity's. I still have to play Rogue.

I really freight for the AC series, its going down hill and it needs saved.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
This is what I originally wanted for AC Unity. I've edited it with specific references to Arno, de la Serre, Shay, Mirabeau, and Elise. My original idea (from right after finishing AC3) didn't have the murder plot aspects in this story, but everything else was what I wanted:

FRENCH REVOLUTION TRILOGY

Assassin's Creed Unity

- Protagonist: Arno Victor Dorian - Father is killed by Shay Patrick Cormac. Raised by Grandmaster de la Serre. In love with his daughter Elise.

- There are regional Assassin Brotherhoods and Templar Orders. The Assassins in France are among the oldest brotherhoods, but are split between radical and moderate Assassins. The Montagnards, led by Robespierre, who also has a political position, are the radical, and leading, Assassins, still calling themselves an Assassin ORDER (signifying their fanaticism). They are based in a hideout called the Mountain ("montagnard", an allusion to Masyaf and Al Mualim's moniker, the "Old Man of the MOUNTAIN"). Again, the Montagnards are more left-leaning, more radical Assassins, and those who lead the revolutionary effort. The Montagnards are located in the heart of revolutionary Paris. The moderate Assassin Brotherhood, led by Mentor Mirabeau, are the lesser of the two brotherhoods. The Montagnards initiate the French Revolution, seeing their "success" in America, and attempting to replicate the process (Robespierre has plans to spark revolution in other European countries). The goal of the Montagnards is to erode the base of Templar support, the institutions they rely on, the powers that they influence, and to use revolution as a vehicle to dispose of them.

The Templars are radical as well, yet are still "The Old Guard" (no Sage story here). The Templars, however, weaker than the French Assassins ever since the execution of Grandmaster Jacques de Molay, are in a truce with the moderate Assassin Brotherhood. Prior to the Revolution, the Templars plan to eliminate Robespierre, paving the way for the weaker Brotherhood to become the leading Assassins in France, as well as eliminating the much stronger Montagnards. With the Revolution, the Templars are caught off-guard. The Montagnard assassinate Grandmaster de la Serre, using Templar methods. Arno is still framed, as in Unity, and winds up in prison. He still joins the Brotherhood, Elise is still upset with him, and he goes on his hunt to find the one who killed de la Serre. Only this time, there is no Templar conspiracy, although Arno and Elise still believe there to be one. Arno's quest to find his adopted father's killer spans the entire game, and not just half.

Mirabeau is still killed by Bellec mid-way through the game, but is not found out until later in the story. In place of the hunt for Germain, Bellec is discovered around the same time that Germain is in the current story. Arno and Elise search for him, not sure where he is. They believe him to be a Templar. Finding him around the same time as Arno's first real encounter with Germain as Grandmaster, Bellec makes his same speech to Arno about purging the "Order", albeit from within. Arno understands Bellec to be a radical Montagnard. Upon killing Bellec, Arno brings this to the Assassin Brotherhood, where the council finally discloses the fact that the Montagnards are in fact Assassins (this knowledge was previously withheld from Arno). Still no closer to finding who killed Grandmaster de la Serre, the duo pursue leads on the Montagnard and Robespierre, eventually discovering that the Montagnards are behind the death of de la Serre. Arno and Elise discredit Robespierre, with success, bringing down his Reign of Terror (using this to get rid of Templars, among other dissidents - "potential Templars" according to Robespierre). Arno and Elise, in their confrontation of Robespierre, interrogate him. He explains the radical position of the Montagnards as a response to the Templars, specifically non-French Templar influence in France. He states that the Templars pose a threat to the French Assassins, and that ever since the elimination of the Colonial Brotherhood and murder of Charles Dorian at the hands of "the American Templar/traitor identified as Shay Patrick Cormac", the Montagnard had been watching Templar "movements" outside of France, noting their vast influence on and infiltration of European monarchies. This is the reason for his attempts to start revolutions in neighboring European countries. The Templars outside of France were going to start a French revolution, finally get revenge for the monarchy's betrayal during the 14th century (for the order, not just for de Molay) and were going to bring down the Assassins with it, so the Montagnard sparked the Revolution before the Templars had a chance. Because of the (according to de la Serre) unneccessary death of Charles Dorian, de la Serre sought a truce with Mirabeau. Believing this to be a ruse, Robespierre had him assassinated. Arno finally has the answer to the death of his father, de la Serre, and Mirabeau.

During the course of the story, the Templars grow more radical as a result of de la Serre's assassination. They use the revolution to get rid of the monarchy that had betrayed their order centuries ago. They initiate counter-revolutions (1st and 2nd wars of the coalition), planning to bring back order to France (in the face of a Revolution that got out of hand). The counter-revolution begins, and the Assassins believe themselves to have an ally in Napoleon (as they will discover in a sequel, Napoleon is the major part of the Templars' plan). As a result of events within the game, and the impossibility of returning to the truce that Mirabeau and de la Serre held, Arno and Elise leave the Assassins and Templars, respectively. This sets up events in the sequel.

Assassin's Creed Unity sequel

French Revolution, post-Robespierre

- Two major characters - A new French Assassin and a British Templar, each having equal or proportionate sequences and time to their importance to the story.

- Following the death of Robespierre, the Assassins focus on the Templar-led war against France. Napoleon is seen as the hero of the revolution, a sort of General Washington for the French Assassins, seemingly sympathetic to the Assassin cause. Each of the characters' roles during this time are explored, sequence by sequence.

- You follow the developments within France as the French Assassin, eliminating Templars still in France.

- As the French assassin, you fight Templars from France's enemies, accompanying Napoleon as he fights. This culminates with the Battle of the Pyramids and the Battle of the Nile in Egypt along Egyptian Assassins, as the French assassin seeks out his Templar target, Horatio Lord Nelson, who commands the British Fleet fighting the French Fleet. The French Fleet loses, forcing Napoleon to go back to France with the Assassin.

- Napoleon, again in France, abolishes the Directory. The consulate is established, with Napoleon the first consul. The French Assassins begin to have suspicions about Napoleon. He eventually turns France into an empire, crowning himself Emperor, and revealing himself to be a Templar.

- Playing as the British Templar, it is revealed that the Templars who are in control of France's enemies originally warred to halt the Montagnard gains from the Revolution, orchestrating the war on all sides, with Napoleon being a French Templar. When Napoleon becomes emperor, the other Templar Orders (of the enemies of France) realize that Napoleon has become too ambitious, going against the Templar plan to orchestrate European order through a negotiate peace on all sides. They continue to fight Napoleon since he seeks to reestablish the French Templar Order as the predominant Templar Order in Europe, and withdraw their support from him.

- As the game ends, we see the beginning of the 3rd - 6th Wars of the Coalition, where during this time France makes and breaks numerous alliances, opposed all the while by the British Templars, who hold current sway over the other Templar-led monarchies. This sets the stage for the sequel to this game, where we see the end of this French trilogy.