PDA

View Full Version : How shall AC: Unity be remembered?

Dev_Anj
11-16-2014, 05:21 PM
AC: Unity, from what I've being seeing is quite a polarizing game, with some people liking it and some hating it. It definitely has a fair share of its issues, like the bugs, glitches, some problematic mechanics and such, while also having some changes to the systems.

In the history of Assassin's Creed games, how do you think AC: Unity will be remembered? Will it be a tragic failure of the franchise, an interesting failure, an unremarkable entry in the series, a decent game, or a great entry of the franchise that stood out with time? Tell me.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 05:36 PM
I imagine that people will probably remember Unity in comparison to whatever comes next.

Assassin's Creed was considered great and very innovative.

But the real test of time was how people held it up against Ezio's adventures.

People were extraordinarily critical of AC3 and its bugs but it wasn't until Black Flag that people came to their final conclusion that "Connor is a cool character but the game wasn't quite as punchy as it could be."

Ironically, Unity is getting some of this already thanks to Rogue. You have a real-time "new" assassins creed game to compare it to.

ACfan443
11-16-2014, 06:12 PM
People were extraordinarily critical of AC3 and its bugs but it wasn't until Black Flag that people came to their final conclusion that "Connor is a cool character but the game wasn't quite as punchy as it could be."

No one came to this conclusion, people outside of this forum still loathe every fibre of his being.

Perk89
11-16-2014, 06:20 PM
No one came to this conclusion, people outside of this forum still loathe every fibre of his being.

This isn't even remotely true. Connor gets love from every AC piece I see hit the net. In fact, I've noticed reading Unity reviews that AC3 as a whole is getting better with age.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 06:29 PM

That's more or less completely false. Connor was critically well-liked and the complainers were always a minority.

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 06:40 PM
It will be known as worse than AC3

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 06:41 PM
It will be known as worse than AC3

Assassins Creed 3 was a really good game.

It just wasn't tightly written.

Which is different from being bad.

Perk89
11-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Assassins Creed 3 was a really good game.

It just wasn't tightly written.

Which is different from being bad.

There was that whole matter of a terrible stealth system and a slew of poor creative decisions (a 5 sequence long tutorial, anyone?)

other than that though, I agree. I do like the game.

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2014, 06:50 PM
In the history of Assassin's Creed games, how do you think AC: Unity will be remembered? Will it be a tragic failure of the franchise, an interesting failure, an unremarkable entry in the series, a decent game, or a great entry of the franchise that stood out with time? Tell me.

It will be remembered as all three "A tragic failure, an interesting failure, an unremarkable entry of the franchise", and I severely doubt it will be remembered for the fourth.

The point is every AC entry has had something iconic until now.

- The first game well, its the first game, and I think as time passes more or more people are realizing that as a game, AC is incredibly awesome and fun, I replay it every year or so and the animation and detail is still astounding even if it came out in 2007.

- The Ezio games has the iconic supporting characters, the memorable villains, those cool AC Target Videos Shaun Made(why they removed that I will never know) the missions and Ezio himself. Even Revelations I would argue has lots of iconic elements, it pretty much cemented Subject 16 as everyone's favorite modern day character, and Istanbul is simply an awesome beautiful city and Yusuf Tazim and Suleiman are awesome. And Revelations has these memorable missions - the Riot at the Harbor, Cappadocia, Shahkulu, the Minstrel Sequence.

- AC3 has Haytham, the Aquila, the amazing opening scene at the Opera, Achilles, the overall bitterness at the end of it and the crazypants DLC. So it has several iconic images in the game. Even the complaints, people talk of "Where is Charles Lee?" or that final chase mission, the Homestead. The fact is that shows many people stuck around and played the game till the end.

- Black Flag has Piracy and the great supporting cast. It's the best Pirate Game ever made, so it's already a classic. And its a gorgeous game, green waters and blue skies.

- AC:Unity has...nothing. I mean I haven't come across people talking about iconic moments. Aside from how much of a boss Napoleon is. There haven't been people talking about great missions, great side missions yet, and nobody thinks the villains are interesting. People like Elise and some like Pierre Bellec. There aren't any cool one-liners people discuss. All I hear is complaints about the history, the glitches, the ending and the praise I hear is the Parkour is great and Paris is beautiful.

king-hailz
11-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Well I think it's story was the same as AC3 for different reasons.

AC3 had a good base storyline to it. But it wasn't told very well.
ACU was told very well. But it had a pretty lame storyline.

But I think it will be seen as another entry to the game that people will forget. Or just as the first next gen only AC game. However what's next will really blow their minds! I hope....

They still haven't made that jump that AC2 made over AC1. I think they could with the next one... not technically but just overall... but tbh ubisoft will never really make assassins creed that great... unless they see it is a piece of art more than a bag of money!

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2014, 06:51 PM

It will be remembered as all three "A tragic failure, an interesting failure, an unremarkable entry of the franchise", and I severely doubt it will be remembered for the fourth.

The point is every AC entry has had something iconic until now.

- The first game well, its the first game, and I think as time passes more or more people are realizing that as a game, AC is incredibly awesome and fun, I replay it every year or so and the animation and detail is still astounding even if it came out in 2007.

- The Ezio games has the iconic supporting characters, the memorable villains, those cool AC Target Videos Shaun Made(why they removed that I will never know) the missions and Ezio himself. Even Revelations I would argue has lots of iconic elements, it pretty much cemented Subject 16 as everyone's favorite modern day character, and Istanbul is simply an awesome beautiful city and Yusuf Tazim and Suleiman are awesome. And Revelations has these memorable missions - the Riot at the Harbor, Cappadocia, Shahkulu, the Minstrel Sequence.

- AC3 has Haytham, the Aquila, the amazing opening scene at the Opera, Achilles, the overall bitterness at the end of it and the crazypants DLC. So it has several iconic images in the game. Even the complaints, people talk of "Where is Charles Lee?" or that final chase mission, the Homestead. The fact is that shows many people stuck around and played the game till the end.

- Black Flag has Piracy and the great supporting cast. It's the best Pirate Game ever made, so it's already a classic. And its a gorgeous game, green waters and blue skies.

- AC:Unity has...nothing. I mean I haven't come across people talking about iconic moments. Aside from how much of a boss Napoleon is. There haven't been people talking about great missions, great side missions yet, and nobody thinks the villains are interesting. People like Elise and some like Pierre Bellec. There aren't any cool one-liners people discuss. All I hear is complaints about the history, the glitches, the ending and the praise I hear is the Parkour is great and Paris is beautiful. Making Parkour great is Ubisoft's work and to be honest, it will be a bigger challenge making Paris ugly than beautiful.

TheHumanTowel
11-16-2014, 06:52 PM
As the harbinger of the collapse of western civilisation.

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Well I think it's story was the same as AC3 for different reasons.

AC3 had a good base storyline to it. But it wasn't told very well.
ACU was told very well. But it had a pretty lame storyline.

But I think it will be seen as another entry to the game that people will forget. Or just as the first next gen only AC game. However what's next will really blow their minds! I hope....

The problem is that people let marketing affect creative decisions. They let vocal minority online lead them to forget what makes the series work and sell well. The fact is ASSASSINS CREED III is the best-selling title of the entire Franchise. That includes the Ezio games and Black Flag.

I have read interview with Nicolas Guerin who cited the sidelining of history in UNITY by pointing out that people complained that Connor was everywhere during the American Revolution. The fact is it was made conspicuous thanks to errors in execution, and weak missions like the Paul Revere Midnight Ride. But the undeniable fact is that the appeal of Assassin's Creed is definitely 40% Historical Tourism and Time Travel, without the sense that you are actually shaping history the games are really, well what Unity is, just another empty revenge/atonement story with no consequence.

The whole point of AC3 is that even if Connor defeats the Templars and he ensures the success of the Assassins, he still loses big time, that what he builds will have no place for him and without having Connor be a part of that history, indeed be ominpresent makes that weight of betrayal and defeat and bitterness shine even stronger, especially the tragedy of the Patricide. Likewise, Edward Kenway is on a first-name basis with every major pirate of the Golden Age, and without knowing who they were and feeling sorry that they died even if they weren't innocent, I doubt BLACK FLAG would be half as memorable and of course all those real-life folk songs that add to the texture. Likewise Ezio IS the Renaissance.

Unity sidelines and dishonors the Revolution abominably, it basically says that the people were sheep and that the Templars did it. The philosopher who inspired the Revolution wasn't Jacques de Molay, it was Rousseau. The only reason anyone cares about Molay is that the cash-strapped King of France, Philip IV had him whacked. Otherwise he'd be of no importance. The French Revolution introduced all the features of democracy that we now accept. The Declaration of the Rights of Man preceded America's Bill of Rights and inspired that. It was also a young person's revolution with most everyone being in their mid 30s, no other Revolution including the Russian event can claim that. It was also the world's first anti-racist revolution - giving franchise to Jews, Protestants and people of colour(they denounced it as the "aristocracy of the skin"), they also included universal male suffrage and while they didn't give women the vote(and should be criticized for this neglect) they introduced no-fault divorce, allowed women the right to property. During the Reign of Terror, France became the first major democracy to abolish slavery, well before England and way, way, before America.

And anyone who has read even a right-wing history knows that Robespierre under no circumstances would ever be a Templar. A cool game would have had him persecuting both Assassins and Templars since he would regard them as anti-state organizations detrimental to public safety.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 08:25 PM
I totally 100% agree.

Unity sidelines and dishonors the Revolution abominably, it basically says that the people were sheep and that the Templars did it. The philosopher who inspired the Revolution wasn't Jacques de Molay, it was Rousseau. The only reason anyone cares about Molay is that the cash-strapped King of France, Philip IV had him whacked. Otherwise he'd be of no importance.

To be fair to Molay, he was leader of the most powerful banking institution in the world and the first trans-European one. He's not a small personage even if he, Robspierre, and others all get Historical Villain Upgrades.

And anyone who has read even a right-wing history knows that Robespierre under no circumstances would ever be a Templar. A cool game would have had him persecuting both Assassins and Templars since he would regard them as anti-state organizations detrimental to public safety.

On my end, why aren't Robspierre and Saint Juste Assassins?

I mean, of ALL THE TIMES IN HISTORY you could make evil Assassins (for some values of evil), THIS was the time. It is the ARCHETYPAL Revolution Gone WrongTM.

The comics had Lenin allied with the Assassins.

The writers should have had Arno as an aristocrat Assassin serving the Revolution only to have to deal with it go horribly South. Maybe have him ally with the Templars to stop them, only for them to put up Napoleon.

That would be DRAMA.

TIGHE101
11-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I think that AC: Unity will be remembered as a tragic failure to Games as there are a lot of bugs with it and looking good on next gen but bug city in game play a big fat let down.in the A C Games. hope for better next year.

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 09:31 PM
It's the AC that has coffee with AC3 on Tuesdays. :rolleyes:

Nah, Jk.

rprkjj
11-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Hopefully it will be remembered as the game with the best free-running, combat, city atmosphere, and stealth in the series, as well as having a more open quest system with interesting side missions, an actually useful underground, the best mission design, introducing mod missions and actually being able to go inside a big chunk of the buildings, the beautiful graphics, being able to customize your appearance and a decent story.

I don't think Unity gets enough credit for how much of a leap it is for the series.

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Hopefully it will be remembered as the game with the best free-running, combat, city atmosphere, and stealth in the series, as well as having a more open quest system with interesting side missions, an actually useful underground, the best mission design, introducing mod missions and actually being able to go inside a big chunk of the buildings, the beautiful graphics, being able to customize your appearance and a decent story.

I don't think Unity gets enough credit for how much of a leap it is for the series.

It'll be like AC1 someday... :rolleyes:

playlisting
11-16-2014, 10:46 PM
those cool AC Target Videos Shaun Made(why they removed that I will never know)

They really need to bring those back! Loved watching those.

drmambo1999
11-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Depending on how the patches go, I can see this game ending up being remembered as a "hidden gem." As it stands now, there are bugs that ruin the game for people, but if those are fixed, the game will be solid in my opinion. Then there is the actual game under all the bugs, which is still a bit of a hit and miss for some. I don't think this game will be remembered as anything too spectacular, because, as much as I love it, it doesn't offer anything that really stands out from the others in the franchise.

The game play, however is quite fun, the graphics are great!, and the story, while not everyone's favorite, is solid.

I can certainly see gamers later on who pick this game up after all the bugs are worked out (still praying that the major ones all get fixed.) finding a surprising amount of enjoyment out of it considering its sad initial reception.

rprkjj
11-17-2014, 12:15 AM
It'll be like AC1 someday... :rolleyes:

It's like AC1 now. Except a way better version that executes on better gameplay than 1 as well as not being repetitive. It's almost like what AC4 is, except without the sailing and terrible tailing/eavesdropping missions.

Namikaze_17
11-17-2014, 12:29 AM
It's like AC1 now. Except a way better version that executes on better gameplay than 1 as well as not being repetitive. It's almost like what AC4 is, except without the sailing and terrible tailing/eavesdropping missions.

That is true...

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 05:40 AM
I totally 100% agree.

To be fair to Molay, he was leader of the most powerful banking institution in the world and the first trans-European one. He's not a small personage even if he, Robspierre, and others all get Historical Villain Upgrades.

Well, that banking stuff wasn't something he came up with or set in motion. It developed because the Templars were slowly losing their original purpose and banking was all they were good for and Philip IV really really need cash. The Medici were historically more relevant to the development of banking. Those supposedly cunning Ubisoft writers looked at all the Templar imagery in Paris, the fact that the King and Queen were imprisoned in the Temple Fortress, or that someone said, apocryphally, that Jacques de Molay was avenged and that the Revolution played a role in the rise of capitalism and they decided to go full hog at making the Templars behind everything. It's false reasoning of the highest order. It would make sense if Elise was the hero instead of Arno, but as we all know, and now can see, women are hard for Ubisoft to animate.

On my end, why aren't Robspierre and Saint Juste Assassins?

I mean, of ALL THE TIMES IN HISTORY you could make evil Assassins (for some values of evil), THIS was the time. It is the ARCHETYPAL Revolution Gone WrongTM.

The comics had Lenin allied with the Assassins.

The writers should have had Arno as an aristocrat Assassin serving the Revolution only to have to deal with it go horribly South. Maybe have him ally with the Templars to stop them, only for them to put up Napoleon.

That would be DRAMA.

The French Revolution did not really go wrong at all. That's a myth. The game takes all its information from centuries of English propaganda rather than the actual research on the ground in France during 1789-1794. The truth is for a generation of young people, a bunch of people in the mid-30s with no prior political experience, the Revolution allowed them to get far more than they had right to reasonably expect.

Dev_Anj
11-17-2014, 03:04 PM
It will be remembered as all three "A tragic failure, an interesting failure, an unremarkable entry of the franchise"...

Those three terms mean different things. The first one means a product that failed badly in many aspects, the second means a product that had some interesting concepts and attempts at being good but still failed, the third one means a product that has some good and bad stuff, but in the end is dull and not much stands out. I don't think people can remember it as all three, unless the player base remains extremely divided about the game, which I can't see happening. Already, people have generally started to form an opinion that it has some decent changes to the systems but has glitches and some odd design decisions and lacks in its story.

But who knows how opinions will change 10 or so years down the line.

creedalien
11-17-2014, 03:14 PM
ac1:Masterpiece
Ac UNITY: BUGFEST, ****ty boring uninteresting soap opera ubisoft tch.. really? this is not an ac game. this is the worst ac i ever played.jacques de molay story was better than the whole ac unity with arno :)

TIGHE101
11-17-2014, 03:24 PM
How will A.C. Unity come out of this well it be the low spot of the A.C. Games it as bugs with the game play it may look good but that's it for it the game is a big fat mess I have all the A.C.Games and this one is at the bottom of the list it may look good on next gen consoles but that's as far as it goes will not be pre-order the next one after this thing its a total let down of a game in the A.C. List

TIGHE101
11-17-2014, 03:27 PM
How will A.C. Unity come out of this well it be the low spot of the A.C. Games it as bugs with the game play it may look good but that's it for it the game is a big fat mess I have all the A.C.Games and this one is at the bottom of the list it may look good on next gen consoles but that's as far as it goes will not be going for a pre-order for the next one after this thing its a total let down of a game in the A.C. List

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Those three terms mean different things. The first one means a product that failed badly in many aspects, the second means a product that had some interesting concepts and attempts at being good but still failed, the third one means a product that has some good and bad stuff, but in the end is dull and not much stands out. I don't think people can remember it as all three, unless the player base remains extremely divided about the game, which I can't see happening. Already, people have generally started to form an opinion that it has some decent changes to the systems but has glitches and some odd design decisions and lacks in its story.

Well, let me break it down

1) Its a tragic failure in that a lot of hard work went into recreating Paris and the graphics are lovely. They had the Passion for it and the right spirit. Paris will probably be the ultimate attempt of an Assassin's Creed city, but alas it serves a game that is unworthy of its efforts. I mean some of the work gone in the background, the Crowds and the like are cool, but without anything to anchor it to, all the stuff is just "there".

2) It's an interesting failure in that the developers tried to change the formula and approach of the franchise. They decided to move away from the historical element and focus on a personal and metaphorical conflict, they also tried to pivot it around a love story, all this is kind of interesting. The problem is that this approach could have worked in AC1(where the Crusades is a backdrop more or less, though still more present than the French Revolution) and it might even have worked in AC3 where the personal conflict of Connor and his adventure as a Native American in America interweaves awkwardly with the American Revolution which as such lacks a great deal in intrigue and drama. The problem is that the French Revolution is so rich and teeming with possibilities and pretty much invented the modern world, that it demanded you to be front and center in the middle fo it rather than the sides. Instead we have "Scarlet Pimpernel: The Game" more or less.

3) It is an unremarkable entry because well, there aren't any memorable missions in terms of design, the gameplay is repititive, a weak supporting characters, the story is trite and cliche, the history is one lie after another and a series of demonstrable falsehoods and Arno pretty much sucks.

AbiX MichMasteR
11-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Elise is my new waifu... I'll remember it cuz of that

Dev_Anj
11-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Well, let me break it down

1) Its a tragic failure in that ....
2) It's an interesting failure in that....
3) It is an unremarkable entry because..

To me, it sounds like you think it's an interesting failure, because it has genuine attempts to be good, and succeeds in some respects, but the overall product is a failure for you still.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
To me, it sounds like you think it's an interesting failure, because it has genuine attempts to be good, and succeeds in some respects, but the overall product is a failure for you still.

If you want to see some positives there then fine. I am just saying that it fails on several levels and is a blemish of the Franchise. The good work by its artisans is not tied to a coherent whole like in Black Flag.

I think that the game as it is is could have worked if Elise was the main character since it is her story and Arno is just there to observe her. It might have worked if we saw the game through her eyes.

shobhit7777777
11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
It'll be remembered as the AC game that finally tipped the boat for Ubi

- Poorly optimized
- Freemium tactics up the ***
- Unrefined elements
- Franchise fatigue

Which is sad, because ACU was the only game in a long line of AC games that went back to what AC1 tried to capture - the Assassin fantasy. 'Blade in the Crowd' and all that. I haven't had much time with it (5 min to be precise) but I feel that from a gameplay perspective its headed in the right direction.

My good friend and fellow forum vet - Jazz117Volkov - has been playing it for a while and its already given him an awesome organic, unscripted memory. I'll quote it below:

Moment of awesomeness

I assassinated a baddie just outside a group of people. His buddy noticed be walking away from the corpse, and got all angsty and started yelling after me. He followed me over to the crowd but I'd already disappeared into them. He stopped, looked around, couldn't quite make me out. I swung around through the group and popped out right beside him and stuck my hidden blade in his gut as I walked off into the street. No one even looked up.

Best Assassin's Creed moment I've ever had. And goodluck finding it in any of the other iterations. Also, the "crowd assassinations" as I call them, where Arno gently brushes by someone and sticks them with the hidden blade, without even breaking pace... they're some of the most sneaking, apt, and badass kills I've ever seen. Everything the "blade in a crowd" motif stands for is perfectly captured in the way Arno stealth kills in public.

That is a fantastic moment indeed and for the first time in franchise history....you actually feel like an incognito badass.

I do hope they continue down this road

Systemic, sandbox gameplay is at the heart of social stealth gameplay....they can really make something astoundingly amazing if they un-**** themselves.

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Unity will be remembered for these:
One of the worst stories.
Best assassinations
Best city

The other stuff,good or bad,will be forgotten soon,due to the following games

SleepyHunter
11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
So much hype and marketing, a meh game. Aside from better parkour, great graphics (although somehow it is done with low res textures) and better combat, it offers pretty much what the series has offered for the past 7 years. Fatigue of the series, lack of ideas from the devs.

Oh and that $99 helix credit for a $60 game

JustPlainQuirky
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Unity will be remembered for these:
One of the worst stories.

I hope this is the case.

Ubisoft REALLY dropped the ball with this story.