PDA

View Full Version : Co-op with randoms...

Aphex_Tim
11-16-2014, 01:12 PM
It is as I feared and it is of course inevitable: Once you play co-op with randoms (who at nine out of ten times do not use their mics), it doesn't become a co-op session. It becomes a competition to who can get to the target the fastest. In such cases there's no regard for stealth at all, players just rush straight to the waypoint, don't help each other out when someone's in a pickle with guards, and every objective just ends up in a massive fight with two dozen guards and at least one player dying in every fight.

Why would anyone want to do that? What would they try to accomplish? If you don't play co-op missions stealthy, there's barely any rewards in it for you, so there's basically no reason to finish the mission at all. It simply baffles me and confirms that I'm gonna have to find some players who are willing to do some actual co-op.

steveeire
11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Why not invite people on your friend list to play with you, I played two matches with randoms and I found no one used there headsets so the lack of talking didn't help.

ace3001
11-16-2014, 01:34 PM
I absolutely hate talking to random people in multiplayer games, so I can understand people having mic off. Either play with friends or play solo.

medcsu
11-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I have been soloing the co-op missions because, frankly, I would be willing to wager that over 90% of the player base are utterly devoid of any skill and are simply fail players. Point being, just solo them. Don't waste time on the randoms.

PsychoGerbil99
11-16-2014, 02:39 PM
I am also just soloing them because to be quite frank I don't like playing with other people on co-op missions as they either get in the way or run around attracting all the guards to you.

If Ubisoft wanted multiplayer in ACU it should have just stuck with the competitive modes and left the story as pure single player

steveeire
11-16-2014, 02:45 PM
You can solo them?

Aphex_Tim
11-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes you can but (to my experience so far) it's nearly impossible to play them fully stealthy on your own.

medcsu
11-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah, just set it to private and solo them. Bypass the fail player base that *****ed and moaned for changes only to now complain that the game is too hard.

medcsu
11-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes you can but (to my experience so far) it's nearly impossible to play them fully stealthy on your own.

It really depends which mission, some are a pain to play solo but I will give Ubisoft credit for a good checkpoint system. Their removal of whistle and a few other core mechanics really screwed the solo gameplay up but there are ways to get around it with range, poison, etc. Just collect as many skill points as possible before you hit the tough ones or come back later.

D.I.D.
11-16-2014, 02:56 PM
You can solo them?

Yes, highlight the icon on the map, and then choose "public" or "private" (MP or solo).

Tim - I've found a really good mix of people on PC. I have to admit, sometimes I'm the fox in a henhouse guy, because once you've played a mission once then you see what kind of thing it is. For instance, there is almost no point in being stealthy in The Food Chain, because it just makes the mission take longer (and it's less fun). Then with something like The Austrian Conspiracy, yeah, that one benefits from the approach where you slowly and carefully whittle down the numbers.

I've been using no mic, and don't hear anybody else's, but I've found it really enjoyable to see how people telegraph what they're going to do (walking around with the smoke bomb aim circle well in advance of the populated room, etc) and how co-ordinated we're able to be. Some of my best moments in the whole game have been the moments when you're in sync with someone else, naturally splitting up areas and occasionally seeing your partner swooping over a nearby rooftop at the same time as you, reviving each other when necessary. I didn't even know about the revive ability until someone used it on me, so now I do it all the time, but I hope I didn't upset anyone by accident in my early rounds by leaving them to die. I'm still not sure of the etiquette with that - if I'm knocked down, is it better to desync manually so the other person doesn't have to worry about me, or do I hurt both of our scores in some way? I'm not sure.

medcsu
11-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I will say that if you have a solid group of likeminded people who are skilled like D.I.D. went over, this game is quite cool but, let's be honest here, who the hell wants AC to turn into a "be on at 7" type game. It's a good idea but it's far too integrated in my opinion and it came at the cost of too many good things.

Regardless though, give the solo a try man, it's quite challenging so if you like enjoyable, stealthy and strategic gameplay, you'll enjoy it. I really hope they fix the cover mechanic though. It needs to snap everytime and not take as long as it does.

Aphex_Tim
11-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Indeed, when co-op works, it works really well. It really shows when people actually want to co-ordinate an approach instead of rushing in blindly. Sadly, I've only encountered this once so far.
Here's an example video I just shot: the mission has barely started and my two "brothers" are already causing massive chaos in the streets. At one point I try to help one out but am immediately killed in response. And this happens every bloody time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTKiGlqqGpY

Later on I tried to solo this mission but simply couldn't do it without being detected. It should be perfectly doable if players would just co-ordinate their approach. But that simply never happens!

RzaRecta357
11-16-2014, 03:05 PM
That's why buddy that shows you around mentions it's better to form a club or use the same team whenever you can because you learn each others skills. I played two random games and it's exactly as you say.

Played a few games with just my friend and it may be the most fun I've ever had on an AC game... Creeping into the sewers and phantom blading, corner killing and sync killing bad guys together was an incredible amount of fun.

EDIT -- Don't forget some people may still be learning the mechanics. I'm an OG AC player here :P. My first coop game we all approached the targets through the crowd and I so wanted to test my new phantom blade... I figured I could aim and fire it pretty stealth like the older games.

No, lol. The crowd seen my arm go up and that guard die and massive chaos happened and it scrambled us all in a huge fight. It was still incredibly fun because anything can happen but I sure felt like an arsehole haha.

medcsu
11-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Indeed, when co-op works, it works really well. It really shows when people actually want to co-ordinate an approach instead of rushing in blindly. Sadly, I've only encountered this once so far.
Here's an example video I just shot: the mission has barely started and my two "brothers" are already causing massive chaos in the streets. At one point I try to help one out but am immediately killed in response. And this happens every bloody time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTKiGlqqGpY

Later on I tried to solo this mission but simply couldn't do it without being detected. It should be perfectly doable if players would just co-ordinate their approach. But that simply never happens!

For this one to solo (I actually just went back to knock this out solo):

1) Aerial Kill the guard on the castle ledge
2) Go through the house window to get the musket gunner on the opposite side.
3) Use cherry bombs to lure the 3rd guard at the ground level into the crowd and assassinate him while blended.

Hope that helps so you don't have to deal with those boneheads you were with there again.

topeira1980
11-16-2014, 08:32 PM
For this one to solo (I actually just went back to knock this out solo):

1) Aerial Kill the guard on the castle ledge
2) Go through the house window to get the musket gunner on the opposite side.
3) Use cherry bombs to lure the 3rd guard at the ground level into the crowd and assassinate him while blended.

Hope that helps so you don't have to deal with those boneheads you were with there again.

the fact that you can give such instructions shows that UBI didnt try hard enough to randomize things for multiple playthroughs. i was really excited for the randomized objectives in coop but it seems like the changes are very small, if at all. not that much fun playing through the same mission multiple times in most cases.

SixKeys
11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Aphex_Tim, if you're on PC, you should hit me and Fatal-Feit up sometime. We both like to play stealthy. Playing with randoms is indeed very frustrating ATM. I don't know if it's 12-year-old kids running around CoD style or what, but nobody seems to bother with stealth. It's especially annoying in heists where you lose a bit of the reward every time you're detected.

It's not always the players' fault, of course. We had a few 4-player matches where the game would randomly spawn guards out of thin air, which would naturally result in one of us getting detected. Sometimes AI acts unpredictably, guards refuse to die even after being impaled through the head, players getting disconnected because of server problems etc. We got to the final stage (I'm assuming) of a 5-star mission where you have to fight a ton of guards and the game just went nuts. Guards got stuck in the air, refused to attack, couldn't be interacted with, and players suddenly died out of nowhere without ever being hit and couldn't be revived. It was comical, to say the least.

Steelray25
11-16-2014, 08:52 PM
It is what it is. I've yet to get in one with anyone willing to talk, or plan, or coordinate.

So have fun going all Kill Bill.

I'd like to do it more strategically, but with randoms, that's as likely as hitting Powerball.

Aaron5588
11-16-2014, 09:08 PM
It is as I feared and it is of course inevitable: Once you play co-op with randoms (who at nine out of ten times do not use their mics), it doesn't become a co-op session. It becomes a competition to who can get to the target the fastest. In such cases there's no regard for stealth at all, players just rush straight to the waypoint, don't help each other out when someone's in a pickle with guards, and every objective just ends up in a massive fight with two dozen guards and at least one player dying in every fight.

Why would anyone want to do that? What would they try to accomplish? If you don't play co-op missions stealthy, there's barely any rewards in it for you, so there's basically no reason to finish the mission at all. It simply baffles me and confirms that I'm gonna have to find some players who are willing to do some actual co-op.

I completely agree with this stupidity. So I created a clan of my own, for those of you who are interested in the stealth approach to coop missions may apply to the clan or send me a friend request. I have a post on the clan recruitment page so I wont go into details here; but we have acquired several great Assassins thru the clan thread and aside from the lagging is some areas we complete our heist and coop missions with great discretion and no alarms. I look forward to seeing some applications..!!

ChargedMopar91
11-16-2014, 09:10 PM
I wasn't aware you could use your mics on random coop missions.

Aaron5588
11-16-2014, 09:44 PM
I wasn't aware you could use your mics on random coop missions.

You cannot voice chat with randoms unless you start a party with them.. which is equally useless...

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
You cannot voice chat with randoms unless you start a party with them.. which is equally useless...

Thats not true.

I used voice chat in a co-op mission without being in their party

Steelray25
11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Thats not true.

I used voice chat in a co-op mission without being in their party

Ditto.

Had a random fruitlessly trying to pick a lock well above his skill to get underground. I knew there was an open stairwell in another area and called out to him to "come over here, it's open." He ran over immediately. That, and hearing the usual music, bad mic noise, etc in other runs.

ZephyrDrake
11-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Ive played a few missions now and agree that its annoying without mics, but I for one can't use a mic right now due to the fact that the xbone controllers have a different mic port. So I have to ether spend more money on another headset which is not guaranteed to work the way I want (my partner and I went through 4 sets of "good" headphones where you either had to shout at the mic to be heard or had crappy sound on our end, before we found the perfect headset), or I have to buy an adapter, which also costs money I don't have right now as I spent all my spare money on Assassins Creed Unity and a spare controller (my BF and I share our consoles and he wanted me to play Halo MCC with him).

That, and just because people are using a mic doesn't mean they are actually playing as a team. Ive had a kid who squeaked the whole time, and heavy breather who didn't speak once, a non English speaker and several people I couldn't understand because their voice was so garbled over the mic. And several of these people didn't help in the slightest. The kid ran off without me and got himself killed, then squealed at me to revive him when I was too far away. Another guy ragequit halfway though the mission.

So yes, I'll be looking forward to being able to use my mic, but that doesn't mean I'll end up in random matches against people who are going to be helpful anymore than I would otherwise.

JCar4327
11-17-2014, 09:47 AM
@Aaron5588

What console are you on. I am on Xbox One and looking for a good squad.