PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on unity

PsychoGerbil99
11-16-2014, 11:04 AM
I left this message as a comment on the updates blog but I thought I would post it here as well so it is not missed.

Just a little background info to show that I am not a “hater” of the series. I have pre-ordered and bought most of the games and DLC in the series since it began. I have

Assassin's Creed 1 on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC,

Assassin's Creed Altair Chronicles on Nintendo DS

Assassin's Creed Bloodlines on PSP

AC2 and DLC also on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC,

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and DLC on PS3 and PC,

Assassin's Creed Rev. and DLC on PS3 and PC,

Assassin's Creed 3 and DLC on PS3 and PC,

Assassin's Creed Lib. on PS3

Assassin's Creed BF and DLC on PS3 and PC. The PS3 version being the Buccaneer edition (the one with the statue of Edward)

Assassin's Creed Rogue on PS3

I have also bought every single novel in the series, the comics and several of the action figures.

So as you can see I am quite the fan of the series and have always defended it, even the much derided ones (AC1 and AC3) as I actually loved those games and thought they were a lot of fun.

So with all this in mind in pains me to say that Assassin's Creed Unity simply sucks. It is not only by far the worst game in the entire AC franchise, it is one of the worst games on current gen consoles.

Nothing about this game works.

The combat is slow and unresponsive allowing enemies to hit you no matter how much you try to parry or dodge, heck sometimes enemies literally glide across the street while swinging their weapon to get a perfect undodgeable hit on you that is pretty much an instant kill. The parry system is a complete joke as most of the time he just swings his sword in front of him like a complete nonce even if you wait for the enemies life bar to flash gold. Even if you do manage to parry an attack one of the hundred other enemy soldiers that appear out of nowhere whenever fights start will just hit you (normally a one hit kill) and you can't stop it because you can't get off the stupid parry animation.

Being limited to one weapon in a fight is just stupid. What happened to being able to switch to your hidden blades? A dagger? Or even your bare hands? Even trying to select a projectile weapon or grenade type has been made needlessly frustrating. I have lost count the amount of times I have died trying to put on my stun grenades while also trying to fend off about 6 enemy soldiers only to keep cycling past it. What was wrong with the radial menu on which you could assign your favorite tools to whatever slot you wanted?

Also where are all the fun tools such as throwing knives or rope darts? Yes I know there is the phantom blade now but that takes so long to aim and fire that the enemy has usually spotted you and either shot you dead (another insta-kill) or hit you with his sword / axe.

Now on the rare occasion that you end up in a 1 on 1 fight then the new combat system works wonderfully. The problem is in ACU you pretty much never end up in a 1 on 1 fight, even if you try to stealth kill someone with your hidden blade all the soldiers / guards will know exactly where you are and flock to you and the new combat system just utterly fails if you have to fight 2 or more ppl at the same time.

Speaking of stealth, it was a good idea to add the cover mechanic but again it just doesn't work. Most of the time when I should be out of sight the enemies can still see me and there is nothing I can do to protect myself as Arno just refuses to unstick himself from the wall no matter how many times I press exit cover. Then, if he ever does get off the wall, it takes him about 30 seconds to draw his sword by which time I have been killed.

Neither of the combat or stealth problems are helped by the fact that just about every guard has a gun of some kind, are all perfect shots and can run faster than you can.

Basically if you see more than one guard don't engage because if you do you are DEAD.

Heck since buying this game on Friday (14th) I have died double the amount of times then in all my other AC games combined (even taking multiple platforms into account). This is totally due to the completely and utterly useless combat and stealth mechanics of the game.

Now the worst part. The free running, the part of the game that I love the most, the kept me coming back after AC1 and AC2 and which made me a devoted fan of the series. Again, like everything else it is just broken. I like the idea of the climb down button it just rarely works. I would say 90% of the time I have tried to use it Arno just does that little animation where he is about to fall of the building but stops himself (I am sure you know which one I mean) and then just refuses to climb down and if I see a haycart and try to jump into that most of the time he misses (even from view points).

Climbing up isn't much better as he sometimes refuses to reach for a handhold that is clearly within reach, he doesn't even have to jump or stretch, he just has to move his arm slightly and grab it. But no, he just sticks exactly where he is. In the time it takes for Arno to climb up on small house all the other Assassin's you play as in the series would have been up the wall, across the roof and on the other side of Paris.

Oh and don't get me started on the windows. He will either refuse to climb in the despite being directly under / in front of them or else he will climb in and immediately back out and then back in and then back out.

There was nothing wrong with the combat system or the free running or even the stealth aspects of the series, at least not until you made Unity and then it just all went to hell. Now it is just a buggy, frustrating, unplayable mess of game and makes me dread to think what the next AC game will be like.

I shall end this rant by saying two positive things about Unity

It looks gorgeous. The 1:1 recreation of Paris and the attention to detail is simply staggering. Just exploring Notre Dame or the Palais de Justice is a complete joy as it is almost like being there. So for that part of the game I have to give massive props to the developers. Just a shame that NOTHING else about the game is good.

Oh and the second praise? Well I bought the Notre Dame edition of the game on the PS4 and at least the statue of of Arno looks nice, especially next to my statue of Edward from Black Flag (Buccaneer edition).

Now I am not sure you can ix these problems as pretty much the problem is the entire game and how it has been designed so to fix it would mean to basically remake the game. That is impossible, I get that. But PLEASE, for the next Assassin's Creed game just go back to the combat and free running mechanics that had worked so well for years.

IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DO NOT FIX IT.

Reaper-59
11-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Nooooo, I hope they stay with this combat, I'm loving it, only complaint about about the combat is the enemies use their guns too much, I'm not saying it's unrealistic because it isn't, but it just takes away the fun out of sword fighting.

jasonnefs
11-16-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree with you PsychoGerbil99. I'm a aggressive fighter in all the AC games. I love the old combat system. The new combat system is frustrating. For me it takes away the fun i always had with the games.

Bigodon
11-16-2014, 11:55 AM
The combat is slow and unresponsive allowing enemies to hit you no matter how much you try to parry or dodge, heck sometimes enemies literally glide across the street while swinging their weapon to get a perfect undodgeable hit on you that is pretty much an instant kill.

agree
i create a topic avout this in just a moment ago

this is insanely annoying
and some npc dodge your bullets way more efficient tha matrix neo, lol.

steveeire
11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
My problem with the combat is camera angles, I'm forever getting hit by guys off screen, or I do be crouched and get into a fight but the camera doesn't respond quickly enough for me to see all enemies, that being said, I miss counter kill and kill chains, removing at least counter was a silly idea.

PsychoGerbil99
11-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Ya the camera is terrible as I have also died numerous times from people I didn't even know were there as the camera was at a terrible angle. I also miss the counter kills as well as the counter disarms or simple counter stuns, part of the fun of 3 and 4 was remembering which enemies were immune / vulnerable to which kind of attack while trying to keep your combo going without making a mistake. Something that I got good enough at that I would try to get as many soldiers to chase me as possible so it would end up a 20 - 30 against 1 (me) fight just to make it fair on them :p

Now if I see 3 soldiers standing together I think "oh heck" and run the opposite way because to attack them would be suicide.

Just last night I died 37 times (yes I actually counted it) on one mission because the guards would go STUN GRENADE - STAB - INSTAKILL - over and over and over and over and over. No matter how much I tried to avoid the grenades because If I manged to roll out the way of one grenade another soldier would immediately throw down another. By the end I could feel my hands tensing so much in anger that I probably came close to snapping my controller in half.

Assassin's Creed's combat should not make you feel this way. It should be fun. It shouldn't make you want to remove the game you paid £80 / $125 for and snap it in half and declare yourself done with the entire AC franchise and it shouldn't make you dread the next installment in the franchise. Because that is what this combat does.

IT IS HORRID.

Also why can't we grab people any more? If he can grab a ledge he can grab a person. Grabbing people was fun, whether it was to throw people of ledges or to knee them in the groin and headbutt them in the face. It was just part of the Assassin experience.

Also somewhat linked to being able to grab.

Enemies with guns. As stated previously pretty much all enemies have guns and they all seem to be perfect shots (with frequent 1 hit kills) so what happened to the human shield ability? Why can't I grab an enemy to act as a shield like in previous games and then immediately dispatch the offending gun man with a pistol / knife / rope dart of my own before they can reload?

The other AC games made you feel like a highly trained badass.

Unity makes you feel like an average joe who has picked up a sword and has went off to fight experts despite having no training whatsoever, something that is not very good for you health.

Oh and one final question. Why is climbing up a wall in front of a guard / soldier perfectly fine now and yet simply walking past at a brisk pace (without bumping into anyone or anything) is an offense punishable by immediate death?

steveeire
11-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Here is a tip for combat involving many enemies, use a smoke bomb then take out brute as quick as you can.

Roberto-1993-
11-16-2014, 03:11 PM
really you avoid three enemies?? i think if you are good enough you can kill even 6 enemies or at least i can, and i think that the control movements are awesome (i never failed to jump in a cart from a poin tof view o.O) the only thing that i don't like in this game are the framerate issues but they are fixable in future patch

D.I.D.
11-16-2014, 03:16 PM
It was broken, and they've done a lot to fix it.

I much prefer the way the game is now. I don't think I could go back to what it was before happily, and I was already finding it completely uninteresting to replay the older games (except Black Flag) before Unity came out.

Your complaints about the combat make flat statements about the "truth" of it, but you do realise a lot of people reading this are good at the combat versus large numbers of enemies, right? How would that be possible if it was really the way you say it is?

Being limited to one weapon in a fight is just stupid.

No, it's stupid to be out there carrying an arsenal of weapons and climbing around, but you've still got two melee weapons, two range weapons, and bombs. If you run and hide or get into cover, you can swap out for anything you like. This is good, for me. I never found it exciting to be able to browse a list of weapons at my leisure with the world paused. It kills the excitement of the game.

What happened to being able to switch to your hidden blades?

It's a tool for a specific stealth task, they never should have let you fight with it and block without getting cut to ribbons, and it was redundant as yet another blade weapon.

A dagger?

Also redundant. Why would an assassin bring a dagger? I'd be all for switching the sword for a dagger though, since the sword is a bit unwieldy. I've often wanted the game to use a protagonist in normal clothes for the period, with only the weapons that can easily be concealed in the clothing.

Or even your bare hands?

Yet more of the old game's pretend variety, that wasn't really variety at all, and another thing that made no sense.

Also where are all the fun tools such as throwing knives or rope darts? Yes I know there is the phantom blade now but that takes so long to aim and fire that the enemy has usually spotted you and either shot you dead (another insta-kill) or hit you with his sword / axe.

Very overpowered in close combat. If you want to do something similar to the throwing dagger, tap LB with the phantom blade selected (without aim).

If you're having trouble with a lot of enemies, that's by design. You're meant to run away, or find a way to deal with it. If you're surrounded, use the dodge to roll away from the pack, and use your movement to encourage them to approach you in a line.

I agree about the stealth. I've become better at dealing with it now I've figured out some of its quirks, but I hope they'll bring in the system from Watch Dogs, which is much smoother.

Heck since buying this game on Friday (14th) I have died double the amount of times then in all my other AC games combined (even taking multiple platforms into account).

Me too, and that's because I died more times from falling in the old AC games than I did from combat. I love getting killed! It's almost always my fault, and when it isn't then I learn from it and come back with a different approach. That's how good games work - they're all about experimentation and adapting your strategies. With the old games, there was very little to adapt to; you just won.