PDA

View Full Version : My reviews of ACU+ACR (Spoilers)

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
11-16-2014, 09:09 AM
First and foremost I'd like to say that these are my experiences and opinions of the game. Some of you may have a different mindset and that's fine.

I have played both Unity and Rogue extensively now, finished both stories, completed side activities etc. I'll start with Rogue

Rogue
This game was a joy for me to play from beginning to end. I enjoyed the story, Shay was interesting and the ice-ridden landscapes of the North Atlantic were beautiful. The problem with this game for me though is that it was just that, good. It wasn't great, and it didn't take any risks. For me personally I didn't mind it too much because I knew what I was getting myself into, but for others who were expecting innovation and a meaningful step forward in the franchise this is simply not the game to play. Let's analyse this game shall we:

Story:
The story for this game was definitely interesting. The believable and grounded transformation of Shay from a young brash Assassin to a dedicated Templar was a nice change to the traditional narrative set ups of the other games in the series. Shay himself was a likable protagonist, and his robes for both Assassin and Templar looked nice. While the fake Irish accents and in some cases poor voice acting brought the immersion down a bit, it was still an interesting story. It certainly isn't revolutionary by any means, but it was a nice change of pace from the usual. The side characters were enjoyable, yet again some were poorly voice acted (Gist and Hope especially). The 'enemies' of the game were interesting, and I felt an emotional impact when I had to kill some of them (Adewale especially). The writing, while not as good as Unity's was still great and better than most games, although the cliched one liners (I make my own luck) were a bit off-putting. Overall the story was interesting but not revolutionary, which is exactly what I expected.

Gameplay/Setting:
Not much to say here, because the gameplay is pretty much identical to that of AC4. Same controls and mostly same animations. It would have been nice to see some more new animations, it isn't a big deal. The ship combat, apart from a few new weapons was identical to AC4 as well. The setting for me personally was a bit bland. The ice landscapes of the North Atlantic was cool. but the River Valley and New York sections felt to similar to AC3's setting. It screamed rehash to me. The graphics were again almost identical to AC4, which is what I wanted, because they're gorgeous considering last gen systems Overall the gameplay is identical to AC4, which is acceptable but not commendable, and the setting was for the most part quite bland for me.

Sound:
The sound for this game was a mixed bag. The music was enjoyable and better than most games out there, but by no means remember able. It had good melodies for different moods, and it had some very nice reminiscent tunes in there (main theme is basically AC4+AC2). The sound of the world is nice and crisp, and quite immersive. What let down the sound for some of this game though was the voice acting of a few. Some characters had excellent voice acting (Adewale) but others sounded fake and just weird (Gist especially.) Some had awkward delivery (Hope Jensen) and the fake Irish accent of Shay was definitely noticeable. Overall the music and ambient world sound was nice, but the voice acting was a bit of a mixed bag.

Side content:
The side content was personally a bit bland. Almost no narrative side missions were present here. Just a bunch of collectibles literally everywhere. Some were fun to collect (Sea Shanties, Viking Armour, Templar Armour key etc) while others were almost pointless and monotonous (abstergo fragments). Some side content is fun such as the taverns, but for the most part the side content is really just a bunch of collectibles. The new stuff such as the Assassin Interception just didn't do it for me. It just felt bland and honestly effortless.

Verdict:
Overall Rogue was exactly what I expected it to be. Basically AC4.2. The story was interesting and the gameplay was fluid. The side content was fun at times but mostly bland. The setting had some beautiful landscapes but felt too reminiscent of AC3. The music was good but not great, and the voice acting was a mixed bag. This game overall was enjoyable, but nothing ground-breaking. My score for this game is a 7/10

Unity
This game was an absolute blast from beginning to end. The story was deep, sophisticated and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The open mission design was enjoyable and reminiscent of the AC1 days, and allows for some incredible re-playability. The co-op missions, when not being completely buggy are extremely fun and enjoyable to coordinate with friends and randoms alike, and the side content is enjoyable, whether it be the mysterious Murder Mysteries, the puzzling Nostradamus Enigmas, or the hilarious Paris Stories (the Desiree one comes to mind.) Paris is beautiful. If were not for the bugs and the amount of content locked behind outside apps, I'd honestly give this game a 10.

Story:
The story for me personally was the second best in the franchise (behind AC2). Arno Dorian was funny, admirable and overall just a fun guy to watch and play as. The side characters were brilliant, whether it be the angry Pierre Bellec, or the intelligent and forward Napoleon. The story returned to the traditional Assassin vs Templar fantasy that the earlier games had, and the pacing of the game is commendable. I had a strong urge to kill most of the villains, and the ones that turned out to be innocent (Lefreniere) I felt shocked and upset. The many plot twists (the death of Mirabeau) kept you guessing what happens next, and the story had deep themes of belonging and fanaticism. The voice acting further helped the immersion, being top notch as always. The British accents were jarring at first, but you quickly get use to them. The modern day was subtle, and even though I would have liked to see more progression there, was was there was intruiging and interesting, and the many database entries referencing Abstergo were funny and thought-provoking. Overall the plot was strong, the pacing was excellent, the characters were enjoyable (although I do wish they used Napoleon more). The voice acting was strong and overall the story side of the game was in my opinion the second best yet.

Gameplay/Setting:
The gameplay here again was high-quality stuff. The combat was actually a challenge now, which is a refreshing change from the last 2 games where you were a one man army. I felt compelled to use the deep stealth mechanics, and the parkour is fluid and cinematic when exploring the beautiful Paris and Versailles. The strong level/mission design does little to conflict with this either. The 'open-ness' of the missions are a welcome return to form from the linear AC3. The motion capture for Arno's animations was excellent, and looked realistic yet supernatural at the same time, often performing some impressive acrobatic manouvres. The extensive customisation in this game further deepends the experience with custom skill trees, weapons, gear and tools, all of which have unique effects, both visually and physically.
Paris and Versailles are absolutely stunning in this game. Not only the graphics, but the attention to detail here is staggering. The impressive scale of the buildings immerses you in a way that simply wasn't possible in the older games, and the beautiful interiors help make this a through and through experience (pun intended). The variety of Paris (the aristocratic districts, the country side, the poorer districts) all have different themes, ambiance, and architecture. I know it sounds like I'm kissing Ubi's *** at the moment but Paris is truly one of the best urban settings I have seen in gaming. The crowds are lifelike, even though the occasional pop-in can be jarring. Overall the setting here is one of Unity's strongest points, and the gameplay is fluid, smooth and deep.

Sound:
Firstly, the music in this game is excellent. The beautiful classical music of Sarah Schachner misxed with the orchestral cinematic pieces of Chris Tilton make for a terrific soundtrack. Whether it be the ambient music that plays in missions or the emotional/orchestral music in cutscenes, they not only accompany what's happening on screen, but enhance it. The voice acting is very solid here as well. Both Arno, Elise and all main characters throughout the game are well voice-acted. Despite the sometimes jarring British accents, the voice acting is strong here. The sound of the world is also good. This is an audio masterpiece. The crowd life, the hammering of wood, footsteps, ruffling of clothes, the sound of fire crackling is all superb here. Overall the sound department for Unity is strong and thankful. Assassin' Creed has always had strong sound, but Unity does wonders to enhance this even further.

Side Content:
There is an overwhelming amount to do here. Once you have finished the 15-20 hour campaign, you are introduced to a plethora of things to do. There is a large amount of co-op content, whether it be the historical story focused Brotherhood missions or the arcade like Heist missions, all of them are enjoyable to play. There are also literally hundreds of side-quests as well. Murder Mysteries are interesting and really compell you to think about motive, time and ability of the suspects put in front of you. The Nostradamus Enigmas serve as a challenge for the more intellectual of the fanbase with complex riddles, and the Paris Stories are an additional layer of history to this 18th Century recreation of Paris. The only minor dissapointment here is the collectibles, and specifically the chests. While most of them are accessible in game, there are quite a few that can only be accessed with an initiates account. That's one of the only flaws I can find with this game. There is a lot of content here locked behind an outside application. Companion Apps, Initiates account, club competition, uPlay etc. It has become just too much and is extremely annoying. Overall the side content is strong, but the requirement for some content of outside apps will annoy many.

Verdict:
This game is overall a bit of a masterpiece. The story is sophisticated, deep and interesting, the gameplay is enjoyable and fluid and the extensive customisation helps to make my experience feel unique. The beautiful recreation of Paris and Versailles, accompanied by an excellent classical soundtrack makes this the most immersive Assassin's Creed yet. Overall this is the AC I have been wanting for a long time. A return to traditional AC gameplay, and here I got that and then some.The only problems I encountered with the game is the occasional performance issues and the pre-requisites for some content. Sometimes in a large crowd my fps will dip into the low 20s (I play on PS4), and much of the chests, and some gear is locked behind Initiates, Companion App and other sorts, which is definitely annoying, and does bring my score of the game down a bit. My final score for this game is a 9/10. If it weren't for the occasional performance issues and the outside influence of apps I probably would have given this game a 9.5, maybe a 10.

Feel free to post your thoughts/criticisms below, and remember that these are just my experiences of the game. I know people have mentioned lots of bugs, but I personally have encountered virtually none.

Fatal-Feit
11-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Fantastic reviews. Nice and detailed, I agree with most of your points. :)

X_xWolverinEx_X
11-16-2014, 09:34 AM
shay did have a few unique animations .. i would give rogue an 8.4 and unity an n/a until everything is fixed

king-hailz
11-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Good review. I also enjoyed how unity got back to the templars vs assassin's! Game play wise...

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I think you're being somewhat unfair to Rogue but I'm a believer in game conservativism. Specifically, if a game is FUN you don't need to change it. This philosophy, of course, has given us the endless number of Call of Duty clones but has also been the core of why we have so damned MANY Assassin's Creed games.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue is a well-done steak and potatoes game. It gives you an Assassin Creed experience based on the elements we liked from previous games brough together with a strong storyline.

Is it innovative? No, it's Assassin's Creed: Black Flag which was Assassin's Creed 3 with more pirate ship.

Is it awesome?

Yes.

TMS-GAMERS
11-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Please how i can unlock Altair , Ezio , Edward , Shay & Conner outfits in Assassin's Creed Unity ? please Help me

boosho
11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
I agree with you on everything you said about Unity, my favourite thing is how the side missions have been handled even if a lot of them involve doing the same things over and over again, they felt fresher and having a narrative made them more interesting.

Personally I didnt like Rogue very much. I was looking forward to it because I liked the idea of being on the other side of the fence and in many ways that worked, but it felt like a mash up of AC3 and ACBF with a different skin; plus it was way too short for a standalone game. But my biggest issue with the game is how it felt like all they did was swap the role of assassins and templars, especially with how the assassins were made to be so evil. For example the fact that the assassins were all of a sudden gangs who were terrorizing New York. At no point in any prior or post assassins history has had ever happened so why now just so they would be the bad guys and the templars are the good guys. I felt they way this was handled without proper any explanations felt off. Specially when you consider that a few years later Connor comes along and the assassins are there to save the world again.