PDA

View Full Version : So what does everyone think of Unity's difficulty?

SpiritMuse
11-16-2014, 02:28 AM
What do you think, is it too easy, too difficult, or just right?

DEADP5YCH0
11-16-2014, 02:36 AM
More difficult than older games that's for sure.

Those assassination missions, you can't really run through there and expect to do it. Enemies are harder, might be due to long weapons, then there are also guns shooting at you and those are killers if you don't notice them.

I quite liked the challenge

Fatal-Feit
11-16-2014, 02:36 AM
A LOT BETTER THAN THE PAST GAMES!

But overall, it's moderate. The game gets easy once you've progressed mid-way. I honestly wish the upgrades didn't make Arno so OP. I mean, in the beginning, when 1/2 hits/shots killed you and you were limited to 2-3 health potions, it was fun, but after about 7-8 hours of progression, with good equipment/upgrades and near ample supplies, combat becomes a chore, as you can't die and enemies are more of a nuisance to kill.

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 02:39 AM
The combat is hard as hell sometimes IMO.

Its better to have more of a challenge (for once) but it gets frustrating at times.

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 02:43 AM
The combat is hard as hell sometimes IMO.

Its better to have more of a challenge (for once) but it gets frustrating at times.

Inb4 filthy casual

This sounds great, I think I'm going to enjoy actually needing to avoid combat - going to do minimal combat upgrades fo sho.

EmptyCrustacean
11-16-2014, 02:45 AM
I like it. Places so much emphasis on stealth, and you have to find more creative ways of assassinating enemies.
The only thing I don't like is that in combat sometimes enemies go out of camera focus and therefore you can't see their jabs in order to counter it.
I don't know if that was deliberate from Ubisoft to make it more realistic but it's annoying.

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Ideally, it's good to push players towards stealth, but the stealth is so unreliable it's frustrating.

And there's almost no point in even having a branch of combat to expand on in the skill tree when engaging in combat will almost always get you killed on missions.

Fatal-Feit
11-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Mayrice, y u such filthy casul.

Cptjimdandy
11-16-2014, 02:55 AM
I enjoy that its more difficult than, say, AC4. You can easily find yourself in over your head if you attempt to high a difficulty area or mission that you're not ready for.

Depending on what district you're in, the Loyalists and Extremists can be quite a bit more challenging and difficult to defeat. Adding to the difficulty, unfortunately, is the choppy, laggy, low-framerate fighting scenes which can render a coherent fight strategy useless. How come AC4 flows so well and ACU falls flat on its face? I'm stunned.

I so want this game to come out right. I really like the stories and the districts and the challenge levels.

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Ideally, it's good to push players towards stealth, but the stealth is so unreliable it's frustrating.

And there's almost no point in even having a branch of combat to expand on in the skill tree when engaging in combat will almost always get you killed on missions.

Yeah but presumably if you upgrade the combat branch combat gets easier? That would be the point in it being there.

rprkjj
11-16-2014, 02:57 AM
The way I play, 2-3 guys are a walk in the park, that's when I get the feeling of wrecking shop. It's when it gets above that mark that I start getting damaged, but usually a chain reaction occurs where I'm getting mobbed by 10+ guys. At that moment, I absolutely have to run or it's practically guaranteed that I'll die. I found the health upgrades to be useful for taking shots as you flee, 1 or 2 health upgrades sufficed for my playstyle. Overall, it's definitely my favorite so far. Eliminating counter-kills frees up the combat so much, the archetypes actually make you approach them differently, and timing is actually a required skill.

ace3001
11-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Combat was a lot more satisfying in AC3 and AC4, where the combat really shined, despite not being very challenging.
Here, I got into the habit of throwing down a smoke bomb and then cutting the enemies up quickly, which got rid of any challenge entirely. They also brought back medicine for some reason which makes it further easier.
And after the end of the story, the Sword of Eden can make quick work of most enemies without any necessity of parrying or dodging, so then it gets even easier.
So yeah, pretty weak.
But I don't really mind that much since I don't play AC games for the combat. Too bad that some of the things that I play AC for are also wrecked in this game.

DumbGamerTag94
11-16-2014, 03:14 AM
I chose far too difficult to be enjoyable. And here's why:

It's not that the story or the actual gameplay itself is that difficult. But where the"too difficult to be enjoyable" comes in to play is with the damn CO-OP missions. These were promised to be doable solo. But in the more difficult ones like the women's march it is virtually impossible to do solo(at least I haven't been able to do it yet) unless maybe you're at an insanely high level(which is really odd in the women's march case because that mission technically should be the first in relation to Arno's story line).

I just find these very very frustrating and we were promised they would be doable alone.

And even worse. What happens to these missions years from now when I wan to replay the game????? Nobody will be playing co op. And some of those missions are just plain unbearable by yourself. So essentially over time this game will shrink as I won't be able to play some missions in the future.

I hope they water down those missions in a year or two so that they will actually be playable solo when the crowds aren't online to play ACU(which probably won't take very long since the co op isn't anything special at all).

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 03:20 AM
It doesn't LOOK hard...

Though my opinion could change when I play...so far it's as simple as the first games with added tweaks here and there.

But don't talk what I'm saying seriously though.

boosho
11-16-2014, 03:53 AM
I actually liked the easiness of previous AC games, I tend to play for the stories, but I'm enjoying how difficult the combat is in this game.. It definitely puts emphasis on stealth, but its just a matter of pressing the crouch button and done no, you have actually to scout the place get rid of snipers, etc,, so you need to prepare before you go in.. I'm enjoying it..

I chose far too difficult to be enjoyable. And here's why:

It's not that the story or the actual gameplay itself is that difficult. But where the"too difficult to be enjoyable" comes in to play is with the damn CO-OP missions. These were promised to be doable solo. But in the more difficult ones like the women's march it is virtually impossible to do solo(at least I haven't been able to do it yet) unless maybe you're at an insanely high level(which is really odd in the women's march case because that mission technically should be the first in relation to Arno's story line).

I just find these very very frustrating and we were promised they would be doable alone.

And even worse. What happens to these missions years from now when I wan to replay the game????? Nobody will be playing co op. And some of those missions are just plain unbearable by yourself. So essentially over time this game will shrink as I won't be able to play some missions in the future.

I hope they water down those missions in a year or two so that they will actually be playable solo when the crowds aren't online to play ACU(which probably won't take very long since the co op isn't anything special at all).

I have agree about the difficulty of Co-Op they are quite difficult alone, even the star/diamond rating is different a 2 diamond mission feels more like a 5 diamond. I dont know how easier they would be if done with other people.

xbl_xtro1
11-16-2014, 04:11 AM
i think it's well balanced. it's forces you to be more stealthy and retreat from combat when it gets too tough to strike the enemy from another angle which is cool. I went through the whole campaign without upgrading my health. only stealth and combat.

the progression in difficulty and your abilities is good.

ace3001
11-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Just finished Women's March solo. That was a really fun mission.

http://i.imgur.com/sm1kO46.jpg

The early "defend" bit was tough as hell at first, but after a few failures, I realized that the key to clearing that bit when playing solo is rushing ahead and clearing out the enemies before the two women get there.
The coop missions are really well made overall. Looks like they put a lot of effort into making those compared to the SP missions. Too bad performance becomes even worse when playing online.

DumbGamerTag94
11-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Just finished Women's March solo. That was a really fun mission.

http://i.imgur.com/sm1kO46.jpg

The early "defend" bit was tough as hell at first, but after a few failures, I realized that the key to clearing that bit when playing solo is rushing ahead and clearing out the enemies before the two women get there.
The coop missions are really well made overall. Looks like they put a lot of effort into making those compared to the SP missions. Too bad performance becomes even worse when playing online.

Yes you beat it solo but you have a ton of upgrades and the sword of Eden

As I said it's not just something you can jump into. It requires a massive amount of upgrades and such. Basically meaning that you have to beat the campaign first to beat it solo(and even then it's rather tough). You can't just casually jump into them on a whim during the story(the harder ones anyway).

And if you want to play them in context to Arno's story. Women's march would be his first brotherhood assignment in 1789. But at that point in the campaign you're definitely not high enough skill levels to even attempt that mission solo.

ace3001
11-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Yes you beat it solo but you have a ton of upgrades and the sword of Eden

As I said it's not just something you can jump into. It requires a massive amount of upgrades and such. Basically meaning that you have to beat the campaign first to beat it solo(and even then it's rather tough). You can't just casually jump into them on a whim during the story(the harder ones anyway).

And if you want to play them in context to Arno's story. Women's march would be his first brotherhood assignment in 1789. But at that point in the campaign you're definitely not high enough skill levels to even attempt that mission solo.Well, to be fair, it's a 5 diamond mission. You can't expect to jump into those at that point even if just SP missions.

DumbGamerTag94
11-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Well, to be fair, it's a 5 diamond mission. You can't expect to jump into those at that point even if just SP missions.
Yeah but that's kind of my point though.
These missions aren't all that important to the Arno-Elise main story. However they do provide much historical context and get the mood of the era and such.

What I mean to say is that I don't understand why they did them they way they did. It seems to me the events that occurred earlier in Arno's career should be the easiest 2 daimomd missions. As these were Arno's entry level assignments they should be yours as well.

And so on they should have gotten harder the farther forward in time and in Arno's life the missions are.

I hope I'm making sense here. I just don't like how you can be 4-5 sequences into the main story and you're in 1791. But the only co op missions you are good enough to do solo if you wish are all the way in 1794 and aren't referenced at all in the dialogues, cafés, newspapers and world around you.

It's just odd and irritating to me. As I like to keep story continuity and chronology straight. Skipping around from 1789 to 1794 to 1792 and back to 89 again is just irritating to me. And just a strange design decision to me.

It just seems those missions should have gotten more challenging in relation to how skilled Arno would have been at the time.

In other words Women's march should be the easiest and The Infernal Machine should be hardest. If it were done my way.
Know what I mean?

ace3001
11-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Yeah but that's kind of my point though.
These missions aren't all that important to the Arno-Elise main story. However they do provide much historical context and get the mood of the era and such.

What I mean to say is that I don't understand why they did them they way they did. It seems to me the events that occurred earlier in Arno's career should be the easiest 2 daimomd missions. As these were Arno's entry level assignments they should be yours as well.

And so on they should have gotten harder the farther forward in time and in Arno's life the missions are.

I hope I'm making sense here. I just don't like how you can be 4-5 sequences into the main story and you're in 1791. But the only co op missions you are good enough to do solo if you wish are all the way in 1794 and aren't referenced at all in the dialogues, cafés, newspapers and world around you.

It's just odd and irritating to me. As I like to keep story continuity and chronology straight. Skipping around from 1789 to 1794 to 1792 and back to 89 again is just irritating to me. And just a strange design decision to me.

It just seems those missions should have gotten more challenging in relation to how skilled Arno would have been at the time.

In other words Women's march should be the easiest and The Infernal Machine should be hardest. If it were done my way.
Know what I mean?
Yeah, that certainly makes sense. Guess they didn't think of chronology when making the coop missions.

playlisting
11-16-2014, 05:55 AM
The difficulty is perfect. I've died a few times due to carelessness. In the old games I would of been able to just kill everyone but the more challenging combat makes that tough if there's more than 4 or 5. It rewards people that take their time and think about what they're going to do before they do it. It's awesome sitting up above observing and planning and no one knows you're there. Really makes you feel like a badass assassin.

Also - this finally means that people use smoke bombs! I use them in all the Assassin's Creeds, but watching gameplay it seems like no one else does. Unity promotes evasion rather than full combat.

So the gist of it is:

Take your time and play smart: rewarded
Rush in blindly and mess up: punished

Good job Ubi :D