PDA

View Full Version : Time to unleash Darby and Ashraf again?

Sushiglutton
11-15-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm doing a BF campaign replay to comfort myself for my insufficient PC-spec lol. The game is still great and I'm more convinced than ever that it's the best in the series.

Just playing the campaign (I replay it memory by memory) has allowed me to focus more on the writing and I'm kind of blown away by how excellent it is. Every single dialogue has some line that sort of stands out and is memorable. I've got no clue if the sort of English they speak is accurate for the time period, but it sure sounds very believable to me and I think AC4, more than any other game in the franchise, really has its own voice. It's poetic even. I also think the writing nails the tone. Lighthearted pirate shenanigans are mixed with much darker notes and genuinely emotional moments.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Darby is a freaking geniuses and the best writer AC has got (possibly the best writer in all of gaming). I really, really wish I could write like that instead of my dull Swenglish lol.

Another thing that amazes me with BF is how the heck Ubi were able to bounce back from AC3 to create such a great game. That ofc has a lot to do with the game director Ashraf. He was able to take the rubble AC3 left and create something amazing out of it. It's still a miracle to me. Lifting the stealth to solid ground, introducing a sound progression system, a renewed focus on open area infiltration missions contrasted with bombastic naval, understanding the vital importance of seamless transition between on-foot and naval gameplay which lifts the whole experience. So many great priorities were made.

This is a long-ish post, but what I want to say is pretty short: Isn't time for Ubi to unleash Darby and Ash and let them save the franchise once more? Give them enough time, money and creative freedom to buld a true masterpiece :D!

SixKeys
11-15-2014, 08:45 PM
AC4's story still doesn't do much for me. It's better than Revelations, but not really something that compels me to replay it over and over like most AC games have. The gameplay is solid, but the characters - with the exception of Edward and Mary Read - are so dull. Darby is good at creating memorable scenes but not characters. "Parting Glass" and Blackbeard's death somehow manage to be emotional scenes despite the characters being boring as hell.

As for saving the franchise, Unity is currently a strong contender for my favorite AC of all time (technical issues notwithstanding). If anything can save this franchise, it's the elimination of yearly releases and focus on better playtesting. Story- and gameplay-wise it's doing just fine.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2014, 09:11 PM
No.

marvelfannumber
11-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who liked AC3 more than AC4. I don't know why but AC4 just did not do much for me.

You may feel free to execute me now gents.

Sushiglutton
11-15-2014, 09:30 PM
AC4's story still doesn't do much for me. It's better than Revelations, but not really something that compels me to replay it over and over like most AC games have. The gameplay is solid, but the characters - with the exception of Edward and Mary Read - are so dull. Darby is good at creating memorable scenes but not characters. "Parting Glass" and Blackbeard's death somehow manage to be emotional scenes despite the characters being boring as hell.

As for saving the franchise, Unity is currently a strong contender for my favorite AC of all time (technical issues notwithstanding). If anything can save this franchise, it's the elimination of yearly releases and focus on better playtesting. Story- and gameplay-wise it's doing just fine.

I agree that Edward and Mary Read are the two best characters of the game, but I don't find the rest as dull as you do. Ofc there's an issue in all these games that each individual character gets very little screentime. I mean they need to produce enough tagrets for us to kill off. But I think that for examle Hornigold is a great villain. I don't think Darby would be lacking in the character development department if he had more freedom to control the size of the cast.

No.

Yes!

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who liked AC3 more than AC4. I don't know why but AC4 just did not do much for me.

You may feel free to execute me now gents.

Everyone's free to their own opinion even when it's wrong ;)

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Darby is a freaking geniuses and the best writer AC has got.

Well, if you exclude his way of handling the MD, then yes I would put him up there in top AC writers. But he, along with Corey May and all the other writers ofc, have some elements in the story i question sometimes.

That being said yes he is very talented. I just don't trust him with the MD. (I wasn't a fan of BF's story. But I did enjoy Embers and Revelations to an extent)

I hardly know anything about Ash tho.

PedroAntonio2
11-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Well, if you exclude his way of handling the MD, then yes I would put him up there in top AC writers. But he, along with Corey May and all the other writers ofc, have some elements in the story i question sometimes.

That being said yes he is very talented. I just don't trust him with the MD. (I wasn't a fan of BF's story. But I did enjoy Embers and Revelations to an extent)

I hardly know anything about Ash tho.

Well, they never gave him a proper storyline to work with in the MD, in Revelations Desmond was in a coma and in IV we played as a research analyst. But still...I love Revelations' MD, Clay is my favorite character in the franchise and he made the most memorable quote for me '' What is the man but the sum of his memories ? We are the stories we live! The tales we tell ourselves!''

I think if they ever return with a MD protagonist, Darby could handle it. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
they never gave him a proper storyline to work with in the MD

Doesn't he dictate the storyline in the first place (with other writers ofc)?

And maybe... Darby expressed it's hard for him to write someone like desmond in a loomer podcast. w/ reasons to go back into animus and such.