PDA

View Full Version : Need to bring back a modern day protagonist

steveeire
11-15-2014, 08:01 PM
One of the biggest problems I had with Unity (bar Helix points) was the lack of the Modern day protagonist, I hate the whole Initiate thing I just couldn't connect with it at all, like/dislike Desmond everybody was at least interested in seeing where his plot line was going and even the the floating Ipad was better than the Initiate idea, so yeah please give us some decent modern day stuff.

So agree/disagree opinions?

Sigv4rd
11-15-2014, 08:54 PM
They either need to drop Modern Day entirely or flesh it out with a relevant narrative...

dxsxhxcx
11-15-2014, 09:03 PM
IMO the MD sequences could be all cutscenes like ACU's as long as we follow someone' story like we did with Desmond. I just hate how out of place I feel playing as "myself" since AC4...

or like suggested above, just drop it once and for all what would be much better than what we currently have now..

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I’m with you. We need a modern day protagonist. We need a better gameplay and more progress that happens in the MD section, per game. Let the modern day be more than just an excuse to visit the past. Give it a story, give it meaning and make it fun. Don’t cut it off because to me, it’s half a game without MD. Let’s just drop the Animus-as-a-gaming-console or film footage source crap.

Sushiglutton
11-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Just drop it entirely, not needed. It's just another complication for a franchsie that is currently biting off more than it can chew. It's a no brainer simplification to cut MD and focus on telling great historical stories!

Landruner
11-15-2014, 09:38 PM
ASH YES! ... Darby? NO!

They need to build a modern story that flies around the the fact they abandonned the modern days - that is going to be hard to come with something new and ingenious to make people re- enjoy it again...

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't think it's a protagonist that's the problem anymore.

Rogue and Unity spoilers:

Unity had a good set up with the MD at the beginning. Then it just....vanished.....

Rogue had a nice intro of that weird templar in the MD and his fixation of Shay. But I'd like to know more about him and his plans.

Overall, MD has been getting great lore added but has all this foreshadow and build up that leads to NOTHING.

It's underwhelming, really.

hate the whole Initiate thing I just couldn't connect with it at all, like/dislike Desmond everybody was at least interested in seeing where his plot line was going and even the the floating Ipad was better than the Initiate idea

Agreed tho!

Being called an initiate offends me. I gag every time I hear it.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 09:48 PM
We need the modern day protagonist back because there are still unanswered questions. The Desmond story is not over, as what Ubisoft said, and Juno is still floating about. That is a cliff hanger with no ending.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 09:55 PM
At long as I can stare at Bishop, i'll be fine. :p

But yes, they need a new MD Protagonist. Either let us make up our own, or insert someone like Galina or something.

Though if they don't, it won't bother me as much.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Oh god anyone but Galina.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh god anyone but Galina.

We haven't even known/heard her yet... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 10:02 PM
We haven't even known/heard her yet... :rolleyes:

I know but....

she's from initiates

PedroAntonio2
11-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I really doubt they will ever give us a satisfying plot with Modern Day. I'm playing Rogue and I like Otso Berg, he is one of my favorite characters in the series so far. But...I thin we need a new protagonist, someone with a name, a face and a personality.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 10:39 PM
I know but....

she's from initiates

Otso Berg was from initiates...look what happened there.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Otso Berg was from initiates...look what happened there.

What happens is now there's a lot of info AC fans who like Otso wont know unless they look up initiates. Which is stupid.

I like Otso but probably won't get to know all about him in any later installment. It leaves players in the dark.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 11:02 PM
What happens is now there's a lot of info AC fans who like Otso wont know unless they look up initiates. Which is stupid.

I like Otso but probably won't get to know all about him in any later installment. It leaves players in the dark.

Hmm...I guess you have a point.

I liked Cross, but I had the look up/read the comic/wiki to know more about him.

And I was like >__>

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Hmm...I guess you have a point.

I liked Cross, but I had the look up/read the comic/wiki to know more about him.

And I was like >__>

now you understand my distaste for initiates and forced digital transmedia in general.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 11:05 PM
now you understand my distaste for initiates and forced digital transmedia in general.

I understood a long time ago... :rolleyes:

SaphironX
11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Please do NOT bring back a modern day protagonist. No more aliens, no more press x to win apple of Eden crap, just keep it historical and intersting.

Desmond sucked. He only ever interrupted the fun stuff.

PedroAntonio2
11-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Please do NOT bring back a modern day protagonist. No more aliens, no more press x to win apple of Eden crap, just keep it historical and intersting.

Desmond sucked. He only ever interrupted the fun stuff.

'' Dezzzzzmond sucks huur durr''

wickywoowoo
11-16-2014, 12:55 AM
There were no aliens....

MakimotoJin
11-16-2014, 01:00 AM
I would like a protagonist in MD and more progression on Juno.That'd be great.

wickywoowoo
11-16-2014, 01:04 AM
I would like a protagonist in MD and more progression on Juno.That'd be great.

I would compromise on the protagonist part - I can do without a new Desmond if we just get more Modern Day stuff. The format of Black Flag would do me fine if the story moved on more. Maybe in 2015, they can do a total historical game for next gen and a modern day based game for last gen?

Rugterwyper32
11-16-2014, 01:15 AM
Frankly? I believe we'd be better off without modern day in the games. Or Black Flag style. It's not that it's half a game without modern day, it's that it's one proper game. Modern day has slowly been moved to other media, and I honestly feel it'll be less of a disaster if moved to one or two things at most. Make it mainly comics, I'd say. Whatever they do, though, for the love of everything that's good in this world, no modern day based games. Though a separate, minor title wouldn't be too bad, but preferably portable. I'd prefer them to go back to one major game a year for the time being as it is.

Sigv4rd
11-16-2014, 02:06 AM
They should have a different modern protagonist per game.

IMO this is how it should have been
AC1: Desmond in Abstergo reliving Altair's memories
AC2/B/R: Clay/Subject 16 reliving Ezio's memories
AC3: Daniel Cross or some new guy reliving the memories of Haytham and Connor

MakimotoJin
11-16-2014, 02:57 AM
I would compromise on the protagonist part - I can do without a new Desmond if we just get more Modern Day stuff. The format of Black Flag would do me fine if the story moved on more. Maybe in 2015, they can do a total historical game for next gen and a modern day based game for last gen?

I'm gonna have to stop you right here.I can't buy a next-gen console right now,and I don't want a modern day only AC.

Fatal-Feit
11-16-2014, 03:01 AM
They should have a different modern protagonist per game.

IMO this is how it should have been
AC1: Desmond in Abstergo reliving Altair's memories
AC2/B/R: Clay/Subject 16 reliving Ezio's memories
AC3: Daniel Cross or some new guy reliving the memories of Haytham and Connor

AC:U - Galina relives Arno's memories

wvstolzing
11-16-2014, 03:06 AM
I really wonder how MD looks to a *total newcomer* now. Anyone willing to give an account?

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 03:23 AM
AC:U - Galina relives Arno's memories

THAT would've been so much better...

She wouldn't even need to be related to him to do it.