PDA

View Full Version : Just some thoughts concerning AC Unity and FC4

NoSpaxX
11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
I was wondering why Ubisoft decided to launch a game like AC Unity in its current state with all those bugs and glitches just a week before the release of Farcry 4. Do they not have to suppose that this might damage FC4 sales? I think there is only one answer for this: FC4 is probably even worse than AC Unity. I therefore cancelled my pre-order and I hope that many will follow my example. Just a thought...

Sum1betterthnU
11-15-2014, 02:32 PM
See? No one cares.

silverfall1986
11-15-2014, 02:42 PM
wouldn't get fc4 anyway. The story was B-grade syfy movie quality in fc3, and also if you've seen gameplay of fc4 it is an exact replica of 3, same exact animations even.... the only thing that is different is the actual visual interpretation of the setting the game takes place in. That's the only thing that's different.

Atv was the same, hang glider same, reload animation on different skinned gun same, skinning same. Also the 2 player co-op is just lame. If it was 4 players I might have actually been interested.

My opinion aside, it does seem like a poor business practice to release a game that is flawed or shouldn't have been released and then to release something new shortly afterwards.

AbundantCores
11-15-2014, 04:26 PM
FC4 is the game that i'm really interested in, i really enjoyed FC3, if FC4 runs anything like ACU i will be livid, lets hope Ubisoft learn something from the bad press they are getting with ACU and make FC4 run like a dream. even if they delay it for a while to sort it.

If they can do that they will redeem themselves.

Scottoest
11-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Reviews of FarCry 4 have been mostly positive. The fact that they allowed reviews before the game came out, as opposed to AC Unity, which was unconscionably embargoed until 12 hours AFTER the game came out, should probably tell you that they have way more confidence in FarCry 4.

Frankly, I'm still waiting for the gaming press to question Ubisoft on exactly what their thinking was, on embargoing reviews for a game until half a day after it was released. I'd love to hear what the official company line is, aside from "we wanted to hoodwink the first waves of trusting customers, before they could hear how broken and unsatisfying the game is".

I'd also love to know why the entire gaming press didn't collectively push back against such a ridiculous precedent.

AbundantCores
11-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Reviews of FarCry 4 have been mostly positive. The fact that they allowed reviews before the game came out, as opposed to AC Unity, which was unconscionably embargoed until 12 hours AFTER the game came out, should probably tell you that they have way more confidence in FarCry 4.

Frankly, I'm still waiting for the gaming press to question Ubisoft on exactly what their thinking was, on embargoing reviews for a game until half a day after it was released. I'd love to hear what the official company line is, aside from "we wanted to hoodwink the first waves of trusting customers, before they could hear how broken and unsatisfying the game is".

I'd also love to know why the entire gaming press didn't collectively push back against such a ridiculous precedent.

Initial Reviews of ACU were also positive.

strigoi1958
11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm enjoying Unity and haven't found a glitch yet apart from the occasional flickering line on a wall that looks like light through a crack.... As long as FC4 can get close to how good FC3 was I will be happy... the game was epic regardless of whatever some may say against FC3... it was a great game but what made it even better were the characters like Vaas, Buck, Dennis, Hurk, Citra and Sam Ja FC4 "Now, I am happy again" (in my best German accent)

Even the NPC's have some great lines...

Scottoest
11-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Initial Reviews of ACU were also positive.

That... is not true. Reviews have ranged anywhere from 4/10 to 7/10, from what I've seen. The user score on Metacritic is 2/10 currently. There is no regular metacritic score yet, for some reason, though the two reviews listed are in the high 60s and low 70s, respectively.

soccer06
11-16-2014, 04:49 AM

The problem is that all of those reviews have been on console. Not a single review has been of the PC version. Ubisoft has refused to give out the code so people can review the PC version. Which suggests that they are aware that the PC version is poorly optimized. So if you're getting it for console, don't worry. But if you're thinking of getting it for PC (like me), I would hold off on buying it until PC reviews are out.

similarly
11-16-2014, 05:09 AM
I've actually been having a blast playing ACU. The only problem I had was with rewards and actions not synching properly, but that was fixed a day or two ago. Since then, it's been running beautifully for me.

I also REALLY enjoyed FC3. I thought it was an awesome game. So I'm looking forwards to FC4. If it's the same: cool. Introducing too many changes too quickly can lead to problems.

I--Skeptik--I
11-16-2014, 05:14 AM
I was wondering why Ubisoft decided to launch a game like AC Unity in its current state with all those bugs and glitches just a week before the release of Farcry 4. Do they not have to suppose that this might damage FC4 sales? I think there is only one answer for this: FC4 is probably even worse than AC Unity. I therefore cancelled my pre-order and I hope that many will follow my example. Just a thought...

Simply put, Ubisoft does not care, they are all about money and they have been for a while now. FC4 will be just as big of an abortion as ACBF, Watch_Dogs and ACU were at launch. Let's get some prespective here. Watch_Dogs has been out since May and Ubi still hasn't fixed it yet, but they got your money, so that's all they care about. ACBF still suffers from poor optimization to this day, but they got your money so that's all they care about.

It's not the dev's fault, it's the corrupt money hungry bags of d0uche that keep pressing the deadline so they can maximize profit so a handful of the "higher-ups" at Ubisoft can finally have enough of your money to put in that gold plated, diamond encrusted, Olympic sized swimming pool for their third wife.

This company has not been about quality since....I don't even know when (that's how long it's been).

If I were you, I would immediately cancel any pre-orders you have for FC4, not to mention The Crew, The Division and whatever else Ubi is going to try and excrete months before it's ready. Because history just keeps on repeating itself with this company, it hasn't changed in God knows how long, so why would it start now?

Ubi now has a steady reputation of releasing games much, much too early (not to mention they are abysmal at optimizing their own games). Not to mention that hold they put on the whole reviewers embargo for 12 hours after it was already launched, because even they knew that the game was nowhere near ready and they didn't want the bad reviews affecting their sales (because all they care about is...say it with me....your money). You didn't say it with me..... Anyways, that was the last "nail in the coffin"

It's such a damn shame too, All of these games have such great potential to be epic, but "Greed Conquers All"

Drummerboy1962
11-16-2014, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=NoSpaxX;10341389]I was wondering why Ubisoft decided to launch a game like AC Unity in its current state with all those bugs and glitches just a week before the release of Farcry 4. Do they not have to suppose that this might damage FC4 sales? I think there is only one answer for this: FC4 is probably even worse than AC Unity. I therefore cancelled my pre-order and I hope that many will follow my example. Just a thought...[ Unity has got to be the worst game for optimization that i have ever come across. I already sent my copy back and have been refunded. I spent my money on shadow of mordor and have not looked back. My opinion of unity as far as a game that most of the gaming community can play is that it is a pile of crap and the makers should be jailed.This game should have never been released for download in its condition.I certainly aint a charity organization.

iceygricey87
11-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Honestly, I think the reason they delayed the game, was due to the entire "Gamer Escapade" that has been floating around the internet. Instead of letting the reviewers give reviews, they placed a gag-order on them, so that the gamers could make judgements for themselves.

In spite of what the Cynical Brit believes, Ubisoft can do whatever they want. Watch_Dogs was clearly over-hyped and under polished. So to counteract their past mistake, they under-hyped this game. That and people were playing the illegal copy of Watch_Dogs a week before launch, which kind of ruined it for me. I for one, am actually quite happy they placed an embargo on the game.

If Ubisoft used OpenGL, instead of DirectX, this game would have been 95% better on opening day. Plus their consumer margins would have been much broader (Linux gamers).

Just my thoughts, however. Take them as you will. :rolleyes:

I--Skeptik--I
11-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Well said icy.

RazorHair
11-16-2014, 07:13 AM
I canceled my FC4 preorder thanks ubi

Scottoest
11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I think the reason they delayed the game, was due to the entire "Gamer Escapade" that has been floating around the internet. Instead of letting the reviewers give reviews, they placed a gag-order on them, so that the gamers could make judgements for themselves.

In spite of what the Cynical Brit believes, Ubisoft can do whatever they want. Watch_Dogs was clearly over-hyped and under polished. So to counteract their past mistake, they under-hyped this game. That and people were playing the illegal copy of Watch_Dogs a week before launch, which kind of ruined it for me. I for one, am actually quite happy they placed an embargo on the game.

If Ubisoft used OpenGL, instead of DirectX, this game would have been 95% better on opening day. Plus their consumer margins would have been much broader (Linux gamers).

Just my thoughts, however. Take them as you will. :rolleyes:

Why would you ever be happy with LESS transparency as to the quality of a game, and LESS access to information about a game's critical reception?

The only way "gamers make judgments for themselves" without reviews, is to spend the money up front, and potentially get burned by a poor product. That's great for Ubisoft - not so much for consumers. Trying to enforce a review embargo that extends past the game's actual release is not only absurd, it's actually ANTI-consumer. It's keeping people uninformed and in the dark, in order to move more product.

Do you think people who bought Aliens: Colonial Marines would have benefit more from a review embargo that lifted a week before the game came out, or an embargo that lifted 12 hours AFTER the game came out? According to your logic, the answer is the latter, so those poor suckers could "judge for themselves", instead of being informed about the game's poor quality ahead of time.

iceygricey87
11-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Why would you ever be happy with LESS transparency as to the quality of a game, and LESS access to information about a game's critical reception?

The only way "gamers make judgments for themselves" without reviews, is to spend the money up front, and potentially get burned by a poor product. That's great for Ubisoft - not so much for consumers. Trying to enforce a review embargo that extends past the game's actual release is not only absurd, it's actually ANTI-consumer. It's keeping people uninformed and in the dark, in order to move more product.

Do you think people who bought Aliens: Colonial Marines would have benefit more from a review embargo that lifted a week before the game came out, or an embargo that lifted 12 hours AFTER the game came out? According to your logic, the answer is the latter, so those poor suckers could "judge for themselves", instead of being informed about the game's poor quality ahead of time.

Unlike most, I do not take other people's reviews seriously. If I am going to buy a game, I will buy it on my own terms. Watching other people play and rate a game before it is out, does nothing more than count against me and my time.

I am my own best judgement on a game. If someone else says it sucks, then that is their own opinion. If someone says it rocks, then that is still their own opinion. I do not need a bunch of reviewers, critical or complimentary, decide how "good" or "bad" a game is, just because it does/does not meet their minimal standards on constituting a "good/bad game." It is honestly a waste of my time, to watch people give reviews, instead of playing it for myself.

Gamers can also attend E3, Gamescom and many others to play and judge for themselves, if the game is worth their money. They do not need to "pay money up front" for games, although most do, which is also fine.

People rely too heavily on the reviewers, that they forget the BASIC principle in buying games: their own opinion. Watching reviewers give their opinions, not only clouds one's judgement, but also denotes what it means to have one's own opinion.

From what I have seen around the inter-webs, Unity had good reviews prior to the embargo being set. You obviously seem to have lost your own opinion, and been blind-sided by an "unbiased" review, which no doubt came from one of the major game-reporters.

Game companies can and sometimes will do certain unethical tactics, just to have more sales. Whether Ubisoft did the embargo because of this, or not remains to be seen. However, having played Watch_Dogs, I can tell you that they do not have a great optimization team, when it comes to PC. Having read testimonials from people who have played their PC games before, have all made an agreement with that statement.

Knowing the issues of their lack of optimization, you and everyone else should have not had high-expectations when buying this game. And when they did release the game, you all were angry, because of the game not being fully polished. There is a major rule of thumb when buying games and that is, "Never buy a game on day one. It will most likely have major issues and cause you to not being able to play the game." That is why intellectual gamers wait, until a game has been released for a good four to five months. Then they buy, not only the game, but also all of the "golden pre-ordering" goodness at a reduced price.

Scottoest
11-17-2014, 12:59 PM
No, what Unity had was good "preview" reactions, which makes sense when critics can't see the entire picture yet, and are only being shown carefully curated vertical slices of the game. Plenty of games have had positive reactions during the preview stage, only to be less well-received once they release. Playing a 20 hour game on your own couch, isn't the same as being shown 5 minutes of hand-picked bits from a game, running on custom hardware months before optimizations or content cuts have to be made. Remember the Watch Dogs E3 demo?

The actual reviews of Unity ("reviews prior to the embargo being set" makes no sense), have been thoroughly average at best.

Also, "never buy a game on day one because it will most likely have major issues" isn't a "rule of thumb" - it's a big convenient excuse, and a bad one at that. Plenty of AAA games launch without showstopping bugs every year, and with the optimization necessary to run well on every release platform.

Lastly, reading reviews isn't about handing off your decision making to some other person - it's about informing yourself, prior to making your own decision, by reading what people have to say, same as a movie review. Or a review of a new car. Or Amazon reviews of a product you're thinking of buying.

Who wishes they had FEWER options to inform themselves?

Sejdovic11
11-17-2014, 03:34 PM
This game shouldn't be released at the condition it was. I actually don't have any hopes that they will fix it, because game was released in very very very bad condition. They have a ton of problems, and they are basically still developing this game by releasing patches, which didn't fix anything to be honest. I personally threw money out of the window, and that's it. My FC4 pre-order was canceled too, I just don't trust them at all. I don't know what happend in the developing proces, were they pushed to release this mess? Or they didn't even give a damn about that game, I don't know. But what I know is that there has to be some kind of "revoliton" in the gaming industry. Developers just got so lazy, unbelievable. They are releasing half-made products for fu*king 60€, which is like 75$. Are you serious? We as a customers should never accept that, that's fuc*ing criminal right there. I'm so mad that I didn't wait a little longer (yeah, I was hyped AF and made a huge mistake by pre-ordering this mess) and waited for some reviews that are SPOT ON! with AC:U. Shame on the Ubisoft, I bet with my life that this will affect at least a little % in their's next game releases. I can already see what a mess of a game The Divison will be. They can't get even coop to run as it should, what are they going to do with an online based game? That's going to be some chaos, I'm sure of that. And yeah, they released 2 patches already and for some users broke it even more than it was. What a drama!

NoSpaxX
11-18-2014, 09:34 AM
For me it was the game I was most looking forward this year. Unfortunately, I never managed to start it. The game immediately exits thanking me for playing it :nonchalance: Im really frustrated and sad, because I loved every title of the AC series...

NoSpaxX
11-19-2014, 10:45 AM
So after all my guess concerning the release quality of FC4 was not so wrong if checking the corresponding forum. Unbelievable!