PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Blade no longer a main weapon?

Putrefied_Fear
11-15-2014, 08:44 AM
I can't seem to equip the hidden blade. I just got it but I want it to be like my main weapon (such as a sword) so I can block with it and attack. Please tell me they didn't remove that and nows its only for assassination times. The only 'Weapon Wheel' is the one with like medicine and smoke and cherry bombs. I couldn't find the hidden blade in the equipment area either at least under swords. This would in my opion make the game 50 points less in my book. Signature weapon now only usable when you go near someone and 'assassinate' them. No straight up fighting with them anymore or am I mistaken?

I made a petition please sign:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassins-creed-unity-needs-the-hidden-blade-back

Ez_187
11-15-2014, 08:48 AM
You my friend are not mistaken... unfortunately :(

Yoshack Fyre84
11-15-2014, 09:11 AM
It's the truth, have to get used to it. Hopefully its different in Rogue. I think they wanted people to focus more on experimenting with the different types of weapons over just using double hidden blades all the time. What irks me even more than that though, is that the UNARMED barehanded option is also gone. So there's no way to fight someone and steal their weapon and then kill them with their own weapon. It also seems that you no longer KILL the people you fight, as they continue writhing on the ground after taking obviously lethal blows.

GolfPro72
11-15-2014, 11:27 AM
I found this to be a completely bizarre choice that Ubi made here. The hidden blade is, in my mind, the iconic weapon of the assassin in this franchise. To remove it as a main option seems crazy to me. I hadn't noticed the bare hand option being removed, but I find that really odd too. They've added a couple of interesting things, like the quick shot, but it hardly makes up for not having the hidden blade as a main weapon option.

Personally I won't be playing Rogue, as I already played AC4 (my opinion only, but it looks like the same game with a couple of elements from III that they're tossing in there and calling 'new' actions. Pretty poor IMO).

Aphex_Tim
11-15-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't think it's such a weird choice. Using the hidden blade as a main weapon kinda defeats it's purpose, which is to kill quickly, unexpectedly and above all unseen. When things get hairy you can resort to swords and pistols. I've always found it kind of ridiculous how you could block sword, spear, ax, halberd, musket attacks with a tiny, wrist-mounted blade. At least in the last few games. AC1 did it quite right by having an extremely tight counter window and not being able to block attacks with it.

D.I.D.
11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
It's the truth, have to get used to it. Hopefully its different in Rogue. I think they wanted people to focus more on experimenting with the different types of weapons over just using double hidden blades all the time. What irks me even more than that though, is that the UNARMED barehanded option is also gone. So there's no way to fight someone and steal their weapon and then kill them with their own weapon. It also seems that you no longer KILL the people you fight, as they continue writhing on the ground after taking obviously lethal blows.

Are you playing Unity yet, or watching a Let's Play? If you're not, don't worry about Unity's combat. All it means is that you have to continue all the way to the Finishing move (which you should do, because it nets you an extra 100 bonus). If you miss that move, they fall writhing, but you can stand over them and hit with the hidden blade, and they are very definitely murdered. Everyone dies.

I can't say I'm missing the open hands option at all. It was always an unclear method for non-lethal moves since the game would sometimes declare people dead anyway, and the whole idea of the knockout cuddle was unconvincing. They've compensated for our sympathies for guards by removing the need for a notoriety system, so the guards are permanently aggressive. You either fight them or dodge them, but you don't feel guilty about the violence option anymore.

dxsxhxcx
11-15-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't think it's such a weird choice. Using the hidden blade as a main weapon kinda defeats it's purpose, which is to kill quickly, unexpectedly and above all unseen. When things get hairy you can resort to swords and pistols. I've always found it kind of ridiculous how you could block sword, spear, ax, halberd, musket attacks with a tiny, wrist-mounted blade. At least in the last few games. AC1 did it quite right by having an extremely tight counter window and not being able to block attacks with it.

This... IMO AC1's approach is much more realistic...

a weird decision was remove the unarmed combat, something that could've been used at the beginning of the game when...

...Arno go to places where he obviously shouldn't have his sword with him but it's there hanging around his belt, talk about a huge immersion breaking situation where Arno is the only person carrying a weapon in some sort of Gala Ball.. unarmed combat would've been really helpful there to make the whole thing less awkward

Putrefied_Fear
11-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Really? that is incredibly lame in my opinion would it be possible for Ubi to add it in in a future patch? How would we let Ubi know that's what we want.

DavisP92
11-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Really? that is incredibly lame in my opinion would it be possible for Ubi to add it in in a future patch? How would we let Ubi know that's what we want.

Personally I hope they never bring it back, it made zero sense to use a small blade in normal combat. In fact I hope they take it a step further, allow us to not even have any weapons but the hidden blade. That means bring back hand-to-hand combat and improve it drastically.

They could use this as a skill upgrade, allowing us to upgrade our assassin to use (efficiently) a weapon of our choice. Example: Upgrade sword skill (be able to use a sword), upgrade long weapon skill, heavy, small (daggers) or hand-to-hand. This would the first skill in the game to pick so we can fight. With minor upgrades to it (increase combos, ect.) for hand-to-hand we could have a final skill that redirects attacks like Ezio did in the revelations trailer.

gnosis_guyver1
11-15-2014, 10:45 PM
That was dumb to remove that it provided the assassin with a last ditch emergency combat option in case he loses all of his weapons ezio demonstrated this in revelations intro. a punch does not kill instantly like small blade can. I hope they do bring it back

Putrefied_Fear
11-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Sign here! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassins-creed-unity-needs-the-hidden-blade-back

The Hidden Blade is the iconic weapon of the Assassin Brotherhood. Sadly though in Assassins Creed Unity at least they 'removed' it as a main weapon as in you can no longer fight with them. They are now used JUST for when you are close to a enemy and assassinate them. You can no longer actually straight up fight with them. You can't fight with them, block with them, or any of the other stuff you used to be able to do with them in the older AC games.You may still be able to use it for just assassinations but they had so much more potential. So please Ubisoft in a future AC Unity patch add the Hidden Blade to the weapon wheel. We want to fight with them again!

Sign here! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassins-creed-unity-needs-the-hidden-blade-back

Bigodon
11-16-2014, 10:38 PM
count on me, i miss this alot
was a stupid decision remove it from gameplay combat

i just hope they do not charge as dlc

Putrefied_Fear
11-17-2014, 03:10 AM
count on me, i miss this alot
was a stupid decision remove it from gameplay combat

i just hope they do not charge as dlc

I know right? why would they remove it.

Conniving_Eagle
11-17-2014, 03:17 AM
Much as I would love this, good luck with your petition.

D.I.D.
11-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Not for me, thanks. I really like the way they've reset it to a rare use thing. It was getting a bit light-saber-ish. If it appears too much, you lose whatever was special about it in the first place. It's nice that it's become something that takes a bit of finesse to use as well, rather than an animation you can start from several horizontal feet away and know the kill is guaranteed.

DavisP92
11-17-2014, 04:17 AM
Not me either, I never liked fighting with it. It made no sense to me, but i hope they bring back hand-to-hand combat... either way good luck

Assassin_M
11-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Yeah, sorry but no.

GoldenBoy9999
11-17-2014, 04:32 AM
I can't say that I want it back. If I got caught with my HB's out I always switched to my actual weapon because of the better stats and because I liked that weapon. It makes sense for someone to use a larger weapon when they have one. The only time I'd use the HB's in combat was to see what new animations the designers put in.

Putrefied_Fear
11-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Much as I would love this, good luck with your petition.

Thank you.

Putrefied_Fear
11-19-2014, 05:59 AM
That was dumb to remove that it provided the assassin with a last ditch emergency combat option in case he loses all of his weapons ezio demonstrated this in revelations intro. a punch does not kill instantly like small blade can. I hope they do bring it back

Yeah totally it makes sense.

Putrefied_Fear
11-20-2014, 02:30 AM
I can't say that I want it back. If I got caught with my HB's out I always switched to my actual weapon because of the better stats and because I liked that weapon. It makes sense for someone to use a larger weapon when they have one. The only time I'd use the HB's in combat was to see what new animations the designers put in.

I always thought that Hidden Blade had pretty decent stats.

SenseHomunculus
11-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Personally I hope they never bring it back, it made zero sense to use a small blade in normal combat. In fact I hope they take it a step further, allow us to not even have any weapons but the hidden blade. That means bring back hand-to-hand combat and improve it drastically.

They could use this as a skill upgrade, allowing us to upgrade our assassin to use (efficiently) a weapon of our choice. Example: Upgrade sword skill (be able to use a sword), upgrade long weapon skill, heavy, small (daggers) or hand-to-hand. This would the first skill in the game to pick so we can fight. With minor upgrades to it (increase combos, ect.) for hand-to-hand we could have a final skill that redirects attacks like Ezio did in the revelations trailer.

100% agree with this. I mean, if you consider realism or immersion in a video game, a weapon with no reach at all would not be a fair fight with a sword or a polearm-type weapon. In sword fighting or fencing, the idea is to keep out of reach of your opponent and you do this with the threat of your steel. A 10-inch (or whatever) blade doesn't do this. Also, considering that the hidden blade doesn't have a hilt at all, it provides no hand protection and the assassin would get his hand lopped off with every halfway difficult sword fighting opponent.

But, it IS a video game, so...

jetlee2777
11-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Yeah thatīs true that the hidden blade as main weapon is gone,but like others has been said already here I think that Ubisoft removed it as itīs still called "hidden blade" means that you are doing stealthy and unseen kills wiith it,if you can use it now as a "main" weapon then itīs actually not "stealth" and "unseen" anymore at all.

I've always found it kind of ridiculous how you could block sword, spear, ax, halberd, musket attacks with a tiny, wrist-mounted blade.

@ Aphex_Tim Yes it does look kind of ridiculous or funny in a way,but the kill animations with it was still good though.

cawatrooper9
11-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I used to use the hidden blade a lot in combat, since weapon stats used to not matter in previous games that much anyway. However, given the increased difficulty, I think it's necessary that they've removed the option to use it in combat (after all, it probably wouldn't have good melee stats).

On the other hand, I also like how it is the only weapon that can be used for stealth kills. I hated the hand-to-hand stealth kills, the sword stealth kills, and (worst of all) the contextual "kick them into a wall or off a building" stealth kills. I think this change was 100% for the better.

MnemonicSyntax
11-20-2014, 05:39 PM
You don't ever have to "kick off a building or into a wall stealth kill" if you do it in low profile.

cawatrooper9
11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
You don't ever have to "kick off a building or into a wall stealth kill" if you do it in low profile.

Really? It's definitely happened to me before, at least in BF.

MnemonicSyntax
11-20-2014, 06:13 PM
It's a bit touchy in Black Flag but if you let go of the trigger (Xbox Controller here, your mileage may vary) completely and hit assassinate it'll be a stealth one.

I know that there are other kinds too, like a moving high profile assassination would cause the kick/knock over but a high profile while not moving at all would just cause a high profile assassination

joelsantos24
11-20-2014, 06:47 PM
This is one of the only few downsides to Unity, not being able to choose the hidden blade or even barehands, as a fighting option. I really don't know how it's even possible to create such an amazing game, and then forget about the weapon at the very center of the whole series. Absolutely unbelievable.

jetlee2777
11-20-2014, 07:02 PM
This is one of the only few downsides to Unity, not being able to choose the hidden blade or even barehands, as a fighting option. I really don't know how it's even possible to create such an amazing game, and then forget about the weapon at the very center of the whole series. Absolutely unbelievable.

If you fight just with your barehands against the guards you might not have a chance to "survive" and it becomes more tough esp. also if you canīt even disarm them,but it might be on the other hand maybe for some people more challengeing,but how about the casual players?

darksavior1977
11-20-2014, 07:32 PM
I can't seem to equip the hidden blade. I just got it but I want it to be like my main weapon (such as a sword) so I can block with it and attack. Please tell me they didn't remove that and nows its only for assassination times. The only 'Weapon Wheel' is the one with like medicine and smoke and cherry bombs. I couldn't find the hidden blade in the equipment area either at least under swords. This would in my opion make the game 50 points less in my book. Signature weapon now only usable when you go near someone and 'assassinate' them. No straight up fighting with them anymore or am I mistaken?

I made a petition please sign:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/assassins-creed-unity-needs-the-hidden-blade-back

I don't know who was in charge of design and direction for AC Unity, but fire that person. They fail at understanding that options and freedom both in the game and how you approach missions and combat are essential. This is the most stripped down ****ty version of AC I have ever played, and I have played all of the main titles. No barehanded fighting, counters are lame now, no hidden blade fighting, some of the weakest finishers in the series. I am appalled by how awful this game is. On the heels of Black Flag this is inexcusable, and is the LAST AC I am ever buying again if this is the new direction. GO back to Black Flag, get in touch with what makes AC combat awesome, and stop listening to the very small vocal minority that has you making changes to a good formula for the worse. Also go look at Shadow of Mordor, WB and Monolith have made a better AC game than you, go learn from them since you have lost your way Ubisoft. Also re-learn how to launch a title without your game being broken.

Zafar1981
11-20-2014, 08:50 PM
For silent kill hidden blade is good. Logically I always found it awkward that you are fighting with few inch hidden blade against enemies who carry swords. I think its a good move that the blade is used only for stealth kill not for combat.

TO_M
11-21-2014, 01:40 AM
While yes it probably logical that the hidden blade would be kind of terrible in Unity's combat system, but the point (imo) is that they've taken away the option to decide this for ourselves. Like if started fighting NPC's with my hidden blade and I would gte my *** kicked hard everytime so I just decide to not use hidden blades in combat anymore it would have been a 1000x better than just realiziing I can't select the hidden blade anymore.

Ubi is limiting the options we have available and this hidden blade thing isn't the only thing where they're doing it.

D.I.D.
11-21-2014, 02:03 AM
While yes it probably logical that the hidden blade would be kind of terrible in Unity's combat system, but the point (imo) is that they've taken away the option to decide this for ourselves. Like if started fighting NPC's with my hidden blade and I would gte my *** kicked hard everytime so I just decide to not use hidden blades in combat anymore it would have been a 1000x better than just realiziing I can't select the hidden blade anymore.

Ubi is limiting the options we have available and this hidden blade thing isn't the only thing where they're doing it.

I don't think that's what would happen at all. There'd be a million threads claiming the hidden blade combat was broken, or underpowered, or they'd ruined the key series weapon.

Just see it as going back to AC1. In the next game, or the one after - whatever it takes to establish a pattern - you'll get used to different things having different uses. AC2 started a problem when it turned the HB into Wolverine's claws, and this needed to be wound back.

TO_M
11-21-2014, 02:06 AM
In AC1 I could still select my hidden blade to use it, and it was the worst choice of weapon to use when I was in combat, so I CHOSE to use the sword/dagger.

That's my entire point, I can't CHOOSE what weapon I want to use in certain situations. The limiting of available options.

D.I.D.
11-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Sure, but that was the first game, with everything mapped to a control. Now, even with the game pared down considerably, we've got tons of controls still handling multiple context-sensitive jobs. I think as part of that process of redefinition of the game, the reassessment of the HB had to come.

I say "Wolverine's claws" for a reason, because the obvious link to that is part of the reason why the HB became so ridiculous, so quickly. To be like Wolverine's claws, the assassin had to be a superhero, and the game became too much about greedy violence. Having been there, you can only scale back brutally to make your point about a new order, otherwise people are going to feel aggrieved about it. Once, you were vulnerable with the HB and in the first game, you understood. Today's players would not understand, and they'd see the blade as weakened.

TO_M
11-21-2014, 02:29 AM
While you do make a good point and I agree with you that the uses of the hidden blade had become a little bit ridiculous I guess we disagree then on the method of how it could be lessened/stopped.

Like the Assassins I believe in free will and the right for the people to decide :P

Putrefied_Fear
11-22-2014, 07:16 AM

At least we HAD a choice though.