PDA

View Full Version : Quantity or Quality?

rokien37
11-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Hello Rokien here for the first time, I hope everyone is having a great snowy friday(snowing here). I am having a decent friday, picked up AC today and oooh boy, lets get to the topic at hand.

I can ignore glitches here or there, I however can't ignore how TERRIBLE the npcs are. Yeah, great, you have 1k of them on screen at once, but really.... That's all they are, props, just like tables, chairs, buildings. There is little to no interaction with them, and if there is, it's taking out a sword and having everyone screem "TERRORIST!!!" without actually doing anything but glitching through one another and other props. As much as they braged about their NPCs, they should have took the time and effort to actually make them apart of the world, each unique and a contributing factor to the world. This is where I would have picked quality over quantity. There is just an absurdly amount that, really, makes no sense to even have. They are literally standing inside of each other.

If you ever in a crowed in real life trying to get through, that is how it should be in this game, but every npc magically moves, pops, out of line for you to advance. It's pretty tacky and an eyesore that they bragged about how this is true next gen with their crowds but did nothing to them but place them into the world.

How about you guys, would you have liked a more dynamic quality npc life, or do you enjoy the numbers?

MenocidiX
11-15-2014, 05:39 AM
I'd prefer quality. Make it hundreds instead of thousands to deliver a decent performance. It's not only Unity. The quality aspect should be a priority to Ubisoft in general. Uplay not working, Initiates not working, Rogue & Unity ingame content not working. Ubi works on so many projects, throwing it out to you for betatesting till it's all patched after several weeks.

Really Ubi, get rid of pre order programs, ridicolous apps which prevent people who don't own it from getting game related content and just develop complete, working games. I'm sick of it.

Andy_M86
11-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Totally agree. I would rather have smarter AI instead of thousands and thousands of dumb AI. Plus I would rather have a working game with stable frame rate. It’s like they didn’t even care if they broke their own game, as long as they could say “we got 10,000 NPC on screen at once!”

I think the next game Ubisoft makes, they should dedicate one entire studio to just QA.

shafdude
11-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Really Ubi, get rid of pre order programs, ridicolous apps which prevent people who don't own it from getting game related content and just develop complete, working games. I'm sick of it.
This x100.

Relmar_Vel
11-15-2014, 06:51 AM

Preorder stuff doesn't even work. Key they sent me for AC Rogue? Invalid. So I spoke with Microsoft Support "Get Ubisoft to send you a new code, this one won't work" talk to Ubisoft Support "Take it up with Microsoft" go back to Microsoft "Speak with Ubisoft" so I send a message to Ubisoft once more... Just waiting for the reply, but I swear to god if they tell me "Talk to Microsoft" I will rage. Getting sent in circles, I'm wondering if I should just give up. Shouldn't be a massive quest to get something so trivial.

So they prevent people who do own it also :P They should stop doing preorder bonus, apps and **** if they can't even do it correctly.

Cactiii
11-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Well, I personally think it's fine. Even RDR- what I still hold to be the pinnacle of immersive NPC AI- didn't allow you to do much with NPC's besides say hello or shoot them. The things the people of Unity do is varied, much more so than in previous games, and they react to things you do (freaking out when you go through their homes, running away/staying and fighting when you attack a guard, etc) well enough. I always like quality, but really there's only so much that you can interact with NPCs in any game. All I would like to see in the future for NPCs would be more social blending options besides sit on bench, lift wagon or lean against wall. AC3 even had more, like looking at vegetable stands or leaning against a bar, which were taken out for some reason. I'd definitely like to see more blending like that indoors.

I really do like these huge crowds, though. I still can't get over how cool it is to go to some major landmark and see the throngs of people and hear their voices drown out all of the other audio, and watching a huge crowd scatter after you fire off a gun is really an awesome sight.

MVP914
11-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Ubisoft themselves are making things complicate. The want us to play the game, initiates and an app etc. None of these project is fully functioning. Beside that they release to many DLCs and half of them are not working properly. They really need to take time to test everything or remove unnecessary additional games/contents.

Reaper-59
11-15-2014, 05:57 PM
I just wish you had a button so you could push your self through the crowds like in AC, AC:2, AC:BH and AC:R. Also get rid of the requirements on how to unlock things through Apps and initiates.

eddieoctane
11-15-2014, 06:13 PM
What gts me is how dumb the crowds seem to be. I distinctly remember seeing videos of being able to initiate a riot and/or stampede. At best, a dozen of the people who were nearby when I did something take off, but people who were closer and actually facing me when I shot someone, drew my sword, etc. stand there like nothing happened at all. The AI for the bystanders is awful, but the AI on the guards seems to be able to see trough walls half the time. That's just ******ed.