PDA

View Full Version : I would like to introduce you all to....

SixKeys
11-15-2014, 12:06 AM
......Celestine, my waifu.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ayk6l2.jpg

I'm sorry, Elise, but my Arno is going to have to cheat on you.

Celestine is a totally random NPC in ACU with absolutely no significance to the story. She is also totally adorable and I have decided to make her my waifu.

I was collecting my income from the Café Theatre and was just about to leave when this servant girl walked in to talk to the finances manager. For some reason I decided to stay and listen to the dialogue, even though they usually just say uninteresting things like "hello, sir - goodbye, sir".

Not Celestine. She timidly approached the finance guy and asked if she could possibly have the afternoon off.
"Whatever for?" asked the finance guy.
"Well, I was hoping to take a stroll through the garden with a....friend."
She said the word with some affection. Obviously she was talking about someone special. I thought this was cute. Which is why I wanted to punch my finance manager when he smugly replied:
"Well, my girl, a good friend would know better than to keep you away from your duties. Now, I do believe the windows need scrubbing."
"Yes, sir." The servant girl turned away, disappointment apparent in both her voice and body language.

I followed her into the hallway where she gallantly began washing the windows. I imagined Arno being nice and consoling her ("don't worry about him, he's just a crotchety old man"). She cheerfully acknowledged my presence with a greet.

Then she moved on to arrange the shelves in the kitchen. An old woman, who I'm assuming was the cook, approached Celestine as she was humming to herself.
"What's got you so cheerful this morning?" she asked.
"Oh, nothing. I just like this song."
I imagined the song being a reminder of her special "friend".
The cook then sneered at her for being too happy, to which Celestine muttered under her breath "better than being a bitter old crone".
"What was that?!" the cook demanded.
"Oh, nothing!" the girl replied innocently.

And that's when I decided I really liked this random NPC named Celestine with a whole life and opinions of her own.

Long story short: the depth of NPC interactions in this game are nothing short of amazing. They truly have their own lives, their own little stories, even names that you may or may never find out. I can't believe someone actually went through the trouble of writing and recording all these individual NPC dialogues that 99% of players will likely never pay attention to.

If your Arno ever runs into Celestine in your game, tell her I said hello. And follow the other NPCs around, they may have other interesting stories to share.

Ureh
11-15-2014, 12:12 AM
What a charming story. I'm glad you shared it.

Sounds like what they did with the homestead in ac3 except it might even be a step further. Can't wait to see all that Paris has to offer.

Btw nice Arno outfit.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Really? I found the NPCs to be rather lifeless.

Perhaps I need to spend more time listening and less time running.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Wow, that's interesting... :)

Now I wish there was a side mission or something for her.

RzaRecta357
11-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Yeah the Cafe thing seems to have lots going on.

One of the missions gives you new costumed people on stage. When I checked the stage after learning that nothing was going on. But there are times of the day so I'm assuming the plays happen at night. That would be frickin cool! Gonna have to test.

Esco showed us that the options have a time of day setting. Might just switch it and check :P.

D.I.D.
11-15-2014, 12:56 AM
I'm just beginning Sequence 5, because I'm eating up non-story icons, but so far my obsession is with a single member of that Assassin's Council. She's had about 10 seconds of screen-time in total, and all those people are rude and didn't introduce themselves so I've got no idea who she is. She's got red hair, looks about 40, and is without a doubt the best video game model I've ever seen, in terms of looking like a believably real person (and there are a lot of good ones in this game), and the fact I've barely seen her is testament to that.

Make her a protagonist, Ubisoft. I want to know who she is.

(Disregard if she's dead by the end of Unity. And don't tell me if she is, obviously).

pirate1802
11-15-2014, 07:30 AM
O.o

That's encouraging.

And that Arno outfit, would I be correct in assuming you chose it because it resembled Altair's? :p

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2014, 07:40 AM
SixKeys, don't marry her

Marry me

The mind may try to fight this notion, but the body... the body is no fool. It welcomes it. It's a rush like no other...

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 07:47 AM
SixKeys, don't marry her

Marry me

The mind may try to fight this notion, but the body... the body is no fool. It welcomes it. It's a rush like no other...

"The more you talk mate, the less I understand." :rolleyes:

Yoshack Fyre84
11-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Do you speak French? All the NPC dialogue I've heard in the game is in French so I have no idea what anyone is saying. Where are these English speaking NPCs found? Any besides your Celestine?

SixKeys
11-15-2014, 04:32 PM
O.o

That's encouraging.

And that Arno outfit, would I be correct in assuming you chose it because it resembled Altair's? http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

Actually no, I'm not too hung up on the traditional white/red color scheme. I chose it because the hood came with a cool vigilante mask and I decided to wear this flamboyant outfit when doing crowd events. I dubbed myself "the avenger in white" and run around going all Batman on evil-doers. I like to pretend I'm giving the people hope by creating this mysterious masked vigilante they can put their faith into. I roleplay a lot in AC, in case you couldn't tell. ;)

Do you speak French? All the NPC dialogue I've heard in the game is in French so I have no idea what anyone is saying. Where are these English speaking NPCs found? Any besides your Celestine?

There's quite a lot of English background dialogue actually. I'm definitely going to take my time to listen to some of them. It reminds me a bit of AC1: the street preachers all sounded the same, so they just became background noise after a while, but when you heard one who was saying something different, you realized there was something interesting going on. In Unity most of the stuff you hear is in French so you stop paying attention to it (unless you happen to speak French :p) but occasionally you'll hear two NPCs greet each other like old friends and start discussing the latest news. I ran past a gentleman who said to his friend, in a slightly hushed voice: "Can I have your ear for a moment?", like he was about to tell him a juicy bit of gossip. Now I kind of regret I didn't stop to listen.

I've even had several people greet me by name ("Hello, Arno! How are things?") which is really nice. Maybe that's tied to doing the crowd events, not sure. Like you do enough good deeds and people actually start to see you as a hero, which is something I've been wanting for years.

Also, the same finance manager who was a d*uche to Celestine seems to be an anti-Revolutionary. After he was done berating the servant girl, he walked over to the window, looked at the crowd outside and sniffed contemptuously: "Bah, riots. What will they think of next?". Kind of interesting considering he works for the assassins, makes it obvious they're not all nice people who care about the lower-class struggles.