PDA

View Full Version : to the devs:

silverfall1986
11-14-2014, 11:13 PM
If you knew the performance optimization was this bad on pc, why did you release the game?

See: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/951137-Can-you-guys-tell-me-what-the-GPU-utilization-is-like

nonamename1
11-14-2014, 11:26 PM
To the devs:

you guys are amazing. This game has exceeded anything I've ever seen before technically. Keep pushing the boundaries of what gaming is capable of!

And ignore the haters.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Agreed. So far this game is great. Except for the combat issues I have, but the actual combat itself is fun

gally000
11-14-2014, 11:46 PM
The game would be great without the framerate issues, the random bugs and Uplay connection failures during game...

Testing a game before release is a must do when you're professional, and it seems they didn't do it enough, or they did test it, but decide to sale it like
this anyway, and this is a sad decision. One option or the other, this is not professional and respectful for me.

I'll wait the next updates, but I'm really disappointed.

nonamename1
11-14-2014, 11:56 PM
turn your graphics settings down until you get the framerate you want. There are a few bugs in every game and I'm sure Ubisoft will continue to fix them.

Heck, it's only been a couple of days and they've released two patches already.

Nogeaux
11-15-2014, 12:01 AM
To the devs:

you guys are amazing. This game has exceeded anything I've ever seen before technically. Keep pushing the boundaries of what gaming is capable of!

And ignore the haters.

I'm one of many who are really happy with Unity. While I wish it could have been perfect on launch day, it's more realistic to expect quick patches when issues are identified. Ubi has answered that call. Well done.

Cheers, nogeaux

chrikle
11-15-2014, 12:01 AM
"Heck, it's only been a couple of days and they've released two patches already."

epic facepalm...:nonchalance:

Green_Reaper
11-15-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm sure they had game testers so maybe they did know about the issues before launch and have been working on them since. I don't think it was possible for them to further delay the game because those were the final dates they decided on. In any case, a large amount of game breaking bugs and issues have been addressed, and it looks like they're still working on fixes/improvements. Gotta give them credit and praise for at least recognizing the problems and making solutions in only a few days. I've seen worse.

Black_ICE_321
11-15-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm sure they had game testers so maybe they did know about the issues before launch and have been working on them since. I don't think it was possible for them to further delay the game because those were the final dates they decided on. In any case, a large amount of game breaking bugs and issues have been addressed, and it looks like they're still working on fixes/improvements. Gotta give them credit and praise for at least recognizing the problems and making solutions in only a few days. I've seen worse.

Don't you think praise is a strong word to use. I think they did a good job by getting patch up, but if you had sold 10's of thousands games to your customers and they were all very unhappy once again on launch day I think you 2 would be looking at future sales and saying OMG we need to fix this or we are going to lose this one as well. To all the beta testers out there thank you for your free service and now after frustration enjoy your game.

I--Skeptik--I
11-15-2014, 02:06 AM
I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Ubi doesn't test their games? They most certainly do, After the game is released, we buy it, then beta test it for them, then report back with bug lists. It's quite genius really. Not only are we doing their jobs for them, but we are paying them to do so.

FuzZebra
11-15-2014, 02:13 AM
To the devs:

And ignore the haters.

We aren't hating, we are complaining. I payed $60 for this game and it's unplayable because they didn't even try to optimize it for PC. They pushed the boundaries of what gaming was capable of and the only thing they exceeded was my computers processing and memory. I have the graphics set to low and it only runs at 7-10 fps even with the NVIDIA graphics drivers that were SPECIFICALLY made for Unity, they won't get any praise from me until they fix the game.

silverfall1986
11-15-2014, 12:18 PM
turn your graphics settings down until you get the framerate you want. There are a few bugs in every game and I'm sure Ubisoft will continue to fix them.

Um, they still haven't even fixed watch dogs.

Also I don't own this game (thank god). I waited for reviews and streams and everything else, but when I walked on over to this http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-unity/user-reviews and took the time to read through about 2 pages worth of reviews I had to make this thread. After watch dogs (which is still broken in terms of optimization) someone should take these people to court at this point. This is down right fraud. You can't mislead people and sell a product that barely functions, don't or can't actually fix it, then do not allow refunds. It's ludicrous.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Um, they still haven't even fixed watch dogs.

Also I don't own this game (thank god). I waited for reviews and streams and everything else, but when I walked on over to this http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-unity/user-reviews and took the time to read through about 2 pages worth of reviews I had to make this thread. After watch dogs (which is still broken in terms of optimization) someone should take these people to court at this point. This is down right fraud. You can't mislead people and sell a product that barely functions, don't or can't actually fix it, then do not allow refunds. It's ludicrous.

So you don't own the game and you're complaining about optimization?

None of this applies to you. Just because some people are having issues, doesn't mean everyone is. So, how is that misleading people and selling a product that barely functions when it in fact works perfectly fine for others *and* Ubisoft has already put out two patches for Unity in less than a week of release as well as keeping a Live Blog about what their update plans and paths are?

Yeah, this isn't Watch_Dogs, not even close. Stop trying to make it out like it is, because after Watch_Dogs, it seems Ubi has changed their tune and is actually listening and communicating with their customers.

Which, for this game... you aren't one. Bye.

fashric
11-15-2014, 05:30 PM
He's a potential customer of course it applies to him. I also don't see any forum rules saying if you don't own the game you aren't allowed to talk about the game or its issues. Not allowing reviews to be released until hours after the game is available can certainly be seen as trying to mislead the consumer by denying them any information pertaining to the performance.

Eymerich
11-15-2014, 05:32 PM

That's ridiculous. I have a i7-3970X Extreme Edition CPU with 16 Gigs or RAM and a EVGA Dual Classified GTX 780Ti and i can't run the game at 1900X1200 without stuttering and lag spikes at Ultra. Lowering the graphics settings makes the game shallow in comparison even to games that came out a couple years ago (and run perfectly fine).
It's not even that i'm using a particular exotic hardware. I'm using the GPU brand they sponsorize and a CPU by the main and most common manifacturer.
What really bugs me is that Black Flag had the very same issues, but they didn't even bother enough to fix those in a SUBSEQUENT game, despite several complaints. They never even cared about solving the problem with a patch. Do you know that using a little program known as D3DOverrider to enable V-Sync and triple buffering on Black Flag instead of the in-game option COMPLETELY SOLVED the issue? Which means the problem is nothing else but bad coding. I would use the very same program with Unity, but unfortunately it doesn't work on 64-bit native games.
That a AAA company release a product so unfinished, unpolished and badly optimized is beyond ridiculous and should put serious thoughts about their professionality.

Calgerion
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM
To the devs:

And ignore the haters.

Hey man, nobody have anything on pushing the limits.... People have only problems, if developers are creating Betatesters from regularly paying customers.....

Its same like if you will buy dangerous untested car, and after some people will be killed by accident, developer will tune the car into the finish product....

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 05:38 PM
He's a potential customer of course it applies to him. I also don't see any forum rules saying if you don't own the game you aren't allowed to talk about the game or its issues. Not allowing reviews to be released until hours after the game is available can certainly be seen as trying to mislead the consumer by denying them any information pertaining to the performance.

It doesn't apply to him because not everyone is experiencing the same issues. Sorry, but that's a fact.

He could very well buy the game and have zero problems. Therefore, until he buys it and has issues, he can't really complain about performance.

As for not allowing reviews, I'm not sure how any performance issues would have to do with any of that, plenty of people on YouTube had the game, and received review copies before it was release with the caveat of not playing story missions to spoil it for others.

Lastly, talking about fraud (on a product that you don't own no less) and saying that Ubisoft can't or won't do anything about it when with Unity, again we've had two patches in the span of a week and better communication.

So this isn't Watch_Dogs. It's not even comparable. I had no issues with Watch_Dogs besides losing a saved game and I have zero issues with Unity spare falling through the ground once and getting stuck in a building in co-op once in the span of nearly 40 hours of gameplay... and I find the fact that Ubisoft stepped their game up by putting out two patches and keeping us updated constantly highly impressive.

silverfall1986
11-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Actually if the same GPU utilization problem that existed in watch dogs is also an issue in ACU (apparently from many people it is, check link in OP) then I doubt that I wouldn't have problems. I WAS a potential customer; until I made that thread and realized they intentionally released another completely unoptimized game on a completely broken engine.

Most people do not realize how broken this game actually is because most people don't actively monitor their GPU utilization in real time while playing the game.

King_of_Ricers
11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Ubi doesn't test their games? They most certainly do, After the game is released, we buy it, then beta test it for them, then report back with bug lists. It's quite genius really. Not only are we doing their jobs for them, but we are paying them to do so.

In a short, we're buying an early-access that claims it's a full game. :(

xChip1998x
11-16-2014, 05:48 PM
This game was poorly optimized.

The game was playable though, I managed to complete it all and the only errors I got were clipping, awkward controls, and severely annoying frames. Apparently, the parkour system was upgraded, you can grab more things and climb steep roofs, but apart from that I felt it was a downgrade, it was a struggle to get Arno to turn on a tight rope.

My complaints don't just lie with performance, but also story - wise. I already started a thread on that, so I will not repeat myself.

I'd give the game a 6/10. It just wasn't mind - blowing, except for the graphical enhancements and the new style of music.

bertalan93
11-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Can you Ubifans stop being so butthurt, when somebody make an opinion about their work?
"No because it is working for me and u has a **** pc and I dont care that the game is only playable to 5 people out of 100.."
About the boundaries:
I am not really sure that this game has any ground-breaking revulotionary thing in itself, except the fact that it is beautiful(like so much other games on the market, but you can play with them on ultra above 60 fps, because another companies can optimize).
The story was meh.. half as good as BF or AC2.
The combat system is so slow. Counter kills were the best things in older AC games, like the chain counter kills whit Edward. It was so badass, but now we get that parry-strike-dodge ****.

PricklyBlitz
11-16-2014, 11:22 PM
The game is good I love it its fun, lots to do, and the art team made a huge step into making this a beautiful game...buuut with that said its the technical side that everyone has a problem with ubisoft did not properly handle this well nor optimize the higher end cards like a gtx 980 handle the game very well but i know some people that are getting framerate dips on it with a 980. I myself am using a gtx 760 and get an average 40-50 fps on high but i get this intense stuttering

USAdystopia
11-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Wishing my parents would have "optimized"...my life...no sports car...no mansion...disappointed that there is less money in my pockets, etc. Built my own computers with my own money and for some reason this game plays really well on my setup and component choices. Go figure!!

mrsquishy1155
11-17-2014, 06:52 AM
why does uplay not recognise I have the game installed on my pc had the game for 5 days played for 5 minutes it gives me the option to uninstall but not play it just says download and the reason I payed like $20 more was so I didn't have to download a 40gb game but know I have to how do I fix this

Monolyth
11-17-2014, 06:59 AM
If you knew the performance optimization was this bad on pc, why did you release the game?

See: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/951137-Can-you-guys-tell-me-what-the-GPU-utilization-is-like

I realize the context that ArmedSauce meant for "devs" was Ubisoft the publisher and not Ubisoft Montreal. Even Ubisoft Montreal would have little to say with regards to release date beyond "% complete, risks, etc." Decisions like that occur at the publisher level. It is easy to say that it was the developer's fault because those are the people we see and talk with in interviews, conventions, reddit AMA, etc. The people who make the go/no-go decisions do not generally show-up to those proceedings because they generally don't have the kind of finite understanding of the game or product that the devs or designers do.

What I'm getting at is that we focus on the publisher and not the developer. The publisher decided to release a game that was not tested thoroughly enough (as I'm sure the developer, Ubisoft Montreal, told them). You'll never hear them say it though, to do so would risk their job.

I am very upset that the publisher chose to release so early, AC: Unity has the potential to be a very good game once it works out its kinks. It is obvious they put a lot of time and effort into the game and its supporting features. I'm sure the folks who get the game during the holidays will have a much smoother experience than us.

mrsquishy1155
11-17-2014, 07:00 AM
they should give people the option if they want it to run through steam or uplay and see that not one single person will chose uplay so they can get rid of the worst game launcher ever its not like it does anything good just pisses pc players off. And makes me want to cancel me far cry pre order and get a game that will actually let me play it

nonamename1
11-17-2014, 09:00 AM
"Heck, it's only been a couple of days and they've released two patches already."

epic facepalm...:nonchalance:

you are doing a face palm because a company is being super responsive and patching their game extremely quickly? What, because it wasn't 100% perfect? Do you know how software works kid? it takes probably millions of lines of code to make this game, there are going to be bugs. heck, look at any MMO that's been out for a long time, it's still getting patched due to bugs! That is how software works!

It's amazing they are patching things so quickly. If you think software released will be 100% on day one you're kidding yourself and you know nothing about software.

nonamename1
11-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Can you Ubifans stop being so butthurt, when somebody make an opinion about their work?
"No because it is working for me and u has a **** pc and I dont care that the game is only playable to 5 people out of 100.."
About the boundaries:
I am not really sure that this game has any ground-breaking revulotionary thing in itself, except the fact that it is beautiful(like so much other games on the market, but you can play with them on ultra above 60 fps, because another companies can optimize).
The story was meh.. half as good as BF or AC2.
The combat system is so slow. Counter kills were the best things in older AC games, like the chain counter kills whit Edward. It was so badass, but now we get that parry-strike-dodge ****.

Other games that look good and run at 60 fps... do they have the expansive architecture this game has? Do they have the NPC count on screen this one has?

No, they do not. Saying so makes you look like an idiot.

nonamename1
11-17-2014, 09:03 AM
they should give people the option if they want it to run through steam or uplay and see that not one single person will chose uplay so they can get rid of the worst game launcher ever its not like it does anything good just pisses pc players off. And makes me want to cancel me far cry pre order and get a game that will actually let me play it

you sound like a spoiled brat. you pre-ordered the game, yet you complain about Uplay, like it has any impact on you playing the game. Stop being so idealistic and just realize Ubisoft has reasons for using Uplay. It does add to the experience, the achievements, past games, etc are all stored on Uplay. I think it's a cool thing they do it.

JAC072
11-17-2014, 09:26 AM
You actually think that if we hated the game we would have paid $80-$90 USD?... No... We don't hate the game, some of us have all the AC games, as well as others from Ubisoft. But we keep finding a lot of bugs that keep making the game crash and pretty much unplayable for a lot of us.

When you pay so much for a game you expect it to at least be playable as has been advertised. Instead the game seems to work mostly for those who have the very high end gaming platforms. Some of us are not going to buy a new pc, or new graphic cards every time a game is released. According to the specs given by Ubisoft most of us should be able to play this game without so many issues, and btw yes I know that a new game will have bugs, but not the continuous CTD, stuttering, etc.

This game has a lot of potential, but it simply wasn't ready for release.

bertalan93
11-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Other games that look good and run at 60 fps... do they have the expansive architecture this game has? Do they have the NPC count on screen this one has?

No, they do not. Saying so makes you look like an idiot.

Okay, for example Ryse Son of Rome. Massive fighting scenes with hundreds of npcs, very well designed beautiful modelling. Still can run it 60+.
You just desperately protecting Unity in every of your post, but you know nothing about optimization and the technical side of games.

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Thousands > hundreds.

Sejdovic11
11-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Hahaha, well said... We are testers for them, they ain't stupid, they are greedy motha****as...