PDA

View Full Version : So, Why is AC Unity not in Steam in the UK?

ArkticSparc
11-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Yeh, title says it all.

Any actual reason? I want this game, I but use steam as my main platform.
Looks like another 'Wait for a while and then rip off the UK guys' thing again...

ArkticSparc
11-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Huh, Well I guess it's another marketing ploy

Zmidd
11-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Yeh, title says it all.

Any actual reason? I want this game, I but use steam as my main platform.

Basically, every so often, Ubisoft and Valve fall out because Ubisoft thinks Valve takes a too big slice of the money from each sale of a game through Steam (which I heard somewhere is 30% as standard), and so yank some or all of their games from Steam, this time, Unity being one of those games. After a while, either Ubisoft has another think or renegotiates the deal with Steam and the game goes back on there. However, sometimes, whether by accident, design or due to deals with other retailers, some or all of those games may not go back on the Steam store for all regions straight away.

My own experience with buying games directly from Ubisoft is distinctly negative, with problems occurring with Unity and the only other game I have bought directly from them, AC3, in stark contrast with the utterly problem-free experience I've had buying the 300+ games I've bought from Steam. As such, all this really shows is that, if this is the best Ubisoft can do when acting as their own retailer, then they're best off simply eating the 30% they lose by going all-in with Steam, and totally removing all shop functionality from Uplay and closing their online store.

strigoi1958
11-15-2014, 03:55 AM
Never had a problem with steam, uplay or origin and I have plenty of games on steam... steam offers weekend sales and updates games by option.. (good points) other than that it is just a shop where I buy games. I believe EA pulled games from steam in 2011 when steam wanted a big slice for the DLC.

I am not certain but I believe only DLC bought from steam will work on steam bought games which makes them a bit of a monopoly and perhaps led them to believe they could get a better cut from EA....

Steam does have a lot of fans who demand all games be sold through steam but they could easily change their minds if companies pull out and only indie and greenlight games are left :( in the end it is just business and each side does what it can to get the best deal.