PDA

View Full Version : Ubi blame AMD for problems when in fact AMD hold the key to fixing this game for all

AbundantCores
11-14-2014, 06:58 PM
What Ubi say and WCCF's response to it, i don't have much to add to what WCCF said as they hit the nail on the head, really.

But there is one thing that i will say at the end of all this.

Ubi

We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations. This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available.

WCCF

It goes without saying that I had serious trouble believing that the entirety of the glitches present in Assassins Creed Unity are the cause of Catalyst Drivers (AMD). While modern drivers can be the cause of low frame rates in certain cases, they are not usually behind texture popping and entity glitches. One of the primary selling points of Assassins Creed Unity (from Ubisoft’s Marketing) was the fact that the game supported ‘thousands of NPCs on screen’. Well, they were right about that, but looks like they conveniently forgot to mention the performance hit that would ensue from using so many dynamic objects. We sent some emails and and found out what is really happening:

Ubi

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs pooping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles.

WCCF

Games should be created with the target hardware in mind. And from what I have seen so far, high end rigs built with the likes of Titans (Nvidia) and R9 295Xs are glitching as well. So unless the Titan GPU was secretly made by AMD, I am not really sure what Ubisoft PR is on about. The game appears to be barely functional, something that would automatically merit low scores. The post-launch embargo on reviews seems to have foreshadowed the condition of the title. I really enjoyed Assassins Creed Black Flag, but to me, Ubisoft has been making bad calls after bad calls lately, and their PR is heading towards a colossal train wreck. Alienating PC users is one thing, but at this rate, pretty soon, even console users will be vary of their games. Still, Far Cry 4 has yet to be released, so maybe not all hope is lost yet (fingers crossed).

http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-points-finger-amd-technical-bugs-assassins-creed-unity/#ixzz3IzQdlUNs

This is what i want to address.

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls

This is absolutely true, if they are pushing 50K Draw Calls they have problem with DX11, on AMD and Nvidia, its no good saying its only an AMD problem because the internet is full of Nvidia users with the same performance problems, there would be, DirectX has some serious efficiency problems affecting Draw Call performance amongst other things.
That is exactly why AMD got together with 'other' developers to create Mantle, its why Apple and Khronos 'OpenGL' and Microsoft are now following AMD's lead.
Existing API's like DX11 are too high level and bloated.

What Ubisoft need is Mantle, Their partners Nvidia might not like it, be that as it may then hold AMD to their word, they said Mantle will be open, So get AMD and Nvidia together to make it work for both.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/mantle#overview

RecKoNinG_NinE
11-14-2014, 07:02 PM
lol who needs mantle???? awh yeah that's right AMD because they can hardly keep up with nvidia and intel. AMD need mantle to stand a chance. AMD will always be a step behind always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpKM7m68z1Q

CHosIN1
11-14-2014, 07:11 PM
I 100% agree with mantle DX is not the best nor is mantle but, mantle does do what its made for to accelerate amd platform i just recently switched to green/blue platform. im happy with my choice for now till amd steps up their game on single thread performance on desktops. Their apus are great in their own way.

Dag_B
11-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I am not sure if the first response is correct. From my understanding they did not claim that "the entirety of the glitches present in Assassins Creed Unity are the cause of Catalyst Drivers (AMD)" . As far as I understood the problem is really, that on some rigs, using AMD the game simply does not run. That issue is different from the overall problem everybody has.

AbundantCores
11-14-2014, 07:15 PM
lol who needs mantle???? awh yeah that's right AMD because they can hardly keep up with nvidia and intel. AMD need mantle to stand a chance. AMD will always be a step behind always

Mate, your Frame Rates are an unstable mess, and i can clearly see the stuttering its causing, can you not see and feel that? its horrid. I can't play it like that, that "Cinematic" experience kills the game.

DarkSolitudeX
11-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Having 5x more draw calls than the current version of DX can handle is completely reckless and stupid. Ubisoft knowingly and willingly crippled graphic draws. If I knew about this before I bought Unity, I would have passed. From now on, I'm definitely going to wait till after launch before I buy another ubisoft game again. Completely careless.

Anykeyer
11-14-2014, 07:40 PM
The ammount of stupidity here is disturbing.
If DX11 could not handle this ammount of calls game would not run at all or there would be no GPU scaling, only CPU scaling. You can get more than 100fps on ultra if you got beast PC (i7 + 980 SLI). I see no bottlenecks here. game's performance scales very well with GPU power. Thats NOT DX11 bottleneck.
If AMD GPUs suffer its their problem indeed. Either their DX11 drivers sucks (yea, lets "fix" it by making Mantle, idiots, they couldnt write proper OpenGL driver for years, their programmers competence is a really questionable thing) or this particular workload is bad for their architecture (seeing consoles performance I bet its a mix of both).
3rd quote is obviosly NOT Ubi response. Its just someones ranting.

del170109032657
11-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,

A previous post that we have made was misinterpreted by various media outlets. UbiJohkr, one of our community managers, has put up a new thread in regards to this: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/950270-Update-on-Performance-Issues

As previously reported on the Assassin’s Creed Live Updates Blog, our team is furiously working to resolve bugs and performance issues for Assassin’s Creed Unity on all platforms. On PC, some media outlets have misinterpreted a forum post indicating that we were working on resolving issues that were AMD-specific. We apologize for any confusion and want to be clear that we are working with all of our hardware partners to address known issues that exist across various PC configurations. We care deeply about a smooth and enjoyable Assassin’s Creed experience and we will continue to update customers as these issues are fixed via the AC Live Updates Blog.

AbundantCores
11-14-2014, 07:56 PM
If DX11 could not handle this ammount of calls game would not run at all or there would be no GPU scaling, only CPU scaling. You can get more than 100fps on ultra if you got beast PC (i7 + 980 SLI). I see no bottlenecks here. game's performance scales very well with GPU power. Thats NOT DX11 bottleneck.
If AMD GPUs suffer its their problem indeed. Either their DX11 drivers sucks (yea, lets "fix" it by making Mantle, idiots, they couldnt write proper OpenGL driver for years, their programmers competence is a really questionable thing) or this particular workload is bad for their architecture (seeing consoles performance I bet its a mix of both).

Excessive Draw Calls in relation to what the API can Handle does not stop the game, its not an absolute limit that when reached stops what its doing, the GPU will simply wait for the API to catch up, that causes Frame Rate drops as there is an increased Latency between Batching and Rendering.

The number of Draw Calls is also not a constant, it will simple increase when the engine makes a request for it, be it to calculate Physics, telemetry or whatever.. when its asking to much of the API Rendering needs to wait, the result is a drop in performance and GPU usage "known as a CPU Bottleneck" if it happens frequently and at high pace you end up with stuttering like that which you see in RecKoNinG_NinE's Youtube video.

Carfax83
11-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Well said. Look at the source and you'll see all you need to know. WCCFTech is a garbage click bait website.

DX11 cannot even issue 50K draw calls. The most DX11 can issue is likely around 25K, but only with deferred context; a feature that isn't being used in this game and that only NVidia supports. Also, developers have techniques such as instancing and batching which drastically reduces the amount of draw calls required to more reasonable levels..

Anykeyer
11-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Dont explain draw calls to me. Im no stranger to IT and I know how graphics APIs work. 5x excess of that "magic number" would have drastic consequences. It wont be just npcs popping up (which is simply lod issue present since ac1). It would be either excessive long freezes, lots of objects missing or almost no GPU scaling. None of this happens in this game. Game scales really good on nvidia cards. There is some slight stuttering in low VRAM cases (to be expected) and thats it.

Carfax83
11-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Excessive Draw Calls in relation to what the API can Handle does not stop the game, its not an absolute limit that when reached stops what its doing, the GPU will simply wait for the API to catch up, that causes Frame Rate drops as there is an increased Latency between Batching and Rendering.

The number of Draw Calls is also not a constant, it will simple increase when the engine makes a request for it, be it to calculate Physics, telemetry or whatever.. when its asking to much of the API Rendering needs to wait, the result is a drop in performance and GPU usage "known as a CPU Bottleneck" if it happens frequently and at high pace you end up with stuttering like that which you see in RecKoNinG_NinE's Youtube video.

Yes, but the article is incorrect to begin with because DX11 cannot even hit 50K draw calls on any CPU today. It's simply not efficient enough. So saying the game is being limited by draw call throughput is simply incorrect. The developers aren't stupid, they know the limits of DX11 and would never design the game to request that many

Plus as I mentioned earlier, they have instancing and batching which both can drastically reduce the amount of draw calls required. I and many others are getting high frame rates at max settings. I'm getting a constant 60 FPS basically, and I would never be able to get that many frames per second if the game was draw call limited.

RazorHair
11-14-2014, 08:07 PM

AMD was not always behind, Nvidia and Intel are much larger company's than AMD, much tech intel uses came from AMD...

AbundantCores
11-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Deferred context only works for as long as the deferred pool has room to defer, the reason its not used is because its ability to help with Batching is very limited, in other words it doesn't really work.

Anykeyer
11-14-2014, 08:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/h7H2J0F.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/h7H2J0F.jpg)

Thats a table of CPU cores loading for different Intel CPUs, all running GTX 980. In most cases you can easily guess which core runs renderer backend (its the one with the highest load) but no major problems.

Also have a look at SLI scaling here:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Assassins_Creed_Unity-test-ac_1920_msaa.jpg

I see near perfect scaling (including minimum fps). Definitelly no major issues in API.

AbundantCores
11-14-2014, 08:24 PM
@ AC_Mako, it doesn't work like that, as i said before bottlenecking in not a constant, i can go to one part of the game and its fine. another part its not.

Random graphs have absolutely nothing to do with that.

Yes, but the article is incorrect to begin with because DX11 cannot even hit 50K draw calls on any CPU today. It's simply not efficient enough. So saying the game is being limited by draw call throughput is simply incorrect. The developers aren't stupid, they know the limits of DX11 and would never design the game to request that many

Plus as I mentioned earlier, they have instancing and batching which both can drastically reduce the amount of draw calls required. I and many others are getting high frame rates at max settings. I'm getting a constant 60 FPS basically, and I would never be able to get that many frames per second if the game was draw call limited.

Its Ubisoft who say its a Draw Call problem, not WCCF, A CPU / API will batch as much as is asked of it, it will simple take longer to do it, its a set of calculations that is bigger than another, if its so big it will simply take too long to do, that causes the latency, it takes longer to calculate than what the GPU can render, the result is the GPU needs to wait.
Use the Star Swarm application, its specifically designed to push maximum Draw Calls to demonstrate the problem DX has with this.

I did this while ago, some what deliberately on an old CPU to emphasize the problem

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t364/Hunbug76/StarSwarm_zps0d6107a5.png (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Hunbug76/media/StarSwarm_zps0d6107a5.png.html)

Carfax83
11-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Dude, the article is from WCCFTech, a website known for shenanigans and click bait. It also has no named Ubisoft representative or employee. They basically said that they sent out emails or whatever, but they don't specify to who they sent those emails out to.

If you want to believe it, go ahead. But to me it's clear that it's just made up..

Anykeyer
11-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Its not about mantle vs dx11. There is no question - mantle can handle more draw calls on the same CPU. But is this a problem in this game? No.Its an AMDs issue. I wont even start about their CPUs. They are bad, take it as a fact. As for their GPUs - it happens for the 3rd time now. AC3 and AC4 were no different
Lets look at this chart
http://www.overclockers.ua/video/gigabyte-gv-n970g1-gaming-4gd/28-gigabyte-gv-n970g1-gaming-4gd.png
Looks familiar? They got same issues with all AnvilNext games and they never cared to fix them.
Now what? Ask developers to add mantle support which hopefully will improve things for them? Thats rich. How about they try to fix their driver first?

If you want to believe it, go ahead. But to me it's clear that it's just made up..Ubi representative calling Ubi game "bad PC port" and "unfinished product on consoles"?Ofc its legit response

youknowwho77
11-14-2014, 08:38 PM
UBI$OFT need to put an option for lowering the density of the crowds. This is ridiculous. :mad: They knew what they were doing from the begining, and they left it that way. If they don't patch this up in the future, I'm never buying a Ubisoft game again. There are lots of other good developers out there, that I'd love to give my money to.

AbundantCores
11-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Its not about mantle vs dx11. There is no question - mantle can handle more draw calls on the same CPU. But is this a problem in this game? No.Its an AMDs issue. I wont even start about their CPUs. They are bad, take it as a fact. As for their GPUs - it happens for the 3rd time now. AC3 and AC4 were no different
Lets look at this chart
http://www.overclockers.ua/video/gigabyte-gv-n970g1-gaming-4gd/28-gigabyte-gv-n970g1-gaming-4gd.png
Looks familiar? They got same issues with all AnvilNext games and they never cared to fix them.
Now what? Ask developers to add mantle support which hopefully will improve things for them? Thats rich. How about they try to fix their driver first?

Ubi representative calling Ubi game "bad PC port" and "unfinished product on consoles"?Ofc its legit response

Slide wars, you hunt the internet for slides to make one vendor look bad and use it to drive home your point and i can do the same to find slides that prove you wrong, we will be here all week and achieve nothing....

A few blanket statement here with no reasoning what so ever.

Its an AMDs issue.

How is it? i have given a lot of technical details here as to what is going on, as have a lot of others reporting on it in the industry.

along comes 'You' and says "no its not, Its an AMDs issue" so you must have a better understanding than anyone, enlighten us, don't just make random blanket statements, explain your reasoning like the rest of us do.

Ubisoft have put some performance issue it down to DX Draw Call limitations, they are right, that is nothing to do with AMD any more than it is Nvidia, i have given a lot of technical detail on this and suggested a remedy for a problem that affects Nvidia and AMD in DX.

You tell me where i, and Ubisoft for that matter are wrong, don't just say "no its wrong" make an intelligent argument if you understand any of this even just a little.

Wrath2Zero
11-15-2014, 01:45 AM
That's why I can get 116fps with Mantle in Sniper Elite 3 with a FX 6300@4.5Ghz/R9 280@1100/1500. it's got nothing to do with AMD hardware being poor. BF4 has great CPU multithreading on AMD and Intel CPUs because they made their engine right. The fact that an i3 beats a FX 8350 in Unity means the game is craply optimised for anything but Intel CPUs, the i3 is a dual core for goodness sake.

Mantle with Sniper Elite 3 and Battlefield 4 run much better than the complete mess that AC Unity is, both on the API side and the biased optimisation side. Intel and NVIDIA fanboys can't see past their own favourite hardware company.

http://i.imgur.com/v2WkM2F.jpg

This is how you properly multi-thread.

I--Skeptik--I
11-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Am I the only one that sees in the quotes of the OP where it says "pooping" instead of "popping" LoLs

I--Skeptik--I
11-15-2014, 02:18 AM
Hey guys,

As previously reported on the Assassin’s Creed Live Updates Blog, our team is furiously working to resolve bugs and performance issues for Assassin’s Creed Unity on all platforms. On PC, some media outlets have misinterpreted a forum post indicating that we were working on resolving issues that were AMD-specific. We apologize for any confusion and want to be clear that we are working with all of our hardware partners to address known issues that exist across various PC configurations. We care deeply about a smooth and enjoyable Assassin’s Creed experience and we will continue to update customers as these issues are fixed via the AC Live Updates Blog.

Why wasn't this being done before release? Simple question.

AbundantCores
11-15-2014, 02:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgpzT5V5Mgs

TotalBiscuit: test with 2x Nvidia GTX 980 CF + i7 5930K, same problems.....

USAdystopia
11-15-2014, 05:29 AM
READERS - - Don't listen to the ignorant morphing to stupid and then to deliberately stupid. ANYONE who spouts that AMD OR Nvidia is crap, garbage etc.,etc. obviously IS deliberately stupid or its equivalent. For this game am using a build with an AMD FX9590 and single as well as Crossfired 7970s. No issues, looks great, no stuttering, good frame rate. 90% of posters who COMPLAIN and bad mouth the hardware are TPBTK (the problem behind the keyboard).

Elcx
11-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Fix. This. Game.

Thank. You. Ubisoft.

Opa-Jack
11-15-2014, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=RecKoNinG_NinE;10338078]lol who needs mantle???? awh yeah that's right AMD because they can hardly keep up with nvidia and intel. AMD need mantle to stand a chance. AMD will always be a step behind always

AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 3 GB (DEneb), GTX 660 oc 2 GB Vram , Asrock Extrem 3 Rev.2 , 12 GB Ram, at 1920x1080 /// game settings can be seen at 7:45

and this is a test pc wo is build out of spare parts i had.

http://youtu.be/9Ve83Daw7Do

AMD as good as enywere else .

Jack :)

Anykeyer
11-17-2014, 07:34 AM
How is it? i have given a lot of technical details here as to what is going on, as have a lot of others reporting on it in the industry.

along comes 'You' and says "no its not, Its an AMDs issue" so you must have a better understanding than anyone, enlighten us, don't just make random blanket statements, explain your reasoning like the rest of us do.

Nvidia's performance and their near perfect GPU scaling make all your claims fake.
You didnt give any details. I wont waste any more time on you.

The fact that an i3 beats a FX 8350 in Unity means the game is craply optimised for anything but Intel CPUs, the i3 is a dual core for goodness sake.

No. It means that AMD got very weak single thread performance. There is a slight problem with Unity's backend leading it to use one core more than others. But if it affects only low end CPUs (AMD CPUs) I see no problems here.
BTW i3 has HT, which basically doubles its performance, making it effectively a quad core CPU. On the other side FX got modules, with each pair of cores sharing some pipeline stages.

Facts:
fixing hardware issues in software is bad and should ever be used only as a last resolve
making your own (vendor specific) standards (like mantle) is bad
blaming others for your own faults is bad

HSmania
11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Nvidia's performance and their near perfect GPU scaling make all your claims fake.

Nvidia's near perfect GPU scaling HAHAHAHA. My goodness that's a good one.

No. It means that AMD got very weak single thread performance.

It could be better, yes. But it not as bad as you are implying.

There is a slight problem with Unity's backend leading it to use one core more than others.

So, there is a problem within the code of the game!

But if it affects only low end CPUs (AMD CPUs)

AMD equals low end CPU? Am I misunderstanding you on this one? If not, wat?

I see no problems here.

Look better.

BTW i3 has HT, which basically doubles its performance, making it effectively a quad core CPU. On the other side FX got modules, with each pair of cores sharing some pipeline stages.

HT does not multiply the amount of cores. Also, it does not double the performance.

Facts:
fixing hardware issues in software is bad and should ever be used only as a last resolve
making your own (vendor specific) standards (like mantle) is bad
blaming others for your own faults is bad

1. Yes, that is correct. But there's a problem with the software...
2. Not necessarily.
3. Yes, Ubisoft should not exclude AMD from the beginning. But then again, Nvidia apparently pays enough to exclude AMD as much as possible.

HSmania
11-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Yes, there is near perfect scaling on nvidia GPUs
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Assassins_Creed_Unity-test-ac_1920_msaa.jpg
980 single vs SLI - 45 vs 80 min fps
But ofc its not the case with AMD, fps on 295X2 is the same as 290X
Who's fault is this? The answer is clear: AMD and their DX11 handling
If there were some major problems in DX11 itself (as claimed) we would have something like 45 vs 46 on nvidia's side too.

No. Its a minor issue with DX. Game itself scales very well, it can almost evenly load at least 16 threads. There is a noticable difference between i5 and i7 CPUs and between i7 on 1150 and 2011 bc of this.
But the backend is more or less single-threaded thanks to DX11. As a result this engine benefits from both single threaded performance and number of cores. This doesnt create any problems unless we deal with low end CPUs. They should be in a trash bin anyway, not trying to run advanced games.

Yes. AMD makes nothing but low end and ultra low end CPUs

HT does double performance in most cases. This is especially evident on dual core i3. Less so on i7 bc even 4 threads are enough for most applications/games.

We dont know who excluded who.

Trying this hard...

Anykeyer
11-17-2014, 01:05 PM
You got nothing intelligent to say. Deal with it.

Nvidia's near perfect GPU scaling HAHAHAHA. My goodness that's a good one.
If there were some major problems in DX11 itself (as claimed) we would have something like 45 vs 46 on nvidia's side too.

So, there is a problem within the code of the game!
No. Its a minor issue with DX. Game itself scales very well, it can almost evenly load at least 16 threads. There is a noticable difference between i5 and i7 CPUs and between i7 on 1150 and 2011 bc of this.
But the backend is more or less single-threaded thanks to DX11. As a result this engine benefits from both single threaded performance and number of cores. This doesnt create any problems unless we deal with low end CPUs. They should be in a trash bin anyway, not trying to run advanced games.

AMD equals low end CPU? Am I misunderstanding you on this one? If not, wat

HT does not multiply the amount of cores. Also, it does not double the performance.
HT does double performance in most cases. This is especially evident on dual core i3. Less so on i7 bc even 4 threads are enough for most applications/games.

Yes, Ubisoft should not exclude AMD from the beginning. But then again, Nvidia apparently pays enough to exclude AMD as much as possible.
AMD prefers to ignore performance problems they got in all AnvilNext games (even in AC3 which lacks nvidia logo btw). They had a full year to properly optimise their drivers for AC4. They didnt.
They are idiots if their answer is making mantle. Most developers/publishers prefer to deal with industry standards. Sure DX got its share of problems, but making vendor-specific workarounds is really bad for industry. So far I saw mantle support only in games directly sponsored by AMD. Mantle has no future and will be forgotten the moment AMD stops paying money for implementing it.

HSmania
11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
You got nothing intelligent to say. Deal with it.

AMD prefers to ignore performance problems they got in all AnvilNext games (even in AC3 which lacks nvidia logo btw). They had a full year to properly optimise their drivers for AC4. They didnt.
They are idiots if their answer is making mantle. Most developers/publishers prefer to deal with industry standards. Sure DX got its share of problems, but making vendor-specific workarounds is really bad for industry. So far I saw mantle support only in games directly sponsored by AMD. Mantle has no future and will be forgotten the moment AMD stops paying money for implementing it.

Being smart isn't your strong side, is it?

Anykeyer
11-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Haha. Butthurt fanboy.

Logic:
Game > API > GPU.
We change GPU vendor and suddenly game runs better and scales well with GPU power
What step (game, API or GPU) is the most likely cause then? Even 7yo with a bit of a brain (sadly you dont have any) can answer that question properly.