PDA

View Full Version : Things we wished were in Unity or in next year's game (Gameplay wise only)

DavisP92
11-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Since I love AC, even if I may not get the next game and might take a break from all Ubisoft games, I still want the series to do well. Playing the game (finally finished it) there were so many things I wished they did better. I figured the last time I did a huge message about what they should do a few years ago (I posted on here about adding co-op, customization, skills, etc.) someone saw it (even if that's not true it makes me happy that Unity has those things I mentioned).

So why not do it again, but this time make a thread and combine everyone's ideas. At the end I'll put all the ideas into one post and leave it on their feedback thread.

Stealth:

The whistle should have never been taken out, that should always be in the game.

the cover system needs work, maybe have a indicator on the screen that shows where we switch to like Splinter cell conviction did.

What happened to assassination on a bench and putting the guard there?

Combat:

Combat is better now, but why did you remove human shields. That needs to come back, especially when dealing with snipers.

A double parry would be interesting (two guards attacking at once)

Guards/Enemies:

Why do the guards (police in the city) attack us when we are helping them? That should be fixed, if they are in a fight and we help them by killing those that they are fighting we shouldn't then be attacked.

NPCs:

It's nice that there are so many NPCs but really they're aren't really doing that much. Yes they are doing more then they used to, but there really was no need for 5000 NPCs when they're just there to fill the screen. Perhaps add more to their animations or cut some down to improve the game in other places.

More interactions with the NPCs would be nice too, more blending opportunities. If there is a group of 3 or so people talking, why would they just let some random guy stand so close to them and hear their conversation without partaking in it. Let the next assassin talk to the NPCs when blending in groups like that

Co-op/Customization (the most important part):

Okay this is the biggest thing in the game and hope they keep it going.

1. Love the customization, but we need more gear.

2. Weapon placement is vital, why would you show screenshots with that but then remove it in the final game? In the image below notice the assassin in brown has a normal one handed sword on his back. Not only that but he is carrying it like Altair was his short-sword. And take it a step further. we're assassins so we should hide some of our weapons, for the stealth class in Unity there is a chest piece that has a vest for armor. then why not put the dagger or daggers under the vest. I would have put mine under and on my back. So all you could see were the handles.

3. We need other weapons too, where are the daggers/short-swords? That would have been perfect for the stealth assassin that wants to fight and move fast. Daggers should be the fastest weapons.

4. Great that you added the health, stealth, range, and combat mini-skills into the gear. But why not take it a step further? The heavier your clothes (health and combat) the slower you are. That would really change your experience.

5. Character creation should be ideal for co-op, have co-op be separate from the single player story. What you guys did with Unity was cool, but this way you can do more with co-op. Have a co-op story, where you create your assassin (race, gender, unique skill) and have us complete the co-op story. The dlcs you can release from then on could be other locations where our assassins travel to complete missions. for example: Co-op story in Italy, but dlc missions in france, and others. Unique skills will be discussed in 6.

6. Sorry but what was the point of communal sense? Why share eagle vision when everyone already has eagle vision. The abilities that we share in this one were a nice first try, but you could have done so much more then this.
a. First lets strip away some of the skills like bombs, range (guns), and poison (berserk/poison bomb). Take away 4 player co-op and put 3 player instead (i know a lot of people will have an issue with this sorry, but just hear me out).
b. So now that we have 3 player co-op, and you have created your assassin you have to pick a unique skill. The three skills are range (bows/guns), poison (sleep, berserk, and original poison), and bombs (distractions, explosives, traps). -Everyone will have the basic smoke bomb though
c. With these three skills your basic skills will be altered to fit that style, bombs would be better at combat, poison will be better at blending, and range will be better at navigation.
d. Now this is where it gets fun, because it's co-op, combining skills is very important. Perhaps i'm only playing with my friend who is using a poison assassin. If I'm using a bow I could combine his poison and my bow to make poison arrows. You get the point. Poison bombs, sleep bombs, berserk bombs, berserk arrow, sleep arrow, bomb arrows.
e. This would make co-op more involved and would generally make players work together more, which is the point of co-op.
f. Some skill upgrades i thought of: Bow - faster nocking, shoot two arrows, shoot further targets, rope arrow (make a zip-line), hold a hostage and shoot an arrow at the same time (Legolas did that i think), etc. Gun - pretty much reload faster, and Rogue's gun features, as well as holding multiple guns... Poison - poison blade, sleep blade, berserk blade, darts of each kind, and the final one could be a blended mechanic where you poison a group of people. So an example would be if you're playing as a female assassin you hold flowers in your hands and have guards smell them. They were laced with poison and boom group of guards are dead or sleeping, etc. Bomb - all the different bombs you can get with the final one being explosive, as well as setting traps.

7. Okay so since you heard the range skill, Unity didn't do range that well. Rifles have no range, they can't shoot as far as the NPCs can half the time. So the range for "ranged weapons" needs to be drastically improved. A bow (if you're using the bow) should be able to shoot someone 2 rooftops away (without the upgrade). Have the assassin adjust his body for the shot, while the reticle stays on the target.

8. Now we all love being master assassins, but I think for the single player we should be master (have every skill) but for co-op we shouldn't ever be masters. We should only be skilled in our parts. That way it makes you really need your teammates.

9. Going along with needing your teammates, having specific guards that are made to beat our class is important. If i'm a bow (range) assassin and I'm doing my own thing and start a fight. There should be a few guards that were specifically made to kill range assassins. So then I will need my friends to take care of them or it'll be hard for me. (not impossible, just hard).

Again these are just some of my ideas, and i don't want to push them on anyone. If you like them then please tell me, if not then tell me what you think would be better. Hopefully we can get some really good ideas on here and someone at Ubisoft will see it and bring back the spark that made Assassin's creed so amazing to a lot of us. I'll edit this and add more if I remember some of my other ideas.

http://cdn4.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ACU_Screen_AssassinsUnited_E3_140609_4pmPST_140214 3754.jpg?eaa32f

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Things I wished were in Unity

-A well-developed, interesting narrative
-A multitude of fleshed out characters
-A chunk of side missions with their own cutscenes and deep subplots
-No requirement to use initiates/companion app/other outside forms of media to unlock all content in-game
-NPCs that feel more alive and less like background (more interactive)
-Better stealth. The cover system just did not work for me. And where the hell is the whistle?

DavisP92
11-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Things I wished were in Unity

-A well-developed, interesting narrative
-A multitude of fleshed out characters
-A chunk of side missions with their own cutscenes and deep subplots
-No requirement to use initiates/companion app/other outside forms of media to unlock all content in-game
-NPCs that feel more alive and less like background (more interactive)
-Better stealth. The cover system just did not work for me. And where the hell is the whistle?

Haha forgot to add the initiates/companion app I agree with you 100%. Side mission cutscenes are a plus too.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 06:57 PM
tl;dnr (kidding, I did read it) -- GET RID OF THE REQUIRED SOCIAL MEDIA CRAP! Of course it's not technically required, but more AC players that I know of are OCD completionists. :D

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Bear in mind with things like why there aren't daggers, why they don't have a weight/speed exchange for more protective clothes, and that kind of thing:

There's a strong possibility that these ideas have already been tested, and they tested badly. Clothes that were slow would simply be ditched by everyone, because there couldn't possibly be a good trade-off between clothing that results in getting hit more but it hurts less, versus a standard level of protection that maintains the ability to run away and not get hit at all. With the improvements in combat now, the slow character would take longer to die in combat but they would die all the same, because they'd never be able to escape a big group.

DavisP92
11-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Bear in mind with things like why there aren't daggers, why they don't have a weight/speed exchange for more protective clothes, and that kind of thing:

There's a strong possibility that these ideas have already been tested, and they tested badly. Clothes that were slow would simply be ditched by everyone, because there couldn't possibly be a good trade-off between clothing that results in getting hit more but it hurts less, versus a standard level of protection that maintains the ability to run away and not get hit at all. With the improvements in combat now, the slow character would take longer to die in combat but they would die all the same, because they'd never be able to escape a big group.

That is true for most games, but AC has already shown that they don't ditch things but rather hold off and try to release them later. AC1 had co-op and horses in cities before it was released. 3 games later horses are in cities, 7 games later co-op.

Your points on the weight factor makes a lot of sense, Idk if everyone would ditch it though. Because I've seen people that play more combat and like to kill so if you have more health/armor then that would work for them. I wasn't expecting them to fight slower just climb and run at the speed of the guards rather than the speed arno does now.

I was really just looking at it to allow different play styles and animations. An armored assassin can take a hit to the shoulder and ignore it and kill his enemy while one with no armor has to dodge that hit and attack. Although now that I think about it, I remember mentioning this way back when counter kills were still in the game. With this new combat system i don't know how it'll work

tl;dnr (kidding, I did read it) -- GET RID OF THE REQUIRED SOCIAL MEDIA CRAP! Of course it's not technically required, but more AC players that I know of are OCD completionists. :D

Lol. Well isn't it required to get 100%? But yea, they need to go, people paid $60+ dollars to play a game and just the game. Not the app, and website as well. Focus on making the game better rather than all of that stuff

Engem
11-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Kill streaks and counter kills need to come back. Disarming, throwing and guard break moves in combat, I definitely want back.
I liked the multiple pistols in ACIII and Black Flag, but I can forgive their loss especially since they included multibarrel/pepperbox pistols in Unity, but they need to bring back the rapid fire. Used to be you could mash the button and "bangbangbang", quickshots in a row. Now it's "bang...bang...bang", unacceptable. I also like having your own musket, not having to grab one off the rack or take one off an enemy. I'd like to see that kept.
The weapon selection wheel needs to come back. I miss being able to change weapons in the middle of battle to suit the situation.
The more slick, smooth, streamlined combat of the previous games I would love to come back. The limiter on attacks needs to go.
I'd really like to see more detailed customization options. I like all the color options they provided in Unity, and the very different clothing/armor selection, but I'd love to be able to do a more detailed, personalized coloring job. Think Fable II.
Also, they either need to explain this "psychic death vision" Arno seems to have whenever he kills a target or they need to bring back the dying confessions.
Anything else I might mention has already been said here.

SLEEPING-PERSON
11-14-2014, 11:12 PM
better combat.

Cactiii
11-14-2014, 11:23 PM
3 and 9 I agree with. For the next game, I would really like to see more social stealth. There were only a few assassination missions which used social stealth at all, and virtually none had an emphasis on it. I would like to see the wall eject functionality return to how it was in previous games, where you could select a direction for it, but apart from that I can't think of anything I would like to see added for traversal. For combat I would like L1 to actually aim the gun again, because the releasing R2 to fire the gun just feels awkward. The whistle feature coming back would be nice too.

rprkjj
11-15-2014, 04:03 AM
About 2/3 of the way through. But I would like to see:

-Deeper customisation options. They've lain a solid groundwork, but I want some more. This goes for skills as well.
-Better lockpicking mini-game. The current system isn't terrible (it's a step up from 3) it's just annoying when I have the proper perk that makes it easy mode and I still lose a lockpick, it can be pretty frustrating.
-Better cover controls. It's annoying when I'm holding L3 left/right-forward to move quickly out of cover and I end up being spotted when I move to parallel cover instead. Also the ability to corner switch without having to leave cover would be nice.
-Wall eject seems to be delayed, it works better in previous games.

That's about all that comes to mind.

Dtreas94
11-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Stealth:

The whistle should have never been taken out, that should always be in the game.

the cover system needs work, maybe have a indicator on the screen that shows where we switch to like Splinter cell conviction did.

What happened to assassination on a bench and putting the guard there?

I was shocked to realise that whistle had been removed! Would have been such a handy skill in ACU, especially considering the supposed emphasis on stealth

Kotza92
11-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Or how about a game that actually furthers the plot and gives a damn about the modern storyline... you know, the entire purpose of the game (modern assassins defeating Abstergo, not 'lets play as a historical person for a few hours and end the game').

devildog789
11-15-2014, 04:29 AM
- TONE DOWN THE GUNS! it's impossible to run away without throwing 5 smoke bombs without getting sniped by pistols. Or at least make them horrible inaccurate. It's frustrating when you're half way up the Bastille, and a guard with a pistol snipes you.

-Combat needs an overhaul again. I prefer the way AC's combat was. It was simple, yet hard. Especially the more elite guards, countering wouldn't work. Now it feels artifically hard because you'll either get raped by 4 attacks which makes Arno incapable of parrying or you get raped by bullets.

- Freerunning needs improving; as it is he'll randomly cling to objects.

-Love the customization, although would like to customize each part of the robes.

- Bring back whistling and body carrying.

-As was said above, improve the the aiming/firing mechanic. It's clumsy and buggy.

That's all for major improvements.

Although, am I the only one that wouldn't mind another AC set in 1100-1200s again? Takes care of the gun problem. And brings to life the Assassins/templars since their respective factions actually existed during those time periods. Again, am I the only one tired of the "bad guys" being random thugs dressed in "whatever color the devs decide on"? At least in the AC, templars were templars; couldn't miss them. I feel the story could be much more fleshed out in a medieval setting, be it in Englad, France, Middle East, etc. Templars were at theire strongest, and Assassins were at their strongest.

One thing that urks me about Unity is not feeling like an assassin. They played a small role, and are you even one at the end?

Just my 2 cents.

DavisP92
11-15-2014, 04:55 AM
-Better lockpicking mini-game
-Better cover controls/corner switch without having to leave cover
-Fix delay in wall eject/directional controlled wall eject

-more social stealth.
-For combat I would like L1 to actually aim the gun again

-Disarming, throwing and guard break moves in combat
-Limiter on attacks needs to change
-Better explanations of mechanics/story (Arno's new after assassination visions)

-Carry Bodies
-Free-Running improvements
-overhaul on combat/guns
-improve aiming

-General improvement on customization

Other ideas from people so far

Kill streaks and counter kills need to come back.
The weapon selection wheel needs to come back. I miss being able to change weapons in the middle of battle to suit the situation.
The more slick, smooth, streamlined combat of the previous games I would love to come back.

Not sure about the kill streaks, i was never a fan. it made it too easy, and i don't think they'll being going back to counter kills since now that would be too easy in the game too. Hopefully they improve the finishers to make them up though. I'm iffy on the weapon wheel, i kinda like the one weapon per assassin.

Although, am I the only one that wouldn't mind another AC set in 1100-1200s again? Takes care of the gun problem. And brings to life the Assassins/templars since their respective factions actually existed during those time periods. Again, am I the only one tired of the "bad guys" being random thugs dressed in "whatever color the devs decide on"? At least in the AC, templars were templars; couldn't miss them. I feel the story could be much more fleshed out in a medieval setting, be it in Englad, France, Middle East, etc. Templars were at theire strongest, and Assassins were at their strongest.

One thing that urks me about Unity is not feeling like an assassin. They played a small role, and are you even one at the end?

I don't think you were which means they just messed up on the story since they didn't do anything after that sequence. I would like to see a game with Altair and his son, when they go to China. That would be cool, or when Altair's son goes to Egypt.