PDA

View Full Version : How to Save this Franchise

ltheghost
11-14-2014, 04:52 AM
Ubisoft,

We love this franchise. We absolutely do. I have been a serious fan of this franchise since the first time I saw Altair in the trailer assassinate that Templar. I hope someone from Ubisoft reads this message and takes it to heart. You can save this franchise. It's not dead or dying, it's heading in the wrong direction. Unity was perfect on paper, but the execution was flawed. Online components are not wanted. When I say this, I mean if you are going to put Companion Apps, Initiatives, Co-op in the game.....they must work FLAWLESSLY, so we can think of them as an after thought. These things must be accessible if we want to try them. Don't tie them to things you KNOW we want (Classic Assassin outfits) and then it doesn't work....

But, I digress the real way to save this franchise is to......BRING DESMOND BACK. This meta idea that the player likes being the player in a game doesn't work. Bring in a real protagonist to the series. Now, I don't know if you are going to wait until the movie comes to introduce a new protagonist but the series would be saved because you have someone that the player is attached to. By having a protagonist you are forced to create a story for that character, not just focus on the past simulation. Bring back Desmond and you won't have to create a new character. Continue the storyline! Fight against Juno! Don't try to throw out the past games. Heck even find a way to bring Ezio back.

And finally...take your time. The real fans will be here waiting on a return to form.

Sincerely,

Lthegost

PS. Look at my post count and join date. You can see that this is serious to me since I'm not very active on these boards.

Steelray25
11-14-2014, 04:58 AM
Just work on polish and QC more. I love the franchise. I'm eager for more AC. But I can patiently wait in the meantime if it means a better product.

The (oh so long) wait for another Red Dead game hasn't diminished my hunger for it. ;) It wouldn't in AC's case either. And a higher quality game would gain back some cred Ubi has lost with recent fiascos. 2 in one year (WDs and ACU)? Bad. 2 ACs in one year? Looks like a money grab (even if Rogue has been well received).

Speaking of.. I wouldn't be against a next gen port of Rogue. (pretty please?)

BurnOutBrighter
11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
- Make the series about assassinations again.

- Heavily reboot the modern day storyline and actually make it meaningful. Get rid of pointless cliffhangers and confusing storytelling in favour of simpler, more focused stories with a clear beginning, middle and end. Don't make it a trilogy arc with a set end date - the "end of the world" story lost steam due to the endless AC2 seqels. Instead, have each game as a self-contained story. Have a main villain in both the past and present day storylines that you face at the end.

- Remove microtransactions completely.

- Fix the combat. I swear, every time they say it's gonna be different. Nope, it's still slow, boring, and sluggish. I don't care how it looks if you rip off Batman Arkham, just use Batman combat. Shadow of Mordor used Batman combat and it was awesome.

- Make the game actually playable on release day.

SaphironX
11-14-2014, 06:06 AM
To save the franchise (and ubisoft's reputation) is simple: Don't rush your games, test them and release them when they're actually finished. That's all I expect as a consumer, give me a product that works.

Also, keep the aliens and artifacts and modern day stuff to a minimum, i like what they've done with it, because it just wasn't working out.

TacoOoMonster
11-14-2014, 06:14 AM
Ubisoft,

We love this franchise. We absolutely do. I have been a serious fan of this franchise since the first time I saw Altair in the trailer assassinate that Templar. I hope someone from Ubisoft reads this message and takes it to heart. You can save this franchise. It's not dead or dying, it's heading in the wrong direction. Unity was perfect on paper, but the execution was flawed. Online components are not wanted. When I say this, I mean if you are going to put Companion Apps, Initiatives, Co-op in the game.....they must work FLAWLESSLY, so we can think of them as an after thought. These things must be accessible if we want to try them. Don't tie them to things you KNOW we want (Classic Assassin outfits) and then it doesn't work....

But, I digress the real way to save this franchise is to......BRING DESMOND BACK. This meta idea that the player likes being the player in a game doesn't work. Bring in a real protagonist to the series. Now, I don't know if you are going to wait until the movie comes to introduce a new protagonist but the series would be saved because you have someone that the player is attached to. By having a protagonist you are forced to create a story for that character, not just focus on the past simulation. Bring back Desmond and you won't have to create a new character. Continue the storyline! Fight against Juno! Don't try to throw out the past games. Heck even find a way to bring Ezio back.

And finally...take your time. The real fans will be here waiting on a return to form.

Sincerely,

Lthegost

PS. Look at my post count and join date. You can see that this is serious to me since I'm not very active on these boards.

Agreed. I was so frustrated not to get my Connor outfit! AC initiates needs to go away, and the chests in the game should not have to be accessed by companion apps either.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Ubisoft,

Sincerely,

Lthegost

Posts like this make it sound like you're entitled or owed something. You have 16 posts? Join date? One could argue that if you *really* loved the franchise you'd have more posts and stick around more, and not be a "fair weather member."

I digress, post count and join date don't really *mean* anything. Ubisoft listens to all ideas and tries to incorporate commonly asked ones that fit their vision. For example, Desmond is gone, the devs have stated as such and there was always a plan to eventually end his story from day one. If they bring him back or not won't *save* the series, because to some, it doesn't need saving.

Unity did this. The focus was to be an Assassin and only kill non-targets when necessary, instead opting for running away or not getting caught in the first place. Get in, kill your target only, get out.

- Heavily reboot the modern day storyline and actually make it meaningful. Get rid of pointless cliffhangers and confusing storytelling in favour of simpler, more focused stories with a clear beginning, middle and end. Don't make it a trilogy arc with a set end date - the "end of the world" story lost steam due to the endless AC2 seqels. Instead, have each game as a self-contained story. Have a main villain in both the past and present day storylines that you face at the end.

For many people, this is what Assassin's Creed is already. It's those that manage to catch the nuances and underlying tone that aren't really important to the story but still give the series an added touch of secrecy.

Also, having a main villain in both time periods for each game seems a bit excessive, especially a "modern time" boss.

- Remove microtransactions completely.

Why? It's meant for people as a time saver and it's completely ignorable. It's not shoved in your face and not really much of a pay-to-win scheme as opposed to just not taking the time to play the game to the fullest. Some people will want to just play Unity for Co-Op and buy allowing microtransactions, they can do that.

It's their loss, really. Not yours.

- Fix the combat. I swear, every time they say it's gonna be different. Nope, it's still slow, boring, and sluggish. I don't care how it looks if you rip off Batman Arkham, just use Batman combat. Shadow of Mordor used Batman combat and it was awesome.

But not realistic in any sense of the word, which is what this franchise is striving for. Yes, certain elements like leaps of faith are not realistic in the least, but it's also iconic to the series. The last thing Unity needs is some sort of "god like strength" with a combo kill multiplier to boot.

It's playable for me, but I do agree with this. Things like Initiates or the Companion App need to work with the game upon release, not weeks later. That being said though, doing away with both of those would be fine by me.

To save the franchise (and ubisoft's reputation) is simple: Don't rush your games, test them and release them when they're actually finished. That's all I expect as a consumer, give me a product that works.

Also, keep the aliens and artifacts and modern day stuff to a minimum, i like what they've done with it, because it just wasn't working out.

And here's a post that gets it in the first line, but proves my point in the second line. The first poster wants Desmond back, the second guy wants a meaningful modern story and the third guy likes where the "modern" line is going, because it wasn't working out.

-------------------------------------------------

By and large, this thread has loads of great ideas, but they are completely subjective. Everyone seems to have their idea as to what saves the franchise but in the end, it's not going to cater to everyone. I love the new combat, but hate that I can't disarm, fight empty handed, use my hidden blades, switch weapons on the fly from either a disarm or the ground, move dead bodies, gentle push, use human shield, etc.

I'm not saying to not have threads where ideas are posted, but "this is what will save the series" is pretty ridiculous because to some, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Lay off for 2-3 years. Concentrate all your resources. Use the time to think over your weaknesses and strengths. In the mean time let people move off to other games, thinking AC is dead... then bam! 2018 new and completely focused AC.

In short do what Crystal Dynamics did to save Tomb Raider. That was an annualized series, and it met its demise because people got bored off the concept. Same as AC. Look at it now. Look at the reception that small teaser at E3 received. (Just ignore the exclusivity deal for the sake of argument :rolleyes:)

But knowing Ubisoft, there'll be a clockwork AC the next year, and the next and the next, gradually tiring even the most fanatics of fans out.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Heck even find a way to bring Ezio back.

( Sigh) >__>

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Remastered AC2 and ACR I'd certainly buy. I'd cream myself to see Istanbul in Unity's engine.

On the other hand, I'd say I'd prefer to let this series die than have Desmond back. Eww..

king-hailz
11-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I don't want Desmond back but I want a character like him back that is actually interesting.

Take a couple years off!
Think about what your gonna do.
Fix the storyline and make a story line that has a clear beginning middle and end in each game (for the modern day).
Make sure there are no bugs!
Optimise them properly for all platforms.
Get jesper kyd back! (Or make him the lead composer, to work with different composers for each game so it still has the ac sound but still sounds fresh!
Get one lead writer who can write the modern day cohesively for each game!
Stop the yearly release and focus on fixing the problems of the last game in the next installment and no make us wait through 3-4 games without a stealth button!

Canned_Player
11-14-2014, 08:02 AM
the core of this franchise was MYSTERY, ABSTERGO, DESMOND, MEMORIES FROM THE PAST.

they broke everything from Brotherhood on. what once was one of the most creative concepts for a game, got totalty perverted, distorted and now destroyed to make room for another concept: annual releases.

the past was a means to decypher the present time, and it was a place you knew it wasnt there really, but you had to complete to get all memories to solve the puzzle.... now the reality doesnt matter, and the past time is becoming a reality.

i wont be surprised if on the next game no one say a single word about the present, because it already ceased to exist.

the creators raped the creation.... they made it his slave, and now people are asking that to do to save? TOO LATE.

topeira1980
11-14-2014, 08:31 AM

A) its already about assassination than any AC game sine AC:r. Pure focused assassination game. Sandbox do-it-your-way AC game just like it should have been!

B) combat in unity is perfect!! Its, IMO, the best combat system the franchise has ever seen. Enemies that actually react and fight back as apposed to the shallow pattern like game style enemies of AC of past! Every move in ACU needs to be calculated. Rank 3 and above AI are actually as talented and capable as arno and super fun and satisfying to fight.
This is the most realistic none game like system i've ever seen and i just wish this system was implemented on a game THAT WORKS!!

C) damn right! ACU is the worst AC game in terms of how it runs. Heck, i have NEVER encountered a game that runs so bad on my PC. It outputs about 30fps less than it should. Only mvidia gamers with 770 and 780 and above get above 40fps and these guys should get over 60. Not to mention ppl like me who struggle with 25...
What a mess. U werent scared of delaying whatdogs. Youshould have done the same here.

Idiots.

Acu is my favorite AC game in terms of gameplay and they effed it ip... Im so mad.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 08:38 AM
they made it his slave

The creation is always its master's slave, unless his name happens to be Victor Frankenstein.