PDA

View Full Version : I love Assassin's Creed and I didn't complain until now...

OrangeFret
11-14-2014, 02:00 AM
I have been a huge fan of Assassin's Creed since the beginning, and this is the first time that I've felt compelled to complain about one of the games. All of them have had flaws, some glaring, but mostly forgiveable. Unity is just one step too far.

First off, I do enjoy the game and I want to continue enjoying it, which is why I'm voicing these concerns.

The movement system in Assassin's Creed has always felt sluggish, which is odd for a game where you're supposed to be a quick and nimble Assassin. I am impressed that they took the time to animate realistic human movement, but the movement in Unity is like slogging through mud. The new climbing system is a particularly bad offender. Arno will leap onto distant objects when I want to move slowely, and refuse to move when I need to get somewhere fast. Lining yourself up to a window for a quick entry is borderline impossible, unless of course you want to go around that window instead. In that case, Arno seems to lock onto it from a mile away.

As if that werenít enough, Arno will frequently just freeze in place. It becomes impossible to move until you fast travel.

I could probably work around the movement if it weren't for the frankly appalling frame rate. The game stutters when walking calmly through the street. I forgave the very, note VERY infrequent frame rate issues of Black Flag because I figured it was a new game on an aging console, and I assumed my ancient XBox couldn't keep up. The PS4 is a brand new and incredibly powerful system. There is no reason that a game released in its second year should cause such a problem.

Revolutionary France is a fantastic setting, but Arno is a terrible character. He comments sarcastically with every sentence and his cavalier attitude is so forced that it's painful to watch. That arrogance is why I hated young Ezio, and it's obvious that Ubisoft is trying to recreate their most popular character in the worst way possible. Also, English accents? All of a sudden native accents are not ok?

On top of all of this it seems like they removed more features than they added. The cover system is terrible. If you can duck you donít need it, and automatically going into cover was so much easier than being stuck there until you press X without holding the joystick (if you touch the joystick then you barrel out into combat while going to the next cover).

You can no longer control your run speed by gently pulling the trigger, now itís either a slow stroll or an all out spring, which makes navigating the numerous small, indoor areas in Unity very frustrating.

Double assassination is impossibly difficult to set up, the jumping range of your character is significantly shortened, and you canít even pick up and move bodies.

Also, not an hour ago, I fell through the ground into an infinite abyss. So thereís that.

That's my rant, the good news is many of these things are fixable and, overall, far from game-breaking. I waited anxiously for this game, I just can't help feeling more than a little disappointed.

TL;DR: Movement system is flawed, framerate is awful, Ubi removed the good things from Black Flag, Arno is a ****.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Re: the window thing, did you know there's a dedicated button for entering windows?

OrangeFret
11-14-2014, 02:44 AM
Re: the window thing, did you know there's a dedicated button for entering windows?

I literally just had that tip pop up a minute ago. It's very useful! Thanks.

phoenix-force411
11-14-2014, 02:49 AM
To be honest, the content of Black Flag was disappointing. Black Flag was a significant downgrade from Assassin's Creed III.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 02:52 AM
There are a number of mechanics issues I'm not happy about in addition to your points above, most of which I agree with.

When engaged with 1 enemy sword fighting, you cannot easily break from that opponent to engage a different one. I've been fighting with 1 guy several times when a different enemy within striking distance pulls a pistol and aims. I try to break from the first guy to engage the second and Arno continues with about 2 or 3 more strikes on the first guy (and I get a finishing award, big deal) meanwhile the second guy shoots me. Same thing happens and a second enemy runs you through with his sword from behind rather than shooting you.

Also, you cannot easily break away from engagement (like when an enemy fighting with someone else nearby and you want to, say, loot other bodies). There used to be a dedicated button for that, you now have to start running away to break.

The boundary sensing area for initiating climbing seems to have increased. IOW when Arno is running, if he comes close to anything to climb, rather than running past it like you want, Arno starts climbing up it. It feels like you can be farther away from it than before when Arno tries to climb which is a PITA.

Engem
11-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Everything that's been said so far, I have experienced and agree with, with the exception of the frame rate. I've only had one or two instances with that, a sudden jerky, stop-and-start movement that has only happened when I was climbing and only lasted a few seconds. Other than that, it's been smooth. And I have no problem with Arno's personality. Try to remember, y'all; virtually every AC character has started out arrogant and bullheaded, but they grew up and matured. (I'm thinking of Ezio especially here) Give the kid some time. And bear in mind, he IS French.

It seems like the developers tried way too hard to deliver a new AC experience. I feel it's safe to say that they performed major surgery and botched it. I love realism in gaming as much as anyone, but this is still a game. Virtual reality. Bending the rules is kind of the whole point. They took tried and true, longtime features and either downsized them, oversensitized them, or removed them completely.

The removal of consumables pouches (i.e. ammo, medicine, bombs, etc.), kill streaks, counter kills. These are mostly feasible, accurate and ESSENTIAL to the AC gaming experience. And they are gone.
The enviroment interaction (climbing, cover, free running). I ran through a burning warehouse and found myself CLIMBING boxes instead of vaulting over them. It's stupidly hard to climb in a window from the outside. I've had more than one experience of Arno dancing around on the wall going around and around the window when I'm trying to get in.
The lack of correct accents. More typos than I can justify as "screen blindness" oversights.
The ridiculous limitations placed on combat. Attacks are slow and cumbersome, you can only chain together three attacks in a combo before Arno STOPS attacking entirely to "recover". The quickshot move is, at best, unreliable in the heat of combat.
Uplay is completely unreliable. I used it to obtain a belt for Arno and it never unlocked in the game. I can't even get back to the Uplay Rewards screen now.
And last but not least, the absurd amount of equipment that's been locked out with Co-op/Multiplayer requirments. (see my thread "No Love For The Solo Gamer?" for more on that.)

I was going to wait until I finished the game before listing these complaints, but I just couldn't take it anymore, especially after seeing I'm not the only one. So in closing, I just want to say: Ubisoft, y'all f#%@ed up on this one.