PDA

View Full Version : 12th Century Medieval England for next story?

Grimezyy
11-13-2014, 03:49 PM
The last 2 Assassins Creed games have lacked story and for me, interest. American revolution was boring, and pirates got pretty boring after a while too. Neither of them had a compelling story with unique characters for me, Connor Kenway was perhaps the most un-interesting character I have ever played in a video game, And now with the release of unity, i yet again fear that Ubisoft hasn't delivered on the story aspect of the game, So where does the next game take us, assuming they don't revisit Paris again next time,One setting interests me. A period in the 12th century known as 'The Anarchy' refers to the nineteen year winter. If you haven't heard of it before, look it up. I believe Ubisoft could create a beautiful game in this time period. Do away with guns, and go back to basics with swords, axes, hammers, lances etc.. Imagine the vast number of cathedrals around at the time, these rebuilt using the anvil engine could be incredible. Towns & cities would be small, meaning the need to create different locations like they had in AC2 rather than one huge city, The events that took place during this period could really make for an intriguing story and characters. Anyone else with me on this as a cool setting for the next AC game to really push itself to the limit of what it can do?

Fatal-Feit
11-13-2014, 04:06 PM
The last 2 Assassins Creed games have lacked story

That's when you lost me.

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm sure it would be okay, but it sounds like a waste of England to me. I'd much rather see Elizabethan England, with the famous royal spying network, or very late Victorian England/early Edwardian England for the fin de siècle atmosphere (and to have all the best architecture in place - Pugin's especially), or something based around Charles II's reign (a mixture of wealth and chaotic events, a sense of modernism).

VestigialLlama4
11-13-2014, 04:52 PM
The last 2 Assassins Creed games have lacked story and for me, interest. American revolution was boring, and pirates got pretty boring after a while too. Neither of them had a compelling story with unique characters for me, Connor Kenway was perhaps the most un-interesting character I have ever played in a video game, And now with the release of unity, i yet again fear that Ubisoft hasn't delivered on the story aspect of the game, So where does the next game take us, assuming they don't revisit Paris again next time,One setting interests me. A period in the 12th century known as 'The Anarchy' refers to the nineteen year winter. If you haven't heard of it before, look it up. I believe Ubisoft could create a beautiful game in this time period. Do away with guns, and go back to basics with swords, axes, hammers, lances etc.. Imagine the vast number of cathedrals around at the time, these rebuilt using the anvil engine could be incredible. Towns & cities would be small, meaning the need to create different locations like they had in AC2 rather than one huge city, The events that took place during this period could really make for an intriguing story and characters. Anyone else with me on this as a cool setting for the next AC game to really push itself to the limit of what it can do?

A war setting, especially something as obscure as The Anarchy is realistically not something Ubisoft will go for. The games are about Assassinations not fighting war, its about intrigue, cloak and dagger, hiding among people, crowds and monuments.

All the settings used by Ubisoft have been iconic settings, that is to say something that people who don't know history will know. People know the Crusades, they know the Renaissance, they know the Pirate Era, the know the American and French Revolutions.

For England, the only two settings that are really iconic, in terms of history, number of prominent historical figures and landmarks is the Elizabethan and Victorian Era.

Elizabethan and Jacobean Age is England's Golden Age but it was also a time of great violence in England, highly repressive atmosphere, London becoming a major city, the writing of the King James Bible, Shakespeare, Marlowe, John Dee, Walter Raleigh, Francis Drake. You have the Spanish Armada, Irish pirates like Grace O'Malley, you can have sailing big time, since Piracy was covertly supported by the Queen. Also you can use sword and gun and weapons.

The Victorian Age is of course iconic but its too stable, not enough assassinations, also you will trains, electricity and other stuff closer to the 20th Century. So personally, I think if they ever do England, they will go for the Elizabethan Era.

m4r-k7
11-13-2014, 04:58 PM
I would absolutely love this. I would preferably want Elizebthan England.