PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubisoft Take a Year Off in 2015?

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Hey, Everyone.

So as the title says, do you think Ubi should take the year off from AC in 2015?

Don't get me wrong, I love and respect the work Ubi puts into their games, but taking a well deserved break shouldn't hurt right? Not to mention we have not only one, but TWO AC games to keep us occupied until they are ready to come back and bring about something new and fresh.

This isn't me saying: "Yearly releases are destroying the franchise!!!" Just a suggestion as all from a dedicated fan.

But what about you?

No AC for 2015? Or do you think it should be longer? Maybe two years? Three? Five?

Feel free to discuss. ;)

OpticSpecs
11-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Agreed, They should take an extra year to develop a game.

Free-Fall_
11-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Absolutely.

Minsooky
11-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Yes, just because of the glitches I've been running into. I can't even play Unity because it freezes up before the title screen T_T Please...I can wait another year if this means less game-breaking glitches.

shobhit7777777
11-13-2014, 07:03 AM
I'd prefer they un-**** themselves and take a 5 years off. Their creative juices seem to be running dry and their ethical compass also seems askew given the microtransactions in ACU. Ubisoft is well on its way to encourage its fans to adopt a militant attitude.

Free-Fall_
11-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Ubisoft makes EA seem... well, less of a terrible company in whole. Perhaps not even worthy of being the worst company of the year for a 3rd year in a row, if not the 4th. That in itself is scary.

Go EA - Keep trying to improve, Ubisoft will take your place as the worst company in the video game industry!

Sigv4rd
11-13-2014, 07:24 AM
By all means take three years off... Hell reboot the franchise when you come back.

Ghaleon80
11-13-2014, 07:25 AM
If they can keep making good games as often as they do now no.

Free-Fall_
11-13-2014, 07:28 AM
If they can keep making good games as often as they do now no.

LOL! You ARE joking, yes?

Ubisoft hasn't been consistent with anything since 2010. They have a reputation for taking massive dumps on the PC community, they are terrible at coding, programming and optimizing their games. The only game coming out that could even redeem them as a studio is Far Cry 4. The Division? I have SERIOUS doubts about that one. Rayman series is about the only franchise that has been consistent.

They even decided to not do a follow-up on Blood Dragon, which was a stroke of pure genius! They need an overhaul as a studio. Take a break, get their act together.

Ghaleon80
11-13-2014, 07:42 AM
LOL! You ARE joking, yes?

Ubisoft hasn't been consistent with anything since 2010. They have a reputation for taking massive dumps on the PC community, they are terrible at coding, programming and optimizing their games. The only game coming out that could even redeem them as a studio is Far Cry 4. The Division? I have SERIOUS doubts about that one. Rayman series is about the only franchise that has been consistent.

They even decided to not do a follow-up on Blood Dragon, which was a stroke of pure genius! They need an overhaul as a studio. Take a break, get their act together.

Nope i am not i like the games they make not all gamers have the same likes and dislikes.

Fatal-Feit
11-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Yes!

I have no doubt the next few installments will be great, but I'm also certain they will be glitchy and unoptimized. What Ubisoft need to do is take a break, for just one Holiday at least.

If they're desperate for $$, or need Assassin's Creed to stay relevant, just release a Rogue HD or pretty much any HD/Remakes from last-gen. Pull a Halo, I don't care. They just need time for their future projects to work!

king-hailz
11-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Well you know I'm gonna say yes! They really need to take at least a year off... I think they should take a year off every year! Or maybe do this....

Make the last gen game one year and the next gen game the next year... or fill that extra year with watch dogs or something.. I actually would like an AC game to come out every two year! There will be a bigger change between the two games and it will give us more time with the last game... and to be honest the wait is good for sales... look at mortal kombat 9 they made one fighting game after nearly 1 years and it is the best selling fighting game of all time... They need to make it a two or three year franchise... and actually start working on the next game after the previous one is finished... so they can properly progress the story and take the criticisms of the last into account...

projectpat06
11-13-2014, 09:03 AM
I for one think Unity is one of their top AC games to date, but I agree that a year or two off would be great for the franchise.

I would like to see them make a remastered AC2 with the same engine and mechanics used in Unity instead. Think of florence and venice on a one to one scale with those large crowds.

Will_Lucky
11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Easy solution, redo the Ezio trilogy on AnvilNext and release that in 2015 while bulk of the team works elsewhere.

dxsxhxcx
11-13-2014, 11:04 AM
IMO they should take (at least) 3 years off between each game from now on, let us miss the franchise a little.. and in the meantime put the whole team working in a single AC game instead of several teams working in parallel and review a few decisions they've made for the franchise like this whole app thing and community events that'll end up being dropped sooner or later...

CoachAssassin
11-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Why does everyone keep assuming they only work 1 year on a game >_>. Unity was being thought about/ worked on around the same time as AC3 and so on. The only games that I can remember being made in a year or less are ACRev and ACrogue. As for 2015, they definitely should but they definitely will not. If they take that extra year into the cycle, they can still spam yearly releases but now with an extra year of development. That takes a year sacrifice though. Or just drop something like ACunity 2 for those who need it or w/e. Or hey, go all out with DLC's for all we care.

shobhit7777777
11-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Easy solution, redo the Ezio trilogy on AnvilNext and release that in 2015 while bulk of the team works elsewhere.

Dunno how easy it is....but I'd certainly like to play the Ezio games on the AC3 engine....complete with all the mechanical additions and animations.

Bigodon
11-13-2014, 12:59 PM
no brainer hell yeah
maybe more extra year stack in this one

i want my ultimate AC experience smooth for humans computer and console able to play and eye candy like naughty dog do.

RinoTheBouncer
11-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Part of me wants a new Assassin’s Creed every six months, because I adore this franchise so much that now that I finished both games in just 3 days, I don’t know how I’ll be able to wait till next year to have the next installment.

The other half of me thinks that games like Metal Gear Solid take their time in development that we get merely 1 or 2 games max in a generation’s life cycle but the result is always a theatrical masterpiece that deserves every bit of the 10/10 that it gets, so if AC tries a similar approach, I’m pretty sure that the development team, the story writers and the directors will have enough time to brainstorm great ideas, and choose them wisely because since less games are being released, then each game’s gotta be well planned and perfectly made to be worth the wait. I’m not saying that the games here are half-as*ed messes but any artist (and game developers are artists since video games are definitely a form of art) when given enough time, they’ll come up with something remarkable and distinguished.

I know that every game is made some years before, but when different studios work on the same product, a lot of stuff get lost. When the games used to be very connected, I felt like I’m in the same atmosphere, like I’m watching a T.V. series and always eager for the next episode. Now, with Unity and Rogue, it became clear that the games have been turned to self-contained stories, the whole sense of watching a T.V. series has gone and it feels like the games are being developed on the basis of trail and error rather than well-planned writing and development. Each new game, they experiment on something new that fades away in the next. And another thing is that the feedback doesn’t always get there easily. Since games are being developed before their predecessors even came out, the feedback received from past games cannot always be implemented in the next and that’s a major problem.

I personally enjoyed AC:Unity and Rogue and I disagree with reviews giving it 6s and 7s, because that game is definitely not that bad nor that glitchy. I adored Shay and the love story of Elise and Arno, but imagining that Unity came out in 2016 or 2017, I’m sure it would’ve been a lot more perfect. I was disappointed that Juno, who was a major character in ACIII and ACIV turned into some optional objective that you can read some notes about. That part really bothered me cause it the audio message by Juno that AC:I and ATA released a few days before launch, gave me hope that she’ll do something big here. At least one appearance. But no, nothing was there. That part bothered me a lot, along with Elise’ unnecessary death.

It seemed to me like they’re trying to make us forget Juno and the First Civ. and deliberately killed Elise to avoid people from asking for a sequel as she’s a really interesting character that deserves her own game. I loved the fact the we can unlock the Sword of Eden, as for the first time in ages, a game actually gave you something that changes the way you play. The combat was hard throughout the whole game, and I took a more stealthy approach than any other AC game before, but after getting the Sword of Eden, I started becoming more of a bad-a*s fighter, and that felt really rewarding.

So if you ask whether I love Rogue and Unity, I do. Do I regret buying them? of course not. Do I think the games would’ve been better if they were given another 2-3 years? definitely.

I believe if Ubisoft waits till 2016 or 2017 to well craft a new and different experience, maybe in Egypt, Iraq, India or China. New characters, new atmosphere, new features, more connections with past games and actually solving and progressing the loose ends of the past stories, everybody will be so happy because it will be a rich new experience.

I greatly enjoyed co-op missions. They’re exceptionally better than I expected them to be. However, I’m ready to let go of any multiplayer elements in favor of having a perfectly crafted and fulfilling single player experience. If Ubisoft is willing to make more self contained stories, the endings should be more fulfilling and longer than the ones we got in ACU and AC:Ro and if they’re to connect the games like they used to, then they definitely need to bring back the strong, jaw-dropping cliffhangers because those were one of the main reasons I ADORED AC from day one.

Journey93
11-13-2014, 01:48 PM
of course but those greedy guys up there will never take a year off until the franchise has gone to ****
just imagine if Unity had another year things would have been more polished, the story better but nope they rush it and release
two freaking AC's in a year

the franchise needs to take at least 2 years off so people actually want a AC again but like with COD the Publishers won't let that happen

Megas_Doux
11-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes!

Had this been in the works for 6 months or even one year more, it would have been more polished not only in the performance department, but some gameplay areas as well.. And I know this "4 years cycle" thing, but it is not the same have having three people working into something, that six or seven and that is because well, there are god knows how many AC´s in the oven right now...

JustPlainQuirky
11-13-2014, 02:20 PM
yes.

i thought yearly releases wouldnt matter given unity's dev time.

clearly that isnt the case

take the year off

ze_topazio
11-13-2014, 02:28 PM
If anything a one year break would allow fans to breath a bit, they could resume the annualization after that, just a coffee break to recharge energy.

They have many years to make the games, but the divided teams working on the several different aspects of the game and the well defined release dates don't allow them to properly polish things.

Sometimes everything goes right like AC4, other times everything goes wrong like AC3 and sometimes we have Unity in which the game itself was properly finished but the technical problems are off the charts.

Megas_Doux
11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Another point is that Ubisoft´s public image seems to be really hurt, they should let things calm down for a while or release some free good stuff lol..... "Sales" will tell, though..

meernja
11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Another point is that Ubisoft´s public image seems to be really hurt, they should let things calm down for a while

I agree entirely, the unfortunate backlash from the release of Unity and Rogue I dare say would take some recovery time. Take a year off, get used to next gen development and come back with another great game :cool:

thewhitestig
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
On every game they make they should take their normal planned time for development + 6 months to a year of additional time for QA and polish. Honestly I was fine with AC games coming out every year. I wanted them. But now after seeing how bad they could turn out on a technical level I would've preferred if they took their time. I really hope they push their 2015 release to 2016. But if they do that I'm not sure what they'll fill 2015 with besides The Division.

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Good to hear your feedback, guys... :)

ze_topazio
11-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Good to hear your feedback, guys... :)

It's not like I did it for you, I just felt like it, baka!!!

thewhitestig
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Ashraf Ismail says here that the development time for Black Flag was 2 and a half years.
http://youtu.be/0JX6rMjY0SY?t=1m48s

Wikipedia says that the development of Unity started right after Brotherhood. That would mean 4 years. I seriously doubt that. The bulk of the development was probably done in no more than 2 years. And that's certainly not enough considering how grand the scale and scope of that game really is. Black Flag could have used another 3-6 months too. Watch Dogs definitely. They should have released Watch Dogs right now while pushing Unity for Spring 2015.

JustPlainQuirky
11-13-2014, 04:09 PM
This whole year has been a bad year for Ubisoft.

They're biting off too much than they can chew and are making some anti-consumer business decisions.

I say take a year off and do something nice for the fans as compensation. Like free DLC or something I dunno.

MaceoniK
11-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Now that the game engine ground work has been established with AC U, there's no need to take a year off now. I expect next years game to be akin to AC 2's improvement over AC 1 and AC 4's improvement over AC 3.

I think whenever a new generation of AC games begins on a newly re-designed game engine e.g. AC 3 and AC U, ubisoft should take a year off to really iron out the kinks.

ColdBloodedVet
11-13-2014, 04:49 PM
This whole year has been a bad year for Ubisoft.

They're biting off too much than they can chew and are making some anti-consumer business decisions.

I say take a year off and do something nice for the fans as compensation. Like free DLC or something I dunno.

I agree with that! I say release Rogue on current gen and pc for $40 as compensation for the Unity issues. I will probably catch a lot of flack for this one but: I want AC every year! If they did what somebody else suggested and made a Halo Collection-ish AC package for next year that would give them one year extra on all of the projects they have working now then they could go back to the yearly releases. I don't think Ūnity is terrible but it's not what it could be either. I can see what Ubi was attempting to do and if they squish all the bugs it's going to be a great game. I think they need more time with these new consoles.

A year off from a new AC tiltle would be good but there of lots of us who still want the a yearly AC fix in the Fall. I really hope they can get it sorted out soon. I really feel for those who are experiencing game breaking issues. Mine haven't made the game unplayable (So far). And if you can get some good screen time in with no issues you can see that Ūnity is really step up from previous installments in all areas including graphics, mechanics, and customization. Say what you want but you have to admit that what wehave now is better than just changing the color of your cape.

I hope Ubi finds a way to make it up to us. Especially those of us who preordered this. Gonna catch more flack for this one: AC games are the only ones I preorder. Everything else I buy is after the release and sometimes used. With that being said, even though I don't have huge complaints about the game,I expect to get $60 worth of game when I preorder. I don't mind it being 900p and 30 fps because when the game is hitting those numbers it looks good. Really good.

If Ubi can get something sorted to make up for this then do some HD remakes for next year, I think yearly releases will be in order. But they have to work on story continuity issues because you can tell that different studios are making their own games. That's why we have to have so much "out of game" content like initiates and all the graphic novels because of the enormous plot holes each game leaves behind. But that's for another thread.

UBISOFT I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOU!!

xbl_xtro1
11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Ubi has the best games coming up next week FC4 and The Crew are both looking fantastic The Division, Rainbow Six are looking amazing for next year.... ACU is a wonderful game (when fluid) ...

I think they have already planned on focusing on new IPs and reviving older ones. Yes it's true that AC should maybe take a 2-3 year break now. Not because of an aging gameplay but because of the storyline.

ubi has become the 2nd best studio for of Open World games which is great. So all this hate orchestrated by the media might be related to the company being french... and a failed attempt to be acquired by EA a few years back. maybe they'll try again.

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 05:23 PM
It's not like I did it for you, I just felt like it, baka!!!

Haha, I feel like I've seen that line before... :confused: :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 05:51 PM
No they should simply stop letting money get in the way of integrity.
Its clear from the beginning they strived for X1 parody when the x1 version runs better than both the PS4 version AND PC versions.. the 2 machines that should be able to handle the game better....
Its BS really that they stooped to this level in hopes of being the next COD (financially)

GunnerGalactico
11-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Haha, I feel like I've seen that line before... :confused: :rolleyes:

You do realise that he just called you an idiot in Japanese, right?

ze_topazio
11-13-2014, 05:56 PM
I was just being a tsundere.

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 06:07 PM
You do realise that he just called you an idiot in Japanese, right?

Yes, I just ment the line.

Never mind. :p

@ze

:rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
11-13-2014, 06:13 PM
I was just being a tsundere.

That's a bit out of character for you.

Yes, I just meant the line.

Never mind. :p

Come to think of it, it does sound familiar. :p

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 06:28 PM
I like yearly releases, but ONLY if they put in the resources to make it work. Clearly that didn't happen with Unity.

If the disaster they call AC: Unity is what comes of 4 years of development, they either need more development time, more staff or better staff, because this is not the level of professionalism that I expect from Ubisoft.

Kakuzu745
11-13-2014, 06:35 PM
They should take as many years off as they need to develop a proper game without glitches, day one issues and a compelling story. I really do not care if that means waiting two or three years...I prefer to wait instead of what is happening right now.

A lot of aspects of Unity, yearly rushed releases being one of them, embody what is wrong with the videogame industry nowadays.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 06:42 PM
It's not necessarily that they need more time between releases (after all, if they had more people they could do it faster), but I think one release per year should be the limit. After all, this year we got two AC games, so they're doing more than one per year, and clearly, judging by the quality of Unity (or rather the lack of it), it's too much.

I think they got greedy. They wanted the money and they were willing to cut corners in terms of development resources.

What they should have done was release Rogue this year and Unity next year. But they probably felt a lot of pressure to get out a game that took full advantage of this generation of consoles.

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 06:42 PM
They should take as many years off as they need to develop a proper game without glitches, day one issues and a compelling story. I really do not care if that means waiting two or three years...I prefer to wait instead of what is happening right now.

A lot of aspects of Unity, yearly rushed releases being one of them, embody what is wrong with the videogame industry nowadays.

I Agree...not that I hate Unity, it just could've been better.

SlyTrooper
11-13-2014, 06:44 PM
No, I don't believe they should. Just because there has been a lot of criticism towards ACU doesn't mean that the AC series is failing. The same happened with AC3 & then we got ACIV; the best game in the franchise at the time.

No matter what people say, the franchise always feels new & interesting for me every year. It would really upset me if they took an extra year off because it shouldn't be necessary. They had all the time in the world to set a good development cycle when Brotherhood & Revelations were in production (they were pretty much filler until AC3 despite how good they were).

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Maybe its in the plans.
Id actually be more excited to see an AC1-AC3 nextgen port collection hit shelves next year and get AC V in 2016
What are they calling it these days, definitive collection? lol

HiddenKiller612
11-13-2014, 06:48 PM
I think they need to stop over loading a game with side crap... We don't need a companion app for each game... we certainly don't want to have to be signed into Initiates in order to unlock things either... If they stopped trying to incorporate as much BS as they can into the game, things might go a little bit smoother.

Sushiglutton
11-13-2014, 06:54 PM
First off Ubi should take a giant step back and literally f...

Anyway I def think they need to take a break. If you read the reviews many of them hints at franchise fatigue. Ubisoft have simply hit a creative wall when it comes to creating missions and side content. There's too much repetition and several of these activties were not fun to begin with (tailing, chasing, collectatons etc). It's perfectly understandable that this happens when you create a mission/day for several years. They need to slow down a bit and figure out what players should acually do in these beautiful worlds of theirs.

Then they should put together an A-team headed by Darby (the best writer) and Ashraf Ishamail (the best director) and give those guys enough time and gold to create a new Ocarina of f*-ing Time. Let them build a game they are passionate about without the business department constantly destroying the creative process by adding junk like Initiates and microtransactions. And the most important thing: Let the creators finish their work!

Then maybe the dynamic duo DarbAsh can save the franchise once more!

This is ofc unreasonable and said kind of tongue in cheek, but there's some truth to it me thinks

jpbach01
11-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Supposedly this game has been in development for 4 years so I really don't know how much it would help, but I prefer to look at it like this: Ubisoft shouldn't be allowed to release another AC game until they're last AC game is up to snuff. Now obviously there's nothing to literally stop them, but if the customers refused to buy the next iteration until the current one is running as it should, they would get the message. I had the same thinking about BF4, and even though Hardline really doesn't interest me I'm pleased to say they got their act together. I let Ubisoft off the hook with AC3, and AC4 ran really well for me (other than the usual frame rate issues) so I bought Unity, but if they plan on giving this game a lick and a promise and moving on to some new game next year while this one is still a broken mess... As much as it pains me to say it, this will be my last time traveling journey courtesy of the AC franchise.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I think they need to stop over loading a game with side crap... We don't need a companion app for each game... we certainly don't want to have to be signed into Initiates in order to unlock things either... If they stopped trying to incorporate as much BS as they can into the game, things might go a little bit smoother.

I'm actually glad they are trying new things like this..nothing wrong with innovation.
They are using the 'refresh' of the series to test things out rather than a numbered title (a staple)
There are a lot of things in unity we dont need... stats attached to clothing..skill trees.. environmental stealth mechanics.... descending parkour.. co op....
Its everything people cried for.. i applaud them for at least trying, hopefully they learn from this failure...
I see this game as the AC1....
Some people will love it, some will hate it.
I see this engine being the new foundation.

Sushiglutton
11-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Just looking at the icon-jammed mapped gives me nightmares lol.

HiddenKiller612
11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm actually glad they are trying new things like this..nothing wrong with innovation.
They are using the 'refresh' of the series to test things out rather than a numbered title (a staple)
There are a lot of things in unity we dont need... stats attached to clothing..skill trees.. environmental stealth mechanics.... descending parkour.. co op....
Its everything people cried for.. i applaud them for at least trying, hopefully they learn from this failure...
I see this game as the AC1....
Some people will love it, some will hate it.
I see this engine being the new foundation.
I don't think locking outfits, chests, and other things to outside mediums is "innovative" it is annoying to say the least.

Shahkulu101
11-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Yes they should, unfortunately next years game is probably scheduled and the devs are rushing to meet the deadline. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's unacceptable that they released a game so half baked. Even more shocking since they delayed the game. Clearly needed more than just two weeks! Oh well, hopefully I'm lucky and don't experience that many glitches - like when I played AC3 and the game worked fine for me.

jpbach01
11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Couldn't agree more. I mean look at the Arkham series. Not an annual release, but when they do release them people buy it in droves because they know what kind of quality they can expect from Rocksteady. With Ubisoft rapidly moving on EA's title of "most hated company in gaming", they're alienating much of their loyal fanbase and will end up just like EA, where people refuse to buy their games no matter how interesting they look bc of the logo on the bottom right corner of the game's case.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 07:07 PM
With Ubisoft rapidly moving on EA's title of "most hated company in gaming", they're alienating much of their loyal fanbase and will end up just like EA, where people refuse to buy their games no matter how interesting they look bc of the logo on the bottom right corner of the game's case.

Sadly, it does seem to be headed in that direction. It used to be that Ubisoft could be trusted to put out a solid product, but that was in the days when Patrice Desilets was overseeing the AC franchise.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Couldn't agree more. I mean look at the Arkham series. Not an annual release, but when they do release them people buy it in droves because they know what kind of quality they can expect from Rocksteady. With Ubisoft rapidly moving on EA's title of "most hated company in gaming", they're alienating much of their loyal fanbase and will end up just like EA, where people refuse to buy their games no matter how interesting they look bc of the logo on the bottom right corner of the game's case.
Arkham Origins.

I don't think locking outfits, chests, and other things to outside mediums is "innovative" it is annoying to say the least.
Agreed, but that is why I said 'like this' instead of 'this'
Clearly they are trying to milk and get ad rev, which is a shame.
But it makes me wonder, why? Ether ubisoft heads have a thirst for personal gain which i HIGHLY doubt.. or they have a massive budget for ACV they are trying to justify.... So ill use any apps they want for just that type of wonder.
It does however suck that 'next gen'/current gen right now is so focused on connectivity..networks...
Almost halving a game.. its clear they are going for the 'now' sell and move on rather than making games they expect people to go back to for decades... which AC to me actually has been until AC4

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Part of me thinks "yes", but things could change.

I'm alright because I'm on PC and my computer runs this game very smoothly, but I understand the console players are livid about the incomplete polish and optimisation. They're right in some ways, but when Ubisoft eventually comes back with a game just as complex as this one which works much better, that's not going to be entirely a case of Ubisoft sorting itself out at last. There will be a certain number of improvements as the code teams gain understanding of these architectures, but they're not the only programmers who will be improving their work.

It's easy to forget that MS and Sony's programming teams are also going to be improving the operating systems, and these are still early days in these consoles' lives. There will be improvements in system updates that will transform the abilities of these machines. Ubisoft deserve criticism for what's happened with Unity for all sorts of reasons, but it should also be remembered that they're swimming against the tide right now as far as the technical side goes. Next year, there will be fewer barriers inside the consoles themselves to making a high-performance game.

Arkham Origins.

Not Rocksteady, although it was WB. They got a ton of criticism for Arkham Origins, exactly along the lines that it was too much like City and that they were milking the franchise.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Not Rocksteady, although it was WB. They got a ton of criticism for Arkham Origins, exactly along the lines that it was too much like City and that they were milking the franchise.

I know it wasnt rocksteady, but its the same thing lol.
Origins wasnt up to par and sold based on its name alone.
Uncharted wouldve been a better example :D

F3nix013
11-13-2014, 07:13 PM
I am a dedicate fan as well and i believe they really SHOULD take some time off and rethink their mechanics and story. I only played Unity this year because after i played BF, i cant stand naval battles and i dont like filler games. Unity had mechanics that were too sensitive and sometimes didnt even work. The story for it definitely lacked content as there really wasnt anything explained about the pieces of Eden. The main mission of the game was about the sage and any info you got about him was at the beginning of the game. I hated the ending for 2 reasons, the girl dying (why is it always the hot girl?) and only a brief statement from bishop saying Abstergo wont waste time in the catacombs. Other than that, there was NOTHING in the main story that explained anything about what was going on in the outside world.

I dont know if the lack on content in the story was because of them working on 2 games at the same time which meant less manpower in creating everything or if they really couldnt come up with a better story. Either way, i think they need to take more time with the next game and make sure they have plenty of time dedicated to the story and mechanics of the game. It feels like this game was either rushed or just didnt have enough people working on it to create a better game.

Kakuzu745
11-13-2014, 07:37 PM
First off Ubi should take a giant step back and literally f...

Anyway I def think they need to take a break. If you read the reviews many of them hints at franchise fatigue. Ubisoft have simply hit a creative wall when it comes to creating missions and side content. There's too much repetition and several of these activties were not fun to begin with (tailing, chasing, collectatons etc). It's perfectly understandable that this happens when you create a mission/day for several years. They need to slow down a bit and figure out what players should acually do in these beautiful worlds of theirs.

Then they should put together an A-team headed by Darby (the best writer) and Ashraf Ishamail (the best director) and give those guys enough time and gold to create a new Ocarina of f*-ing Time. Let them build a game they are passionate about without the business department constantly destroying the creative process by adding junk like Initiates and microtransactions. And the most important thing: Let the creators finish their work!

Then maybe the dynamic duo DarbAsh can save the franchise once more!

I agree with you so much...

I Agree...not that I hate Unity, it just could've been better.

So much better my friend :S

By the way, speaking of yearly releases being synonyms of rushing things...it has also been synonym withstop supporting the previous games which could result in , for example, no Community Challenges or not resolving the issues the previous game had. Meaning...if you are one of those optimists that think that in 7 months the game will be polished at its best, by then they will probably have announced the next game of the series and move on.

Ubi really needs to take a break...

dxsxhxcx
11-13-2014, 08:09 PM
But it makes me wonder, why?

Clearly they are trying to milk and get ad rev

you answered your own question..

you don't annualize a franchise to help the poor in Africa, that's for sure...

wickywoowoo
11-13-2014, 08:12 PM
I hope the message above by Azarael does not contain a spoiler about Unity as I will be furious if I have had the game spoiled like this. Ridiculous.

Namikaze_17
11-13-2014, 08:15 PM
I agree with you so much...

So much better my friend :S

"I will not weep, and wonder what might have been." :rolleyes:

Ubi really needs to take a break...

Agreed. :)

dxsxhxcx
11-13-2014, 08:18 PM
I hope the message above by Azarael does not contain a spoiler about Unity as I will be furious if I have had the game spoiled like this. Ridiculous.

get started then..

ColdBloodedVet
11-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Not sure why people don't follow the rules and hide that veal behind spoiler buttons. I think I am done with the forums until iI finish the story

wickywoowoo
11-13-2014, 08:24 PM
get started then..

What? Get started in the game? I would if Ubisoft would pull their fingers out and actually dispatch my Guillotine Case Edition despite the UK launch being tomorrow. Until then, I am left using this forum trying to get updates as to what is going on with my order along with other people and having spoilers thrown out by people whose only issue is the game isn't running as smooth as water from a tap.

Forgive me for lacking sympathy for that.

SlyTrooper
11-13-2014, 10:11 PM
get started then..

It's not even out in the UK & Ubi aren't doing great with their pre-orders right now, so that's a bit unfair.

FrankieSatt
11-13-2014, 10:14 PM
I haven't played Unity much yet, but I'm inclined to agree with taking a year off. I think the dev team could come up with a better "Modern Day" Story line, since it seems Unity's is pretty non-existent.

king-hailz
11-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Unity gave us great game play that just needs a little work...

Focus properly on story which includes the modern day.

luckyto
11-13-2014, 10:35 PM
In answer to the original poster, YES.
I've been hoping Ubisoft would take every other year off since Brotherhood. Every game has needed it. Black Flag would have been perfectly polished - maybe even GOTY. Imagine if AC3 had an extra year to iron out letter delivery and other side missions, iron out the mission design and fine-tune the menu system. Or if ACR had more time to work through the Tower Defense and notoriety mechanics. Or if Brotherhood had more time to tell a more flush story with an added city or two. Every single game since the one-year release schedule began has needed more time.... Unity most of all.

For those who say the games aren't developed in a year.
Full development resources can't be given to two games at once, so only full development resources are given to each game for a year. Two years of pre-production, concept art and script drafting does count as development work.

But this game was worked on for four years...
Then work on it for 5. It's not ready. It wasn't ready to be shipped. It has a huge list of bugs and glitches and unfinished gameplay mechanics which need more work to meet the level of quality of a AAA title. It's kind of a pointless argument... because it's really irrelevant how long it was worked on. What is relevant is that it is not finished.

Any other reason to wait?
Try burn-out. While most of us die-hards would love an AC every year, and have enjoyed the spoils (despite the less-than-polished entries); the average consumer is getting burned out. Don't burn the brand. Don't milk the cow until she is dry. The world could use a break from AC for one year, and when it returned, people would be starving for it. Even Marvel almost drove itself into bankruptcy with a supply glut issue in the 90s. Even the best franchises need a breather. Sometimes, less is more.

Not enough time to test, or even build on what works...
Clearly, these games needed more testing. AC3. Black Flag (better than the others.) Unity. Think how strong the game could be if they really closely tested and refined the core mechanics --- instead of being rushed through reinvention each time. They don't have time to see how all the parts will gel, and that's why some of each installment has been great and some has just not worked (Tower Defense.)

We've got to stop giving them a get-out-of-jail-free card.
We all love the game, but we can't keep excusing bad decisions by executive management. They will continue to take advantege of you until it's too late to save the franchise. We've got to collectively say... this is unacceptable.

Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc said that Ubisoft would break Assassin’s Creed’s annualized schedule by delaying a game "if it’s not good enough..If we think we’ve ended up with a 70 percent Assassin’s Creed game, we’re not going to ship it,” Detoc

F3nix013
11-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Not sure why people don't follow the rules and hide that veal behind spoiler buttons. I think I am done with the forums until iI finish the story

i didnt use the "spoiler" thing because i didnt say anything that would have spoiled the game. I made it vague. Some people are just too picky. And if people are not done with the story, why be on the forum when you KNOW there will be threads talking about the game you havent played/finished?

Another eason i didnt use the "spoiler thing was because had i done that, my comment would not have made any sense.

HiddenKiller612
11-13-2014, 11:02 PM
you're also not thinking of the fact that Ubisoft... isn't a single studio...but made up of 26 give or take studios..... So it's not one team developing 2-3 games at once... but multiple teams developing these games.

F3nix013
11-13-2014, 11:02 PM

Then play the ****ing game and stop looking on the forum where most of the threads are talking about it. I dont even know why you are even in this thread.

UncappedWheel82
11-13-2014, 11:03 PM
No. I don't thing they need to. They just need to do more betas and the like. I want my yearly AC game. It's the one gaming constant I've had over the last couple of years.

SlyTrooper
11-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Then play the ****ing game and stop looking on the forum where most of the threads are talking about it. I dont even know why you are even in this thread.

He's on the thread because there is still a ban on spoilers at the moment, so don't blame him. And the game isn't out everywhere yet, so stop assuming he can go play the game.

Sesheenku
11-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Screw 2 years, they should take at least 5 years to fully flesh out their bloody games.

Take your bloody time Ubisoft, stop rushing everything.

Kakuzu745
11-13-2014, 11:41 PM
We've got to stop giving them a get-out-of-jail-free card.
We all love the game, but we can't keep excusing bad decisions by executive management. They will continue to take advantege of you until it's too late to save the franchise. We've got to collectively say... this is unacceptable.

This...we are hardcore fans and everything but we need to stop excusing the company just because this is one of our favorite franchises. I mean the game performs average at best...

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Screw 2 years, they should take at least 5 years to fully flesh out their bloody games.

Take your bloody time Ubisoft, stop rushing everything.

Good to see you back, Sesh. :)

How you enjoy the games?

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Good to see you back, Sesh. :)

How you enjoy the games?

Everything's good usually. 3 was crap in performance for a while till patched.

I didn't buy Unity yet but I saw the reviews and my little bro did buy it on PS4. It's running like trash and glitchy as hell. I walked away when I saw some NPC with a disfigured face.

He's totally ignorant about framerates but even he asked me why it's running so horribly slow.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Everything's good usually. 3 was crap in performance for a while till patched.

I didn't buy Unity yet but I saw the reviews and my little bro did buy it on PS4. It's running like trash and glitchy as hell. I walked away when I saw some NPC with a disfigured face.

He's totally ignorant about framerates but even he asked me why it's running so horribly slow.

Hmm, that's cool. :)

And damn, this framerate issue is no joke.

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 12:21 AM
Hmm, that's cool. :)

And damn, this framerate issue is no joke.

I don't even understand how you fail to keep a game running stably on console. Especially when you're a massive company dumping absurd amounts of money into it.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't even understand how you fail to keep a game running stably on console. Especially when you're a massive company dumping absurd amounts of money into it.

It is a puzzling thought indeed.

F3nix013
11-14-2014, 12:39 AM
He's on the thread because there is still a ban on spoilers at the moment, so don't blame him. And the game isn't out everywhere yet, so stop assuming he can go play the game.

That doesnt matter. People will be talking about the game regardless. I am also a regular on the COD forum and when the game was released i didnt go onto the forum until i completed the game. Besides, i didnt give any spoilers. I knew NOT to because i knew not everyone finished. I purposely made it vague. I COULD have gone into more detail but i didnt. The only reason i didnt use the "spoiler" option was because my comment wouldnt have made sense. Hence the reason for being vague.