PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity Mechanics

RikuSaito
11-13-2014, 12:50 AM
so from the amount i have played so far it looks like they have gone downhill far with the Assassin's Mechanics,
examples:
1. no ledge assassinations, by hanging near the ledge stabbing and throwing the enemy over the edge. (performed XD)
2. under cover you cant even whistle anymore to attract the enemies over to you to perform a cover assassination,.
3. Cherry Bombs are literally useless ive thrown countless of them get the Cherry bomb lure points and the guards don't even move
4. you cant pick up bodies anymore to hide them, or pick up weapons from dead enemies
5. your stuck with 1 weapon now instead of the choose of Sword and Dagger and being able to fight with just your Hidden Blade, you cant even fist fight anymore lol.
6. in AC3 and 4 i remember being able to use enemies as a Bullet Shield and you cant anymore in this one
7. Climbing and Jumping had more to it in previous games this one so far doesn't let you jump if you wont survive from the looks of things

those are just a few things it looks like they have either dumbed down or taken out, it seems like they dropped the ball on this one, the story may be good but the game play has gone way down hill and doesn't live up to previous tittles
i may be wrong but that's what it feels like so far, i would also love to know what others think about this too, did they drop the ball on Mechanics or do you think its fine how it is?

side note my PSN is American thats how im able to play the game >.>

cawatrooper9
11-13-2014, 12:58 AM
1) I definitely did a ledge assassination. I remember it specifically, because it was a in a co-op mission in which we needed to loot a key from a warden. I accidentally ledge assassinated the warden, so my team needed to go all the way bak down to street level to get the key.

2) True, but I'm enjoying the cherry bombs anyway. They have the added advantage of drawing attention away from oneself, too.

3) Well, perhaps you just need more practice with them. Let me know if you want any tips :)

4) True, this one does legitimately frustrate me.

5) I actually like this, since it forces you to focus on your weapon of choice. However, I can see how it may not appeal to some people.

6) Yeah, it was a little overpowered, though. Guns are scary now, as they should be.

7) It definitely lets you jump to your death. Furthermore, I'm extremely impressed with the revamped parkour, though it does take some getting used to.

The previous goes for the whole game, as well. I think it's so radically different to what we're used to that people are initially opposed to it. In the end, though, I think that people will look favorably upon it once they get used to it. Welcome to the forums, by the way! :D

RikuSaito
11-13-2014, 01:31 AM
just performed a ledge assassination myself so i can strike that off the list lol, its the simple things they removed that kinda annoy me lol, hopefully when they fix the FPS issues i can actually start enjoying the game more.

as for the cherry bombs doesn't matter where they land it only startles them and they shrug it off XD dunno if its cause of the FPS and Glitches issues i keep running into or what lol, but so far AC2 series has been my Favorite, the mechanics on those games are what got me into playing the AC games, AC1 was a good concept but didn't deliver in terms of game play.

getting kinda sick of falling through the floor to my death too XD

jakepotts
11-13-2014, 05:30 PM
I think removing the Whistle was a huge mistake. Especially when the campaign missions include challenges wanting you to make kills from hiding places. Everything I try either alerts guards fully (thus not allowing me into the hiding spots), or they go to caution and immediately write it off as nothing without even walking by.

Why would the stealth system mechanics get so much attention only to take away the single largest "weapon" at your disposal, the simple whistle.

ace3001
11-13-2014, 05:39 PM
I thought Unity's mechanics are very good. Having to unlock most of the things ourselves was also a nice touch.

Unfortunately, a lot of it doesn't work as intended, especially when it comes to the new parkour mechanics. When it works right, it's a joy to run around the rooftops.

ColdBloodedVet
11-13-2014, 05:41 PM
I miss the wistle too. And I despise the snipers! If you stay and fight you can get outnumbered but if you run you get your back blown out. Overall I like the new mechanics. And I like having one main weapon instead the whole wheel of options.

Bastiaen
11-13-2014, 06:21 PM
so from the amount i have played so far it looks like they have gone downhill far with the Assassin's Mechanics,
examples:
1. no ledge assassinations, by hanging near the ledge stabbing and throwing the enemy over the edge. (performed XD)
2. under cover you cant even whistle anymore to attract the enemies over to you to perform a cover assassination,.
3. Cherry Bombs are literally useless ive thrown countless of them get the Cherry bomb lure points and the guards don't even move
4. you cant pick up bodies anymore to hide them, or pick up weapons from dead enemies
5. your stuck with 1 weapon now instead of the choose of Sword and Dagger and being able to fight with just your Hidden Blade, you cant even fist fight anymore lol.
6. in AC3 and 4 i remember being able to use enemies as a Bullet Shield and you cant anymore in this one
7. Climbing and Jumping had more to it in previous games this one so far doesn't let you jump if you wont survive from the looks of things

those are just a few things it looks like they have either dumbed down or taken out, it seems like they dropped the ball on this one, the story may be good but the game play has gone way down hill and doesn't live up to previous tittles
i may be wrong but that's what it feels like so far, i would also love to know what others think about this too, did they drop the ball on Mechanics or do you think its fine how it is?

1. Ledge assassinations are possible without any skill points. Try them out in the training missions in the Cafe Theatre.
2. Whistling was overpowered. This was a design choice. You might as well complain that we can't carry 30 Phantom blades, or that we don't have Edward's blowgun anymore. Also, Cherry bombs can attract guards to any position, not just your own.
3. I have seen this once, and only once.
4. Bodies, not a big deal. Weapons, well, if you want to switch weapons, you can do that from the pause menu now, so no real concern.
5. Again, you can switch weapons from the pause menu. Literally, it's like being able to carry every weapon and piece of equipment in the game, so there is no cause for complaint here. Fists and hidden blade fighting is gone, which was, again a design choice, and whether it was good or not is subjective. I guess I'm sorry you were disappointed and didn't know about this before the game released. The information was out there to be found easily enough.
6. Yes, and now you can dodge just as easily. ANOTHER irrelevant point.
7. Just, no. Learn the new parkour. Work it out. It's really great. I especially love being able to "seamlessly" transition between climbing and parkour.

All in all, you have a list of pointless complaints that focus on how this game is different from Black flag. Guess what! Nobody is surprised by that. We knew it would be different.
Whether the game is good or not is simply subjective. I love it, and so do at least several other people. Unfortunately it seems like we are the only ones having any fun.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Bastiaen, are you in a fantasy world?

Cherry bombs never work to attract guards.

Whistling "overpowered"? Yes, it attracted nearby guards - that's what it was supposed to do! It's a game mechanic that allows you to draw in guards that otherwise would never go near a hiding spot. Now 90% of hiding spots are useless.

Dodging replaces body shield? How?

Talk about being in denial!

bAKBAY
11-13-2014, 06:42 PM
One weapon is brillant for this game because of coop. One sniper, brute etc.. Makes sense.

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Picking up weapons from dead enemies was always a little pointless. You could only carry them around and never really "won" those weapons, so the ability was more of a hassle than a benefit. Brotherhood in particular was a bit silly after a big fight. You'd be trying to loot the bodies, accidentally picking up weapons, dropping the weapon, trying to loot another body, picking up a weapon, dropping a weapon. With all the walking in circles and "clang" noises, it resembled the Sideshow Bob scene in The Simpsons, when he's trying to walk out of an area full of rakes.

The weapon restriction is a great thing. It's something that a lot of us were asking for, because we didn't like walking around like a hedgehog, spikes everywhere and jangling weapons. I'm loving this slimmed-down arsenal now, and that the clothes can be more form-fitting and elegant. It all feels better to me, watching Arno climb tall buildings and move at speed, whereas the old scheme was a bit cartoonish.

The hidden blade is now an assassination tool, which again I prefer. I don't think we ever should have been able to fight with it - it's not mounted in such a way that this would make sense.

Dodging replaces body shield? How?

Talk about being in denial!

Dodge saves you from getting shot. Body shield used to make the most dangerous enemies into your best friends, and they would just stupidly shoot the people you grabbed again and again. It would have been fun if it was harder to do, and you only succeeded with it rarely, but we were able to grab everyone around us one by one, and the sniper would obligingly kill them all.

x8bitzombix
11-15-2014, 10:15 PM
I think removing the Whistle was a huge mistake. Especially when the campaign missions include challenges wanting you to make kills from hiding places. Everything I try either alerts guards fully (thus not allowing me into the hiding spots), or they go to caution and immediately write it off as nothing without even walking by.

Why would the stealth system mechanics get so much attention only to take away the single largest "weapon" at your disposal, the simple whistle.

I agree entirely, I can deal with the bugs and the terrible frame rate issues; but trying to get 2 hidden kills as part of Sequence 6 Memory 1's optional objectives has me at the point where I am ready to quit the game. I can understand if people thought that whistling was overpowered since you could spam it to get hiding spot and cover kills over and over again, solution: add a cool down like they did for eagle vision, but don't take out the one mechanic in the game that makes hiding spot assassinations more than blind luck.

As for the cherry bomb, it's great for luring people away from you and distracting them while you sneak by; but luring them to you seems almost impossible, even if I drop one in front of a hiding spot to get a guards attention and the guard actually walks over to see what's going on he stops about 5 feet away from where the bomb went off and get's no where near the hiding spot.

I honestly feel a little cheated that Unity is missing so many features from previous games; sequels should have more functionality and not less...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2014, 11:41 PM
I can understand if people thought that whistling was overpowered since you could spam it to get hiding spot and cover kills over and over again, solution: add a cool down like they did for eagle vision

I agree. Or they could simply ignore the fact that you could spam it. I mean, is it really that big of a deal that they had to remove it?

As for the cherry bomb, it's great for luring people away from you and distracting them while you sneak by; but luring them to you seems almost impossible, even if I drop one in front of a hiding spot to get a guards attention and the guard actually walks over to see what's going on he stops about 5 feet away from where the bomb went off and get's no where near the hiding spot....

And if you throw it farther away, the guard doesn't even see it.

I honestly feel a little cheated that Unity is missing so many features from previous games; sequels should have more functionality and not less...

I can understand them feeling that the series is bloated. But did they have to remove almost EVERYTHING? They removed so many things that were fun and not at all annoying, one example is the minigames - Unity could have done with chess (Paris was a big chess hub in the late 1700s). Heck, players don't have to play it if they don't want to. And that's just one example - there are many more.

nepoznatiqt
11-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Wow I just realased you CAN NOT REPLAY side missions aka paris stories. What the hell is this? They are basically the best part of the game for me, all the murders and other funny radom stuff. Ubisoft shoud release a patch to fix this, because it is unbelievable. I saw the game in a friend of mine, and now I'm not sure whether I shoud buy it. Maybe after a year or two when it is cheap but not now, unless they release such a patch.

Ygdrasel
11-27-2014, 01:16 AM
I actually like this, since it forces you to focus on your weapon of choice.

You like being forced into restrictive nonsense? :confused:

guest-0VWo3kY1
11-27-2014, 06:03 PM
You like being forced into restrictive nonsense? :confused:
First once, I think this was a necessary restriction since picking up weapons was always a hassle when I tried moving bodies. Yet, they mucked it up by not letting move bodies.

Xstantin
11-27-2014, 06:14 PM
I agree entirely, I can deal with the bugs and the terrible frame rate issues; but trying to get 2 hidden kills as part of Sequence 6 Memory 1's optional objectives has me at the point where I am ready to quit the game. I can understand if people thought that whistling was overpowered since you could spam it to get hiding spot and cover kills over and over again, solution: add a cool down like they did for eagle vision, but don't take out the one mechanic in the game that makes hiding spot assassinations more than blind luck.

The haystack at the courtyard where you start, two hiding place on the stairs during the tailing objective if it helps you. Also it's possible to lure officers and extremists to fight at the same courtyard and get lucky with hiding spot kill opposite side from the same haystack, just kill two gunners on the roof earlier.

Ringotaker
11-27-2014, 06:51 PM

As for the cherry bomb, it's great for luring people away from you and distracting them while you sneak by; but luring them to you seems almost impossible, even if I drop one in front of a hiding spot to get a guards attention and the guard actually walks over to see what's going on he stops about 5 feet away from where the bomb went off and get's no where near the hiding spot.

Actually the whistle feature was pretty OP and spammable... maybe the CD idea you gave would have been great!
But still... to not have it actually make me think better about the approach I'll be having during the mission and to kinda "study" the outcomes of it... like trial and error actually...and it's kinda fun (at least in my view).
The disguise ability helps you positioning to do the hidden kills and the cherry bombs help you getting guards out of dooways so that they won't spot you... and if everything goes wrong smoke bombs are your best friends

It's a new engine and a lot of features are missing from previous games...

I really miss being able to pet dogs :( (And to be able to move dead bodies... but mostly petting dogs)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Actually the whistle feature was pretty OP and spammable...

So? It's spammable in real life too, and it's much more realistic and useful than the stupid firecrackers.

I can just see a real assassin buying a bunch of firecrackers and thinking "If only there were some simpler and less expensive way to attract guards". :rolleyes:

I mean, are you honestly going to tell me that when an assassin runs out of firecrackers it makes perfect sense that he's completely incapable of attracting a guard? It's fricken ridiculous.

wvstolzing
11-27-2014, 08:47 PM
The whistle feature could have been *expanded* to include all manner of attention catching (or distracting) noises; bricks and bottles as in The Last of Us, or even things like toppling cupboards on an upper floor to lure guards from a lower floor.

Calgoth
11-27-2014, 09:34 PM
examples:

The mechanic for luring guard's is simple and easy they even showed you how to do this when you played Arno as a child.
Let the guard see you when the icon change's from yellow to the red exclamation point that start's to fill up meaning something has caught the guard's attention if you then move out of LoS of the guard that trigger's your last know location image the guard come's to investigate and Bam easy peasy cover assassination.
As to Guard's with gun's you can roll dodge them as well as putting enemies in the LoS of said guard and yes they will hit them when they shoot.
Also you can jump even if the jump would kill you just hold R2 and double tap X (this is PS4 btw)

lukazdragon
11-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Can anyone explain me how Unity's detection system works? It's basically the same from the previous games? It's hard to say by watching video, and I can't play it, yet.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Let the guard see you when the icon change's from yellow to the red...

Sometimes they just go to full red. How do you play stealth against that? You can't. Against that you need a lure, and there isn't one, because apparently Arno never learned to whistle.

bitebug2003
11-27-2014, 10:48 PM
The mechanic for luring guard's is simple and easy they even showed you how to do this when you played Arno as a child.
Let the guard see you when the icon change's from yellow to the red exclamation point that start's to fill up meaning something has caught the guard's attention if you then move out of LoS of the guard that trigger's your last know location image the guard come's to investigate and Bam easy peasy cover assassination.
As to Guard's with gun's you can roll dodge them as well as putting enemies in the LoS of said guard and yes they will hit them when they shoot.
Also you can jump even if the jump would kill you just hold R2 and double tap X (this is PS4 btw)

That doesn't work when going into a hiding spot Arno just jumps back out again

I tried that in

Mission spoilers below

Confession -- 2 kills from hiding spots (confession booth) It glitched on me too. Despite getting them both it didn't register them :( All that planning to waste

Calgoth
11-28-2014, 12:16 AM
That doesn't work when going into a hiding spot Arno just jumps back out again

I tried that in

Mission spoilers below

Confession -- 2 kills from hiding spots (confession booth) It glitched on me too. Despite getting them both it didn't register them :( All that planning to waste

That was for cover assassination's never tried it with hidden one's

bitebug2003
11-28-2014, 12:46 AM
That was for cover assassination's never tried it with hidden one's

Oh ok my bad