PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Blade Primary Weapon

Silence1684
11-12-2014, 04:29 PM
So been playing through Unity on Xbox One and have noticed something that makes me uncomfortable. Is it possible to use the hidden blade as a primary weapon during a fight? You've been able to do it in EVERY OTHER Assassin's Creed. But I can't seem to figure it out, and I'm really tired of pulling my sword when I could just stick them with the hidden blade. So is this something you open later on? Or was this an oversight?

AssassinHMS
11-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Using the hidden blade during a fight? Why? Do you expect to stand a chance against armed men with a small fragile blade attached to your wrist?
I’m pretty sure the hidden blade’s purpose is to kill someone quickly and quietly while keeping a low profile.

Silence1684
11-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Seems like you haven't played Assassins Creed before or your memory has slipped. You've always been able to use the hidden blade during open conflict. I was wondering why you can't anymore. It's not like the weapons and enemies have changed much.

AssassinHMS
11-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Seems like you haven't played Assassins Creed before or your memory has slipped. You've always been able to use the hidden blade during open conflict. I was wondering why you can't anymore. It's not like the weapons and enemies have changed much.

I already gave the answer: It doesn't make sense to use the hidden blade in combat.

It's a choice Unity's developers made and a wise one, imo.
Before Unity (AC3 and AC4 particularly), the hidden blade could be used in combat just like a sword or a knife, the only “real” difference were the animations. In turn, you could also assassinate with any weapon (tomahawks, swords, etc.) and not just with the hidden blade. This destroyed the hidden blade's uniqueness. Suddenly, the subtle and iconic blade became JUST another weapon in that humongous arsenal. It wasn't that special gadget anymore.
Unity gives the hidden blade a reason to exist again by making it more realistic and by turning into a more specialized and unique weapon.
Sure, you can’t use it during combat anymore but it’s for a good reason.

rob.davies2014
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm glad they've taken the HB out of combat. It was unrealistic and as AssassinHMS says, this makes it more unique and special. Like it was back in AC1.

Silence1684
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
You could use it in open combat in AC1. You could drop an entire group of men in just a few counters. It was a weapon that showed the true skill, agility, and deadliness of the assassins. If it's just an assassination tool now that's upsetting and lame. But I'll learn to adapt.

Andy_M86
11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
You also can’t pick up bodies, fight unarmed, disarm enemies or even pick up their weapons.