PDA

View Full Version : I'm convinced all of these Unity reviews were made by incompetent monkeys.

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Okay, so after locking Rogue within a metal case and giving the key to my older brother, I was able to finally sit down and play about 5-6 more hours of Unity (joking, of course). :o

All I can say is, wow. ...What a game. Like, what a DAMN GOOD SEQUEL. I know I've said it in a few others threads, but those were only my first impressions. This time I truly mean it.

What the hell happened with the reviews? Why are they so poor? Were they extremely fatigued on the franchise? Do these people even know what Assassin's Creed is? I know what's a good Assassin's Creed and that's mother-flipping Unity. It's probably the best Assassin's Creed yet, I'm serious. Everything have been improved (except, maybe not the story in comparison to the last few games). The story and characters are good, the gameplay is fantastic, and the graphics are great. Stealth, navigation, and combat are the best they've ever been!

The only real complaint I have are the glitches and performance. But put those aside and Unity is the sequel we've all been waiting for. I mean, how the hell does an Assassin's Creed game like Unity get such poor reception? Especially from Kotaku. It's ridiculous!

And this isn't coming from personal bias, I wasn't looking forward to Unity. You all know my eyes were dead set on Rogue. :p

For me, Unity takes the top spot of the franchise. This game is the definitive Assassin's Creed experience. Good job, Alex Amancio. I always knew you could deliver the best Assassin's Creed. Now all Ubisoft has to do is pair you up with Darby McDevitt. The reviewers can suck it.

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Your sir, gave me hope. Most reviewers seem to give the game low scores because of it's performance. So if the game itself is still realy good I can look past those problems. Also gameplay can't be patched, performance issues can be patched and I hope Ubi will do this. ( take rome 2 tw as an example )

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Something definitely feels off about it. It's just new. The climbing is absolutely great. People say the story is boring but it's about the characters and so far so good for me. I have no complaints besides no ambient music, no hidden blade combat and the frame rate. Beyond that I love it. Oh, no corner transitions is a bit of a pain.

Jackdaw951
11-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Yeah, performance issues and bugs do hurt. (A quick reminder that this is the console MB.) The scene inside the big church (early on) to solve a timed puzzle, jumping around walls and chandeliers, became an absolute hitchy mess. The action froze repeatedly just long enough to make the sequence almost unplayable. It felt like Windows does when it runs out of real RAM, and has to swap stuff out to virtual memory. The system froze once when I tried to go into the Uplay app. It's the first time I've had to hold the power button on the Xbox One to turn the system completely off. Frame rates are playable, but do dip into the low 20s frequently. The LOD pop-in on the crowds looks horrible. The sticky navigation on the map is too sticky, leading to some frustration trying to move between 2 icons that are close together. And so on. The game is still in beta-test condition, and needs to be brought up to snuff.

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 03:51 PM
How is the adoptive mission design? I haven't seen anyone talk about it, does it actually exist?

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 03:58 PM
How is the adoptive mission design? I haven't seen anyone talk about it, does it actually exist?

Yes, it does. And it's as great and seamless as the gamescom demo.

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Glad to hear that. Can't wait till I can play it.

Journey93
11-12-2014, 04:02 PM
yeah right and you are competent huh? classic blind fanboy right here
I like the Assassins Creed Series but sadly its gotten stale they really need to stop with the annual releases
In addition to the poor reviews I hope it doesn't sell good

And I have been playing AC since the very beginning

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 04:04 PM
yeah right and you are competent huh? classic blind fanboy right here
I like the Assassins Creed Series but sadly its gotten stale they really need to stop with the annual releases
In addition to the poor reviews I hope it doesn't sell good

And I have been playing AC since the very beginning
AC got stale? How? this is the first sequel to AC wich came out in 2007.

Journey93
11-12-2014, 04:09 PM
AC got stale? How? this is the first sequel to AC wich came out in 2007.

you keep telling yourself that I'm just glad that people are finally getting sick of AC
Ubisoft is one of the most greedy companies out there good to see that its finally biting them in the ***

Bigodon
11-12-2014, 04:14 PM
and i have 100% sure this game was developed by braindead monkeys

oliacr
11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Your sir, gave me hope. Most reviewers seem to give the game low scores because of it's performance. So if the game itself is still realy good I can look past those problems. Also gameplay can't be patched, performance issues can be patched and I hope Ubi will do this. ( take rome 2 tw as an example )

Did ya play with that? Glad to hear :D

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Did ya play with that? Glad to hear :D
Well I didn't bougth the game yet actually. I have the gold edition of every TW game, but haven't been able to play that much of shogun 2 because of school so I don't feel like buying rome 2 yet. And my PC isn't powerful engough :p

DavisP92
11-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Does it, I haven't seen one thing yet and i'm halfway through the game? I only remember one tail mission and in that if you were spotted it restarted you

Namikaze_17
11-12-2014, 05:30 PM
You give me hope, friend....

Hopefully you're right...

killie_lad
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I didn't know the developers were aloud to review their own games. I've tried and I've tried to play this but the awful frame rate and bugs are just inexcusable. I got to the part last night where there are no AI and it felt great, the sad part was I knew in 5 minutes I'd be back to playing a stop motion game again. My main gripes aren't really anything to do with story or the change to combat, I love that it's trying to encourage stealth but it's ****ing hard when the game is so damn unresponsive and jerky. Real sad.I have loved every AC game, yes even Ac3 but this is a joke. Where were the playtesters?

The co-op could be a blast, the missions are brilliantly set out and even have interesting-ish stories but when there are enemies appearing from thin air whilst dealing with the other problems mentioned above it just becomes a joke.

It's not the ideas that are holding the game back, it's the execution (pardon the pun)

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Does it, I haven't seen one thing yet and i'm halfway through the game? I only remember one tail mission and in that if you were spotted it restarted you

I've progressed as far as Sivert's assassination mission (gamescom demo). That one was blackbox.

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 05:55 PM
but it's ****ing hard when the game is so damn unresponsive and jerky. Real sad.I have loved every AC game, yes even Ac3 but this is a joke. Where were the playtesters?

I think that's due to the poor frame rates on consoles. Unity, for me at least, have been a fairly smooth run. A lot better than Black Flag.

The co-op could be a blast, the missions are brilliantly set out and even have interesting-ish stories but when there are enemies appearing from thin air whilst dealing with the other problems mentioned above it just becomes a joke.

Strange, I've been spamming CO-OP since last night and I've yet to run into a single enemy pop-in like AC:IV's. Could be just the consoles, as I'm on the PC.

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I just saw the coop gameplay in the pantheon from openworldgames, and it looks AMAZING.

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
^ Yep!

CO-OP is surprisingly seamless too. It's also easy to drop in and out of a match.

MongoosE97
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Okay, so after locking Rogue within a metal case and giving the key to my older brother, I was able to finally sit down and play about 5-6 more hours of Unity (joking, of course). :o

All I can say is, wow. ...What a game. Like, what a DAMN GOOD SEQUEL. I know I've said it in a few others threads, but those were only my first impressions. This time I truly mean it.

What the hell happened with the reviews? Why are they so poor? Were they extremely fatigued on the franchise? Do these people even know what Assassin's Creed is? I know what's a good Assassin's Creed and that's mother-flipping Unity. It's probably the best Assassin's Creed yet, I'm serious. Everything have been improved (except, maybe not the story in comparison to the last few games). The story and characters are good, the gameplay is fantastic, and the graphics are great. Stealth, navigation, and combat are the best they've ever been!

The only real complaint I have are the glitches and performance. But put those aside and Unity is the sequel we've all been waiting for. I mean, how the hell does an Assassin's Creed game like Unity get such poor reception? Especially from Kotaku. It's ridiculous!

And this isn't coming from personal bias, I wasn't looking forward to Unity. You all know my eyes were dead set on Rogue. :p

For me, Unity takes the top spot of the franchise. This game is the definitive Assassin's Creed experience. Good job, Alex Amancio. I always knew you could deliver the best Assassin's Creed. Now all Ubisoft has to do is pair you up with Darby McDevitt. The reviewers can suck it.

Thank you so much for writing this :D

I've been so excited for Unity and all of the reviews that have coming in were making me a bit worried (however much I hate to base my view of a game on reviews). Good to set the hype straight again before I start playing :D

killie_lad
11-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I think that's due to the poor frame rates on consoles. Unity, for me at least, have been a fairly smooth run. A lot better than Black Flag.

Strange, I've been spamming CO-OP since last night and I've yet to run into a single enemy pop-in like AC:IV's. Could be just the consoles, as I'm on the PC.yeah the frame rate is causing a lot of the issues. I could even deal with the glitches to an extent, although they are frequent they only affect you for a second at a time but moving from games at 60fps to 25 on a good day is actually hurting my eyes, I can deal with solid 30 but not this.

As for the co-op it might just be matchmaking issues, I've played the first one a few times no problem but then on the second one I would assassinate a guy by himself and as I went to escape some other guy appeared from nowhere and started attacking me. Having said that it did migrate host at the end so it may have just been connection issues.

SlyTrooper
11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I trust you, Fatal, so this is good news. Did you enjoy AC3, out of curiosity? I did, so I imagine this will be the same for Unity.

Dannagar
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm very thankful for the reviews. I was really considering the game and decided to wait. I can't stand playing games with a sub-30fps choppy frame rate. Digital Foundry Show the game running closer to 20fps in many areas. To me, that's a deal breaker.

jayjay275
11-12-2014, 06:54 PM
AC3 didn't bother me on PS3, so I don't care.

m4r-k7
11-12-2014, 07:02 PM
The weird thing is that AC Unity has the lowest score of any AC game yet. I just don't understand it.
Arno is an awesome character, they have improved on pretty much everything and have delivered a great AC game.
The only negatives are the bugs and glitches, which hopefully can be fixed in future patches.

Namikaze_17
11-12-2014, 07:03 PM
@Dannagar

I know this is irrelevant and you're probably a dude, but your Avatar is so hot. :)

Jackdaw951
11-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Strange, I've been spamming CO-OP since last night and I've yet to run into a single enemy pop-in like AC:IV's. Could be just the consoles, as I'm on the PC.

And I'll remind you once again that this is the console message board. Its purpose is to discuss the console versions of AC games. I believe you have a corresponding PC forum, no?

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 07:06 PM
The weird thing is that AC Unity has the lowest score of any AC game yet. I just don't understand it.
Arno is an awesome character, they have improved on pretty much everything and have delivered a great AC game.
The only negatives are the bugs and glitches, which hopefully can be fixed in future patches.
I agree, I haven't played the game myself but the gameplay looks like what we fans have been asking for for years. Reviewers seem to give the game low scores because of it's performance, but if you look at other games that have a 75 metacritic score I feel like Unity doesn't belong between those games.

m4r-k7
11-12-2014, 07:08 PM
I agree, I haven't played the game myself but the gameplay looks like what we fans have been asking for for years. Reviewers seem to give the game low scores because of it's performance, but if you look at other games that have a 75 metacritic score I feel like Unity doesn't belong between those games.

AC 1 originally had a score of 70 something and I loved that game. Just don't let reviews get in the way of you enjoying the game :)
Hardcore AC fans will appreciate the game.
Casuals won't

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 07:10 PM
AC 1 originally had a score of 70 something and I loved that game. Just don't let reviews get in the way of you enjoying the game :)
Casuals won't
Indeed, but ac1 got low scores because of how repetitive it was. ACU seems like the true non repititive sequel of ac1. Despite all the "bad" reviews I still really look foreward to Unity. If Unity will be patched descently it will probably my favourite ac game.

SlyTrooper
11-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Casuals won't

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/541/870/cd3.jpg

UrDeviant1
11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
"Reviewers are wrong. Game is good"

Gotcha. This in-depth analysis you've given has really swayed my opinion.

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I trust you, Fatal, so this is good news. Did you enjoy AC3, out of curiosity? I did, so I imagine this will be the same for Unity.

Yes, however, AC:3 is the wrong comparison for Unity. AC:3 was poorly received for different reasons, empty promises and linear missions being some of them. Unity's disappointments are its glitches and performance, not particularly the game, itself. It delivered on every single one of its promises.

IIRC, you're not as affected by frame rates so you should have a blast with the game. :)

I'm very thankful for the reviews. I was really considering the game and decided to wait. I can't stand playing games with a sub-30fps choppy frame rate. Digital Foundry Show the game running closer to 20fps in many areas. To me, that's a deal breaker.

I wouldn't blame you for your decision, but how can you be thankful for the reviews that are suppose to review the game, itself, not its performance on hardware? It's unfair, if you ask me. :p

Casuals won't

Spot on.

And I'll remind you once again that this is the console message board. Its purpose is to discuss the console versions of AC games. I believe you have a corresponding PC forum, no?

So? I see no problem with that post. :p

D.I.D.
11-12-2014, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't blame you for your decision, but how can you be thankful for the reviews that are suppose to review the game, itself, not its performance on hardware? It's unfair, if you ask me. :p

I'm surprised how much the reviews have done exactly what you want. They mention the bugs, but in passing. The reviews are focused pretty genuinely on the game itself, on a structural level.

I think it's really unfair to call these people incompetent. We're seeing a much better standard of writing in games journalism nowadays, and these reviews (Kotaku's especially) have been very thoughtfully put together with an aim to explaining the game to their readership - not to committed AC fans. We will put up with a lot more problems than the general customer, and we're not necessarily the best judges of these games for that reason.

Dannagar
11-12-2014, 07:38 PM
@Dannagar

I know this is irrelevant and you're probably a dude, but your Avatar is so hot. :)

My Avatar is Nei from the Phantasy Star Series. I have her host my youtube show.

TheHumanTowel
11-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Why shouldn't a review mention if a game has extreme performance issues? If Unity had the most revolutionary mechanics in the world but ran at 10 fps I'd kind of hope the reviews would mention it.

Dannagar
11-12-2014, 07:45 PM

A review is just that, a review. A review isn't limited to gameplay. A good review is well rounded and will talk about every aspect of ones experience with the game. A month back, The Evil Within received glowing reviews but a lot of reviewers fail to mention that the game had performance issues. As a result, I stopped playing after Chapter 3 because the frame rate was so bad. It was a waste of $60 for me as the broken frame rate directly effected my personal experience with the game.

A bad frame rate doesn't bother everyone but it does bother a lot of people. And it's great to be informed.

If someone were to review a car and they only talked about the experience of the drive but failed to mention that the car only got 10 miles to the gallon, wouldn't you be upset?

SlyTrooper
11-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Well, not exactly every reviewer is bashing this game. In fact its received more positive response than negative. The only reviewers that don't like this game as much are the nitwits like joystiq and polygon (who really takes them seriously anyways?) Only because the combat was too hard for them and they love call of duty. What a joke

Yeah, I read a review that said the game was too hard, so they didn't enjoy it. I think the implication was that they wanted the old combat back.

Zafar1981
11-12-2014, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwuza-VU_0c

The video above is being played by the assessor of IGN. Man look how horrible his game play is. If jerks like this guy who don't know how to play assassin's creed game are selected to review the games then what's the value of his opinion is. Go to 34:00 minuets and watch how bad he is playing the game. I am playing this game and its the best AC game after AC2.
I never believe in review points because most of them are biased and they have no seance of the game. From now on I won't buy a game based on good or bad reviews from these stupid jerks.

killie_lad
11-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Man that guy is terrible at playing. Reviewers shouldn't be allowed to review this game if they suck at and ***** about it. I love unity and the coop alotWhat? He gave the game a 'great' rating. I think he's been more than fair to give it that with the way it is now

king-hailz
11-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Your right like I have said this game is actually good and the reviewers were way too harsh on it! They complained about things like the climbing is off and the stealth button doesn't work that well! There was no stealth button before... everyone was so negative! Game play wise it is the best BY FAR!

However story wise it's not the best... but it's not that bad although I have only played upto sequence 8... its brilliantly acted, the dialogue is written well... but it's not that deep of a story... its kind if a simple story... its all just one big mystery basically... like revelations wasn't that big of a story and neither was AC1 however in comparison those were still better story wise I think...

Overall 8.5/10 it's as good as brotherhood better than 3 but not as good as the rest...

naumaan
11-12-2014, 09:23 PM
this is called a jumbo . a very positive attitude towards the game ..

wvstolzing
11-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Too bad Rev3Games got shut down right around this time; they were among the very few venues whose reviews I trust.

SlyTrooper
11-12-2014, 10:22 PM
They were shut down? Why?

ShoryukenMan
11-12-2014, 10:59 PM
I can't touch a game that has a frame rate like this. Hopefully a patch will get this fixed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAU7S4sVK9I

Sentite
11-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I can't touch a game that has a frame rate like this. Hopefully a patch will get this fixed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAU7S4sVK9I

Thats the the only part in the game and specific to that mission and stained glass area. Also it ONLY does that if you don't go to the marker inside the church.

Jailwhale
11-12-2014, 11:29 PM
unity compared to assassins creed black flag is a Whole new game.
rogue might be stale
unity isen't stale in the slightest

SlyTrooper
11-12-2014, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhiRdodEJOM

To lighten the mood. I love Rogue's theme. It's a great use of Ezio's Family.

cawatrooper9
11-13-2014, 12:31 AM
I agree. Sure, there are some minor issues with Unity, but it's SUCH a cool game. I feel bad for everyone getting stuck on some silly details, they're really missing out.

zephyz123
11-13-2014, 12:34 AM

That's the thing, you can't put those aside, it's pretty important. You can say all you want about how they'll patch it, they should have fixed these issues before they released the game. It's an unoptimized mess and as assassin's creed fan, you're going to a biased view on the game.

wvstolzing
11-13-2014, 12:39 AM
They were shut down? Why?

No idea; they didn't say why, neither on their 'goodbye videos', nor on twitter. Here's one:

http://youtu.be/pP9gUA-W0SA

wvstolzing
11-13-2014, 01:23 AM
TotalBiscuit's new video has some insights into why the reviews might have turned out so bad:

http://youtu.be/gavcvi19q1g

EmbodyingSeven5
11-13-2014, 01:28 AM
well these reviews came from the same people who gave the new cod 9/10s and 8/10s soooooooooooooooooo........................:rolley es:

EmbodyingSeven5
11-13-2014, 01:30 AM
That's the thing, you can't put those aside, it's pretty important. You can say all you want about how they'll patch it, they should have fixed these issues before they released the game. It's an unoptimized mess and as assassin's creed fan, you're going to a biased view on the game.

this. uniy devs should have delayed the game further. it seems AC games with new goals and new features and combat carry all of these glitches

MaceoniK
11-13-2014, 01:41 AM
I've not read any of the reviews, as I'm still waiting to play the game and don't want to risk any spoilers. So this is the first I'm hearing of any bad press, but I have to say, I'm not surprised. Most people these days are so used to generic first person shooters and hack and slash type games, they simply don't have the patience to fully learn any new control scheme, game mechanics or enemy A.I behaviour. So when they play and inevitably suck at it, they blame the game rather than themselves.

The reviewers probably didn't even take the time to level up there Arno's, which I'm presuming will make the game a bit easier for those complaining that it's too hard.

As for major glitches, that stuff can be fixed.

Moose.Qc
11-13-2014, 01:45 AM

IMO this review is spot on http://www.craveonline.ca/gaming/articles/787467-assassins-creed-unity-frame-rate-way-important-resolution

SolidSage
11-13-2014, 01:59 AM
You know, to each their own. I agree Unity has some stability issues but considering the scope, scale, and advancements it makes to the franchise, I can easily overlook those. They aren't that terrible anyway.

Unity is easily the best game in the series. Absolutely fantastic. I've played since AC1's release. It delivers on so many hopes. Brilliant.

And that being said, to each their own and all that, I'm not going to put any stock in any reviewer that scores it less than a 9.0. Sorry but YOUR franchise fatigue has absolutely no bearing on a game's inherent qualities. In fact, citing franchise fatigue as a detractor to a professional review is exactly the opposite of professional my old china. Thanks but no thanks.

I give it a 9.5/10 due to bugs and glitches but as a game, it's 10 through and through. Best yet peeps. Coop shoots it through the roof!

Goodfella112
11-13-2014, 02:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3tk5zZN.jpg

Moose.Qc
11-13-2014, 02:10 AM
I myself own all AC games, for me Brotherhood was the best. However with Unity... Blackflag even had better graphics on my PS4, Unity, lots of jagged edges, choppy, not as wonderful...

EmbodyingSeven5
11-13-2014, 02:19 AM
They're putting out a patch. This game beats black flag in every way

really? hows the naval in this one?:p

SolidSage
11-13-2014, 02:34 AM
How's the naval? Not as boring as the ones that actually have it! Ha ha, I kid.
Unity GAMEPLAY trumps all other AC's. Finally delivers on combat and stealthy improvements. Beautiful parkour, massive customization.

Honestly, I was a little burnt out before, but Unity, even with annual releases and all that jazz, totally reignited my excitement. It's THE AC to own. Unless you want competetive MP of course...I'll grant you that. Although...the coop can get pretty competetive :)

Anyone worried about coop free roam, don't be :)

LoyalACFan
11-13-2014, 02:43 AM
I totally agree with you, OP. I was reading these forums and some reviews yesterday after having played for about five hours, and I was getting a little worried, thinking the game was about to get really bad on me. Now I've played for a more respectable 10 hours, and I can honestly say I love it. It's fantastic. I'm not comfortable calling it the best AC yet, because I still feel like I've only just got my feet wet, but yeah, it's easily a contender. Yes, there are some bugs, but honestly, FAR fewer than in AC3. At AC3's launch, within the first day of play I saw floating muskets, steep framerate dives (I'm talking like high teens), an ungodly amount of clipping, and weapons that would just up and disappear from my holsters. Unity's got a few framerate stutters here and there, but I've only seen it happen twice in ten hours, and both times it was only for a few seconds.

I'm honestly kind of angry. I feel that most professional reviewers were biased against this game because of the negative press it received before it even launched (female co-op debacle, microtransactions). Because I honestly cannot reconcile the negative reviews with the level of quality I'm seeing. Unity is excellent, it's what an Assassin's Creed game should be. I only hope the negative feedback doesn't cause Ubi to lean back toward the AC4/Rogue style of games, because for the first time in several years this series is giving me exactly what I want. To hell with the melodramatic whiners who said the framerate makes the game "unplayable."

The only major criticism I have is about the app/Initiates connectivity. It's immersion-breaking, exclusionary, and right now, it's broken. Not a good addition to the series, it's the same train wreck that social events were a year ago.

Sentite
11-13-2014, 03:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3tk5zZN.jpg

Lol buggy pc version(it's a ubisoft game why are you buying pc anyways) = all versions buggy. I been through the prologue many times and I never seen this.

breakdownthewall
11-13-2014, 03:41 AM
Played it for a second time and I'm loving it now. Other than the storyline and the glitches (which doesn't bother me much), everything else is fantastic.
I get an AC1/AC2 vibe playing it. Health doesn't regenerate and combat is honestly leaps and bounds ahead of what we had ever had. You can't just leave a pile of 10 bodies behind you anymore, you're much more of an assassin now. Even if you start running in the middle of a conflict, I find it is harder to successfully escape guards than it was before. They won't take long to try and shoot you while you're running. I completely abandoned a random side mission because It required killing a number of guards in an open conflict, and I couldn't do it! It's actually challenging sometimes.
Combat is much more fluid and realistic, and I love how the best approach to almost any situation is stealth.

I also just discovered those side missions where you get to solve murder mysteries, they're amazing!

Cactiii
11-13-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm in sequence 7, and the game has been absolutely phenomenal so far. As a reviewer, it's easy to focus on the superficial issues instead of the game as a whole, and I feel like that's the problem here. It's much easier to describe how the framerates drop (which I only experienced in the first few hours of the game, and for whatever reason haven't noticed since) and the crashes (which I have experienced once, and while aggravating, is not a game-ruining problem). The sad fact of the matter is that for the past year or so, this has been the status quo of all AAA video games- Battlefield 4 was infamous for this, but if you've played it recently nearly all of the issues have been kinked out and BF4 is not just playable but also very fun. Unity will be the same way in a few weeks, with the only difference being that it is very fun already.

Unity is, by miles, the best Assassin's Creed game I've played. The free-running is much more intuitive once you learn it (which did not take long) and the combat is nearly perfected- difficult enough to encourage stealth, but still fun, responsive and doable. The combat is intense and cinematic- the camera will focus on Arno's executions of wounded enemies and then pan back out to the fight, seamlessly and without interrupting the gameplay. The stealth, though, is where the game truly shines- the crouch button, combined with the best world-building to date in an Assassin's Creed game, acts to create a challenging, albeit very possible and open-ended stealth gameplay. The open buildings of Paris add more dimensions to the game- it no longer has that rooftop/ground level distinction felt in previous games, instead combining numerous levels of a building and its exteriors seamlessly. The AI feels very improved- it's not a cheating super genius, but it's not a lobotomized puppy. The AI will hunt you down, but all the ways to hide (hay bales, crowds, entering a building or crouching behind a wall or more) make you always feel powerful, but not godly.

Helping with the stealth, though, is excellent, phenomenal mission design. There are virtually no tedious tail miissions or fetch quests in the main story line, and the entire game is open-ended. There will be a mission or two building up story and information in each sequence, followed by an assassination with huge amounts of guards and opportunities. The assassination demo video in Notre Dame was not some fluke- every mission is at least as open-ended as that, if not more, with varied environments and opportunities. One assassination took place in a labyrinthine sewer- one assassination took place in an open-air cemetery. None of them have felt the same.

The cinematics as a whole are great- the character's faces display emotion far beyond what the (excellent, albeit very not French-sounding) voice actors say. I cared about the characters and their motivations, and the story hasn't felt riddled with cliches so far, and has genuinely surprised me at points. My one complaint about the story is that the events of the revolution and Arno feel a bit separated- I don't want to Forrest Gump it like in AC3, but I feel like I could be more involved in the events of the revolution.

Overall, this would have to be the best Assassin's Creed game yet- by some distance. Paris is the best environment for an assassin with all of its nooks, crannies and details. I feel like I could get lost looking at the details of the people and the buildings. The stealth is challenging and has more than enough tools to get the job done. The combat is challenging and still fun. The story is engaging and filled with memorable characters, and it intertwines with the mission design flawlessly and seamlessly. As a long-term fan, I feel rewarded that so many of the things I've wanted in the game for years are finally coming true- the mission design, the open-world nature, everything Really, there's only a few things that I can honestly complain about, as a long term fan.

Things I feel should be addressed:
The frame-rate issue. It seemed to only affect me for the first few hours, but after that I haven't had a problem with it, for whatever reason. Still, it could afford to be tweaked a bit.
Crashing. I've had the game crash once, and while the autosave in the game really helps to avoid it being too awful, it certainly is aggravating.
Double Assassinations. This is, out of all the things, what bothers me the most. It's extremely finicky- if you don't come at two guards from the right angle or if they're just a tad too far apart, you'll only stab one and the other will detect you and murder you. It can really kill the flow of a stealth mission.
Back-eject. Maybe I'm just dumb, but when you're hanging from a wall trying to get to whatever is behind you, it seems to almost never work. Maybe it's because I'm trying to do it how it was done in previous games, but this frustrates me.

zkorejo
11-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Yea I dont get it either. I havent read any of them, just saw the scores on metacritic. The only reason I can come up with for the review scores is the technical issues with the game. I am assuming most of the reviewers played the game before there was a day one patch.

The game is amazing. Best game of the year for me so far. It definitely has issues with pop-in and framerates and I really hope Ubi is working on another patch to reduce those issues as much as possible.

SlyTrooper
11-13-2014, 08:01 PM
I vote that all the critics re-review the game once it's been patched a few times. I bet they don't complain as much.

Kakuzu745
11-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Well I cant stand the horrible performance issues that keep ruining my playing experience so to be honest I understand where the reviewers are coming from. A couple of more months to polish the game and this would have been by far my best AC to date.

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Completely agree with you. I want Amancio and Corey paired actually. After playing AC1 again, I want to see Corey tap into the more philosophical side of AC. It's just so interesting to listen to the character interactions in that game, best dialogue NA. And with Amancio's game design... and an Egypt setting... yeeesss.