PDA

View Full Version : History repeats itself, over and over.

Scottoest
11-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I'll start by saying Ubisoft have made some of my favourite games over the years: Splinter Cell, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Rayman, etc.

However, I think it's long past time that we got a real statement, if not an outright mea culpa from someone in power at Ubisoft, about the abysmal quality of nearly all of their PC ports. It should not be common practice to have to wait at least two months for a video game to be optimized for a platform they are already happily charging you full price to play it on. And this is despite some laughably high recommended specs for their games in the first place. In some cases, it can take weeks to even get the games to consistently playable states for a lot of customers (i.e. Watch_Dogs - another infamous victim of horrific optimization).

I don't blame the developers, because I have no douibt they are working long hours and putting out the best game they can, within the constraints placed on them. However, this is a pretty firmly established pattern/problem with Ubisoft games, and it's time for someone to step up to the microphone and vow to do better. My $69.99 is worth just as much as a console player's money. Particularly when you're not forced to give a cut to Microsoft, Sony, or Valve.

Which reminds me: Fix Uplay, or shutter it. I completely understand the desire to not give Valve a cut of your sales profits right off the top, but there's a reason Steam is so ubiquitous. Your software is slow, bloated, unstable, superfluous, and does nothing better than your major competitors (including Origin!). Capitalism at it's best is about innovation and excellence through competition - not forcibly funneling customers into an inferior offering, because you can.

I'm not angry; I'm just tired of spending the first day with any Ubisoft PC port I buy on forums like these, scouring to find solutions to a laundry list of simple problems, amid a bunch of other customers wondering why their competent gaming PCs always run your brand of software so poorly.

If DICE/EA can apologize for Battlefield 4 and vow to do better, then you guys can own up to doing something about this.

wichking
11-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Thats ubisoft they never apologize. they rather get Vince Pontbriant and he tries to manipulate youa nd sell you for dumb.

Scottoest
11-12-2014, 11:20 AM
The point of this thread is not to accuse specific people of malice and manipulation. As for apologies - I doubt "contrition" is the first word most people would think of to describe Electronic Arts, either. Yet they unreservedly acknowledged they fumbled Battlefield 4, acknowledged they damaged trust with their players, and vowed to do better. And that was a single game - not a pattern of problems, over multiple releases.

strigoi1958
11-12-2014, 01:22 PM
The point of this thread is not to accuse specific people of malice and manipulation. As for apologies - I doubt "contrition" is the first word most people would think of to describe Electronic Arts, either. Yet they unreservedly acknowledged they fumbled Battlefield 4, acknowledged they damaged trust with their players, and vowed to do better. And that was a single game - not a pattern of problems, over multiple releases.

I doubt anything will ever happen, and definitely not because of anything any of us say here as it only reaches a tiny percentage of the gamers who play AC and no-one else. The console forum might be lively but the pc section has a hard core of posters and a few wandering in looking for answers or to complain so....none of us here are of any significance.

Personally I have no problem with Uplay... If I did I wouldn't buy Ubi games... Steam tends to stop working at random time not starting and it has loopholes than can be exploited that costs publishers money but I still like steam and have a lot of games... I like origin as well.... well I neither like or dislike any... they're just a convenient shop for me nothing more.

I only play campaigns so there is no immediate rush to get it on day 1 to get online or co-op but I still pre-order and although I hope games will be 100% working, I understand that, telling the programmers it will be released on this date.... doesn't guarantee they can solve everything before it goes out :( but I'm willing to take a risk... if not I'd wait a few weeks

Moose.Qc
11-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Give in, get a console :)

HSmania
11-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Give in, get a console :)

Give in, play outside :)