PDA

View Full Version : No Love For The Solo Gamer? (armor/weapons) *possible minor spoilers*

Engem
11-12-2014, 09:35 AM
I wasn't able to find a thread or a discussion relating to this topic, but if there is one already, feel free to direct me to it.

Okay, first I just want to say that I love the wide array of custimization and equipment options that has been provided in ACU. Customizing my character has always been a favorite of mine no matter the game.

Now, I understand that Ubisoft has gone to great lengths to bring co-op and multiplayer gaming into the AC series and I'm told they did a great job. But there are WAY too many pieces of equipment that are only unlockable via co-op and multiplayer play. For solo players like me, this hurts. I get that playing with your friends and family is an important part of gaming and giving exclusive co-op and multiplayer rewards is a great idea, but half the equipment being locked out with co-op and multiplayer unlock requirments is painful to the solo player.

Have mercy!

Im2aKillerfish
11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
I won't be buying PS plus till Christmas (Even that isn't confirmed) So I feel your pain. I am a little annoyed that both AC unity and Watch_Dogs require online stuff.

Destined299
11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Great, this is the sort of thing that I was afraid of. I can't stand multiplayer, and I have always liked the solo play of Assassin's Creed. Now if we want better upgrades we are forced to play with others? Bloody hell, this game just keeps getting worse and worse from the look of things. The whole companion app/initiate shenanigan I can put up with, this I cannot.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I wasn't able to find a thread or a discussion relating to this topic, but if there is one already, feel free to direct me to it.

Okay, first I just want to say that I love the wide array of custimization and equipment options that has been provided in ACU. Customizing my character has always been a favorite of mine no matter the game.

Now, I understand that Ubisoft has gone to great lengths to bring co-op and multiplayer gaming into the AC series and I'm told they did a great job. But there are WAY too many pieces of equipment that are only unlockable via co-op and multiplayer play. For solo players like me, this hurts. I get that playing with your friends and family is an important part of gaming and giving exclusive co-op and multiplayer rewards is a great idea, but half the equipment being locked out with co-op and multiplayer unlock requirments is painful to the solo player.

Have mercy!

You can play all the co-op missions solo.

Destined299
11-12-2014, 11:59 AM
You can play all the co-op missions solo.

Can you unlock the coop equipment if you do it solo though? If so, that puts my mind at ease.

jellejackhammer
11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I think you can just like the Cop related trophies and stuff

Engem
11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Really? Because I just tried the Co-op mission outside the Council Hideout and it just keeps searching for more players. No solo option. Been waiting and it's been searching for several minutes.

jellejackhammer
11-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Was it a Heist you tried? Because Those are cop only

Jay_Archer
11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
You can solo the coop missions/Heists as I have myself less than an hour ago, It may be more difficult but it is possible. You can not however unlock the Legendary pieces of equipment that require "Club Competition" solo as you must have at least one other club member with you to do club activities.

I'm with you though, the locking of content and forcing players to play coop if they wish to unlock it really makes my blood boil. That and the fact that Ubi also decided to lock content behind a mobile app/Initiates site makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking.

I am (was?) a huge fan of Assassin's Creed and have (had?) been since the first released in '07, however, Ubi has been making some questionable decisions as of late and as a result I find myself liking the series less and less as each installment releases.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Was it a Heist you tried? Because Those are cop only

No, they're not co-op ony. You can complete all the co-op and heist missions solo.

jellejackhammer
11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Oh ok good to hear But still stupid it needs that club thing to unlock stuff.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Oh ok good to hear But still stupid it needs that club thing to unlock stuff.

Indeed. It's ridiculous.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 05:42 AM
You can do any co-op mission solo, but you have to access them in a certain way in order for the solo option to show up.

The Club Competitions (where all the best stuff is to be had) are co-op only, which I agree sucks.

wvstolzing
11-17-2014, 06:03 AM
I just finished soloing one of the easy coop missions (Heads will roll); I'm puzzled as to why I didn't get all the rewards, but I won't research into it.

After all, the abundance of equipment & arms is due to the potential they open up for microtransactions; not because they make the in-game experience significantly different or richer.

By the way, difficult though it was, I can't help but think that trying to do that mission in an actual co-op with random people would've been FAR more difficult.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Coop unlocks are fine. Even if you can't find anyone to play with, you can play the coop missions solo once you're decently upgraded with other unlocks.

What annoys me to no end is Initiates and Companion unlocks. If those were doable quickly, it would still be fine. But as it is, I can't spend hours and hours on those just to get weapon and armor unlocks for the main game. That's stupid as hell.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I just finished soloing one of the easy coop missions (Heads will roll); I'm puzzled as to why I didn't get all the rewards, but I won't research into it.

I think you have to get all the animus shard thingies (whatever they're calling those things nowadays). One frustrating thing about co-op is that I always get the feeling that my co-op companions are wanting to rush through the mission, whereas I want to take things easier, explore and find all the extra stuff. Also, I'm slow, so they get all the mission requisites first, which is annoying. That's a big reason for why I prefer doing the missions alone.

By the way, difficult though it was, I can't help but think that trying to do that mission in an actual co-op with random people would've been FAR more difficult.

It's easier, because with 4 people, you basically go through the opposition like butter. The bad thing about it is that everyone's in such a rush that it's hard to know what's happening and the missions are over before you can say "spit". And no one (except me) ever heals anyone - it's all a mad rush and if you die you have to go back to the starting point. I think in future games, Ubisoft needs to figure out some way of making us move through these missions at a slower pace and help each other out. Maybe the stealing missions (whatever they're called) do that, because of the need for stealth, but I haven't played any of them with any other players yet.

One thing I noticed in playing co-op missions is that the co-op trailer is bogus. They use stealth in it, but in reality, no one uses stealth - there's no need. You just go up to any bad guys and kill them. Heck, most of the time you don't even need to drop a smoke bomb.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Really? Because I just tried the Co-op mission outside the Council Hideout and it just keeps searching for more players. No solo option. Been waiting and it's been searching for several minutes.

This was what happened to me as well, I could not even exit the Co-op mission (tried the controls they said to use (pad and then "O") to exit but they did not do anything. I had to quit the game and come back for it to release the looking for queue. No, it was not a Heist mission - in fact it was the one just beneath the Villa at the main base. Did I do something wrong? I would love to unlock these Co-op items.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 01:38 PM
whereas I want to take things easier, explore and find all the extra stuff. Also, I'm slow, so they get all the mission requisites first, which is annoying. That's a big reason for why I prefer doing the missions alone.

The bad thing about it is that everyone's in such a rush that it's hard to know what's happening and the missions are over before you can say "spit". And no one (except me) ever heals anyone - it's all a mad rush...

Too bad you are on Xbox, your play style and what you said there matches my own approach, and I feel the same way towards multi-player mates, always in a hurry to get the objective as fast and brutally as possible.

the sins of youth (1961) sigh.

ghostangel
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
You can select to play the co-op missions in private from the map.
The one thing that drew me to AC was that it was a game that was a single player experience - even when multiple player was added - it was still a single player game.
The first co-op mission I joined (the one about the food hoarders) was almost over by time I figured out was happening and where every one was on the map.
It seems as if they took the Wolfpack approach and ramped it up tenfold.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 01:54 PM
This was what happened to me as well, I could not even exit the Co-op mission (tried the controls they said to use (pad and then "O") to exit but they did not do anything. I had to quit the game and come back for it to release the looking for queue. No, it was not a Heist mission - in fact it was the one just beneath the Villa at the main base. Did I do something wrong? I would love to unlock these Co-op items.

Coop solo selection is bugged. Even if you go offline, it'll still try to put you in public by default and fail. But it's possible to get it working.

First, ensure that you're not near the location of the mission that you want to do. ie. You don't see its orange icon nearby. If you do see it, move away until you don't. Then go to the map and select it. Then you will be given two options like this:

http://i.imgur.com/eCrSZLT.jpg
Select "Play in private" and you're good to go.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Ahhh thanks for the information, I will try to pick some of them up that way - as you deduced, I was walking up to the start point and attempting to initiate it from there, not from the map as you suggested.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 02:31 PM
the sins of youth (1961) sigh.

LOL, yeah - I feel your pain. I was born in 1962 myself (as anyone can tell from my screen name) and I think it's funny that folks under 30 think their generation invented video gaming, when the fact is, it was our generation.

What the newer generations invented was the idea that videogames should be played as if you're on a mixture of coffee and methamphetamine. Seems almost no one under 30 wants to actually savor a game anymore - they're all in a race to see who can get 100% completion in as few hours as humanly possible. While I'm sure that isn't "actually" true, it certainly feels true.

DynaRider
11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
This situation could have been easily solved by UBIsoft. Why not two versions of the game? One solo player version and one with multiplayer, online options. I personally have no desire to do the online, multiplayer thing, preferring instead, to play at my own pace and in my own way. Microsoft took a real beating over their attempt to integrate touch screen, mobile and desktop users into one operating system. UBIsoft should have paid attention.

cryo_burned
11-17-2014, 06:46 PM
To anyone still wondering, to get all of the co-op unlocks for a mission, you must complete the mission three times. Each time you complete it you get a different award. Personally, I like to play each one in private, get all the sync points, and figure out the layout of the mission etc. Then do it online co-op the next two times, because the missions are over so fast in co-op and you just get your unlocks.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
To anyone still wondering, to get all of the co-op unlocks for a mission, you must complete the mission three times. Each time you complete it you get a different award. Personally, I like to play each one in private, get all the sync points, and figure out the layout of the mission etc. Then do it online co-op the next two times, because the missions are over so fast in co-op and you just get your unlocks.
The same as with getting assassin intel from rifts, then.
*sigh* This is going to be a pain.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Personally, I like to play each one in private, get all the sync points, and figure out the layout of the mission etc. Then do it online co-op the next two times, because the missions are over so fast in co-op and you just get your unlocks.

Yeah, that's what I've started doing too. Makes it so much easier.

Now I'm wondering if you even have to do any parts of the mission. Can you just sit around at the starting point and wait for the others to do it for you? Yeah, I know - it sounds kinda selfish if there's only two of you, but when there are three other guys - I mean, three assassins can easily take on a castle full of bad guys.

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Can you replay each one three times solo? I could not tell by your post if you had to do the other two in Co-op or not. Just curious - thanks

@Pr0metheus You and I could just sit back and let the youngsters race through these, they may not even notice we were not keeping up LOL

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, LOL. The thing I'm noticing is that when I start a co-op session the other players instantly log off. This happens a lot. What's with that? Is it a bug, or some kind of weird griefing thing?

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeah, LOL. The thing I'm noticing is that when I start a co-op session the other players instantly log off. This happens a lot. What's with that? Is it a bug, or some kind of weird griefing thing?

I have the same thing happening, I thought I read somewhere here (sorry forget which post) that it was a bug, and I think they listed it in the Patch 3 preview notes that I posted here as one of the things that are being addressed. I am trying some of them (Co-op missions) solo for now, hope that after the next patch the Co-op will be much more functional, along with them opening up the "coming soon" stuff that is within the Club mode. Not that I have any members yet, but still... LOL

Yeah here is what they said relative to that:

Preview of Patch 3

With Patch 2 live for PS4 and PC—and, as of this writing, with the Xbox One version in the pipeline—we want to start sharing a bit about what we're working on for the next major update, Patch 3. As compared to the previous patch, Patch 3 is going to be larger in scope, addressing a number of bugs in the areas where you’re telling us you're having the most problems.

The list of specific fixes is not yet final, but the categories that we’re focusing on include:

Matchmaking & Connectivity: this covers a number of issues related to co-op play, including bugs with joining games in-progress and problems that happen during host migration

------

Note - I cut out the rest of the post so to see the entire thing go here. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/952893-PATCH-3-Preview-Notes-%28release-date-unknown%29

wootwoots
11-17-2014, 10:15 PM

And, how do you do alone to get the stuff that only unlock with club multplayer stuff ?

My_Treehawk
11-17-2014, 10:28 PM
And, how do you do alone to get the stuff that only unlock with club multplayer stuff ?

I could not figure out how to do that if it is even possible, I did start a club on PS4 (if you are on that system) called Vociferous Unity if you want to join me and try to knock some of them out together. My PSN ID is the same as my tag here if you (or anyone that is not a "race to the end of the instance" type of player LOL) want to add me.

Steelray25
11-18-2014, 02:49 AM
I play late at night (generally after midnight EST).

Anyone on PS4 with similar game times, feel free to add me. I'd love to try this out properly.