PDA

View Full Version : Back up your save progress!

Oogakari
11-12-2014, 04:24 AM
So...guess what guys? Ubi****, the worst ****ing developer on this ****ing planet (and yes, they have managed to surpass EA for me) have done it again! Unity deletes save files just like Black Flag did! Yay!

In all seriousness, Unity does delete save files. It just deleted mine. Not after crashing, just quitting the game normally and then booting it back up later. I guess I got lucky, given I was only in sequence 4. Keep in mind, this is with the Cloud Sync/Save functionality turned off. I have it off because it's not enabled for Black Flag, which I still play and enjoy very much. And, as those of you who played Black Flag probably remember, keeping it enabled meant you were likely to lose your save files (it happened to me once due to that, and then two other times due to crashes). So yeah. I'm posting this both as a warning, in hopes that others will see it and read it and be able to take precautions. I'm also posting this to rant a little. Which I will now do. If you wish to ignore the nonsensical ravings of a madman, then please skip the following paragraph.

UBISOFT! WHAT THE ACTUAL LIVING ****! YOU HAD THIS GAME FOR FOUR YEARS! FOUR ****ING YEARS! AND IN THAT TIME YOU STILL COULDN'T MANAGE TO ELIMINATE A BUG LIKE THIS? OR ACTUALLY OPTIMIZE THIS PIECE OF **** "NEXT GEN" GAME? ****ING CHRIST! WHO THE **** EVEN RUNS QUALITY CONTROL ON THIS ****?

Ok. Caps lock has been disabled. I'm still going to rant a bit, but this will be the controlled anger section of the rant. If you wish to ignore the somewhat sane ravings of an angered and enraged fan, then please skip the following paragraph.

Ubisoft...serious question here: how the hell did this ever pass muster? I'm curious, honestly. The game runs like crap, certainly doesn't look all that "next-gen", and still has the damn save deletion problem that Black Flag had! How did you guys miss this? Honestly. You're a AAA studio. There's no excuse for stupid crap like this. Hell, if you were an indie studio, fine. I'd say, hey, you're young and inexperienced, and you're just trying your best. But you guys are a AAA studio that's been around in the industry long enough to know that **** like this don't fly. So what is it? Are you just that stupid and greedy? Or was there a legitimate reason that you couldn't be bothered to spend any time with the PC version? Hmmm? Because at this point, EA is looking like the better option. And yes, I did just say that. EA IS LOOKING LIKE THE BETTER OPTION. Please, Ubi. Don't make me think EA is better than you. Because I really, really, really don't want to. I want to like you and your games. Really, I do. But when you pull **** like this, and like what happened with Watch Dogs, and the save file mess that was Black Flag...it's hard. Really ****ing hard.

Anyway, I suppose the "TL;DR" version of this is that Unity does delete your save files if you have the cloud sync/save thingy disabled. So, use a program (I use GameSave Manager) to back up your saves so you don't lose them like I did. Also, I'm probably not going to buy another Ubi game for a long time, but that's neither here nor there. If you actually read through all that, I both congratulate you and apologize for all my ranting. In the meantime, I'm going to go play something else for a while.

~O

naumaan
11-12-2014, 04:28 AM
it happens when the game you are playing shuts down wihout passing through the typical way ... once i was playing bf .. and my pc restarted for lord knows what reason . my saved file got damaged

Oogakari
11-12-2014, 04:31 AM
it happens when the game you are playing shuts down wihout passing through the typical way ... once i was playing bf .. and my pc restarted for lord knows what reason . my saved file got damaged

This is true. However, what I'm trying to point out is, My save file (for Unity) got deleted by me SHUTTING DOWN THE GAME LIKE NORMAL. A la, quitting the game the usual way once I'd gotten to a good stopping point. That is the point I'm trying to make here. I'm well aware (and I hope the rest of you all are) that games can lose save progress and often do when they crash. However, Unity did it even when I shut it down normally. That's what I'm trying to make people aware of here. Anyway, thanks.

~O

Gekz0verlord
11-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Howdy, I'm one of the community guys from GSM, My suggestion to Ubisoft would be to implement a copy and paste solution where the save file is cloned with a new file name on launch so if that file ever gets corrupt at least the players will have something to fall back onto, also give users an elegant solution to control there saves in case of a redundant overload and expansion/resource usage. It's quite disheartening seeing GSM recommended quite a lot over the past few years due to this same bug that has risen up more times then needed. I personally dislike GSM in its current state, it's slow and sluggish. Hopefully GSM4 will rectify those issues.

dannyXn
11-16-2014, 08:28 PM
I got to a stopping point and exit the game as usual.
Started the game the next day and I am given the option to start over with a new game or return to the title screen.
Nothing out of the ordinary happened when shutting down or exiting the game when I last played.
No error messages about syncing to the cloud or anything.
My brother got his save back by uninstalling Uplay and re-installing. When he re-launched the game it synced his save file from the cloud save I suppose and was able to resume where he left off.
I was not that lucky. Guess I'm replaying the game before completing the first play through.

KmarkoPL
11-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Don't really understand why so many people have problem with they saves
Since Black Flag all I can see are complains about the cloud saves gone .
I am on mobile internet 3G witch is not perfect but that is not the problem for me.
Never got any problem with Cloud saves from the beginning when it was introduced.
Even when I build my new PC , installed all Ubisoft games and my saves have been automatically downloaded from Cloud .

PhazeDelta1
11-16-2014, 09:33 PM
It happened during Black Flag as well. A few of us lost all of our progression and the only response we got from Ubisoft, was to start over.

d00d3n
11-17-2014, 03:21 AM
This happened to me as well. Quit normally. Uplay synching was deactivated. My save is now "corrupted". Lost about 3 hours, but feel bad for those of you who invested tens of hours.

stevvie69
11-17-2014, 03:44 AM
they could at least give us a little program that runs in the background backing up the save games, oh sorry the game is supposed to do that doh