PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a fan that's been around here since the AC1 days. Minor Spoilers.

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Howdy! So, if any older members still come around they'll remember me maybe. I've been coming around longer than the jojn date says because I had some account issues. Anyway, I see the game getting alot of flak and wanted to weigh in if anyone cares.

AC1 was my favorite because I loved the time period and stuff. Then Black Flag replaced it as the character driven story and that ending were just great. I actually loved Revelations again for the character stuff and usually totally complete these games. Was like level 18 on the initiates site or something.

Anyway, I'm personally loving the game. I guess I may be biased but I don't see what the complaints are about. Arno is cocky and great. Another young guy like Ezio. I enjoy him and the way him and Elise chase each other about the way they do as kids.

I've just completed the first assassination and besides the frame rate dips and minor glitches like me falling through the map once I've totally enjoyed myself. The combat is better by far.. The graphics are amazing... The story I keep hearing is meh but from the character stand point if you're a huge fan of the series I don't see how you couldn't find that jail scene and joining the order the absolute coolest thing.

I really love how like the podcast has said.. That initiates actually feel important here. While others are just abstergo data miners we actually know most of the stuff going on already. Everything Rogue tries to tell you.. you know the truth and know all about Gavin already. Pretty cool I thought. Very Meta with it.

Anyway, curious if Mario, Lightrey, Assassin_M or any of the other older members still kick around here and what their thoughts on it are.

GreatBeyonder
11-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Well, I've been here since a while before ACII came out sooo...

I've only watched walkthroughs, so I can only comment on the story. Arno reminds me of a monogamous Ezio. The villain is also about as deep as Rodrigo was, only with far less personalty. I did enjoy Elise and Pierre though. I won't say too much though, for fear of spoiling you.

Megas_Doux
11-12-2014, 05:28 AM
This "incarnation" of me is rather new, suffered from some hacking back in the day, but I certainly remember you.

And I as said in other thread, it is sad that the reason everybody is hating of the game is performance. Gaming nowadays is about frames and some really questionable practices instead of true gaming. Gotta play the game for myself, see how it fares.

pirate1802
11-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Gaming nowadays is about frames and some really questionable practices instead of true gaming. Gotta play the game for myself, see how it fares.

Bingo. If I told the kids these days that I finished AC1 on my super-old PC back in the days at 10 fps, I'd think they would suffer something akin to a heart attack. I didn't even care about, because the game was that amazing that it sucked me in.

OpticSpecs
11-12-2014, 06:52 AM
All people do now is, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN AND COMPLAIN. it is really getting annoying on these forums because that is all you can read.

Assassin_M
11-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Hey, man. Good seeing you around. My thoughts? Been playing since I downloaded it yesterday. On Sequence 3 now. It definitely has its issues with pop ins and frame rate and the parkour is a bit rough around the edges but other than that? This game is amazing. I actually died. i DIED while trying, that felt amazing. an AC game making me feel this way....this is really not like any other AC game where you're a tank. You're pretty weak at the start and if you try to take on more than 3 guys, you're ****ed. I once had 6 guys around me and it was just two hits and I fell, man, I got impaled like a sheesh kabab.

Customization is awesome, the city is alive, the game design is fantastic, the side missions are MEATY. I did a Paris story, a Brotherhood mission and a murder mystery.

ALLLLL of that and I haven't even left the center Island.

I wouldnt be bothered by the complaints. I'm just sitting here enjoying. I can see where people are coming from but that wont stop me from enjoying this.

TJ_Wylde
11-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Maybe we should just lock all those "whiners" up in a room with the old NES and see how they fare haha. I still have mine in working condition if anyone's up for it :P.

OT: I still haven't gotten the mail that my guillotine edition is being shipped so i can't judge first hand yet. But from what i've seen i'm going to really love it. It looks great and the story imho seems pretty good and well thought out. I couldn't care less if it has frame dips or a glitch here and there. At least nowadays they can patch that later on. You couldn't 20 years ago and you just kept playing and learned to deal with it. Not saying it's accepted. Just that it won't ruin my own great experience with AC:U.

Just my 2c on it. Already was a long time reader before i even made my account so i do recognize your name. And i think you hit the mark with your thoughts. Now back into the shadows for me. Even these forums starts to get as poisonous as gaf it seems unfortunately.

Relmar_Vel
11-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Bingo. If I told the kids these days that I finished AC1 on my super-old PC back in the days at 10 fps, I'd think they would suffer something akin to a heart attack. I didn't even care about, because the game was that amazing that it sucked me in.

I'm very glad I'm the type of gamer that doesn't even notice frame rates. That doesn't even factor into my line of thinking when playing a game.

Generally what I've seen recently is "Unity is great, loving it... *Frame rate drops for a moment* I HATE THIS GAME! BURN IT AT THE STAKE! You shouldn't buy this, I must now make a hate thread!"

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey, man. Good seeing you around. My thoughts? Been playing since I downloaded it yesterday. On Sequence 3 now. It definitely has its issues with pop ins and frame rate and the parkour is a bit rough around the edges but other than that? This game is amazing. I actually died. i DIED while trying, that felt amazing. an AC game making me feel this way....this is really not like any other AC game where you're a tank. You're pretty weak at the start and if you try to take on more than 3 guys, you're ****ed. I once had 6 guys around me and it was just two hits and I fell, man, I got impaled like a sheesh kabab.

Customization is awesome, the city is alive, the game design is fantastic, the side missions are MEATY. I did a Paris story, a Brotherhood mission and a murder mystery.

ALLLLL of that and I haven't even left the center Island.

I wouldnt be bothered by the complaints. I'm just sitting here enjoying. I can see where people are coming from but that wont stop me from enjoying this.

LMAO I know!! I died twice now in combat and that hasn't happened since AC1! The guy dodged like 4 shots rolling and then stabbed me through the chest I was in shock haha.

I notice you mention the parkour. They said it would take us vets a bit longer to master it in some of the videos and I believe that to be true. The trick is knowing when to use what now.

Holding R2 still regularly parkours when on rooftops and stuff.. It just doesn't climb high. Hold X or A makes you really start to boogie or clear large gaps and O or B brings you down. Hiitting the L2 actually slides you into a window even if you're to the side of it. I know we all know these buttons but it's really fluid and nice once you get the groove going. I actually prefer it quite a bit now.

Glad some of you are still here and I'm glad we're all pretty much enjoying it. I'm sure this is a stress day for their team. They made their money but now they have to read all these complainers. At least they may see a few threads like this where they see the real fans appreciate it still.

CoachAssassin
11-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm not caring about Frames etc, I'm a total AC fan, all of its aspects. Wait untill you get deeper into the story, it will get blend and boring. If not, good for you. I would seriously be happy if a true ac fan can still be satisfied with this story :). Let us know what you think after sequence 12 has dropped :D.

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Will do. So far though I've really enjoyed the introduction... As long as I'm stabbing guys and theres a PoE and a Sage or something I'lll probably be content. I don't mind when the Templars are random history people I don't know. I don't know most of the history with these games and use them to buff up. Hell I'm a pirate knowledge master now.

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Bump, A new day!

Rugterwyper32
11-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Wow, dying in combat in an AC game and it's not AC1? I have to say, that's encouraging news. Last time I died from combat, it was in AC3 when I had my notoriety full and I decided to just let the guards kill me to get rid of it rather than be bothered to run around the city trying to change that.
Game's sounding pretty good. I'll definitely be getting it when I get my PS4 next year, haven't been able to get one yet. At least I have an HDTV now, so at least I won't have that problem.
As for framerate: I survived Blighttown in Dark Souls. If anyone else here has done that, then, frankly, framerate drops won't really be all that big of a deal. And I've gone through there at least 5 times now!

RzaRecta357
11-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Yeah it's no where near Blighttown bad so you are golden my friend! You'll enjoy it!

Fatal-Feit
11-12-2014, 04:29 PM
^ Yeah, it's not Blighttown bad, but it's pretty bad. Bad as in hard. This is the first AC game where I've needed to escape when going up against more than 1-2 guards. Or when backups are appearing.

It's an awesome thrill that I never thought would be caused by an Assassin's Creed. It's also amazing when you're surrounded by 3-4 guards, knowing you're screwed, and a CO-OP buddy shows up and saves you or vice versa.

RzaRecta357
11-13-2014, 02:13 AM
Agreed! I keep getting rocked and I love the feeling. So good.

Question everyone... Bishop...Rebecca with a new VA? I didn't think it was her until I heard Shaun.

SolidSage
11-13-2014, 02:47 AM
Best AC in the series. Been with AC from 1.

SO happy to hear that others were as shocked as me after getting impaled after fighting a couple of guards. It was just w.....t......f.....? It's so realz! They flippin killed me dead, and it looked like it hurt, I just dont....

Loving it :)

MnemonicSyntax
11-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Loving this game, not loving the combat.

I mean, I am loving the combat. But I miss certain aspects of the combat. Disarming, hand combat, picking up and using other weapons on the fly, hidden blade combat (though not a big gripe) no human shields (again not a big gripe), no picking up and moving bodies, and no fast walk/gentle push, which is probably my biggest gripe, especially with the huge crowds in France.

RzaRecta357
11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Loving this game, not loving the combat.

I mean, I am loving the combat. But I miss certain aspects of the combat. Disarming, hand combat, picking up and using other weapons on the fly, hidden blade combat (though not a big gripe) no human shields (again not a big gripe), no picking up and moving bodies, and no fast walk/gentle push, which is probably my biggest gripe, especially with the huge crowds in France.

I look at this like GTAIV. They made an absolute amazing game and I even prefer the story but by the time 5 came out they tweaked that engine so much it didn't even feel like 4 really. 4 was really bare too as it was the new engine and what not.

Assuming next years AC game will do what this does and then a whole lot more. I'm hoping we get a Brotherhood from AC2 situation.

Anyway, A new day like Kofi Kingston... Any new thoughts here? I guess Mario and Lightrey don't show up anymore?

RzaRecta357
11-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Bump

So the more I play the more I'm really REALLY loving this game. My frame rate issues don't seem as bad but apparently that's because of the back and forthing between the bad servers right now. I have a 50 down and 30 up connection so I'm assuming that's helping a bit. I've been able to explore with my buddy and do some missions with him. The gear is great and the side missions are FANTASTIC.

Seriously... Glyphs? Nostradomas riddles are AWESOME! No clues beyond the riddle and having to search is amazing. Murder Mysteries are great also. Just loving the story aspect to it and how they don't have to be tackled right away after grabbing if you don't want too.

Ubi is obviously working hard and fast to correct the experience as they've already released a patch and now theres an update for the companion app. Everything is well there too I think.

So far I'm still enjoying the story even though I'm only at sequence five taking it incredibly slow and enjoying it's flavor.

I'm in love with it now. The next game just needs corner transitions..whistling or something similar and the assassin on the loading screen :P.

EDIT: Thoughts on the new after assassination thing? I'm both ways on it. I love the new see before their death stuff but I really miss the conversations at the same time.

Sejdovic11
11-15-2014, 02:31 AM
All people do now is, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN AND COMPLAIN. it is really getting annoying on these forums because that is all you can read.

Wow, at the Ubisoft they love customers like you. They can serve you pure sh*t and you'll be just happy. Yes, I will complain, because I didn't pay 60€ for nothing. Imagine that you buy a Ferarri, but you can drive it only like 30km/h. Don't serve me with that fanboy BS, it's sad that they release a game in such a bad condition. There has to be some kind of revolution in gaming industry, that's just awful what they are doing. Pushing things out of the door unfinished, poorly optimized, even high end PC's can't run this properly. And yeah, I've been with AC since it came out in 2007 I think, but that is not excuse for me, when I pay my hard earned money for it, I want that my game is at least playable at day 1! I can understand bugs, glitches and all that, but a massive fps drops, NPC's pop-in's, bugged as hell? No, I'm not going to accept that. Like I said, they just LOVE customers like you are guys, some fans that would accept anything. No offense, I don't want to insult anybody, at the end, here we are all AC fans and gamers, I just want to say that you must raise your voice when something is not as promised. I don't know how old are you, but when you'll start earning your own money you'll get the point.

Cheers to all of you, I hope that they will be able to fix this in few days, if not I'll just sell my game to next person and finish my story with AC and Ubisoft.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 03:41 AM
I'm disappointed with Frenchzio, overall. I think they wanted another Ezio to carry the franchise and like the guys behind the Bond franchise ended up with Pierce Brosnen rather than Daniel Craig.

AC: Rogue, by contrast, feels like a much-much stronger entry.

devildog789
11-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Totally dropped the ball on the story though. Arno feels half developed, missed a huge character development plot between him and Elise, is he even an assassin at the end? They completely missed that part. Can you even name your assassins mentors in this game? I can't. Bellec would have made for an interesting plot throughout the game instead he gets a short lived, outta left field, 15 minutes of infamy.Left arguably one of the most interesting characters out in Napoleon.How did they get the sword? Is it a relic? A piece of Eden?And all the Templars you assassinate are really confusing. I don't even recall or remember what each one did in the story. They all felt rushed and not memorable. Story-wise, this game feels like a bad, B-list, Scyfy film. And just a random gripe, but who the hell is UBI fooling with the BS medieval armor? Spend hours solving 18 riddles (Halfway through I stopped and just looked them up due to severe headaches) just to unlock a cosmetic (With no stats or boosts) reskin of Altair's robes? C'mon Ubi, you dropped the ball bigtime!

RzaRecta357
11-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I haven't read that entire post above passed can I name my mentor. The dude has a database after all. Arno seems great up until Sequence 5 anyway. Dude wants to find out who killed his parents and the Assassin's are helping him figure it out even if it's a bit slower than he pleased.

We see him get initiated so unless some crazy stuff happens between now and the end I'll be happy. Historical characters and pieces of eden are what it's all about after all.

ACfan443
11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
I haven't fully completed the main campaign yet so I'll briefly share my thoughts:

Positives:
- Paris is stunning (holy crap the map is f**king huge).
- The districts are dense, bustling, and lively.
- The animations are top notch, I never tire of watching Arno collect his income from the chest at Café Théàtre, superb detail.
- The way the lighting interacts with environments and objects is mighty impressive, it's a visual feast.
- I'd describe the game as a cross between AC1 and AC2.
- The main missions and side content are varied and fun.
- The quality and quantity of side content is stupendous, I was a little overwhelmed by just how much there was.
- Characters are fantastic.
- Customisation is super addictive, unquestionably the best in any AC game. I dyed my robes 'Eagle White' and used the long coat tails, looks sexy as hell.
- The open ended, approach-from-all-angles assassination missions are really well designed.
- Combat can be challenging when you're faced with tougher, more resilient archetypes, and certain heists that carry a higher difficulty rating are actually difficult (if attempted solo anyway), making them all the more rewarding to complete.
- I thought I'd lament the demise of the Day/Night cycle - nope, couldn't care less. Whenever you fast travel or complete a mission, it automatically transitions to the next preset so the effect is not too dissimilar to that of a dynamic cycle.

Negatives:
- The flack it received for the technical issues was totally warranted. The clunky parkour, choppy fluctuating framerate, and all round roughness can really suck the fun out of the experience.
- Loading times are excessive and jarring (this is where the traditional interactive load screen wouldn't have gone amiss).
- The microtransactions, companion app, Initiates, and other gimmicky tacked-on BS should be removed forthwith, it serves no purpose other than to irritate the crap out of people.
- Lack of ambient music detracts from the exploration experience and immersiveness.
- The cover system needs reworking, it's sticky, doesn't let you manoeuvre around corners, and generally unrefined (I fell through the map twice whilst shimmying along objects in cover). Crouching is great though.
- Present day is at an all time depressing low, watered down beyond recognition (I suppose this is a positive for some).
- I sorely miss the death speeches, Unity had the potential to have some really amazing ones. The flashback thing doesn't really do it for me.
- The AC lore is virtually nonexistent, no POEs or other mysterious stuff interwoven in the historical fiction.
- The horrible cockney accents pull me out of Paris and drop me in some filthy back alley in London. Just why.

Despite the negatives above and the pre-conceived notions I had going into this game, I'm having a blast. (Just patch up the goddamm glitches and framerate Ubi).

On an unrelated note, what's with everyone writing off Arno as an Ezio clone? Yeah they share a few traits at the beginning of the game, but after his 'rebirth' he undergoes a complete transformation and ends up with attributes similar to Altair's. Are we even playing the same game? This Ezio-clone branding seems to invariably happen whenever they reveal a protagonist with a pony tail or fondness for women.

RzaRecta357
11-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I can agree with some of your points.. But clunky parkour? I think that's a case of a super AC fan using the new system and not being used to it the way they said actual huge AC fans will have a harder time than newer fans. Once you figure out when to press what and that L2 slaps you in a window from any side of it... Well you can just boogie so much better than before.

It's easily the best the parkour has been. Hold R2 to use the normal tiny parkour hops. X or A to hop large or go up and circle or B to go down tightly. Super awesome.

Agree he's nothing like Ezio passed youthful sarcasm. Also a bit sad about the modern day. I mean, the initiates site kinda does it for us but it's not the same. I hope they see how much we really loved the modern day when they browse the forums.

Cover system just needs to stick and unlatch a tiny bit better... definitely needs a corner transition.

Really miss the music too... Not sure how they messed that up after everyone whined during AC3. Also miss death speeches too. I enjoy the seeing life before their eyes thing though.. But yeah I miss the conversations quite a bit.

Also, no Humpback of Notre Dame easter egg? WTF Ubi?

Question for us super nerds since ACFan above, myself and I'm pretty sure Escoblades all go classic Assassin white. Is this just us all being super AC nerds? Love it :P.

EDIT: As for the chests..The blue ones don't count towards anything so unless you have major OCD you can just leave them. The app however is free and the chests are easy to get. Second screen was supposed to be a thing a few years ago so you can't blame them for doing it. I personally absolutely love not having to go into my in game map and stuff all the time just like I loved it with Black Flag.

The initiate chests are just there for incentive. That site was very fun and cool.. But only like 6% of the Black Flag community even touched it. They've revamped the site and it should be something very cool for missions daily on all AC games AND modern story updates.

They're hoping having it intergrated into the game would help bring that 6% up to like at least 15%. Sticking the chests in just adds more to that I guess.