PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed Unity is

aaronb09
11-12-2014, 04:03 AM
God I don't even know where to begin. Black flag was easily the best AC for me, I loved the mechanics and gameplay so here I was thinking "finally a true next gen AC" wow was I way wrong. ACU is easily the worst game in the franchise, right up there with the original. Everything I hated in the franchise such as terrible annoying frustrating combat, potion healing, annoying missions and boring story was brought back to the game. I like nothing about this game, the first hour I wanted to quit, nothing but silly failed steath missions and follow quests with lots of frame rate issues on the side. Not sure why you decided to go back to the annoying roots of AC unbisoft but I won't be buying anymore AC games. I thought I guys learned your lesson with AC3 cause black flag was so good but apparently u decided to go back to AC3 again? Wow what a disappointment

mellonxcollie
11-12-2014, 04:08 AM
Heh. I didn't care much for Black Flag. The story wasn't compelling to me, I didn't care for any of the characters, and it got way too repetitive for me.

I haven't played a ton of Unity, but I'm already enjoying it more than Black Flag. Combat is hard in this one though, so that's where most of my frustration is coming from. I guess I need to do more story missions so I can upgrade Arno and not die so quickly.

Dieinthedark
11-12-2014, 04:13 AM
Black Flag was absolutely terrible. Why would I care about a such a selfish character as a pirate, I couldn't even finish it. Plundering ships was so boring, and they were all the same. Nothing about it belonged in the AC franchise except the gameplay elements. AC1 was arguably the best game of the franchise perhaps not for gameplay but for the atmosphere, the story and the sense of intrigue. Combat isn't frustrating it requires more than mashing buttons. Also, how is AC3 = AC1? You said they're going back to the roots but then compare to AC1?

Uibi, I for one commend you for going back to the roots. It's exactly what this franchise has needed. And it seems you're following suit with Rainbow Six Siege as well...maybe give Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon the proper reboots too :)

aznassassin159
11-12-2014, 04:44 AM
Black Flag was absolutely terrible. Why would I care about a such a selfish character as a pirate, I couldn't even finish it. Plundering ships was so boring, and they were all the same. Nothing about it belonged in the AC franchise except the gameplay elements. AC1 was arguably the best game of the franchise perhaps not for gameplay but for the atmosphere, the story and the sense of intrigue. Combat isn't frustrating it requires more than mashing buttons. Also, how is AC3 = AC1? You said they're going back to the roots but then compare to AC1?
Oh dear god, YES. Glad to see someone else who shares the same viewpoints on the franchise as I do.

And if you love ACU so far, I just may have to give this one a chance. God knows how jaded I've become after AC3 and AC4, so hopefully this one will reinvigorate the feelings I had back in 2007.

mellonxcollie
11-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Yep, it's definitely more like 1 and 2 and that's largely why I love it so much. If you enjoyed the earlier games more than the recent ones, definitely check it out.

Dieinthedark
11-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Oh dear god, YES. Glad to see someone else who shares the same viewpoints on the franchise as I do.

And if you love ACU so far, I just may have to give this one a chance. God knows how jaded I've become after AC3 and AC4, so hopefully this one will reinvigorate the feelings I had back in 2007.

I'm glad I'm not alone then haha. The people who really liked AC1 kinda disappeared over time it seemed but there's still something very special about it. Granted I'm not very far in ACU at all yet but from what I've seen, I thoroughly enjoy!

Megas_Doux
11-12-2014, 05:38 AM
I liked Black Flag, I mean, A LOT!!!!

Both story and gameplay, because the whole pirate stuff was really fun to experience, a true AAA game was needed. But at the same time, it felt like a distraction from some the things that needed to be addressed in this franchise as well.

It is a shame though, that Ubi screwed it in regards of the only thing gamers tend to care about these days: Fraps and performance...

RobertMcSassin
11-12-2014, 05:41 AM
I really hugely enjoyed AC1...I finished it again over the weekend... :D ...Had decided to give it one more go, considering how much Alex Amancio (Creative Director of Assassin's Creed Unity, donchaknow ;) ) has been going on about how much Unity is like it...Very close to being my fave AC game...ACIII beats it though...*Shrug*...

Telling ya, you put shops, looting and upgrading a base into AC1 and I'm there...Like...Totally...

Aaaamywho...Glad I'm not the only one to not take to Edward then...Did have a soft spot for Blackbeard and Mary Read though...They were excellent characters...

I'm looking forward to Unity and Rogue...Both offer something different than those who came before...(See what I did there?...)...

Erm...I still maintain that there has been no bad games in the series so far...I've liked some less than others...But they've all been at least good, and time-sinks at that...

All.Names.Taken
11-12-2014, 05:54 AM
God I don't even know where to begin. Black flag was easily the best AC for me,...

It was at this point that I stopped taking you seriously.

DavisP92
11-12-2014, 05:58 AM
I'd say get Unity. The people complaining about it are the same people that played black flag and its crappy multiplayer a lot. Unity feels like assassins creed 2. And that was one of the best

False statement. I'm complaining about it and I think AC1 & 2 are the best in the series. AC2 had the best story, AC1 had the best assassin feel.

Although, Unity does feel like a mix between 2 & 1

pirate1802
11-12-2014, 06:27 AM
At was at this point that I stopped taking you seriously.

Might as well stop taking a lot of people seriously then, if the polls here are something to go by. Btw I don't take the "Pirate's Creed" people seriously either, so the feeling's mutual. ;)

False statement. I'm complaining about it and I think AC1 & 2 are the best in the series. AC2 had the best story, AC1 had the best assassin feel.

Although, Unity does feel like a mix between 2 & 1

Because people like easy excuses. Hate Unity? Oh must be one of this ship-humpers. Hate Connor? Oh then you must be an Ezio***. See?

Nuartey
11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Yep, it's definitely more like 1 and 2 and that's largely why I love it so much. If you enjoyed the earlier games more than the recent ones, definitely check it out.

This is what I want to hear but apparently the game is broken with bugs.

DavisP92
11-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Because people like easy excuses. Hate Unity? Oh must be one of this ship-humpers. Hate Connor? Oh then you must be an Ezio***. See?

Not sure if you're going along with me or trying to rebuttal. However, I've noticed that the people on this forum get overly defensive and categories the people with real criticism by lumping then in a group of "pirate fans", "cod fans", or etc. These opinions have no facts behind them. Without facts you can't make an argument, which is another reason why the same people use emotion (get upset and insult each other) on here.

I believe people hate Unity now for valid reasons: Can't play, aren't willing to play a game not up to the, so-called, "standard of next-gen gaming", meh story (from what I'm told, but i need to experience myself), false promises (for me the challenges [another name for sync. system], and what happened to the AMM system they talked so much about]), server issues (can't play co-op [even if i can, a lot of people are having issues]) and game-breaking glitches (haven't experienced one myself, but saw a friend's game freeze when opening the map)

at the end of the day, this was suppose to be their best game, better then all the others. But can anyone really say that with their experience playing the game, that it is the best out of the other 7 game? If so that's good for you, but it seems that it's not that way for a lot of people. And that is where the issue is.

People on these forums (at least the people that get too emotional and starts fights) seem to be ignorant on other people's perspectives (fyi ignorant means lacking knowledge, not stupid. I'm ignorant when it comes to biochemistry) and assume that their view is the only correct one. Which is horrible for the franchise especially if Ubisoft does make changes to the games based solely off of what these people say.

pirate1802
11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Going along with you mate :| (and also appear like that cool sarcastic/snarky guy :cool:)I remember you from AC3 days (weren't you the one asking for more RPGesque features in AC back from those days?)

jellejackhammer
11-12-2014, 01:41 PM
So you dislike unity for going back to what it used to be in the first place ? Did you ever play ac1 and 2? No offense though :)

lothario-da-be
11-12-2014, 01:43 PM
annoying roots of AC = opinion invalid

DA SHIZZLE IG
11-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Not sure if you're going along with me or trying to rebuttal. However, I've noticed that the people on this forum get overly defensive and categories the people with real criticism by lumping then in a group of "pirate fans", "cod fans", or etc. These opinions have no facts behind them. Without facts you can't make an argument, which is another reason why the same people use emotion (get upset and insult each other) on here.

I believe people hate Unity now for valid reasons: Can't play, aren't willing to play a game not up to the, so-called, "standard of next-gen gaming", meh story (from what I'm told, but i need to experience myself), false promises (for me the challenges [another name for sync. system], and what happened to the AMM system they talked so much about]), server issues (can't play co-op [even if i can, a lot of people are having issues]) and game-breaking glitches (haven't experienced one myself, but saw a friend's game freeze when opening the map)

at the end of the day, this was suppose to be their best game, better then all the others. But can anyone really say that with their experience playing the game, that it is the best out of the other 7 game? If so that's good for you, but it seems that it's not that way for a lot of people. And that is where the issue is.

People on these forums (at least the people that get too emotional and starts fights) seem to be ignorant on other people's perspectives (fyi ignorant means lacking knowledge, not stupid. I'm ignorant when it comes to biochemistry) and assume that their view is the only correct one. Which is horrible for the franchise especially if Ubisoft does make changes to the games based solely off of what these people say.
Nice to see another level headed poster/gamer around here. We are a rare breed now at days. With that being said though, A lot of people did hate on AC3 because they just couldn't get Ezio out of their hearts and souls. I kinda felt that way myself at first lol but conner and his story grew on me. I swear, 70% of the complaints about AC3 was "conner is dry, his story isn't all that, BRING BACK EZIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". 20% of the complaints were about the only real problem with the game, the dull setting(except the frontier & navy battles). 10% were about all the many glitches lol.

I'm curious about which game has more glitches, AC3 or unity? Haven't played unity that much or seen that much yet. But my little brother(who has it) told me it's just like AC3 so far lol. I said this once and I'll say it again, if ezio replaced conner on AC3 you would be hearing people call the game perfect.

Mr_Shade
11-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys, as long as you're civil - we are happy to read both positive and negative :)

That's what the forums are here for - discussions ;)

Moose.Qc
11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Was the best for me, lets hope that Unity is better…

sarcasm83
11-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Heh. I didn't care much for Black Flag. The story wasn't compelling to me, I didn't care for any of the characters, and it got way too repetitive for me.

I haven't played a ton of Unity, but I'm already enjoying it more than Black Flag. Combat is hard in this one though, so that's where most of my frustration is coming from. I guess I need to do more story missions so I can upgrade Arno and not die so quickly.

It's not the combat being harder that bothers me.. I actually hoped for the combat to be harder, as it was too easy in the previous games in my opinion. You could pretty much beat any army without even upgrading anything, just by using your counter efficiently.

So during the first hours of Unity, I thought "Hey, this is pretty sweet... it's challenging.. can't wait to get more moves and upgrades so I can defeat these guys!"

But now I'm starting to notice that it's not the difficulty level that kills me most of the time, but the clunkyness of the combat mechanics.

I've always hated it in assassin's creed when the character starts doing ... well... in the lack of better words; weird sh!t that I'm not trying to do.
In the combat AND in the movement system.

In every AC game, the camera angle can suddenly turn so one of the enemies gets a free blow from "out of the frame" or you clearly target one of the guys, yet the main character decides to try and hit/tackle/counter a completely different enemy than you're directing your movement towards... Or there being a very small ledge that your character refuses to go over while just walking and when you press the trigger to parkour over, he goes all apecrap and vaults on walls and basically goes everywhere else but casually over the ledge, like you're trying to. Resulting in frequent moments of you wanting to curse at the screen "NO, DON'T climb the wall.. no don't climb the wall back and forth; JUST RUN THROUGH THE OPEN DOOR FFS" etc.

All of that misdirected movement and combat is tenfold in Assassins Creed: Unity. It annoyed me in previous titles to some extent but it never was THAT bad, that it ruined my whole experience, but while playing Unity.. oh boy... At one point I was actually VERY genuinely angry and really pissed off. Had to take a breather. That doesn't happen to me that often.
I might get a bit frustrated or annoyed, but to want to throw my controller to the wall; It's very rare for me. And I really had to hold myself back from doing anything aggressive. (Luckily I didn't but .. sure felt like it :D)

So many BS deaths thanks to the main character just happening to go insane and do everything else but the thing I'm trying to do.
Add the difficulty factor that you need to be hit 3 times to die and same level enemies need to be sliced at least 10 more times than you do AND that they can even shoot you and do the same amount of damage without you seeing a clear indication of an incoming shot; Oh boy does it get annoying.

I honestly don't even get annoyed when I die because I screwed up. But when I feel the game screwed me over by being clunky/glitchy/all-over-the-place - it gets me downright furious :D

A real shame though, as I really see a whole TON of potential in Unity and as someone who never weirdly cared that much about Ezio and always thought Alta´r was the most interesting so far; I find Arno a very interesting character.. His jokes have the right kind of arrogance behind them that I like and .. he's a believable killer, when he gets really passionate and "pissed off" - wanting revenge - yet needing guidance to not just follow through with blind rage. Loving the game during cutscenes, at least so far. 60% of the gameplay; I gotta admit - I'm really not enjoying myself that much. It feels I need to keep struggling and playing very cautiously to have the character do what I want to do.

The game is such a mess on so many levels it gets really frustrating.

Come to think about it; I think I liked "Shadow of Mordor" so much, even though it's very similar to AC-games, because it was very well optimised when it came to the mechanics being consistent. Very rarely did the main character spazz out while moving around or during combat.
In unity, I can barely go a whole minute without something being noticeably "off" and alot of things are .. consistently inconsistant :P

(Edit; Playing on PC.. any different on consoles? And don't count me as a hater.. I'm definitely not trying to hate the game. In a matter of fact; I just had a short break from playing it and I'm about to jump right back in, hoping it would start going a bit smoother - but so far the flaws have been unfortunately undeniable.)

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Uibi, I for one commend you for going back to the roots. It's exactly what this franchise has needed. And it seems you're following suit with Rainbow Six Siege as well...maybe give Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon the proper reboots too :)

I can't understand the perspective that AC1 is the best in the franchise as I considered it to be the worst until ACU. The very fact someone thought every mission should involve massive trips across the Holy Land and up the hill to talk to someone shows the very poor game design. As for Black Flag, it remains my favorite entry in the series for the characters and historical value.

Of course, I don't view the Assassin's selflessness as superior to piratical selfishness. Part of why I like Rogue is getting a "normal" person's view on their activities and thinking, "You people have to be stopped."