PDA

View Full Version : Can ACU still become the fan favourite,despite the low review scores?

dimbismp
11-11-2014, 07:33 PM
?

I am still hopeful that i will enjoy the game....

Reaper-59
11-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Doesn't bother me at all mate, I don't listen to reviews at all. I'm still hyped for this game and I can't wait till Friday.

ze_topazio
11-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Everything can happen, I can only say that after I try it myself.

Relmar_Vel
11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Of course. Though I don't read online reviews, have to play a game myself to judge it and I don't go play game looking to break it down into pros and cons.

Farlander1991
11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Yes. Case in point: AC1.

Acentik
11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
With out multiplayer it cant be the best AC for me, but I still hope COOP will be fun and not like after story finished there is nothing more to do.

Shahkulu101
Perhaps one of the reasons reviewers didn't like it was because it was too focused on the roots of the series, instead of being a historical GTA and being focused on mainly the Assassin/Templar war rather than pirates. It might be the game fans have been crying out for, but a lukewarm entry to casual fans or newcomers. Think about it, the assassination missions are amazing according to reviewers, stealth is finally working to an extent - these might not be good enough to please a wider audience, but we as hardcore fans may find ourselves lapping up the refined core pillars.

You never quite know.

HiddenKiller612
revelations used to be my favorite in the series... and that wasn't very well received.

Relmar_Vel
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I enjoy every AC game to date. Unity may have some hate now, but in a few years after new titles those same people will rant about how Unity was the best of the next gen ACs. Then they will bash those games for awhile, until even newer ones come out. Cycle repeats.

LoyalACFan
11-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Well, I like it. Can't speak for "the fans" at large. Rogue's praise is depressing the hell out of me though, that game is crap.

Yes. Case in point: AC1.

AC1 has originality and nostalgia going for it. Now that the franchise is huge, it's hip to hate on it.

Codarsnacht
11-11-2014, 08:28 PM
While my excitement has been dampened slightly by the reviews, I still have high hopes. As another poster stated, ACR wasn't very well-received yet I find that one of the best in the series. Even AC3 which is still hated on to this day remains one of my favourites.

Sure, reviews can't be ignored but I'm not going to let my expectations down just because someone else didn't like the game :)

Namikaze_17
11-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm not praising Rogue...but I liked it.

Sure, it had it's flaws here and there but I think it lived to it's potential. :)

Unity is Alright...but it's story was meh and I didn't care for Arno. Elise was okay but... >.>

So story-wise Rogue > Unity

Farlander1991
11-11-2014, 08:43 PM
AC1 has originality and nostalgia going for it. Now that the franchise is huge, it's hip to hate on it.

Maybe, but AC1 still gathered a huge fanbase and even when AC2 was released, AC2 wasn't everybody's fan favourite. AC1 held a top for many for quite some time, at least.

And Unity has got a lot more going for it than AC1 as far as I know, so it's got more chances to gain a fan-base.

topeira1980
11-11-2014, 08:45 PM
it will take a couple of days till i get to play my PC version but if it runs fine i expect to like it more than i liked any other AC game.
ACU is simply doing what i always wanted AC games to do:
customization, demanding combat, stealth, sandbox missions.

this game might not be the surprise ACBF was, but for me that's a much better design choice. everything ACU is trying to do is exactly what i've been waiting for. i care little for story (it's gameplay above all else for me) so i couldnt care less about it and all the negative points reviewer have said really dont deter me. i dont care for any of them. i just want the refined mechanics in unity and decent performance out of my rig.

im extremely impatient for this game to come out in my country.

LoyalACFan
11-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Maybe, but AC1 still gathered a huge fanbase and even when AC2 was released, AC2 wasn't everybody's fan favourite. AC1 held a top for many for quite some time, at least.

And Unity has got a lot more going for it than AC1 as far as I know, so it's got more chances to gain a fan-base.

Oh, sure, there's always going to be a diversity of opinion, but I think it's pretty safe to say that AC2 was preferred by a huge majority of fans and reviewers alike when it launched, even though AC1 was still the favorite of many. Hell, there are still plenty of people who think either Brotherhood or AC3 (my two least favorites) are the utmost peak of the franchise. Everybody is going to have their own opinion, and each game has at least a few people who say it's the best one. But I don't see Unity toppling AC2 for the crown of majority favorite.

It sucks too, because I really think it might have had a chance if all the stupid "durr downgrade" and "Ubi is sexist" hadn't happened. It really is a great game from what I've played so far, but given the amount of negative press it's received ever since E3, it was doomed before it even launched.

Fatal-Feit
11-11-2014, 09:19 PM
If I weren't so fixated on Rogue, I would be playing the hell out of Unity right now. From the few hours I've had, it's a damn good game. Everything from navigation to combat to stealth have been tremendously improved. Especially the visuals, which I didn't expect from all the videos and livestreams. Literally, it's been a blast. On PC, at least.

As for the story, not so bad. I'm not going to lie, I like it so far. Arno feels like the Ezio I've always wanted.

hood3dassassin5
11-11-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that the critics are wrong.

SteelCity999
11-11-2014, 09:21 PM
One problem the writing is suffering from is the desire by Ubi to appeal to everyone so that anyone can easily pick up the new games and fit right in. For the most part, many of the stories of the past have been predictable but they are crafted around predictable events - so no great surprise. However, when the modern day element has vanished from the historical stories - such as AC2 and the vault, or the end of AC1 - you lose most of the surprise element and all of what ties the series together. What made the early games fan favorite's, for me, was how the two tied together. Now there is nothing for the historical story to latch on to. For the most part, the Templar and Assassin could be anyone for any reason because they are not given any context other than they are on opposing sides for some reason. Ubi is creating POEs like they are in the holodeck of the Enterprise....they should exist for a reason...

LoyalACFan
11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
If I weren't so fixated on Rogue, I would be playing the hell out of Unity right now. From the few hours I've had, it's a damn good game. Everything from navigation to combat to stealth have been tremendously improved. Especially the visuals, which I didn't expect from all the videos and livestreams. Literally, it's been a blast. On PC, at least.

As for the story, not so bad. I'm not going to lie, I like it so far. Arno feels like the Ezio I've always wanted.

Yeah, I like Arno a lot so far. Don't get why the Kotaku reviewer thinks he's dull, but then again I don't think I've ever agreed with Kotaku on literally anything, ever.

SlyTrooper
11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
One of the most annoying parts about this criticism is that I can't give my input. I don't even have the damn game yet... :(

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-11-2014, 10:01 PM
All these reviews are scaring me. But I think the game still has a chance.

But one reviewer I do not trust is Kotaku. I think we can all understand why. >_>;;

Look at AC3. People ended up eventually liking it, right?

LoyalACFan
11-11-2014, 10:07 PM

But one reviewer I do not trust is Kotaku. I think we can all understand why. >_>;;

The folks at Kotaku always seem to feel the need to be "edgy." I can't trust that. I still haven't forgiven them for the "Red Dead Redemption is the biggest zero of the 360 generation" piece.

The8bitAsian
11-11-2014, 10:31 PM
After hearing the reviews, it kind of bummed me out. However, I am still extremely excited for Unity though. I hear some people nit-picking about animation bugs such as invisible weapons, floating NPCs, etc. People might not remember, but I remember it happening in all of the ACs (some more than others). I do think the devs should polish that out because it can get buggy, laggy, and sometimes annoying but I find it kind of funny because to me, they are WTF moments. In terms of story, it never disappoints. A lot of people forget about the modern day aspect of the story which is a shame, especially the big company reviewers.
I see some of you guys saying that this is going back to the roots of Assassin's Creed. I totally agree, but I believe this game needs to become a basis for future ACs. Just like AC1 and the Ezio trilogy, a lot of people loved AC2 because it had a good basis coming from AC1 and an improved engine. The same goes until Revelations where it peaked. Then ubisoft started from scratch again with AnvilNext with AC3 and improved it for Black Flag. I hope the next AC uses Unity as a basis and I really hope the engine team can fine tune their engine. We know their engine can handle Paris, 5000 NPCs onscreen, etc. I just hope they can fix all the animation bugs to level out and equalize the quantity/quality into a massive workable game.

SlyTrooper
11-11-2014, 11:00 PM

To be honest, Unity is still achieving 81 on metacritic at the moment, so it's not doing too badly. That's actually pretty good. Rogue still needs another review for it to get a score, but it seems it will probably end up with 90+ at the moment.

GoldenBoy9999
11-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty surprised. I just got home and went to GI. They gave ACU a 8 and Rogue a 8.25. The one people were saying was rushed and isn't innovative is scoring higher. :p

I'm not going to let these reviews have an impression one me, I'll make my own when I get them tomorrow at noon.