PDA

View Full Version : WOW. These review scores are terrible!

vizionblind
11-11-2014, 07:29 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930817

D.I.D.
11-11-2014, 07:36 PM
That's an exaggeration. The scores are reflective of some disappointments. I don't know what I think of the game because it's not available here yet - maybe I'll hate it, or maybe those scores are right and it's good but not spectacularly good - but to say that anything under 8 is "terrible" is a bad policy. You'd have missed some great games with that approach.

vizionblind
11-12-2014, 02:34 AM
That's an exaggeration. The scores are reflective of some disappointments. I don't know what I think of the game because it's not available here yet - maybe I'll hate it, or maybe those scores are right and it's good but not spectacularly good - but to say that anything under 8 is "terrible" is a bad policy. You'd have missed some great games with that approach.

how do you figure?

D.I.D.
11-12-2014, 02:51 AM
how do you figure?

7/10 means "good" on every review scale, even if readers think "9" means "buy it", "8" means "it's passable", and "7" means "avoid this massive turkey".

There are tons of games that aren't the greatest ever made, but if people asked me for my favourite games there'd be a load among them that would fit the 7/10 bracket, both in terms of how I'd review them for a mass audience and in terms of the scores they actually got on release. Let's not forget you would never have started playing AC at all with the first game if 7/10 review scores were a problem for you (5.5 from Destructoid, 6.5 from IGN UK, 7 from Gamespy...).

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger got 7/10 from lots of reviewers: Eurogamer, Joystiq, Gamefront, Games(TM), Official XBox Mag, GamesRadar, even less from others. It's one of my favourite games ever: a really pure shooter, with tons of wit, atmosphere and obvious love from the designers who made it. Spec Ops: The Line has a 70-ish average Metacritic score, and that's fair, but I also believe it's well worth playing and I think its story will cause it to be remembered for far longer than any of the other military shooters that routinely get 9s. Driver: San Francisco - mostly sub-80 scores, and that's fair, and it's also a truly unique driving game that's a blast to play. Metal Gear Rising is a preposterous game, and a typical 7/10. Fun? God, yes. Enslaved: Odyssey To The West wasn't a worldbeater, but a nice enough game that got me to love its world, and I'm glad I played it.

There are loads of these. I could restrict myself to just the 9s and 10s, but that wouldn't give me the best games collection.

DavisP92
11-12-2014, 02:54 AM
honestly the reviews are being too generous. I'd give the game a 6 or 5 out of 10. They built the hype up, saying we can assassinate how we want, and dropped the ball... again. So many issues with this game. time to move on to another series, or just quit gaming. Too bad Patrice wasn't on the team, he would have made the game actually good

STDlyMcStudpants
11-12-2014, 02:59 AM
honestly the reviews are being too generous. I'd give the game a 6 or 5 out of 10. They built the hype up, saying we can assassinate how we want, and dropped the ball... again. So many issues with this game. time to move on to another series, or just quit gaming. Too bad Patrice wasn't on the team, he would have made the game actually good

Thats why you shouldnt review games.
A reviewer shouldnt never rate based on promises, but rather what the game actually is.

DavisP92
11-12-2014, 03:44 AM
A reviewer shouldnt never rate based on promises, but rather what the game actually is.

That is very true, review shouldn't be based on promises. But consumers buying games buy games based on promises. So really either way the game is a flop, they said this was the next gen experience... didn't know the next gen experience was filled with frame rate drops, horrible glitches, freezes, pop ins. And I don't even want to get into the idiotic concepts in the game

EmbodyingSeven5
11-12-2014, 03:59 AM

idk. if a stranger walked up to you and offered a thousand bucks you are going to be hyped until the man hands you ten bucks instead. getting ten bucks is great and all but you were looking forward to that thousand.......

it is then hard not to be mad at the money or disappointed at it. I SHOULD BE A POET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!