PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think they'll (drastically?) reduce number of on-screen NPCs?

Xenolithium
11-11-2014, 07:02 PM
The PC folks can laugh at us all they want, but honestly...I'd take substantially less NPCs on-screen if it would mean a solid FPS count.

D.I.D.
11-11-2014, 07:06 PM
It's the obvious cut to make if they can't go any further with graphical adjustments, yes. Fewer bodies is one thing, but the AI that goes with them is pretty costly too, plus the audio cues.

They might find a more general way to streamline the entire thing without sacrificing anything, though. The fully updated Watch Dogs on PC is much better than the one at launch, and the extra stability and cures for the frame rate drops came along with a few improvements to the look, too.

ThisNameIsSoCool
11-11-2014, 07:13 PM
They should anyway. When I walk into a room and see people pressed up against each other, it just looks unrealistic. People pressed together in an angry mob is one thing, in casual situations people don't stand so close to each other. It's like they were just trying to cram as many people into one space as they could, just the sake of doing it.

TwentyGlyphs
11-11-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't understand the obsession with trying to push such huge crowds. You see it a few times and then it becomes invisible or a nuisance when they get in your way. If they were capped at 200 NPCs before but are able to hit 1000 without many issues now, what's so bad about an improvement of 5 times? It makes no sense to push the crowds to a point that it will tax the performance of the game. Almost nobody will notice the difference between 2000 NPCs and 1500 or 1000, and even if they do, that's still a ton of NPCs on the screen and a very impressive leap over the previous generation.

ze_topazio
11-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Crowds numbers will be dependent of the setting, it was necessary for revolutionary Paris, may not be necessary for the next setting, which will allow to spare processing power for other things.

Xenolithium
11-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Crowds numbers will be dependent of the setting, it was necessary for revolutionary Paris, may not be necessary for the next setting, which will allow to spare processing power for other things.

Sorry, but when the NPC density negatively impacts gameplay across all platforms, it's a waste of data.

VestigialLlama4
11-12-2014, 01:09 PM
It's the obvious cut to make if they can't go any further with graphical adjustments, yes. Fewer bodies is one thing, but the AI that goes with them is pretty costly too, plus the audio cues.

They might find a more general way to streamline the entire thing without sacrificing anything, though. The fully updated Watch Dogs on PC is much better than the one at launch, and the extra stability and cures for the frame rate drops came along with a few improvements to the look, too.

The problem is that the crowd is just "there". It doesn't play a big role in how you relate to the story and the setting. Like in brotherhood renovating Rome and moving among the NPCs gave you a sense that you were bringing the Renaissance into their lives. In the homestead you were the father of the community. Arno is not a man of the people so the NPCs have no real meaning metaphorically. That's why making an aristocratic assassin just doesn't work

Moose.Qc
11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree, 5000, drop it to 4000... simplicity...

Bigodon
11-12-2014, 01:15 PM
i just don't care anymore
ps4 version will still optimized like their a s s

they give a f*** to me, so i gave a f*** to theirs