PDA

View Full Version : Only 10 minutes in, and I've determined PC support was an afterthought...

Booyaah82
11-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Just some background, I recently built my dream (almost) computer after my 5 year old POS just wasn't cutting anymore, and I was very excited to see how it would handle this game (i7-4790K and 2x GTX 970s both overclocked). So I also game on 3 monitors, let's just say Watch_Dogs support for Nvidia Surround was pretty horrible (isn't Nvidia giving you guys a lot of money for this game?), so I was kind of skeptical even before hand how this game would work. Unfortunately my experience has been less than stellar:

First time firing up the game. I don't know what happened (apparently my SS didn't save), but the game tried to figure out, 'oh look he has 3 monitors', let's just put the game on the center screen to start'...but it failed miserably. What I got was a 3 screen resolution smashed into just my center monitor. Okay, no biggie, but it kind of ruined the initial awe of the game because the initial Abstergo video was only using the 1/3 center portion of my center monitor.

Finally I get into I guess what the main screen is with a bunch of tiles for missions or something (note this is still only displaying on 1/3 screen here). I thought that was a little strange that there was no options screen. I notice though, every time I try to select something with the mouse, the selection immediately moves back down to the right corner 'locked' tile. It's was almost as if there was input coming from another device, like a stuck key, then I thought to myself, I wonder if it's my Saitek joystick I use for flight games. Sure enough I push the throttle from the down to up position and now my tile selection moves to the top one.

So apparently I have to unplug both my throttle and joystick every time I want to play this game, cause AC thinks it's a gamepad. I'm just going to say that this is totally unacceptable for a 'AAA game developer'. Honestly, I really doubt anyone is going to use their X-55 HOTAS to play this game. Please I don't want to have to keep unplugging my devices any time I play this game. I don't care how, but please allow us either an in-game way to disable joystick detection. I would even be fine with editing some config.ini file.

Then WTH is up with the mouse sensitivity on the menu screens? I can't believe I'm saying this, but at least someone was smart enough on the Watch_Dogs team to put a separate contoller options for mouse menu sensitivity. Like seriously, why have you neutered the x-axis? The mouse moves so slow horizontally I have to drag it all the way across my mouse pad, it's like 1/3 as responsive as it is in windows.

Did you guys rush the PC port so much that you didn't have time to put in actual keyboard shortcuts in the HUD. I'm seeing 'press the A key to do this, press B for this, press Y for this, etc. This is after I have unplugged my joystick stuff completely and restarted the game. No I don't have a gamepad plugged in.

I don't know what you did, but my F10 Afterburner print screen key won't even work. Okay I take it back, it works 'sometimes' randomly. Still annoying not to be able to take screen shots at will, whatever. I kind of seems like a lag input issue I'n not sure.

Okay, so I have dual 970s. I would actually think I'm gonna get pretty decent experience here. However, I think that without even really playing the game much yet, that I could tell there is no way this game supports SLI, you know that Nvidia technology? My menu screen is running at 33 FPS...I REALLY hope that is only using 1 card. This scares me, I guess I might have to go down to a single monitor or lower graphics settings, we will see. And before you say it, yes I already downloaded the new 344.65 Nvidia drivers with the supposed AC optimizations last night before downloading the game.

Anyways, I just wanted to throw out some initial first impressions. I haven't really started to play the game yet, and it's already leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I hope with this being day one, that maybe some of these bugs or quality of life issues get addressed, especially the joystick detection. I know this isn't the right place for it, but I feel sorry for Nvidia for spending so much money on this, because it really screams like a rushed console port so far with no optimizations done. Hell I probably get better FPS with Star Citizen and that game's totally an unoptimized pre-alpha.

I'll update this post as I go along. Hopefully the story and actual game is enough to drown out my initial letdown and whining and moaning.

soccer06
11-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Just some background, I recently built my dream (almost) computer after my 5 year old POS just wasn't cutting anymore, and I was very excited to see how it would handle this game (i7-4790K and 2x GTX 970s both overclocked). So I also game on 3 monitors, let's just say Watch_Dogs support for Nvidia Surround was pretty horrible (isn't Nvidia giving you guys a lot of money for this game?), so I was kind of skeptical even before hand how this game would work. Unfortunately my experience has been less than stellar:

First time firing up the game. I don't know what happened (apparently my SS didn't save), but the game tried to figure out, 'oh look he has 3 monitors', let's just put the game on the center screen to start'...but it failed miserably. What I got was a 3 screen resolution smashed into just my center monitor. Okay, no biggie, but it kind of ruined the initial awe of the game because the initial Abstergo video was only using the 1/3 center portion of my center monitor.
Finally I get into I guess what the main screen is with a bunch of tiles for missions or something (note this is still only displaying on 1/3 screen here). I thought that was a little strange that there was no options screen. I notice though, every time I try to select something with the mouse, the selection immediately moves back down to the right corner 'locked' tile. It's was almost as if there was input coming from another device, like a stuck key, then I thought to myself, I wonder if it's my Saitek joystick I use for flight games. Sure enough I push the throttle from the down to up position and now my tile selection moves to the top one.

So apparently I have to unplug both my throttle and joystick every time I want to play this game, cause AC thinks it's a gamepad. I'm just going to say that this is totally unacceptable for a 'AAA game developer'. Honestly, I really doubt anyone is going to use their X-55 HOTAS to play this game. Please I don't want to have to keep unplugging my devices any time I play this game. I don't care how, but please allow us either an in-game way to disable joystick detection. I would even be fine with editing some config.ini file.
Then WTH is up with the mouse sensitivity on the menu screens? I can't believe I'm saying this, but at least someone was smart enough on the Watch_Dogs team to put a separate contoller options for mouse menu sensitivity. Like seriously, why have you neutered the x-axis? The mouse moves so slow horizontally I have to drag it all the way across my mouse pad, it's like 1/3 as responsive as it is in windows.
Did you guys rush the PC port so much that you didn't have time to put in actual keyboard shortcuts in the HUD. I'm seeing 'press the A key to do this, press B for this, press Y for this, etc. This is after I have unplugged my joystick stuff completely and restarted the game. No I don't have a gamepad plugged in.
I don't know what you did, but my F10 Afterburner print screen key won't even work. Okay I take it back, it works 'sometimes' randomly. Still annoying not to be able to take screen shots at will, whatever. I kind of seems like a lag input issue I'n not sure.
Okay, so I have dual 970s. I would actually think I'm gonna get pretty decent experience here. However, I think that without even really playing the game much yet, that I could tell there is no way this game supports SLI, you know that Nvidia technology? My menu screen is running at 33 FPS...I REALLY hope that is only using 1 card. This scares me, I guess I might have to go down to a single monitor or lower graphics settings, we will see. And before you say it, yes I already downloaded the new 344.65 Nvidia drivers with the supposed AC optimizations last night before downloading the game.

Anyways, I just wanted to throw out some initial first impressions. I haven't really started to play the game yet, and it's already leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I hope with this being day one, that maybe some of these bugs or quality of life issues get addressed, especially the joystick detection. I know this isn't the right place for it, but I feel sorry for Nvidia for spending so much money on this, because it really screams like a rushed console port so far with no optimizations done. Hell I probably get better FPS with Star Citizen and that game's totally an unoptimized pre-alpha.

I'll update this post as I go along. Hopefully the story and actual game is enough to drown out my initial letdown and whining and moaning.

I play with a controller, but when I move my mouse, the HUD shortcuts do switch to the correct mouse/keyboard bindings.

FecalMatter905
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Ha, good luck playing this on 3 monitors. Nobody with a GTX 980 seems to be able to have a steady 60 FPS on one monitor.

Xenolithium
11-11-2014, 06:50 PM
You act like things are better on the console side. It's not. This game is fubar across the map.

Rekalty
11-11-2014, 06:54 PM
There's issues on all platforms, it's not just PC that's suffering. I guess they didn't think QA was needed, since we'll gladly pay to test their game for them.

King_of_Ricers
11-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Never expect a game to deliver when it's hyped, literally. I mean if they put so much money into marketing, do you really thing they'll be able to afford the game to be top-notch? They have a budget y'know, that means they have to choose where to spend it. Apparently the priority of Ubisoft is to make a game which is unfinished, hype the **** out of it and release it. These guys only live on pre-orders, hype=pre-orders. If you want people to buy your fking game AFTERWARDS not just pre-order stop this utter bullcrap. You're screwing your customers!!!!!!!

UbiVolfbane
11-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Hi all, sorry for any issue you may be running into. If you'd like to help us report and investigate this, please submit your dxdiag and msinfo. In the meantime, please try temporarily disabling any other background programs or devices that may use overlays. You may also want to try removing any other USB devices that are not in use to see if it helps. In the meantime, please submit a ticket to Support with as much info as possible here: https://support.ubi.com.

D_cover
11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Hi all, sorry for any issue you may be running into. If you'd like to help us report and investigate this, please submit your dxdiag and msinfo. In the meantime, please try temporarily disabling any other background programs or devices that may use overlays. You may also want to try removing any other USB devices that are not in use to see if it helps. In the meantime, please submit a ticket to Support with as much info as possible here: https://support.ubi.com.

I just face planted my desk. This shouldn't be happening to a AAA title. What happened to improving support on PC? What happened to Ubisoft being good? I remember quality games like The Prince of Persia being flawless.

Now you need to make statements like this http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/15/ubisoft-to-increase-focus-on-pc-gaming and they still sound empty.

Dicehunter
11-11-2014, 07:29 PM
snip.

It's Ubisoft in general bud, Although I love the AC games Ubi has never really cared about performance on the PC *Around the time of brotherhood* and seeing as the PS4 and XB1 are basically low end PC's we are all screwed :p

This was evident when one of their top guys on Black Flag said "If it can't run on your pc then just get a better graphics card", I mean, Seriously ???

I just face planted my desk. This shouldn't be happening to a AAA title. What happened to improving support on PC? What happened to Ubisoft being good? I remember quality games like The Prince of Persia being flawless.

Now you need to make statements like this http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/15/ubisoft-to-increase-focus-on-pc-gaming and they still sound empty.

That Ubisoft we knew and loved has long since died and been replaced with EA-like cash grabbers :(

Booyaah82
11-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Okay, I would like to report back an update.

It seems like there could definitely be some more optimization, although given the level of fidelity, I consider the performance acceptable but not great by any stretch. I averaged 40 FPS on 6020x1080 resolution and I managed to crack 100 FPS going down to just ole regular 1080p. There are some stuttering issues on larger resolution...maybe an 6-8 GB card would fare better :P

It seems like closing out Chrome completely and turning AA down from SMAA to FXAA helped stuttering.

Yes I will probably submit a ticket for the joystick issue though :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/dtdono0/Gaming/Benchmarks/ACU_2014_11_11_15_47_11_811_zpse79532ac.png

dbgager
11-12-2014, 02:37 AM
SLI is not always a good thing. Infact if a game is heavily dependent on the CPU. You will actually get less FPS than 1 of those cards alone. SLI takes many cycles from your CPU to work. If it was me I would have purchased 1 GFX 980. Try it with just 1 card. Besides the fact it introduces more heat into your system and requires more power. I am not a fan of SLI unless you need it to display larger multiple monitor resolutions that 1 card cannot handle. And if you are trying to display some humongous resolution why would you actually wonder why it does not run well.

USAdystopia
11-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Sometimes gamers actually need to be a little patient and tinker with their systems and not jump all over the devs or the driver teams. Guys on the AMD forums are trashing AMD hardware and drivers when Nvidia has its own issues...heh...heh...heh.

Xanety7
11-12-2014, 03:28 AM
It's not that PC is an after thought, because they develop it on PC's. However they build on a certain system, and us PC Gamers build our own systems. I am running latest 8-core i7/32 gigs of DDR4 and 3 GTX 780's and I can barely select anything from the main game menu. LOL. Disabling SLI I get about 5-10 more FPS but at 4k its hard to tell.

Consoles VS PC's

Ok guys first off, Microsoft/Sony don't let anyone just release unfinished work. They submit the game and get back all the issues with it. We don't have any quality control on PC except for forums and demands for refunds, because game is not compatible with our system. Also consoles have same hardware they don't have endless compatibility problems.

And 1 thing that I notices....games that have Nvidia sponsors run worse with Nvidia cards then ati cards. and vis versa. Look up benhmarks....its funny!

Also SLI or Cross fire has to be supported by game dev or its a waste and thats a lesson I have learned. All the latest games are not supporting Multi GPU right off the bat. Wait for update and it will have it.

And now that they are putting multiple GPU's on a single card. SLI/Cross Fire will die out.

Lets go back to AGP Cards...and screw this PCIE....straight shot 16x AGP will eat PICE. but nobody is making that technology...it works too good...and nobody would upgrade lol.

GeneralTruin
11-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Gotta admit, this is a great way to make money UbiSoft' - have people buy a game, get payed, and then release a broken product and then take your sweet time to try and fix it *if that is what they are even doing atm*. I pre-ordered and payed up front for the CE so in my mind, they made off with $130 some dollars.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 03:44 AM
And the fact of the matter is you will keep on doing it.Truin ..because UbiSoft games are the best games on the market once they get them running right. You will be first in line to buy Farcry 4. Have a little patience and don't bash the developers who have given you 1000s of hours of entertainment.

Booyaah82
11-12-2014, 03:49 AM
SLI is not always a good thing. Infact if a game is heavily dependent on the CPU. You will actually get less FPS than 1 of those cards alone. SLI takes many cycles from your CPU to work. If it was me I would have purchased 1 GFX 980. Try it with just 1 card. Besides the fact it introduces more heat into your system and requires more power. I am not a fan of SLI unless you need it to display larger multiple monitor resolutions that 1 card cannot handle. And if you are trying to display some humongous resolution why would you actually wonder why it does not run well.

I think I said in my OP that I am running triple monitors. There are plenty of games where I can run 6k and get 60-100+ FPS. ACU doesn't really look good enough like a Crysis, modded Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Metro LL, or hell I'd even say Far Cry 3 looks better. My PSU has plenty of juice to provide for 2 cards. My point is, there are many other games out there that are just flat out optimized way better. You could tell this was rushed is all I am saying. A great recent example of a well optimized game I have played recently, not even favored with Nvidia, is Alien: Isolation. That game just looks freaking amazing and I run 100+ FPS even in the more open areas with 3 monitors.

Oh and I figured out my issue with the joystick being detected and always sending a down input. You disable all HID devices in Device Manager and you can leave your joystick plugged in and it still will work for flight games.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/dtdono0/Gaming/Benchmarks/UBI_Joystick_Fix_zpsd4e88c01.png

dbgager
11-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Well good luck.... i hope you get your setup working right...

USAdystopia
11-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Actually, there are much less gamers complaining than I had expected, Truin. The guy behind the keyboard is important in PC gaming.

GeneralTruin
11-12-2014, 06:03 AM
And the fact of the matter is you will keep on doing it.Truin ..because UbiSoft games are the best games on the market once they get them running right. You will be first in line to buy Farcry 4. Have a little patience and don't bash the developers who have given you 1000s of hours of entertainment.

I am not saying that I will not be having fun (when they get their **** together) but you don't release something that is broken. You don't go and sell a brand new car off the lot and have parts missing.

And FarCry is a waste of time personally. Never liked it.

I'm just very disappointed thats all.