PDA

View Full Version : Someone on Reddit posted how to get the most performance from Unity.

Fatal-Feit
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2lylrt/how_to_get_acceptable_performance_in_acunity/

submitted 2 hours ago * by bwat47 (http://www.reddit.com/user/bwat47)

For vsync do not use
in game vsync, it is double buffered and will often drop you to 30 fps. Use borderless windowed mode and let windows do the vsync for you outside the game (provided you haven't disabled aero). I don't know why ubisoft refuses to implement triple buffering in their assassin's creed games, it makes them appear to perform a lot worse than they actually do.
Disable PCSS
Don't use MSAA or TXAA, it has an absolutely massive performance hit in this game, especially in areas with tons of NPC's (it would often drop me sub 30 fps). Using FXAA just about doubled my performance in this game (gtx 970), and now FPS almost never drops below 40 in the very NPC heavy areas.

This game isn't nearly as cpu bottlenecked as it initially appears, MSAA is the biggest performance killer in NPC heavy areas, in my experience so far. I've got an i5-2500 cpu and gtx 970 video card, and with these settings can get a solid 40-80 fps, and it performs (and looks) better than watch_dogs for sure. Performance is about what I'd expect from a game with a large open world with lots of detailed geometry + massive amounts of NPC's. I recorded some brief gameplay with a mix of roof climbing and running around a highly NPC heavy area:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBuIkUxdHI

ZaioFong
11-11-2014, 04:30 PM
you need to capture with shadowplay or something better than what your using. Everything looks blurry as hell and I've seen cleaner videos off ign using a xbone.

Dag_B
11-11-2014, 05:01 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2lylrt/how_to_get_acceptable_performance_in_acunity/

submitted 2 hours ago * by bwat47 (http://www.reddit.com/user/bwat47)

For vsync do not use
in game vsync, it is double buffered and will often drop you to 30 fps. Use borderless windowed mode and let windows do the vsync for you outside the game (provided you haven't disabled aero). I don't know why ubisoft refuses to implement triple buffering in their assassin's creed games, it makes them appear to perform a lot worse than they actually do.

Again, really? So I guess D3DOverrider is again an option, saved my Black Flag experience last year because it handled the triple buffering. :nonchalance:

peshu
11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Again, really? So I guess D3DOverrider is again an option, saved my Black Flag experience last year because it handled the triple buffering. :nonchalance:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sorry but Unity is 64-bit, so D3DOverrider won't work with it.

Going4Quests
11-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I cannot test this yet myself as Unity get's released in Belgium thursday, but I also have a GTX 970 (but with i7 processor). If I experience any perfomance issues i'm going to use the setitngs you described here.

As a general question, did you update the Nvidia GeForce Driver update from today? Nvidia released a GameReady driver to optimise our GTX gpus for Unity, so perfomance may be improved if you install the latest Nvidia driver released today. :)

Fatal-Feit
11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
As a general question, did you update the Nvidia GeForce Driver update from today? Nvidia released a GameReady driver to optimise our GTX gpus for Unity, so perfomance may be improved if you install the latest Nvidia driver released today. :)

Yep, already installed.

Also,with an 8350 paired with the 970, I'm getting the same performance as he is. --> 40 min, 80 max, and 50-60 avg. Before then, just disabling PCSS and running with FXAA gave me an average of 40-45 fps.

pleb87
11-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Nice to see some more honest performance reports from people running the correct kit. Seeing a lot of people upset over some issues but most (although not all) are using systems below the minimum requirements. I've got an i7 4790k and a GTX 980 with 16GB RAM so I'll be looking to get a reasonable performance, but at the end of the day I play AC games for the story and game play, the graphics are just a nice bonus.

rcjonessnp175
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Won't work with sli will it? Since sli needs it to,be full screen and not windowed?

FecalMatter905
11-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Nice to see some more honest performance reports from people running the correct kit. Seeing a lot of people upset over some issues but most (although not all) are using systems below the minimum requirements. I've got an i7 4790k and a GTX 980 with 16GB RAM so I'll be looking to get a reasonable performance, but at the end of the day I play AC games for the story and game play, the graphics are just a nice bonus.

According to TotalBiscuit, he's barely getting 60 FPS with 2 GTX 980's in SLI.

pleb87
11-11-2014, 06:39 PM
According to TotalBiscuit, he's barely getting 60 FPS with 2 GTX 980's in SLI.

I'm not bothered about getting 60 FPS though just interested in the game and the story. 40 FPS will be find for me just glad it works for those with similar setups.

Altair1789
11-11-2014, 06:44 PM
I have an AMD FX 4300 and a GTX 750 Ti, I played while installing and I got some really strange results. I would either be at 50 fps or 5 fps on 720p, high textures, low environment, FXAA, ambient occlusion off, and low shadows. I don't know if this is because I'm installing the game while playing, but I think it is. I've seen people play with better settings and worse rigs. I think the CPU is my problem here, but I hope to get 766p ssao, high textures, low environment, FXAA, and low shadows. Is that reasonable? It seems like it to me due to some of the benchmark videos I've seen. Regardless, low settings or not, lag spikes or not, this game looks amazing, and it's really fun. I'd be fine with playing as I do now forever, as long as my CPU doesn't melt. I would love to be able to use better settings and see the spikes stop when I finish installing.

Going4Quests
11-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Tbh requiring to be 60 fps at ultra settings all the time is a bit freakish, for me it's absolutely fine to be at 40 fps in the crowded areas.

jantherocker
11-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Tbh requiring to be 60 fps at ultra settings all the time is a bit freakish, for me it's absolutely fine to be at 40 fps in the crowded areas.

This, the outrage here and on Neogaf is crazy... yes people get laggy peformance... but most of those who complain(like 85-90%) have PCs under or just meeting minimum Requirements..
most of them insist on playing in 1080p.. leave Vsync and MSAA on and wonder why they get low fps...

Basic Rule:
If you have a PC under or just above minimum requierements... if you want solid fps at medium settings: Lower your damn resolution!!!

The Game clearly "runs" on lesser machines then the requierements stated so its clear they where for 1080p
so easy enough conclusion: if you dont have a great PC turn down your resolution its the BIGGEST performance killer there is.
going from 1080p to 900p equals at least 30% more fps if your GPU is good enough to gain from the lower resolution,wich is almost always the case!

I dont know what people are expecting playing with 3-6 years old PCs... we have a generation(console) change...
You can get by with a 3 yo PC.. but only if it was absolute High End 3 years ago... a mid end PC from anything more than 1.5 years isnt gonna cut it anymore

topeira1980
11-11-2014, 07:49 PM
can anyone guess what i kind of FPS i will get with my 8gb ram, 4770 at 3.4ghz and R9 280 at 1680X1050 with shadows on low, environment on high or medium, FXAA, SSAO, high textures?
i just barely scratch the minimum but i dont need fancy shticks (even though i love the HBAO+ in watch dogs!) and play at the res of 1680X1050...
i wonder if i will get over 30fps cuz that's all i need, really.

rcjonessnp175
11-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I have 980 evga supwrclock sli, and i7 4770k at 4.6ghz. Game runs ok but it's a sloppy mess, to many stutters. Theirs absolutely no way sli 980 can keep this game at 60fps locked out at max settings. I've even tried Dsr at 4k and 1440 p. Ran playable at 1440 p but was under 30 frames and uber stuttering at 4k. Hope the patch comes quick haven't seen the release day patch which was suppose to help fix sli problems and such.

Dave_R3d
11-11-2014, 08:17 PM
on a 4820K at 4.7GHz and GTX 970 SLI I am getting 60-80fps at 1080P with shadows on high instead of PCSS and 2xMSAA all other settings maxed.

TXAA looks like ****, no surprise there though, it just blurs everything.