PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm having a blast!

KagenoTatsumaki
11-11-2014, 03:38 PM
After seeing A *bleep* TON of negative posts, I've decided to post some of my thoughts on the game.

First, my take on some of the "Unacceptable problems"

1: Frame rate.
Yeah, it dips a bit when you're in a big crowd, but all AC games do. Especially when guards were chasing you. Hell when the guards were on you in AC:3 it slowed down more then Unity does in a huge crowd. And it's not even choppy really, just a little lagging, it probably doesn't drop below 25fps (Me guessing of course).

2: Pop in.
Of course there's pop in, every open world game has it, but it's not game breaking. It's barely noticeable unless you're actively looking for it. Plus how is minor pop in game breaking? I remember a little game called Mass Effect that after literally EVERY cut-scene loaded up nothing but mud for a few seconds while every texture popped in. But Mass Effect is one of the most popular games ever. So I don't see the big deal with Unity's minor pop in.

3: Graphics.
Unity is blurry compared to AC4. This is true. But at least Ubisoft mask's well with the film grain and makes up for it in other departments. The lighting is possibly the best I've ever seen in a video game and the facial animations rival LA Noire.

Now for my thoughts on the game so far (only just completed the first assassination).

This game is AWESOME. I love the look of the film grain and the animations are some of the best I've ever seen.

The controls are perfect, Ubi has managed to fix every problem from past AC games like jumping off of things on accident which happened constantly in AC:1-AC:R and running up a wall when you didn't mean to which happened too me a lot in AC:3-4.

The combat is great, taking up to 3 level 1 enemies is easy and the gracefulness of the animations looks amazing, and fighting any more than 2 higher level enemies is almost impossible (for me anyways) and guns are awesome too. As soon as I hear a gun shot I instantly freak out in a good way because I know one shot will almost kill me and that adds a sense of danger.

Arno is a great character. He's likable, funny, and seems like an actual fun dude to hang out with. He's also very admirable in the fact that he joins the assassins because he feels guilty about the death of his and Elise's fathers and wants to make up for his mistakes. Whoever wrote that Arno is just another Aiden Pearce must have been on some kind of drugs lol.

And last but not least, Paris. I can't tell you how awesome Paris itself is. The scale of everything is so huge and gives a sense of vertigo (especially Notre Dame) the streets are so packed with people at all times it's insane. The other factions like jerks who attack you for no reason. The guards who don't mess with you unless you do something wrong. The random thieves that you can tackle. The guillotines everywhere. Huge crowds of protesters. Random fights breaking out. It's seriously the most real and alive feeling city I've ever experienced in a video game. Better than Los Santos. Better than the Capital/Mohave Wasteland. Better than Cyrodill and Skyrim. It's incredible.

And that about sums it up. I'm very tired now and am going to go to sleep so I can wake up and play more Unity tonight. Peace out!

SenseHomunculus
11-11-2014, 03:42 PM
I agree 100% on most of your points. It's so much more fun NOT accidently falling to your death every 10 minutes. The parkour, especially the descent mechanics, are amazing. Sure, sometimes kinda monkey-like but I can live with that. Hell, it's a game! The new left trigger to enter windows is a small but much-needed feature!

My favorite aspect by far is the seamless integration of indoor and outdoor areas. Very cool.

cawatrooper9
11-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I am so excited to finish off my classes so I can start playing today!