PDA

View Full Version : Game is unlocking randomly. Can we just have the game unlocked for everyone already?

Homeschooled316
11-11-2014, 06:18 AM
From threads here and steam threads, we see the game unlocking differently for random groups for no apparent reason.

- People with the retail copy are already playing the game now, both on PC and consoles

- People who got a key from GMG have access to the game directly through uPlay right now

- People who ordered on Steam have been able to preload for a day and will supposedly get the game at 12:00 PST

- People who have a regular preorder on uPlay, predictably, get the shortest end of the stick, being able to neither preload nor unlock the game right now

This is all weird and hectic for no reason. Just unlock the game please. Literally ANY possible damage has already been done anyway.

kawasara
11-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Just show how little they care about their direct customer via Uplay.

Imagine all the customer that live in montreal and they get their game a 3 am ( when the Ubisoft is pretty much in montreal)

M1sterWB
11-11-2014, 06:27 AM
How ****ty.

Companies now let their fans know via twitter or whatever, when exactly the game will be released.

Literally every single day Ubisoft gets worse. Your main problem is your customer relations. Please hire someone. Hire me. I'm not available, but I can put in an hour or two a week a do so much better than what you're currently doing. You're just ****s to your consumers. \

Is it that big of a deal that it didn't release at midnight? Not exactly, I have better things to do. But, like I said, you're just being ****s to your consumers.

Darth_Donald
11-11-2014, 06:31 AM
I got the game with the Nvidia promotion. It's not even showing up in my library yet. I'm staying awake until 3 to start the download and then I'm going to sleep, that is, if the game appears in my library.

WabeWalker
11-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I got the game with the Nvidia promotion. It's not even showing up in my library yet. I'm staying awake until 3 to start the download and then I'm going to sleep, that is, if the game appears in my library.

I'm in the exact same boat. Nvidia promotion, but no game in my Library.

That said, if all goes well at midnight, I have no complaints whatsoever. I honestly wasn't expecting to get this game for free. I was given the code an entire month after I bought my two GTX 980s. Not a whole lot to complain about on my end. I really was going to pay for this. Super nice to get it free like that.

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Seems kind of stupid that steam allows you to preload and Uplay doesn't. Doesn't even seem to be a way to use my purchase via steam to download as I can't find a place that gives me the key for my copy of ACU to input into steam. Cmon Uplay... this is a rookie mistake.

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Seems kind of stupid that steam allows you to preload and Uplay doesn't. Doesn't even seem to be a way to use my purchase via steam to download as I can't find a place that gives me the key for my copy of ACU to input into steam. Cmon Uplay... this is a rookie mistake.

Actually, I would say you're the rookie here. I'm not attacking you either.

- Whenever you buy an Ubi game on Steam, you NEVER get the uPlay key until you're first able to launch it. Its been like this since uPlay has been a thing. The game launches at 12am PST on Steam, you'll get the key then.
- uPlay has never offered pre-loads before. This game is actually the first game that has ever been pre-loadable, although its only for the regions that dont get the game til the 13th/14th. The first game that will have a worldwide pre-load on uPlay is Far Cry 4 next week.

I dont disagree with you, but its nothing new for those of us who have used uPlay/pre-ordered from them, etc. In fairness to them, they are getting better, slowly, but they are getting better.

And to the OP, the game is also not 'unlocking randomly'. There are distinct purchases that are able to play it right now. Not the definition of random.

They're also not going to unlock it sooner. The Ubi offices are closed. We're stuck waiting til 12 PST.

viperdemonz21
11-11-2014, 06:50 AM
game is there just not in installed games its in all games

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 06:54 AM
game is there just not in installed games its in all games

Its in my library, but it just says "pre-ordered". Its not downloadable yet though.

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Actually, I would say you're the rookie here. I'm not attacking you either.

- Whenever you buy an Ubi game on Steam, you NEVER get the uPlay key until you're first able to launch it. Its been like this since uPlay has been a thing. The game launches at 12am PST on Steam, you'll get the key then.
- uPlay has never offered pre-loads before. This game is actually the first game that has ever been pre-loadable, although its only for the regions that dont get the game til the 13th/14th. The first game that will have a worldwide pre-load on uPlay is Far Cry 4 next week.

I dont disagree with you, but its nothing new for those of us who have used uPlay/pre-ordered from them, etc. In fairness to them, they are getting better, slowly, but they are getting better.

And to the OP, the game is also not 'unlocking randomly'. There are distinct purchases that are able to play it right now. Not the definition of random.

They're also not going to unlock it sooner. The Ubi offices are closed. We're stuck waiting til 12 PST.

Having purchased all of the previous AC games via Steam, perhaps I am a "rookie," however expecting the ability to pre-load my game is far from a rookie expectation, especially when Steam users already have the game installed on their machines.

While I understand that complaining here will not make the game unlocked sooner, if I have a gripe about a product that I've paid for, especially one such as this, it's actually rather important that I voice it in a place that they will see it. Even if that means that they won't see it until tomorrow morning.

By the way, while it doesn't actually bother me all that much, calling someone a rookie and then saying you're not attacking them is a bit like swearing at someone and then saying "no offense."

Tim_Fletch
11-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Its in my library, but it just says "pre-ordered". Its not downloadable yet though.

Same here. Got it via the nvidia offer.

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Having purchased all of the previous AC games via Steam, perhaps I am a "rookie," however expecting the ability to pre-load my game is far from a rookie expectation, especially when Steam users already have the game installed on their machines.

While I understand that complaining here will not make the game unlocked sooner, if I have a gripe about a product that I've paid for, especially one such as this, it's actually rather important that I voice it in a place that they will see it. Even if that means that they won't see it until tomorrow morning.

By the way, while it doesn't actually bother me all that much, calling someone a rookie and then saying you're not attacking them is a bit like swearing at someone and then saying "no offense."

Um, its an unrealistic expectation when this isn't Steam. The services aren't interchangable. This is your first experience with uPlay coming from Steam. IMO, this is the definition of a rookie. They don't do things the same, obviously. Preloading has never been available for uPlay games before. You're also not going to be able to redeem the uPlay key on Steam to play via Steam. A uPlay only game is only good for that service. The one thing you can do is add the game via the "Add a non-Steam Game" function via the Games menu on the Steam client so you can use Steam functions with the overlay. If you're worried about being able to play with your Steam friends and that sort of thing, they will need uPlay to play this game as well so that can still be done.

And no, I wasn't attacking you. I said "I'm not attacking you" because I didn't want you to take it personally. I don't disagree with your opinion nor am I trying to prevent you from stating your opinion, but its basically moot. This is the last game on this service that will have this problem as they're going to a worldwide pre-load for their next release. Nothing is going to change for this one.

Darth_Donald
11-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Mine's nowhere to be seen. I even have an email confirming my preorder on the same uplay account from almost a week ago, so I know I bought it. I might need support to look into this as everyone else I've seen has it now.

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Mine's nowhere to be seen. I even have an email confirming my preorder on the same uplay account from almost a week ago, so I know I bought it. I might need support to look into this as everyone else I've seen has it now.

I've been in your shoes before. Did you get it via the Nvidia promo?

If you did, this is a common occurrence with those, why it happens to only some is unclear. What I'd suggest is wait until the game is released (3am EST/12am PST blah blah), once its released, keep an eye on your email and/or your order history (its available via shop.ubi.com). I can tell you right now, it almost certainly will not show up RIGHT at the time, but usually within about 30 minutes of the release time you'll get an email or your order history will be updated with a key you redeem on uPlay. It could also show up in your library at that time. Basically, just wait until release before thinking you may have a problem. If its not there within a fair amount of time, then you'll prob want to contact support, but each time Ive dealt with the "not in library" issue, it sorts itself out just after release.

You can even check your order history now. It probably will say "Submitted". When the game is released and the game is in your library and/or the key is there, it will have changed to "Completed".

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 07:38 AM
The one thing you can do is add the game via the "Add a non-Steam Game" function via the Games menu on the Steam client so you can use Steam functions with the overlay.

If you noticed, in my original post I addressed this exact thing. No, maybe Uplay does not offer pre-loads, but Steam offers the function that you are describing, which requires your game Key. Hence why I am annoyed that Uplay has not even provided me with my Key to use the above function. As it stands, download times will probably be pretty bad at 3:00(My time) when everyone starts to download from Uplay at the same time, when instead, many of us could be taking advantage of the much beefier download servers offered by Steam.

My concerns have nothing to do with my Steam friend's list, and everything to do with previous experience with game releases. If you make a significant(this may be a stretch as I guess I'm still a "rookie") portion of your player-base wait until X-appointed time to release, rather than let everyone take advantage of a pre-load function (that already exists if you give the users their game key!) you end up with congestion on the download servers that prevents people from playing the game, when they've already stayed up to play.

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 07:42 AM
If you noticed, in my original post I addressed this exact thing. No, maybe Uplay does not offer pre-loads, but Steam offers the function that you are describing, which requires your game Key. Hence why I am annoyed that Uplay has not even provided me with my Key to use the above function. As it stands, download times will probably be pretty bad at 3:00(My time) when everyone starts to download from Uplay at the same time, when instead, many of us could be taking advantage of the much beefier download servers offered by Steam.

My concerns have nothing to do with my Steam friend's list, and everything to do with previous experience with game releases. If you make a significant(this may be a stretch as I guess I'm still a "rookie") portion of your player-base wait until X-appointed time to release, rather than let everyone take advantage of a pre-load function (that already exists if you give the users their game key!) you end up with congestion on the download servers that prevents people from playing the game, when they've already stayed up to play.

I don't disagree with your concerns. I'm in the same boat, but the comparison to Steam is moot. I complained in another thread how players who purchased the uPlay version on GMG have already gotten their key and are downloading/playing on uPlay, but those of us who purchased directly from the developer have to wait. Its beyond silly and a reason why uPlay is derided by many...but they're fixing it with future games. This is the last game this will be a problem.

Also, Salvador Sucks.

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
I don't disagree with your concerns. I'm in the same boat, but the comparison to Steam is moot. I complained in another thread how players who purchased the uPlay version on GMG have already gotten their key and are downloading/playing on uPlay, but those of us who purchased directly from the developer have to wait. Its beyond silly and a reason why uPlay is derided by many...but they're fixing it with future games. This is the last game this will be a problem.

Also, Salvador Sucks.

I don't understand how the comparison to Steam is moot, when Steam sells the exact same game, and requires only a game key to use the pre-load function (to my understanding at least).

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't understand how the comparison to Steam is moot, when Steam sells the exact same game, and requires only a game key to use the pre-load function (to my understanding at least).

It's moot because this is the last game where there will be a problem like this with uPlay. The discussion is just going to go around in circles. Also, you can't buy a Steam key for this game anywhere. They don't exist. The only way you can get a Steam version of this game is to buy it directly from them. All keys sold by other retailers (Amazon, GMG, etc) are uPlay keys.

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 08:14 AM
It's moot because this is the last game where there will be a problem like this with uPlay. The discussion is just going to go around in circles. Also, you can't buy a Steam key for this game anywhere. They don't exist. The only way you can get a Steam version of this game is to buy it directly from them. All keys sold by other retailers (Amazon, GMG, etc) are uPlay keys.

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong on this, but Steam accepts CD keys from a number of other providers that act as proof of purchase for a game, thus giving you access to the digital version and download servers offered by Steam. My understanding of it is that it doesn't matter if it is a "Uplay" Key or a "Steam" Key as from what I understand these two things should be the same thing. Like when you buy a copy of a game somewhere else and use the CD Key that you are provided with in the box to add it to your Steam account regardless of whether you bought them on Steam or not. All that Steam does is buy a set number of Game keys from each of the game providers that they play middle-man for.

Am I wrong?

Bahjabroni
11-11-2014, 08:19 AM
It's entirely possible that I'm wrong on this, but Steam accepts CD keys from a number of other providers that act as proof of purchase for a game, thus giving you access to the digital version and download servers offered by Steam. My understanding of it is that it doesn't matter if it is a "Uplay" Key or a "Steam" Key as from what I understand these two things should be the same thing. Like when you buy a copy of a game somewhere else and use the CD Key that you are provided with in the box to add it to your Steam account regardless of whether you bought them on Steam or not. All that Steam does is buy a set number of Game keys from each of the game providers that they play middle-man for.

Am I wrong?

I have Watch Dogs on uPlay and just tried to redeem my Watch Dogs key on Steam. It did not work.

You're right in some respects. I know that Origin will accept Steam keys for games that are on their service, but I've not tried it the other way (Origin key into Steam).

ReidBoucher
11-11-2014, 08:26 AM
I have Watch Dogs on uPlay and just tried to redeem my Watch Dogs key on Steam. It did not work.

You're right in some respects. I know that Origin will accept Steam keys for games that are on their service, but I've not tried it the other way (Origin key into Steam).

*Shrug* Maybe Steam is pickier than I thought. Just wishful thinking on my part then I guess.