PDA

View Full Version : The Non Spoiler Unity and Rogue Review Thread

Nuartey
11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Because Ubisoft hates us, we Brits won't be getting Unity until Friday so I've created this thread for US fans to share their first thoughts on the game, what you like and dislike thus far. I'd be interested to hear everybody's play style too - since Unity seems like a high customisation game - and the advantages and disadvantages of this.

Be as detailed but keep it spoiler free! Cheers.

ETA: please give your thoughts on Rogue as well.

SlyTrooper
11-10-2014, 05:07 PM
It's got nothing to do with Ubi. Games just happen to release on Fridays in the UK & Tuesdays in the US. There's a long history around it, so I can't be bothered to explain.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Because Ubisoft hates us, we Brits won't be getting Unity until Friday so I've created this thread for US fans to share their first thoughts on the game, what you like and dislike thus far. I'd be interested to hear everybody's play style too - since Unity seems like a high customisation game - and the advantages and disadvantages of this.

Be as detailed but keep it spoiler free! Cheers.

Gameplay and graphics wise its quite breathtaking. It's incredibly beautiful as a city, Paris and Versailles. The mission structure is very repititive after a while.

As for the story...meh!

VitoAuditore
11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I am personally going to upgrade stealth and navigation as much as I can, staying out of health and combat upgrades as much as I can-to keep some challenge in the game. the combat itself looks nice, but finishers are meh. you can still finish an enemy, but there also seem times that you just kill em with a normal hit(not doing an execution style kill). which is a shame. i'm really looking forward to the new freerunning tho, navigating down-not needing haystacks etc. and the movement overall just seems alot more fluid.

Nuartey
11-10-2014, 06:40 PM
It's got nothing to do with Ubi. Games just happen to release on Fridays in the UK & Tuesdays in the US. There's a long history around it, so I can't be bothered to explain.

I was just kidding. I know all developers do this, not just Ubisoft ;)

Nuartey
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I am personally going to upgrade stealth and navigation as much as I can, staying out of health and combat upgrades as much as I can-to keep some challenge in the game. the combat itself looks nice, but finishers are meh. you can still finish an enemy, but there also seem times that you just kill em with a normal hit(not doing an execution style kill). which is a shame. i'm really looking forward to the new freerunning tho, navigating down-not needing haystacks etc. and the movement overall just seems alot more fluid.

Agree, navigation looks awesome. As for staying away from combat upgrades I personally won't do that. I'm stealth player too but it seems to me, despite Ubisoft promoting this as the stealthiest game yet, there are going to be missions where combat is a must... That's all I can say without spoiling anything because I watched a mission online (it was awesome).

Gameplay and graphics wise its quite breathtaking. It's incredibly beautiful as a city, Paris and Versailles. The mission structure is very repititive after a while.

As for the story...meh!

That's a shame. I was particular interested in Ubi tackling a love story.
I noticed 'story' rated lowest on gamescabin which scared me. :( Overall what's your score?

MakimotoJin
11-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Can I talk about Rogue here,or in another thread?

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Agree, navigation looks awesome. As for staying away from combat upgrades I personally won't do that. I'm stealth player too but it seems to me, despite Ubisoft promoting this as the stealthiest game yet, there are going to be missions where combat is a must... That's all I can say without spoiling anything because I watched a mission online (it was awesome).

That's a shame. I was particular interested in Ubi tackling a love story.
I noticed 'story' rated lowest on gamescabin which scared me. :( Overall what's your score?

That part is kind of affecting, Elise is a cool character. In terms of villains, they all suck except for one or two minor ones, the main one is especially boring. Aside from Mirabeau, Bellec and Napoleon, the supporting cast is terrible.

The real problem is that Arno is a real bore of a character, though he's superficially likable. Essentially, he's French Bruce Wayne and the game puts forth the Dark Knight Rises Theory of the French Revolution. Picture Altair without Cool, Ezio without Style, Connor without Strength and Edward without his endearing capacity for self-destruction, and you get Arno.

So I'd give it a 4/10.

Nuartey
11-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Can I talk about Rogue here,or in another thread?

Yes, do give your thoughts on Rogue too! :)

topeira1980
11-10-2014, 10:19 PM

As for the story...meh!

as far as i've seen on YT the mission structure is mostly sandbox, no? there is an area and a goal somewhere in it (steal, kill, speak etc) and you make the structure. no?

IMO it's THE BEST structure there is because it allows the biggest amount of replay value and self expression. if the core mechanics of the game are fun (stealth, combat, navigation) than these missions should be always fun.

im a lot like you. im not gonna upgrade my health at all (if i can avoid it) and see if i can handle myself with only medium amount of armor to keep the game hard. however it seems like the game's difficulty settings in the free roam world is static according to districts so certain areas will forever be easy and not challenging while others should be more... fun. combat against enemies lvl 3 and above seems really fun. they can almost do anything arno can do which gives a better depth to combat compared to any old AC games in the past 5 years. it's a shame these enemies seem to be a lot more rare than the idiotic level 1 and 2 enemies....

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2014, 03:42 AM
as far as i've seen on YT the mission structure is mostly sandbox, no? there is an area and a goal somewhere in it (steal, kill, speak etc) and you make the structure. no?

IMO it's THE BEST structure there is because it allows the biggest amount of replay value and self expression. if the core mechanics of the game are fun (stealth, combat, navigation) than these missions should be always fun.

In theory yes, in practise it amounts to repititious gameplay if its not done with thought. A game like DISHONORED, whose mission structure probably inspired Unity, also creates "Blackbox missions" and endless ways and means by which you can complete the mission depending on your gaming style, because the mission design is done with a lot of thought, craft and attention to detail. In AC1, which also inspired Amancio, the Assassination missions had changes and shifts which made each mission unique. The key thing is the mission design had style and it was done with a real eye for environment and structure.

The Notre Dame mission is done well for instance, with Sivert that was shown in the demos. None of the other missions. Non-Linear gameplay is no excuse to sacrifice style. The point of story missions is to make you do things in a way that feels different from the side missions, if they proceed the same way, well there's that meme about doing the same things over and over and expecting it to be different.

GH0STSoldier00
11-11-2014, 04:07 AM
Damn, I have to wait until the end of the month for a good bundle deal I was looking at. Really upset and jealous that everybody else is getting the game and not me. Oh well...

Nuartey
11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
So it's day 1 of release and Unity is getting slammed by reviewers. Needless to say I'm absolutely devastated. :(

MakimotoJin
11-12-2014, 02:35 AM
I played Rogue since the second it launched.I beat it in the same day,today.I might give it a review,but it'll be VERY long,so here's the short one:8/10

GreatBeyonder
11-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Only played Rogue, which is AWESOME. If you played ACIII and BF, you know what you're getting, but they added on so many new game mechanics without the player feel like a novice again. The main story is far superior to Unity's and feels like a proper exploration of this universe. The graphics are about BF-level, which really shouldn't matter. I have had no issue with bugs, and I find myself exploring the world as much as I did in past games. The MD storyline is also pretty interesting, and certainly enlightening.

I give it a 8/10.