PDA

View Full Version : What ruined this franchise! (SPOILERS)

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Ok I just learned that the modern day is basically non existent in Unity. Well ubisoft I'm sorry but you have just stabbed me in the back and I guess many other fans. You gave us something that we loved and was a major point in the franchise and let us love it and take it away from us, to appeal to the masses.

Now Patrice Desiletts worked on AC1 and AC2 and he wanted the franchise to go to AC3 and make it a trilogy. I now imagine that it would have been great, it would have been like The Dark Knight of the gaming world. He wanted to do this and was told they were going to make it an annual franchise and he didn't like that so he left.

He was right to leave he knew it would turn into what it has today. A confused storyline that caused them cancel major points of the game, game play that becomes extremely reminiscent of the last with no change and a rushed game with lots of bugs.

I have to say that this is the best annual franchise, but that doesn't mean a lot really. This franchise has my favorite game of all time (AC2) bit I will never expect something like that again. I know they will never make something that special ever again, they lost the person who made it for money.

Basically ubisoft could have created the greatest gaming trilogy of all time and have something major on their hands, however they thought of money and chose it over quality.

I am not hating, I am stating fact. If they can improve it in anyway it would be great but I don't think they will see this. I have bought the collectors edition of each game so far from pre order. I think I will now wait for the second hand versiom of the game to pass my time instead if really enjoying and seeing something as more than just a game. I will also unsubscribe from their YouTube channel, to avoid their over the top marketing.

So I will play rogue and unity since I have already paid for them. But I will not follow the next game unless they seriously fix themselves up and realise what they want and see what their FANS want, not everybody other than their fans.

PedroAntonio2
11-09-2014, 09:10 PM
I couldn't agree more...they butchered Assassin's Creed. The games are great and all...but the Juno's arc is ridiculous and they want to start ''slow'' the modern days in this new AC arch. The series should have ended in an ACIII produced by Patrice Désilets.ACII released in 2009 and ACIII being released at 2012, with no games between these two release, no anual releases. And the casual gamers are ruining it even more...they are the ones that caused modern days to be like this with a floating tablet and now we have only cutscenes in present day, because '' Desmond is boring, I hate desmond.I want Godzio. ''

After watching some of AC Unity footage and reading some of the reviews, I'm starting to think about dropping the franchise...forget it exists and play another game. I will only play another AC Game when they return witth a new modern-day protagonist with a solid arc.

GreatBeyonder
11-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Don't think you really had to mark this thread for spoilers, but anywho...

I kind of agree. I find it incredibly confusing playing all these characters who are 'you', but 'a different you'.

There's 'you' in the ACB and ACR multiplayer, who turns out to be Otso Berg.

There's you in BF, who works at Abstergo Enternainment, who knows nothing about anything.

There's you in Rogue, who also works at Abstergo Entertainment, but is in no way related to the other 'you' that works at Abstergo Entertainment.

There's you in Unity, who is in no way related to any of the above.

It's kind of a pain to keep track of all these characters, without some kind of clear overarching plot to follow.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
I couldn't agree more...they butchered Assassin's Creed. The games are great and all...but the Juno's arc is ridiculous and they want to start ''slow'' the modern days in this new AC arch. The series should have ended in an ACIII produced by Patrice Désilets.ACII released in 2009 and ACIII being released at 2012, with no games between these two release, no anual releases. And the casual gamers are ruining it even more...they are the ones that caused modern days to be like this with a floating tablet and now we have only cutscenes in present day, because '' Desmond is boring, I hate desmond.I want Godzio. ''

After watching some of AC Unity footage and reading some of the reviews, I'm starting to think about dropping the franchise...forget it exists and play another game. I will only play another AC Game when they return witth a new modern-day protagonist with a solid arc.

I agree. However I think brotherhood and revelations should have been made. That was a great, it is a great middle and end for a character that I love. But then AC3 should have been the last one with a good ending. And better made with more time.

Three main games. One main writer. One main director. One composer.

It even looks good in writing lol.

I love AC for what they created and always will but they are making me hate something I love which is a mean thing to do to a person who has spent so much money and put in so much time for them.

PedroAntonio2
11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Don't think you really had to mark this thread for spoilers, but anywho...

I kind of agree. I find it incredibly confusing playing all these characters who are 'you', but 'a different you'.

There's 'you' in the ACB and ACR multiplayer, who turns out to be Otso Berg.

There's you in BF, who works at Abstergo Enternainment, who knows nothing about anything.

There's you in Rogue, who also works at Abstergo Entertainment, but is in no way related to the other 'you' that works at Abstergo Entertainment.

There's you in Unity, who is in no way related to any of the above.

It's kind of a pain to keep track of all these characters, without some kind of clear overarching plot to follow.

It's ridiculous...how many ''me'' are they going to create ?

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:21 PM
It's ridiculous...how many ''me'' are they going to create ?

Yes. People mainly said before that they don't like modern day because it was confusing... This is so much more confusing.

One of greatest films of all time is confusing in a good way because it is actually a terrific story (inception). Modern day was like that but now it's just a confuses storyline that is confusing for the wrong reason and makes no sense whatsoever.

PedroAntonio2
11-09-2014, 09:23 PM
I agree. However I think brotherhood and revelations should have been made. That was a great, it is a great middle and end for a character that I love. But then AC3 should have been the last one with a good ending. And better made with more time.

Three main games. One main writer. One main director. One composer.

It even looks good in writing lol.

I love AC for what they created and always will but they are making me hate something I love which is a mean thing to do to a person who has spent so much money and put in so much time for them.

If the game had only one creative director like Kojima with Metal Gear Solid, the franchise would be way better. Even better if Corey May wrote all the games.

AC Brotherhood was supposed to be part of ACII, but they decided to split the game in two ( AC2 and ACB ) and Revelations was supposed to be a 3DS game. But imagine, ACII + ACB released in 2009 and ACIII in 2012. Maybe they could have mix ACII, Brotherhood and Revelations in one game only...but it would be a very long game, but if you consider Desmond's plot we could have seen Desmond finding out about his role to save the world ( AC2 ending ), kill Lucy ( ACB ending ) and etering a coma and encoutering Clay inside the Animus ( ACR ) in one game. And ACIII would be the end of his plot, but without that terrible ending we got in the original, perphaps a final battle against Abstergo and Daniel Cross being the main villain.

Yes. People mainly said before that they don't like modern day because it was confusing... This is so much more confusing.

One of greatest films of all time is confusing in a good way because it is actually a terrific story (inception). Modern day was like that but now it's just a confuses storyline that is confusing for the wrong reason and makes no sense whatsoever.

They should reboot the franchise, seriously...go back to ACI and erase the modern-day arc completely or turn it into the story we always wanted to see, turning the franchise into a trilogy and giving it a perfect and solid ending.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:28 PM
If the game had only one creative director like Kojima with Metal Gear Solid, the franchise would be way better. Even better if Corey May wrote all the games.

AC Brotherhood was supposed to be part of ACII, but they decided to split the game in two ( AC2 and ACB ) and Revelations was supposed to be a 3DS game. But imagine, ACII + ACB released in 2009 and ACIII in 2012. Maybe they could have mix ACII, Brotherhood and Revelations in one game only...but it would be a very long game, but if you consider Desmond's plot we could have seen Desmond finding out about his role to save the world ( AC2 ending ), kill Lucy ( ACB ending ) and etering a coma and encoutering Clay inside the Animus ( ACR ) in one game. And ACIII would be the end of his plot, but without that terrible ending we got in the original, perphaps a final battle against Abstergo and Daniel Cross being the main villain.

Yes I think AC1 should have stayed how it is. AC2 should have sated how it is ACB and ACR should have been one game, where Desmond kills Warren. AC3 should have been made with Desmond killing Daniel cross at the end...

Ahhhh what could have been would have been amazing.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Annualization is preventing writers to have ENOUGH time to come up with new ideas after AC III basically ended the modern arc.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
They should reboot the franchise, seriously...go back to ACI and erase the modern-day arc completely or turn it into the story we always wanted to see, turning the franchise into a trilogy and giving it a perfect and solid ending.

YEEEESSS that would be amazing however ubisoft would rather have a massive pile of cash.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Annualization is preventing writers to have ENOUGH time to come up with new ideas after AC III basically ended the modern arc.

Yes... true. It should have been:

One writer. One director. One composer. 3 essential things for the 3 games.

GunnerGalactico
11-09-2014, 09:33 PM

^ Wow. I'm actually agreeing with almost everything you said today.

bigbssbalrog
11-09-2014, 09:57 PM
I think your overreacting. AC Rogue is being called the best assassins creed story in the franchise by alot of people on reddit and here, so...

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 09:58 PM
I am not over reacting. What's better having a perfect game every time. Or having 1 out of god knows how many games to be good.

Layytez
11-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Rogues story was poor and makes no sense.

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Unity's story was predictable and did nothing.

pineal_gland
11-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I think your overreacting. AC Rogue is being called the best assassins creed story in the franchise by alot of people on reddit and here, so...

the story feels very rushed and makes no sense.
Shay was so traumatised by killing all those innocent people because of an accident that he joined the templars, because they never kill innocent people (come on...)

Hood2theBurbs
11-09-2014, 11:25 PM
What ruined the modern day storyline for me was the ridiculous 2012 world ending threat. It pushed Desmond's story in the absolute wrong direction. AC3 instead should have been about preventing the Templar sattellite launch. Desmond should have faced of with Cross and assassinated Vidic and ended Desmond's story that way. He would go off to become an important member of Assassin's and in later games they could throw in a hint or two about what he's been up to. Then started with a new modern day protagonist with important assassin ancestors. Thoughts?

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 11:52 PM
You have a point in your reasoning, King.

I always did wonder how things would've happened if it had stayed the format of a Trilogy?

That means BF and Edward wouldn't have existed.

Same for Adewale, Aveline, Shay, Arno, Nikolai, and Elise.

With AC3, there may have been Connor & Haytham but I'm still unsure about that as well.

At the most, Edward would've just been a mention.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 11:58 PM
What ruined the modern day storyline for me was the ridiculous 2012 world ending threat. It pushed Desmond's story in the absolute wrong direction. AC3 instead should have been about preventing the Templar sattellite launch. Desmond should have faced of with Cross and assassinated Vidic and ended Desmond's story that way. He would go off to become an important member of Assassin's and in later games they could throw in a hint or two about what he's been up to. Then started with a new modern day protagonist with important assassin ancestors. Thoughts?

I agree!!!!!!!!

Hadawe
11-10-2014, 12:09 AM
i bet half of you were crying that desmond sucked . he dies and now you cry that you want him. modern day story was boring. ohh mah gawd its 2012 world is going to end cause ancient aliens !. atleast in acIII it wanst that anoying cause you actually did stuff as desmond. we all know that you guys can never be satisfied. nobody is forcing you to buy this game so why are you guys crying :confused:

RA503
11-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Hey guys don't give up, a lot of modern day mysteries can be covered in the database :

The helix missions actually unlock intel for the modern day plot,also, germain as some sort of connection with demolay and aita that is never covered in the main plot,the supreme being have to be some connection to juno's plot.and the true goal of the project phoenix

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 01:25 AM
i bet half of you were crying that desmond sucked . he dies and now you cry that you want him. modern day story was boring. ohh mah gawd its 2012 world is going to end cause ancient aliens !. atleast in acIII it wanst that anoying cause you actually did stuff as desmond. we all know that you guys can never be satisfied. nobody is forcing you to buy this game so why are you guys crying :confused:

Okay, you are officially junior member of the week. ;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Megas_Doux
11-10-2014, 01:30 AM

Fans in a nutshell!!!!!!

I have seen some complaining that combat in ACU is "too hard" ahd hating Ubi in the process. Whereas a year ago, it was the exact opposite.

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 02:26 AM
What ruined this franchise? When the developers decided 3rd person over 1st person in Modern Day.

Layytez
11-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Hey guys don't give up, a lot of modern day mysteries can be covered in the database :

The helix missions actually unlock intel for the modern day plot,also, germain as some sort of connection with demolay and aita that is never covered in the main plot,the supreme being have to be some connection to juno's plot.and the true goal of the project phoenix
Yeah I'm hoping there is alot of info given in those database entries we unlock through the rifts.

OpticSpecs
11-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Ubisoft has the power to surprise, Good and Bad

HiddenKiller612
11-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Feel free to leave the series... No one's really stopping you or forcing you to purchase each game. Face the facts, modern day has evolved into what it is. People complain and complain and complain. Nothing will ever satisfy you. Rabid fans, all nipping at Ubisoft's heels over so many minuscule things. Crying out downgrade, franchise ruined, and on, and on, and on. Really, did you buy the first game saying... Oooh, I get to play as some guy strapped in a machine 90% of the time. No? You were probably drawn to the series by Altair, by reliving the past through a machine called the animus. What do we still do in the series? We relive memories in the animus/helix. The past location, story, characters, etc... will always take precedent.

Assassin_M
11-10-2014, 07:01 AM
What ruined the series? Connor.

HiddenKiller612
11-10-2014, 07:04 AM
He iz wurst assassain evur. Potaoe face disgraice

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 07:14 AM

From the links in your sig, I thought you were gonna say Ezio. :rolleyes:

pirate1802
11-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Rogues story was poor and makes no sense.

Unity's story was predictable and did nothing.

Hah! I love these forums. :p

Hood2theBurbs
11-10-2014, 07:22 AM
It's pretty obvious it was Altair that ruined the series with his ever changing voice and accent.

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Feel free to leave the series... No one's really stopping you or forcing you to purchase each game. Face the facts, modern day has evolved into what it is. People complain and complain and complain. Nothing will ever satisfy you. Rabid fans, all nipping at Ubisoft's heels over so many minuscule things. Crying out downgrade, franchise ruined, and on, and on, and on. Really, did you buy the first game saying... Oooh, I get to play as some guy strapped in a machine 90% of the time. No? You were probably drawn to the series by Altair, by reliving the past through a machine called the animus. What do we still do in the series? We relive memories in the animus/helix. The past location, story, characters, etc... will always take precedent.

Actually I had no idea what assassin's creed was when I bought it... so all I knew was from the front cover and I didn't even know it was from the past...

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Hah! I love these forums. :p

Wait till everyone comes back... :rolleyes:

HiddenKiller612
11-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Actually I had no idea what assassin's creed was when I bought it... so all I knew was from the front cover and I didn't even know it was from the past...
Not a total surprise, I'm guessing you got into the series around AC3?

pirate1802
11-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Anyway, lolnope. What constitutes maybe 10% of gameplay time cannot ruin a franchise. It might for you personally, if you're invested in that minuscule section, but certainly not enough to make such a sweeping statement.

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Not a total surprise, I'm guessing you got into the series around AC3?

Nope when I said assassins creed without any number after I meant the first one... I got them both for sale in 2010... I might have seen the trailer on tv but that's about it... I had no idea what it was, I juts bought it because I wanted a new game...

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Anyway, lolnope. What constitutes maybe 10% of gameplay time cannot ruin a franchise. It might for you personally, if you're invested in that minuscule section, but certainly not enough to make such a sweeping statement.

Well making it annual certainly affected the entire game...

You can say that unity had 4 years development however back then they didn't know the problems that revelations 3 and 4 would have... but they had already started it... In my post I gave modern day as an example but said that the it being an annual franchise is what ruined it....

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 10:55 AM
What ruined and keeps continuously ruining the franchise?

Ubisoft's hunger for money.
Annual AC games.
Develop team and resource sharing.

SenseHomunculus
11-10-2014, 12:35 PM
What ruined and keeps continuously ruining the franchise?

Ubisoft's hunger for money.
Annual AC games.
Develop team and resource sharing.

Well, the first 2 points (and to a lesser extent, the third) are a direct result of Ubisoft being a "for profit", publicly-traded company. That means they exist first and foremost to make their shareholders happy. Don't lose sight of that. If that means, in the process, that they make gamers happy as well, then great! But as long as gamers buy their games, they're "doing it right". It might suck for us gamers, but it is what it is.

Sushiglutton
11-10-2014, 12:42 PM
I think removing MD is a solid decision. No point including it every year because "it's always been there".

I don't think the franchise is ruined, but I do think that the unwillingness to create more interesting mechanics are holding it back a lot.

The_Kiwi_
11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
You know what this is exactly like? Pirates of the Caribbean.
Gore Verbinski wanted it to be a trilogy, but when Disney wanted more money, they announced a fourth movie. What did Gore do? He left. He didn't agree with more movies being released.
And I think we all know how that fourth movie went after Gore left...

But what truly ruined this series for me was the inconsistency. Ezio, the worst character, got 3 games. That was so incredibly boring and painful. But how come every other character only got 1 game? Because of money, but that made the franchise feel inconsistent.
Picasso didn't make art based on what the public liked, he worked on what he wanted
Ubisoft should do what they want with the franchise, instead of caring what the public wants
And for all we know, the public that complains about aspects which Ubisoft then change could be majority children

I'd definitely prefer a game with 100% creative vision from Ubisoft, instead of catering to the public

OpticSpecs
11-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I believe Connor only joined the Assassin's because the Templars destroyed his village, if it were the other way around then he would join the Templars.

Its all about revenge in the end.

Just my opinion.

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 01:14 PM
I believe Connor only joined the Assassin's because the Templars destroyed his village, if it were the other way around then he would join the Templars.

Just my opinion.

I always knew that... u thought it was obvious... He wouldn't have cared about the assassins if it wasn't for his people being in danger... but ezio did it for revenge... but he learned about the assassins along the way and we had a sense of him being part of the assassins and wanting to. Connor was just trying to save his people which was worthless at the end. We spend the whole game to do one thing and then we don't do it... oh well...

Locopells
11-10-2014, 01:33 PM
You know what this is exactly like? Pirates of the Caribbean.
Gore Verbinski wanted it to be a trilogy, but when Disney wanted more money, they announced a fourth movie. What did Gore do? He left. He didn't agree with more movies being released.
And I think we all know how that fourth movie went after Gore left...

Yes, it became the 13th highest-grossing film of all time...

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I always knew that... u thought it was obvious... He wouldn't have cared about the assassins if it wasn't for his people being in danger... but ezio did it for revenge... but he learned about the assassins along the way and we had a sense of him being part of the assassins and wanting to. Connor was just trying to save his people which was worthless at the end. We spend the whole game to do one thing and then we don't do it... oh well...

Maybe THAT was the point. That sometimes even joining the Assassins/Templars can't fix everything and Connor understood that.

Ezio was fortunate. Connor was not.

And you're right. 50% of the reason he sought/joined the Assassins was because of his people.

The other 50% was his drive to ensure that all people were free like he was once was, and the Assassin's ideals/philosophy aligning with his.

Not trying to argue, just inserting my two cents about that. ;)

The_Kiwi_
11-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Yes, it became the 13th highest-grossing film of all time...

Because of Hype :p
It's the worst received PotC movie of them all, but that didn't stop it from doing well

AC3 is the most successful AC game (I believe), but it is still panned as the worst of the series by most
AC3 is the "On Stranger Tides" of AC; all the expectations, none of the deliverance, yet people already spent money to play it/see it, so it became successful...

And about Connor, his people were still Assassin allies, so if Assassin's burned down his village, I personally think that he would have just tried to figure out why
His mama, his favourite person ever, was always an assassin sympathiser, so I don't think he'd want to betray her

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Just my opinion.

No, it's not all about revenge. Connor would have killed Washington after the grand reveal, if it was. Or he would never have tried to start a truce between the two orders. :p

Also, the Templars didn't burn down his village.

It's been almost a whole year on the forum, partaking in so many story discussions that says otherwise, and your mind is still fixed on that? Come on, king-hailz.

First of all, no, it's not obvious, and it's not a opinion (so don't try that). AC:3's story is not a revenge tale. We know what's an avenger, and that's Ezio.

Connor joined the Assassins because their ideology and goals align. --> Peace through freedom. That's the opposite of what the Templars wanted. So if the situations were reversed, there would be a hell lot more self-conflict, and most likely another Assassin's Creed Rogue, AKA, Shay Cormac.

Second, the later sequences says otherwise

1. Connor's many lectures for NOT killing the Templars from Achilles.
2. Connor's dream of jointing the two orders after meeting his father.
3. Connor allowing Washington to live after knowing Washington was responsible for harming his village.
4. Pretty much Connor's unbreakable belief in the Assassins' endeavors despite all that has happened.

Also, Connor failing to save his people are the Assassins' *worthless* goal in the nutshell. Just saying.

-------------------

About Ezio, nah. It was mostly about Ezio, and just Ezio. That's why he let Rodrigo lived in the end of AC:2. Because it was about him moving on and not the Assassins.

OpticSpecs
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
(Also, the Templars didn't burn down his village.) @Fatal

Thats were your wrong, Charles Lee burnt down the village with the rest of the guys Haytham recruited, And their all Templars, Didn't you watch the end of sequence three. Were they welcome Lee to the order. The Templars did burn down the village.

Haytham tells Connor that he told Charles to avoid that village.

The other stuff you wrote, I agree with you.

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Thats were your wrong, Charles Lee burnt down the village with the rest of the guys Haytham recruited, And their all Templars, Didn't you watch the end of sequence three. Were they welcome Lee to the order. The Templars did burn down the village.

This should explain that:http://youtu.be/2sR5EqkCWDk

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 02:41 PM

I played the entire game, way past sequence 3. In the later sequences (around the end, I believe), it was revealed that Washington was responsible, not the Templars. The Templars were there earlier, yes, but they didn't harm the village. IIRC, they were there to warn the people or something.

Someone will need to refresh my memory on this.

There are more than one reasons why Haytham said so.

1. He did, and Charles was defending the village.

2. He said so because he didn't know who was responsible.

3. He said so to keep Connor from knowing the truth.

OpticSpecs
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
I watched the video, And it seems I was wrong. Washington burnt down the village. but Haytham does tell Connor, he told Lee to avoid the village.

Thanks Namikze.for the video

Am gonna have to play AC3 again.

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
I watched the video, And it seems I was wrong. Washington burnt down the village. but Haytham does tell Connor, he told Lee to avoid the village.

Thanks Namikze.for the video

Of Course, mate. :)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Nothing has ruined the franchise yet, that I've seen. Sure, mistakes were made, but it's still one of the most successful franchises in gaming history.

MakimotoJin
11-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Nothing has ruined the franchise yet, that I've seen. Sure, mistakes were made, but it's still one of the most successful franchises in gaming history.

I'm sorry,I can't stop looking at your join date.Did you really join in 2003?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry,I can't stop looking at your join date.Did you really join in 2003?

Yeah, I did. If I recall correctly I joined sometime after Ubisoft released Silent Hunter II. So yeah, a long time before the first Assassin's Creed.

RzaRecta357
11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Seriously upset that they got rid of the main story pretty much.

killzab
11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Seriously, what's the point of the franchise now ? are all games going to be "self contained" stories ? There's no stakes anymore ... All the stories are going to be pointless now... What's the point of ACU's story ?

There's no stake because it all happened in the past so nothing that major can happen and we already know how History unfolded.

SlyTrooper
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Seriously, what's the point of the franchise now ? are all games going to be "self contained" stories ? There's no stakes anymore ... All the stories are going to be pointless now... What's the point of ACU's story ?

There's no stake because it all happened in the past so nothing that major can happen and we already know how History unfolded.

It's relevant within itself. That's like saying a new IP is pointless because it doesn't have a story to follow on from.

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
True...ever since Connor, we haven't had an Assassin who's story affects the MD.

Arguably Shay helped way more in MD than Arno and he's not even an Assassin.

Or maybe we can interpret Arno's monologue as a lesson some sort for MD Assassins & Templars?

Rugterwyper32
11-10-2014, 05:19 PM
When it comes to modern day, from the moment AC2 barely progressed it at all and the series went Giorgio Tsoukalos on us and proceeded to put the satellite plot in the backburner, you should all have seen this becoming a cluster****. Because it was gonna happen, you don't just introduce a main goal in the story and then in the point that's meant to be the halfway point override it with something even more urgent that'll complicate anything beyond belief. The series is better off without modern day, it's just a glorified framing device anyway, and it's fine that way. So far, the only modern day plots I've enjoyed are AC1 and AC4. And I give some credit to Brotherhood, if only because the Colosseum/Church segment was very much haunting and memorable on its own way, even if it's a mess. But yeah, the series is frankly doing the right thing slowly turning modern day into something very much minor. Though I agree the modern day characters should get names to avoid confusion

As for what's put the series in the situation it's currently in? To a degree it's annualization, but I think it also has a lot to do with how they handle these development teams and how huge they are, and the fact there's pretty much no competition for this series. Sure, Shadow of Mordor might have similar gameplay (or at least seems so, haven't played it) but when it comes to historical games, where is every other company making something that gives AC a run for its money? A good quality historical game that isn't an RTS? I can think of The Saboteur, and if that's the only one option we can think of, I think it's easy to see why Ubisoft doesn't even need to worry about the end quality of the series, nothing is pushing them to give more time to their devs and ensure it's a game as polished as it can be. I'm sure many people jumped onto this series because of the historical part of things, I know I'm among them. And this industry, like many others, revolves around competition, companies will have to do their best to outdo the others. But Ubisoft holds, by all means, a monopoly on these kind of historical adventures, and even then it's far from a bad franchise, it's actually pretty great and I still love it. But it's become complacent and safe, should we say, as there's nothing pushing Ubi to take any risks or experiment in any interesting ways. The formula works and there's no other franchise that's going on ahead and makes them think "Hey, maybe we should add a new something" or "maybe we should polish this even further". At least that's my take on it.
Oh, and the fanbase. This fanbase is honestly a mess, it's not Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase levels of bad, but sometimes going through these forums feels as if the fanbase doesn't know what they want of the series. It's chaotic.

killzab
11-10-2014, 05:47 PM
It's relevant within itself. That's like saying a new IP is pointless because it doesn't have a story to follow on from.

Nope, because AC was always about using the past to move forward in the modern day story, if you remove the modern component, then there's no point to go back in time and visit past Assassins.

Assassin_M
11-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Nope, because AC was always about using the past to move forward in the modern day story, if you remove the modern component, then there's no point to go back in time and visit past Assassins.
"Our game is set during the third crusade and it stars an arrogant Assassin who has to redeem his honor by learning from his mistakes"
Altair, get apple
Altair, stop this ****
Altair, you killed my brother!!
Altair, you fool
Altair, Kill Templars
yeah yeah, just shut up and give me my honor back
Altair, Al-mualim is crazy
I must investigate this myself
Holy crud, what is this apple?
map?
*ends*

"This year, our game features Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, a charismatic playboy driven by revenge"

I am king of the world
oh no, my family's dead
i must avenge
ooh a hood
ooh codex
screw that shiz, wanna kill templarz
you are an assassin
whaaaaaaaaa?
must kill zpaniard
zpaniard haz apple?
it's all true? codex? apple?
apple has magnificent powers, must hide
apple is stolen, must find
we have apple
oooohhh map?
map of the entire world?
"Oooohhhh so that's what the map is"
oh my juno, the vault is in roma
what the-?
*ends*

Don't see a need for modern day. Any tying could be done by Ubi PR.

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 07:41 PM
No, it's not all about revenge. Connor would have killed Washington after the grand reveal, if it was. Or he would never have tried to start a truce between the two orders. :p

Also, the Templars didn't burn down his village.

It's been almost a whole year on the forum, partaking in so many story discussions that says otherwise, and your mind is still fixed on that? Come on, king-hailz.

First of all, no, it's not obvious, and it's not a opinion (so don't try that). AC:3's story is not a revenge tale. We know what's an avenger, and that's Ezio.

Connor joined the Assassins because their ideology and goals align. --> Peace through freedom. That's the opposite of what the Templars wanted. So if the situations were reversed, there would be a hell lot more self-conflict, and most likely another Assassin's Creed Rogue, AKA, Shay Cormac.

Second, the later sequences says otherwise

1. Connor's many lectures for NOT killing the Templars from Achilles.
2. Connor's dream of jointing the two orders after meeting his father.
3. Connor allowing Washington to live after knowing Washington was responsible for harming his village.
4. Pretty much Connor's unbreakable belief in the Assassins' endeavors despite all that has happened.

Also, Connor failing to save his people are the Assassins' *worthless* goal in the nutshell. Just saying.

-------------------

About Ezio, nah. It was mostly about Ezio, and just Ezio. That's why he let Rodrigo lived in the end of AC:2. Because it was about him moving on and not the Assassins.

Wow... I think your right... ezios was a revenge story and I feel like along the way he started to get closer and closer to the assassin's... like from the speech where he saves that burning man...

And your right about Connor I was wrong... However I still think there are many things wrong with condors character that make him extremely unlikable to ME. Also many things wrong with that game overall...

I do see Connor in a different light. HOWEVER! If it wasn't an annual franchise I think AC3 would have been better and better received.

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 07:56 PM
First of all there is a difference between successful and actually good... Also the story didn't really progress in AC2 except we met awesome characters that I really enjoyed and will never forget that first time we meet Rebecca and shaun! It also introduced the first civilization... However it was more about what's to come... We were training Desmond and we thought the rest would be amazing! Brotherhood was going amazing... It progressed and a massive twist happened that also was fun to play... revelations didn't progress much but subject 16 was great and it was fun to interact with him... 3 progressed loads... and we started to understand Desmond more and relate to him... We killed important people... so it was very important! It was also fun... but then Desmond died... ac4 was nothing and now acu is nothing... AC rogue is the same as ac4 HOWEVER I really liked violet and thought it was fun to interact with her...

Assassin_M
11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
It also introduced the first civilization
No, AC I did that.

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 08:11 PM
HOWEVER! If it wasn't an annual franchise I think AC3 would have been better and better received.

I agree!

Methward923
11-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Well I for one really enjoy the moder day stories.

Also..

there really isn't a md story in Unity?

About Connor, I think people might've disliked him on some level, because we got Ezio three games straight and people got used to playing as him and getting to like his character more and more and when Connor came he was, well different than Ezio. I personally enjoyed Connor's story too.

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 08:31 PM
About Connor, I think people might've disliked him on some level, because we got Ezio three games straight and people got used to playing as him and getting to like his character more and more and when Connor came he was, well different than Ezio. I personally enjoyed Connor's story too.

If only the reason was this simple...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Well I for one really enjoy the moder day stories.

Also..

there really isn't a md story in Unity?

The main story path features a minimum amount of MD, really.

However, via the Helix Rift missions you collect different documents that tell more about what's happening on the Modern Day (plus, judging by the Initiates podcast with its director, there's more real-time connectivity between Initiates and the game, allowing for more MD story progression) and nobody really knows here the extent of how much MD content there is based on that.

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 08:40 PM
However, via the Helix Rift missions you collect different documents that tell more about what's happening on the Modern Day.
Without any major spoilers...what kind of documents are they? Letters, audio files, videos, crypted messages...or all of them?

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I always want to play ac3 again but I HATE playing as haytham being limited by everything! I seriously think that part is so annoying!

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Without any major spoilers...what kind of documents are they? Letters, audio files, videos, crypted messages...or all of them?

Hell if I know, I haven't played the game yet and haven't seen anybody open them :p

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Hell if I know, I haven't played the game yet and haven't seen anybody open them :p

Maaaan...then how do you know that? :)

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Maaaan...then how do you know that? :)

Because I've seen gameplay vids. I just haven't seen people opening up the rewards.

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Because I've seen gameplay vids. I just haven't seen people opening up the rewards.

OK, understood. :)
Have you seen something about the Nostradamus "missions"?

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 10:02 PM
OK, understood. :)
Have you seen something about the Nostradamus "missions"?

A little part of it. I've seen how people would find glyphs on walls with Eagle Vision, ala AC2, and that will give you some kind of riddle that you need to solve.

Mr_Stunner
11-10-2014, 10:05 PM

This, having multiple team working on multiple game simultaneously makes it impossible to connect the games on the modern day storyline because their different points of view will come in to play, so instead of agree on disagree they decide to each game have its own modern day. In my opinion it is a shame.
I miss the days of that criptic feeling about modern day, all the mistery, conspirancy and shocking endings. It would bond all the franchise together...
I still hope AC goes back to the bi-annual or even tri-annual franchise... Come on there is no deny that the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Butman Arkham are more loveable because they are no yearly and they feel unique and innovative every time.

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 10:18 PM
A little part of it. I've seen how people would find glyphs on walls with Eagle Vision, ala AC2, and that will give you some kind of riddle that you need to solve.

Sweeeeeet. :)
A kind of "Truth 2" would be cool. But I know, this isn't going to happen.

The_Kiwi_
11-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I always want to play ac3 again but I HATE playing as haytham being limited by everything! I seriously think that part is so annoying!

I hated it too
Worst thing is, we weren't told it'll happen
So we had no idea what was happening
And it lasted a quarter of the game...

king-hailz
11-10-2014, 11:18 PM
I hated it too

yes...

Megas_Doux
11-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I hated it too

It was worse, way worse in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty haha.

RA503
11-10-2014, 11:26 PM
I think that the helix missions rewards is like the hacks of black flag,who knows if the settings in the beggining is in the database all the time but the guys on youtube play the game on berserk mode and don't see it,thinking that database is for ''geeks'' .

pirate1802
11-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Meh. I loved the Haytham sequences. If given a choice I'd choose to play the whole game as him.

*walks away before angry fans besiege him*

*returns for one last quip*

PS: The Templar twist was a nice one. One you wouldn't get without playing as one. And it would be ruined if 'we were told'. People hankering about why they chose to reveal the time anomaly missions? That's just them rectifying their mistake and telling people far and wide. They're telling this time. Be happy!

*walks away for real*

cawatrooper9
11-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I am not hating, I am stating fact.

Nah, this whole post is entirely your opinion. I'd venture to say that the franchise isn't even "ruined", at least from my perspective.

Namikaze_17
11-11-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't think this series is "ruined" per se, its just taken a different turn as all.

Some of us enjoy it, Some don't. It happens.

However, what's really killing AC is the lack of attractive females... :rolleyes:

Except for Elise and Bishop. :p

Fatal-Feit
11-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Nah, this whole post is entirely your opinion. I'd venture to say that the franchise isn't even "ruined", at least from my perspective.

This, haha. IMO, the franchise is back.

Methward923
11-11-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't think this series is "ruined" per se, it's just taken a different turn as all.

Some of us enjoy it, Some don't. It happens.

However, what's really killing AC is the lack of attractive females... :rolleyes:

haha this ;)

p.s. AC 4 had Anne Bonny, she was pretty hot though

The_Kiwi_
11-11-2014, 11:50 PM
what's really killing AC is the lack of attractive females... :rolleyes:

mmmmm this deliciousness
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091204013035/assassinscreed/images/0/07/Zw-Rebecca_Crane-1.png

Namikaze_17
11-11-2014, 11:59 PM
mmmmm this deliciousness
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091204013035/assassinscreed/images/0/07/Zw-Rebecca_Crane-1.png

My Man. :cool:

DivineOne11
11-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Seek and ye shal find

Charles_Phipps
11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the Modern Story ended with AC3.

Now it's a NEW Modern story.

I wish they'd end the Juno plot, so we can have different ones, though. Less apocalyptic ones.

The Modern plots are a major appeal, though.

steveeire
11-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Bring back MD is was the best part of Assassins Creed.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
This, having multiple team working on multiple game simultaneously makes it impossible to connect the games on the modern day storyline because their different points of view will come in to play.

They could have written an overarching plot 5 years ago and the writers could easily use that as a guideline for whatever game they're working on, based on the release date. It's not rocket science.

joelsantos24
11-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Agreed.

Fans have complained about the meta-story being convoluted, redundancy issues, yearly releases, etc. But the bottom line is, you don't complaint unless the matter is relevant and meaningful to you.

Unity is fantastic, I'm truly loving every second of it, despite seeing sometimes NPC's becoming part of pillars, walls and wagons, or people just appearing on rooftops and start running while standing still, or even seeing friends in Co-op climbing rooftops and keep climbing and climbing when there's no longer a rooftop to begin with. There are numerous errors that we no longer expected to see, not since the days of PS1 or PS2, anyway. But the matter of fact is, none of those errors, and I admit I've been lucky because I haven't had that many or that serious, and considering that friends of mine have had worse problems to deal with, are effectively ruining my experience. At least not that much. What all of this tells us, is that it's a new game engine and the game itself just wasn't ready to be released.

Never, in any given time since AC1 was released, have I ever felt that the series was in danger of becoming less relevant in the gaming context. It remains one of the most successful series ever, and it doesn't seem it's going to change anytime soon.