PDA

View Full Version : AC: Unity Story Discussion[SPOILERS]

dimbismp
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Here,people who have completed the main story can express their opinion about it.It would be ideal if you provided both a non-spoilery and a spoilery review.You should alsotell us how good the ending was..I will also make a small poll,just for the sake of it.

So,from what i have heard so far,the story is good,but predictable.Most people who have played the game,conclude to this.But,they say that the ending is neither mindblowing(AC2) nor a closed one (AC4).

I caught a glimpse of a youtube video thumbnail,in which:
Arno fights with pierre.Kind of predictable

Also,i couldn't resist,so i watched the final minute or something:
Arno wasin a fraveyard,possibly at Elise's resting place.Then,the screen goes black and after many years,Arno is with the Napoleon and some other guys in a tomb.Arno sees a skull,the camera zooms in and this is it.I didn't understand why this was important and i want to find out myself.Also,Arno obtained the Sword of Eden(he sheathed it,so it must be usable) from the Temple presumably,judging from the video's title.Anyway,i just hope that the ending wasn't made for the sole reason of teasing the Dead Kings DLC.

Finally,i think the main reason the sory is predictable,without experiencing it myself,is that
Elise 99% dies.Some peoplehave said that and also it is on par with the ending

Radman500
11-09-2014, 07:25 PM
any info on Juno?

Kaschra
11-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Also,i couldn't resist,so i watched the final minute or something:Arno wasin a fraveyard,possibly at Elise's resting place.Then,the screen goes black and after many years,Arno is with the Napoleon and some other guys in a tomb.Arno sees a skull,the camera zooms in and this is it.I didn't understand why this was important and i want to find out myself.Also,Arno obtained the Sword of Eden(he sheathed it,so it must be usable) from the Temple presumably,judging from the video's title.Anyway,i just hope that the ending wasn't made for the sole reason of teasing the Dead Kings DLC.

That whole scene was like... advertising the Dead King DLC IN the main game. WTF

Finally,i think the main reason the sory is predictable,without experiencing it myself,is thatElise 99% dies.Some peoplehave said that and also it is on par with the ending

Yepp, she dies. Boooring.

Radman500
11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
what about Juno

bitebug2003
11-09-2014, 07:45 PM
For the sake of having multiple review threads

We usually have one dedicated to Press reviews and a separate one dedicated to Community reviews

Considering there will be 2 main AC games this year (not counting the DLC) that could result in a 4 review threads.

I propose that we make this the main AC Unity Community review thread where everyone can post their thoughts, feedback etc.

The thread title should be changed though if their is consensus.

(be aware that the poll will reset though).

Thoughts?

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Her dying was weak as ****. They could've have the two get separated over a disagreement or something? Predictable. Arno fighting Pierre? Predictable. ( Sigh) I feel better that Rogue was better than this...

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Which death in a historical part of an AC game was unexpected? :rolleyes:

Radman500
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
come on guys im asking 1 simple question, what happens with Juno

IMRicko
11-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Story is meh. Predictable. The story flows smoothly from target to target, but it lacks the "omg" moments like AC2.

The fight with Bellec, Elise died, and the use of sword of eden at the end of the game are too predictable. Shay is not mentioned anywhere so I expect the next Ubi game to be about Arno looking for Shay because Shay didn't die and Arno still doesn't know who killed his father. Modern day is just dull. No mention about first civilization and Juno

pineal_gland
11-09-2014, 07:50 PM
what about Juno

No Juno and no TWCB stuff whatsoever...

Radman500
11-09-2014, 07:51 PM
wow......how can they not have TWCB seeing as its an established centerpoint in the series

bitebug2003
11-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Ok thread title changed

All AC: UNITY Community Reviews/feedback should be posted in this thread

Any new threads will be merged with this one.

(The poll didn't reset) Yay!

pineal_gland
11-09-2014, 07:56 PM
wow......how can they not have TWCB seeing as its an established centerpoint in the series

To appeal more to the masses i think?..
I can remember that a lot of people were complaining about the modern day and TWCB part of the game.

Radman500
11-09-2014, 07:58 PM
To appeal more to the masses?..
I can remember that a lot of people were complaining about the modern day and TWCB part of the game.
ok...but it's been so well-established in the series that they can't just drop that storyline

this angers me

dxsxhxcx
11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
ok...but it's been so well-established in the series that they can't just drop that storyline

this angers me

this will probably be handled in Initiates...

dimbismp
11-09-2014, 08:01 PM
I mean why the hell did they kill elise?This was the most predictable thing EVER.And why do they have to kill almost everyone the protagonist loves(yusuf,mary,blackbeard,elise)?
Plz,just don't tell me why it happened,who was involved etc.

So,another "not great" AC story.I was hoping for that.Next year maybe:mad:

Radman500
11-09-2014, 08:02 PM
so their is absolutely no talk of TWCB/precursors in Unity, no mention....No POE'

pineal_gland
11-09-2014, 08:05 PM
so their is absolutely no talk of TWCB/precursors in Unity, no mention....No POE'

Yeah, there's a POE, but that's about it.

mgg93
11-09-2014, 08:07 PM
I will NEVER understand Ubisoft's obsession with killing off EVERY main character's wife/girlfriend/lover/soon to be and have everyone's life full of senseless tragedy. I mean:

Altaïr: Maria dies.
Ezio: Cristina dies, then Ezio dies while Sofia is still very young (which is natural knowing their age difference but still annoying)
Connor: No comments about Connor, don't even get me started.
Edward: Caroline dies, hell, even Mary Read dies when there was a little "spark" between them.

BONUS:
Aiden Pearce: Clara dies.
Prince of Persia: Farah dies, goes back in time and saves her.

And now Elise. Really, Ubi?? Really? I was hoping for Unity to stop this insanity.

I am SO mad right now I can't even.

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 08:08 PM
I mean why the hell did they kill elise?This was the most predictable thing EVER.And why do they have to kill almost everyone the protagonist loves(yusuf,mary,blackbeard,elise)?

Well, without spoiling the circumstances or events or anything....

The game focuses on obsessions. Different characters represent different extremes, and killing Elise serves to prove a point. If the focus of the game would be a love story between an Assassin and a Templar, then yes, killing Elise would be pretty pointless and stupid, but it's not a love story.

Kaschra
11-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Which death in a historical part of an AC game was unexpected? :rolleyes:

Yusuf's for sure. Kanentokon too IMO
Depending on how much you know about historical characters, some other deaths could be unexpected.
Killing of Elise was way to predictable...

dimbismp
11-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Well, without spoiling the circumstances or events or anything....

The game focuses on obsessions. Different characters represent different extremes, and killing Elise serves to prove a point. If the focus of the game would be a love story between an Assassin and a Templar, then yes, killing Elise would be pretty pointless and stupid, but it's not a love story.

Well,thank you for answering.If you have watched a full walkthrough/played the game,could you rank the ACU's story?

Kaschra
11-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Well, Blackbeard and Mary died because they were historical characters who really died during that point in time.

Yeah, there's a POE, but that's about it.

That's it? Really? Oh man... :/

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Yusuf's for sure. Kanentokon too IMO
Depending on how much you know about historical characters, some other deaths could be unexpected.
Killing of Elise was way to predictable...

Disagree with Yusuf. He's got a 'I'M GONNA DIE' mark all over him.
Kanentokon partially agree. I figured he'd die, and that it would be for historical reasons, but didn't expect Connor himself to be the killer, so yeah, there's that.
Killing Elise was expected, I agree. I disagree that it's inherently a bad thing. Her death serves a point in the story, and it's not a 'motivate the character by dying' kind of thing either.

Well,thank you for answering.If you have watched a full walkthrough/played the game,could you rank the ACU's story?

Without any concrete spoilers...

It's hard to say without digesting it properly and experiencing all the side-content (as I know some characters from the main story are featured there as well, thus fleshing them out).

But basing on main storyline alone, it didn't top ACIV for me. It's certainly is in the top-3, though.

The thing is, in terms of style, the story is closer to AC1, with a conspiracy part mixed from AC2 and one deep interpersonal relationship mixed from AC3.

It's certainly interesting, but it's also more of a 'contemplative' story than it is an 'emotional' one. As an example, think The Dark Knight and Spider-Man (whichever you prefer, Raimi or Amazing if you watched one). If games like AC2 or AC4 are like Spider-Man, very character based and emotionally connective, AC1 and ACU are more like The Dark Knight, they're more about concepts and points rather than characters.

ACU's got some beautiful moments, though, and, unlike AC2, it does conspiracies right :p Conspiracies are actually unraveled rather than just 'welp, here's a list of names, go get them... oh, you killed them all now, here's a second list of names in a different city, go kill all of them aswell...'

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 08:31 PM
And that last fight with Arno & Germain wasn't like anything we saw before, right? :rolleyes:

And Elise's death was stupid and pointless. Not to mention I thought the execution was so predictable and movie-like as well.

RA503
11-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Germain is a sage ?

dimbismp
11-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Disagree with Yusuf. He's got a 'I'M GONNA DIE' mark all over him.
Kanentokon partially agree. I figured he'd die, and that it would be for historical reasons, but didn't expect Connor himself to be the killer, so yeah, there's that.
Killing Elise was expected, I agree. I disagree that it's inherently a bad thing. Her death serves a point in the story, and it's not a 'motivate the character by dying' kind of thing either.

Without any concrete spoilers...

It's hard to say without digesting it properly and experiencing all the side-content (as I know some characters from the main story are featured there as well, thus fleshing them out).

But basing on main storyline alone, it didn't top ACIV for me. It's certainly is in the top-3, though.

The thing is, in terms of style, the story is closer to AC1, with a conspiracy part mixed from AC2 and one deep interpersonal relationship mixed from AC3.

It's certainly interesting, but it's also more of a 'contemplative' story than it is an 'emotional' one. As an example, think The Dark Knight and Spider-Man (whichever you prefer, Raimi or Amazing if you watched one). If games like AC2 or AC4 are like Spider-Man, very character based and emotionally connective, AC1 and ACU are more like The Dark Knight, they're more about concepts and points rather than characters.

ACU's got some beautiful moments, though, and, unlike AC2, it does conspiracies right :p Conspiracies are actually unraveled rather than just 'welp, here's a list of names, go get them... oh, you killed them all now, here's a second list of names in a different city, go kill all of them aswell...'

So,what you say is that you liked the stoey.Cool
But,i assume that in the main story there were around 10 assassinations?Did it feel eepetitive like AC1?

Off topic:Will you add ACU in your stealth sheet?I hope it will top the list

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 08:40 PM
So,what you say is that you liked the stoey.Cool
But,i assume that in the main story there were around 10 assassinations?Did it feel eepetitive like AC1?

Off topic:Will you add ACU in your stealth sheet?I hope it will top the list

I will add it to the spreadsheet, but only once I play it myself.

Starting with sequence 3, every sequence has got an assassination mission of one sort or another, so there's plenty of assassinations. They seem pretty varied, though it's hard to say without playing it.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 08:42 PM
I gave it 1 because of no modern day...

dimbismp
11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I will add it to the spreadsheet, but only once I play it myself.

Starting with sequence 3, every sequence has got an assassination mission of one sort or another, so there's plenty of assassinations. They seem pretty varied, though it's hard to say without playing it.

One last question:I opened a spoiler tag and i realised that he main antagonist is called germain.Will this spoil the mystery for me?I mean knowing his name?

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 08:45 PM
And that last fight with Arno & Germain wasn't like anything we saw before, right? :rolleyes:

And Elise's death was stupid and pointless. Not to mention I thought the execution was so predictable and movie-like as well.

*vague but possibly heavy spoilers*

It's not pointless. Every character who is a representation of a certain extreme dies in ACU. The characters who survive, like obviously Arno and Napoleon, are willing to compromise.

Elise is the closest character that Arno has got in the whole game, and as Arno represents compromise and willingness to change, Elise represents the opposite. As she is the second most important character in the game, what the story tries to tell about obsessions and extremes wouldn't be accentuated if she hadn't died.

One last question:I opened a spoiler tag and i realised that he main antagonist is called germain.Will this spoil the mystery for me?I mean knowing his name?

Yes, but only for about a sequence or two before it is revealed.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 08:47 PM

A fight of father vs son. No one has seen that before.....

With that being said, I am looking for the journey, not necessarily the destination.

RA503
11-09-2014, 08:51 PM
A question :
Germain is a templar,assassin ? what ?

Mike111690
11-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Yea I wasn't a fan of the story at all. Most of it was meh, boring, and completely predictable. Didn't help that Arno wasn't exactly all that great of a protagonist either. The ones who came before plot line was also nonexistent which made me even more angry when it pertains to Unity's story.

Z0mbieB0y
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Templar, and even something else...

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
A fight of father vs son. No one has seen that before.....

But at least that was done first in AC. What happened in Unity ( minus Elise) is very parallel to another story I've seen before. :rolleyes:

*vague but possibly heavy spoilers*

It's not pointless. Every character who is a representation of a certain extreme dies in ACU. The characters who survive, like obviously Arno and Napoleon, are willing to compromise.

Elise is the closest character that Arno has got in the whole game, and as Arno represents compromise and willingness to change, Elise represents the opposite. As she is the second most important character in the game, what the story tries to tell about obsessions and extremes wouldn't be accentuated if she hadn't died.

You have a point...and what Arno learned is great. But her dying just didn't do it for me. Especially since nearly EVERYONE predicted it weeks before.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 09:24 PM
But at least that was done first in AC. What happened in Unity ( minus Elise) is very parallel to another story I've seen before. :rolleyes:

What???????

First time????

DARTH VADER VS LUKE SKYWALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver, Kain vs Raziel
Tekken,Jinpachi vs Heihachi vs Kazuya vs Jin.
Metal Gear, Big Boss vs Snake.
God of War, Kratos vs Zeus.

And like 48938423094802394893024809238402394823 examples in any media or even history, ever..........

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
What???????

First time????

DARTH VADER VS LUKE SKYWALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver, Kain vs Raziel
Tekken,Jinpachi vs Heihachi vs Kazuya vs Jin.
Metal Gear, Big Boss vs Snake.
God of War, Kratos vs Zeus.

And like 48938423094802394893024809238402394823 examples in any media or even history, ever..........

I think Namkze meant just the AC series. Though I'm not sure what is implied when it concerns the AC series as well.

You have a point...and what Arno learned is great. But her dying just didn't do it for me. Especially since nearly EVERYONE predicted it weeks before.

Yeah, but we've got stuff like Dead Kings DLC to thanks for that as well.

When I first saw Elise, I hoped she wouldn't die, she was awesome. But as the story unraveled, I was like, 'she can't not die, she just must die'.

And, honestly, it was sad for me. Because Elise genuinely cares about Arno.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I think Namkze meant just the AC series. Though I'm not sure what is implied when it concerns the AC series as well.

I see, still:

Father vs son has been rather used as well, Cesare killing Rodrigo, Altair killing his father figure....

Again, with games released yearly, writers run out of ideas.

Farlander1991
11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Father vs son has been rather used as well, Cesare killing Rodrigo, Altair killing his father figure....

Again, with games released yearly, writers run out of ideas.

The game had 4 years of development. Modern day part is affected by yearly releases, the historic part though - not really. Sites like TVtropes exist for a reason, there's ****tons of tropes used in almost every story, the important thing is how they are used and how the end result looks like.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 09:41 PM
The game had 4 years of development. Modern day part is affected by yearly releases, the historic part though - not really. Sites like TVtropes exist for a reason, there's ****tons of tropes used in almost every story, the important thing is how they are used and how the end result looks like.

I Agree:

I have only read the spoilers here, see how it fares

Besides, the Assassin switching sides has proven PRETTY common so far and Namikaze is not complaining about Rogue either. Shay is Duncan Walpole, only FAR less sloppy haha.

bitebug2003
11-09-2014, 10:07 PM
This isn't a review thread but rather a Story discussion thread

Updated thread title again

We do need a review thread for JUST reviews for both AC: Unity and AC: Rogue

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I Agree:

I have only read the spoilers here, see how it fares

Besides, the Assassin switching sides has proven PRETTY common so far and Namikaze is not complaining about Rogue either. Shay is Duncan Walpole, only FAR less sloppy haha.

No, I'm not complaining. Both Rogue & Unity have their flaws, but I thought Rogue presented itself better.

@Farlander
Thanks, for explaining what I meant with the "Father vs. Son" thing. ;)

GreatBeyonder
11-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I enjoy Unity's story, actually. I don't think we've had a murder mystery so far, and the writing's pretty good so far. My only annoyance is the modern stuff. It feels very shoehorned in.

bigbssbalrog
11-09-2014, 10:27 PM
While I thought Rogue was far superior, Pierre Bellec in general pushes it up to an 8 for me,
Best boss fight and villain in AC history

Hood2theBurbs
11-09-2014, 10:56 PM
I've seen most of Unity's story and it's pretty solid. Predictable sure but not bad by any means.

And I have to agree with Farlander if Elise had survived, the story would have felt lacking. Arno himself is a pretty good protagonist; some may find him dull but I like him. Everything he does is for Elise and while he may dress it up as redemption to soothe his guilty conscience it's pretty clear she's what is motivating him. Which makes it all the more sadder when she dies.

orduluaslan
11-09-2014, 11:49 PM
did anyone see about aveline, connor.ezio and the others video in unity? I find anythings about it that.

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Elise's last letter... the feels...

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 09:22 AM
A good way to judge Unity is to break down features of AC stories.

1) Supporting Cast - The Ezio games are not about Ezio but its also about hanging out with Machiavelli, Leonardo, Caterina. AC3 has a limited supporting cast for Connor. AC1 has Altair, Maria, Malik and the Rafiqs. AC4 has an awesome supporting cast.

Unity has Mirabeau, Elise, Bellec and Napoleon. The other Assassins are bore and Arno himself is a supporting player in Elise's story. Mirabeau is mostly flat. Its only our glimpses into some of the cool parts of history that he comes alive.

2) Villains - AC villains ought to be judged if they are complex, cool, scary or entertaining. Black Bart, Borgia, haytham and the targets in AC1 fulfill some or all this criteria.

The villains of ACU with the exception of are miserable bores with no personality, little complexity and the worst big villain of the series.

The main problem is that it has a laughably simple story about good versus evil or in this case moderates versus extremists. In the French revolution there was no simple division. The moderates became extreme and the extreme started to moderate. The moderates also started war while the extremes protested it. You cannot make a satisfying story in this context with a white knight hero like Arno who stands on the side trying to protect his girlfriend while never getting his hands dirty. You can't take such rich setting and context male a highly insulting simplification and expect it to work

DaveyNorton
11-10-2014, 10:01 AM
So, how about Robespierre? Did the game do him justice?

Were the leaks true? He was really a Templar? And what about Napoleon? I thought he was going to be a rogue third faction that will mess things up for both Assassins and Templars, so I wonder how far off I was.

And, generally, how history-driven was the game? More like AC III, where historical events shaped the Assassin vs. Templar plot, or like Brotherhood, where it merely served as a backdrop for Ezio's plot?

andrew_m50
11-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Does Shroud of Eden make an appearance in Unity?
I'm asking because Jacques de Molay possessed it for a while and we can play as him in Unity.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
So, how about Robespierre? Did the game do him justice?

Were the leaks true? He was really a Templar? And what about Napoleon? I thought he was going to be a rogue third faction that will mess things up for both Assassins and Templars, so I wonder how far off I was.

And, generally, how history-driven was the game? More like AC III, where historical events shaped the Assassin vs. Templar plot, or like Brotherhood, where it merely served as a backdrop for Ezio's plot?

The game is far and away the least historical of the games. Its supremely inaccurate and nonsensical. It has less to do with the setting than AC1 had to do with the crusades.

As for Robespierre. Its actually not a complete hatchet job which is to say this version does not eat babies unlike other stories but its still negative and laughably inaccurate.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Does Shroud of Eden make an appearance in Unity?
I'm asking because Jacques de Molay possessed it for a while and we can play as him in Unity.

No appearance. That part is very downplayed

pirate1802
11-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Well, I started watching the walkthroughs of Unity and the first observation that I can make is that...

Bishop is unbelievably hot :eek:

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Seriously, pirate1802? Just 19-ish more hours, man! :(

pirate1802
11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Seriously, pirate1802? Just 19-ish more hours, man! :(

Lol not for me. I mean I don't own a next (or current) gen console and my PC is way below those gigantic specs. So I've got nowhere to play it except for youtubez. The one game I can play (Rpgue) isn't getting released on PC anytime soon hehehe *pretends to laugh while secretively crying*

Fatal-Feit
11-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Lol not for me. I mean I don't own a next (or current) gen console and my PC is way below those gigantic specs. So I've got nowhere to play it except for youtubez. The one game I can play (Rpgue) isn't getting released on PC anytime soon hehehe *pretends to laugh while secretively crying*

Ah, I'm so sorry. And now I feel terrible.

Hey, at least you can spoil yourself silly. ;)

:nonchalance:

:(

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 12:12 PM
So I've seen one character from main storyline give out some Paris Stories missions, and another featured a bit in a co-op mission, so I wonder how much side-content will flesh out the characters from main storyline.

pirate1802
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Ah, I'm so sorry. And now I feel terrible.

Hey, at least you can spoil yourself silly. ;)

:nonchalance:

:(

yeah... I'd have to satiate myself with Farcry 4 this year. And tbh that game looks more interesting than both ACs to me. :/

Dev_Anj
11-10-2014, 12:34 PM
yeah... I'd have to satiate myself with Farcry 4 this year. And tbh that game looks more interesting than both ACs to me. :/

Why do you think Far Cry 4 is more interesting than AC: Unity or AC: Rogue? Also, I'm in the same position as you, my computer can't play Unity.

Sushiglutton
11-10-2014, 12:35 PM

You and me are tuned in like an old married couple. I'm in the exact same situation with the exact same view on things ;)!

CoachAssassin
11-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Sadly, the story was extremely predictable and completely not worth the epic gameplay Unity offers. It left more open endings then AC3 did, it's terrible.

So the worst part perhaps is that there is no real character depth besides Arno. Elise is bland and boring imo, and her dead was so damn obvious. The small plottwist of the guy u save being the new grandmaster/a sage was stupid as it had no real shock effect. There was no big revelation at the end or whatsoever. Ok, Du Molay was a sage and he was, we get it.
To be honest, the worst part is the Assassin Brotherhood. You barely get to really know any of them except for Bellec who is actually the best character of this entire game, from a writers perspective. The other master assassins are terribly blend and you know nothing of them. It's not really clear for me if Arno is now an Assassin again or that he just works for Napoleon, I'm thinking the latter.

Arno is somewhere inbetween Ezio and Edward, he wasn't too shabby I suppose. Modern Day is boring and has no value at all in this game. The so called rift missions are boring and just make you collect **** so you can run out of there again. Like 2-3 times they open a server bridge for u and thats it basically for MD. The only tie in was that the templar GM was a sage.

Did all of you notice Napoleon taking the apple btw :p?

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Sadly, the story was extremely predictable and completely not worth the epic gameplay Unity offers. It left more open endings then AC3 did, it's terrible.

So the worst part perhaps is that there is no real character depth besides Arno. Elise is bland and boring imo, and her dead was so damn obvious. The small plottwist of the guy u save being the new grandmaster/a sage was stupid as it had no real shock effect. There was no big revelation at the end or whatsoever. Ok, Du Molay was a sage and he was, we get it.
To be honest, the worst part is the Assassin Brotherhood. You barely get to really know any of them except for Bellec who is actually the best character of this entire game, from a writers perspective. The other master assassins are terribly blend and you know nothing of them. It's not really clear for me if Arno is now an Assassin again or that he just works for Napoleon, I'm thinking the latter.

Arno is somewhere inbetween Ezio and Edward, he wasn't too shabby I suppose. Modern Day is boring and has no value at all in this game. The so called rift missions are boring and just make you collect **** so you can run out of there again. Like 2-3 times they open a server bridge for u and thats it basically for MD. The only tie in was that the templar GM was a sage.

Yeah I did. Arno is officially the worst assassin of all time and a stooge for a dictator

Namikaze_17
11-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Well, I started watching the walkthroughs of Unity and the first observation that I can make is that...

Bishop is unbelievably hot :eek:

Brilliant minds think alike. :cool:

PedroAntonio2
11-10-2014, 03:31 PM
This is what happens when you hire a guy who is not familiar with the franchise to write the script for an AC game...why they didn't use Corey May to write the plot ? I know Darby was busy working in ACIV when they started to write ACU and now he is doing research for another AC game, but Corey May is free since ACIII, unless he is working in 2015' AC game or probably Ubisoft don't want him anymore. Either way, Travis Scout failed to write the game and I hope Ubisoft stops hiring noobs to work in AC...they hired some dudes I never heard before to compose the soundtrack for ACU and then hired the guy who wrote Fallout to write the game.

Megas_Doux
11-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Far Cry 4 looks kinda meh to me, not hyped at all.

MakimotoJin
11-10-2014, 04:31 PM

I haven't played Unity yet,but I've seen the beginning and ending.
You get a friggin' Sword of Eden in the end.I don't even care about the story,that is pretty,shiny,and I want it.Hell,I bought Brotherhood because I saw Ezio with the Piece of Eden.Also,When does Napoleon take the Apple?

Farlander1991
11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
You get a friggin' Sword of Eden in the end.I don't even care about the story,that is pretty,shiny,and I want it.Hell,I bought Brotherhood because I saw Ezio with the Piece of Eden.Also,When does Napoleon take the Apple?

In the middle of the game.

CoachAssassin
11-10-2014, 06:24 PM

he takes it when he first meets arno, during a brotherhood mission to retrieve some of the kings files. Arno just wants the files, Napoleon puts in the apple in his pocket behind arno :p. Also the SoE is broken, it doesn't work anymore.)

pirate1802
11-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Why do you think Far Cry 4 is more interesting than AC: Unity or AC: Rogue? Also, I'm in the same position as you, my computer can't play Unity.

Sorry I couldn't reply to your question yesterday since it was time for me to go home. (My office is the only place I can access the interwebz for the time being; yay more horror stories!) but anyway; I guess I'm just being burned out of the standard AC fare. Rogue seems intriguing storywise but the gameplay is same old.. same old. And Unity.. well on paper it's got everything one would want from an AC game but, somehow watching the walkthroughs, I'm conquered by an overbearing sense of been there, done that. Each and every bit, from the settings down to the story and protagonist. It's inexplicable but what's typical AC on paper doesn't excite me. That's why I figured that it might be franchise fatigue for me. Black Flag had an exotic fragrance to it, which enticed me to carry through it. Unity doesn't, I feel while returning to AC roots, it returned too close. And on some level Rogue doesn't have that feel as well. All my personal feelings ofcourse.

Farcry 4 on the other hand has that 'exotic' scent on it. Snow-capped mountains, vast plains, jungles and all. A free world to explore. And Farcry since 3, has curiously given the player a very typical ACesque freedom to approach missions. I also freely admit that my judgement of it might be biased becaue the settings in which the game takes place is very close to where I live. (One of the guys in a trailer even name-dropped my town. :D ) And the bad guys talk about in the same bhojpuri dialect of Hindi that I use to curse my friends, so the settings feels very much ..at home.

You and me are tuned in like an old married couple. I'm in the exact same situation with the exact same view on things ;)!

:D

Brilliant minds think alike. :cool:

I was like.... BEST MODERN DAY EVA!! 69/10!

Yeah I did. Arno is officially the worst assassin of all time and a stooge for a dictator

Haven't watched the whole of it yet but.. wasn't Ezio the same? (In Revelations)
Regardless, going by people's reactions.. I'm getting the feeling that poor Arno would be remembered as the least memorable assassin of the franchise.

This is what happens when you hire a guy who is not familiar with the franchise to write the script for an AC game...why they didn't use Corey May to write the plot ? I know Darby was busy working in ACIV when they started to write ACU and now he is doing research for another AC game, but Corey May is free since ACIII, unless he is working in 2015' AC game or probably Ubisoft don't want him anymore. Either way, Travis Scout failed to write the game and I hope Ubisoft stops hiring noobs to work in AC...they hired some dudes I never heard before to compose the soundtrack for ACU and then hired the guy who wrote Fallout to write the game.

They should hire me instead.

Seriously though, in his defense: Fallout games had some pretty good stories. Not all writers are fit for writing all forms of stories, however.

KevinTriforce
11-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Did you see the garbage he did for AC3 and the ****ty MD ending. After AC3 he can stay away. IMO

UrDeviant1
11-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Seriously, nothing about [SPOILER]Juno and TWCB[SPOILER] whatsoever in the game? What an incredible let down. It's like the brushing off of Daniel Cross all over again, but worse.

ace3001
11-13-2014, 02:49 PM
What a disappointing ending.

Despite all the performance issues plaguing the game, I went on with it because I was quite intrigued by the story. But then it had such a weak, disappointing conclusion.

First of all, why did Elise even have to die? It was so predictable when she left Arno trapped under the stone to go after Germain, so it didn't leave an emotional impact either.

Juno who? The overarching plot didn't move forward in the slightest. We're told to look for the sage, but then when we do find him, the Assassins are all "lol okay good job bye c u l8r yolo" and leave us hanging. Sure, it was explained off as his bones being too deteriorated to be of any use, but that's just a cheap way to drop it by the wayside and give a non ending to the story. At this rate, might as well just drop modern day entirely.

They made a huge show of the French revolution in trailers and gameplay videos, but then when the actual story ended, Arno had hardly done anything in regards to the revolution itself. He wasn't even really a part of it. He just used it cleverly to further his own personal vendetta. So much for "my countrymen have suffered" and "they shall have no justice without someone to fight in their name" and other muck that was spewed in the trailers. This is like Watch_Dogs and being a vigilante in that regard.

And then how did Arno even become an Assassin again? He gets a Master Assassin outfit at the end of the single player campaign and can continue using Assassin facilities like Cafe Theatre, but there's no explanation as to how, considering he was kicked out before.

Finally, we never got to see Arno growing out of his "muh revenge" phase. He's the same kind of brash young man that Ezio was, but we at least got to see Ezio growing out of that and becoming a wise Assassin in two other games. Hopefully, Dead Kings can help with this. Please, Ubisoft. Don't ruin it. Arno's a fun character and I want to see him actually grow.

Also, can you guys please stop posting Rogue spoilers in the Unity story discussion thread? Or at least label them as Rogue spoilers so that those of us who haven't played Rogue yet will be able to avoid them? I just read that (Rogue spoiler) Shay had something to do with Arno's father's death and I'm not sure how I feel about this since I won't be able to play the game until "Early 2015", whenever that will be.

RinoTheBouncer
11-13-2014, 02:55 PM
I was happy with the whole romance thing and how Elise wasn’t just some character we meet a few times, but rather an integral part of most of the missions. Their love story was so cute and well planned, and the balloon scene together? man I took so many screenshots. However, I was deeply disappointed by Elise’s death, because it was so predictable, so unnecessary and it was the easiest way to avoid making a sequel for her since they knew the fans will adore her and Arno together. I’m sorry, but it wasn’t a “deep” ending just because one of 2 lovers died. No, that’s an overused plot since the movies of the 1930s.

I was also deeply disappointed by the total lack of First Civ. “temples”, appearances, Juno story progression..etc. I mean there could be stuff thrown here and there in Rogue’s optional objectives and notes, but really, Juno is an important plot element that you can’t just ‘forget’ like this.

I loved the rest of the games though. But those are the parts I was deeply saddened by, because otherwise, I would’ve given both games 10/10.

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 01:51 AM
Well,i am at sequence 9 and so far the story was really...meh.It had ups,but also many downs.
Before i start my analysis,i need to mention that the main campaign feels very short.As i said,i have completed 3/4 of the cqmpaign and it feels like the story should have had this progression in 2-3 sequences or something.Especially after sequence 5 the story quality goes from bad to worse.So:At first,the story starts quite well,but i have to tell you that i knew more or less what was going to happen until sequence 3.(through the trailers etc).After that,sequences 4,5 and 6 were really good filled with mystery.But then,suddenly they decide to kill Mirabeu....I know that the real character died that time,but it felt too sudden.The mystery to find the killer is really short and laughable,but it leads to the best moment of the game so far,which is the bellec confrontation.One of the best moments in the series.Then,i was really surprised (negatively) that instead of trying to continue the search to find Germain,or MAYBE do something to help the order after the deaths of 2 important members,Arno is sent to tulleries to "FORREST GUMP" the important event,ummm i am sorry i meant to retrieve some documents.THIS ALMOST FELT LIKE A SIDE MISSION.After that,he just kills 2 templars for NO REASON.Why didn't he just look for Germain?!?!?These 2 assassinations are in complete contrast with the first 3,which had some reasoning behind them..Aand what is going to happen from now on ,in the next3 sequences(oh god i don't even believe that there are only 3 left)?Robespierre will appear,there will be a couple missions about him and then we kill Germain,Elise dies and voila!The perfect story.....
Almost all characters are criminally underused so far!Elise was almost absent until sequence 6 and from then on she is just Arno's girlfriend...She is supposed to try to avenge her father,but instead all she did until now is wait for Arno find the conspirators and kill them.And she just sends Arno to a difficult mission,witthout showing any emotion!!These 2 don't even seem like a couple.Elise doesn't even show Arno that she loves him.All we get is:"remember when we did that?".ACIV did a way better job portraying the Edward-Caroline relationship,through 1 minute cutscenes!!!Bellec was great while he wasn't absent,but this was quite little.This applies to Mirabeau too.Napoleon and De Sade just appear for 1-2 missions each!!!Why Ubisoft??Why all these characters that where advertised to play a pivotal role,actually do nothing and creat NO bond with Arno?I think i know the answer:BECAUSE EACH SEQUENCE IS 2-3 MISSIONS LONG!!!!!(and i suspect the reason behind this decision is coop).No character progression so far....+The assassin council does nothing after Mirabeau's death.Seriously?
As i said,the story was great until a certain point,but after that it shifts into:killing targets for NO REASON,allies dying with NONE EFFECT,meeting characters for "FORREST GUMPING",and speaking to Elise for the sake of having an AC realtionship.
Finally,regarding the ending(cause i have seen it),why the F*** did elise die?I would unterstand if she died previously,so that she could serve a reason,but why then?Not to mention the way she dies is really STUPID.
As i said though,i am still at the end of sequence 9,so things could drastically change.Still,the story is far from great.I was maybe harsh,but i was expecting a top quality story and thus i was disappointed.Still it is not terrible.

off-topic:1)are there any other side mission type except from:Paris stories,Murder mysteries,coop,helix rifts,nostradamus enigmas and cafe de arte missions?plz i need to know.
2)How many blackbox main assassinations are there except from:Sivert,King of Beggars,The "L" guy,Rouille,the woman in sequence 9 ?

Thanks

dimbismp
11-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Bump

BatsEendje
11-18-2014, 11:31 AM
That whole scene was like... advertising the Dead King DLC IN the main game. WTF

Time to add Élise to your signature.

BatsEendje
11-18-2014, 11:37 AM
And I mostly think they just smoke wééd while making the AC stories, because most of the stories don't even make sense or were just worthless/pointless in the end.

DevilGearKombat
11-18-2014, 01:39 PM
It was above average - an above average, predictable story. I had the ending mapped out in my mind before I entered the memory.